HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF | Game 4 |Canucks @ Kings | 04/21/10 | Series tied 2-2

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Not happy about this.. But apparently I got sniped just BEAKING Luongos face off on the CBC broadcast after the game..

Captain Morgan...

I have a whole entire probably entertaining but also embarrassing story to tell.. I'll keep it to myself.
You can't bring up it and then not tell it.

Also.. WTF is "BEAKING "?

Old
04-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Bernier 4-0 in the playoffs; 1.24 GAA 0.962 SA%

Quick 2-2 in the playoffs 3.06 GAA 0.903 SA%
This could not be more meaningless.

Bernier is facing minor league shots while Quick is facing NHL shots. (don't make me remind you all again how great JLB played in Manchester)

Quick still has to pick up his game (a lot!), but it's his playoffs. He got the Kings where they are today, just 2 wins away from the 2nd round. As a Kings fan, I would take that scenario each and every day.

Old
04-22-2010, 02:22 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲

vCash: 50
The kings should have won it last night

Old
04-22-2010, 02:27 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
You can't bring up it and then not tell it.

Also.. WTF is "BEAKING "?
Beaking.. Chirping.. Trash talking..

Old
04-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Series isn't over.....I'm sure the Kings are gonna come out strong tomorrow night. I was shocked that Ran y Jones actually made two solid plays in the 3rd last night (one of them saving a sure goal). Good job by him.

I still can't believe we tanked after going into the 3rd with a 3-2 lead

Old
04-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karzanPalani View Post
The kings should have won it last night
They should have, then the 3rd period started and they decided to stop playing.

Old
04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Harrold has a broken wrist according to Matt Barry
In addition to his broken hockey sense? That's gotta be rough.

Old
04-22-2010, 02:37 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
This could not be more meaningless.

Bernier is facing minor league shots while Quick is facing NHL shots. (don't make me remind you all again how great JLB played in Manchester)

Quick still has to pick up his game (a lot!), but it's his playoffs. He got the Kings where they are today, just 2 wins away from the 2nd round. As a Kings fan, I would take that scenario each and every day.
Bernier also has AHL defense in front of him, while Quick has NHL defense in front of him.....but your point on JLB is valid.

My gripe is that all of Quick's flaws- positioning, focus, rebound control, are all Bernier's strengths. So although I understand the plan to keep Bernier with the Monarchs, you can't deny that the series would be completely different if Bernier was in goal for the kings (maybe not results, but they'd be giving up different goals and making different saves)

Old
04-22-2010, 02:38 PM
GRuiz98

Send a message via AIM to GRuiz98
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
that was my first live playoff game, and man was being there something else. im pretty bummed we blew that game after dominating most of the first two periods. I had a great time and met some cool kings fans in section 206!!
where in 206 did you sit? The scalped tickets I ended up getting were in 206.

Old
04-22-2010, 03:00 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Bernier also has AHL defense in front of him, while Quick has NHL defense in front of him.....but your point on JLB is valid.

My gripe is that all of Quick's flaws- positioning, focus, rebound control, are all Bernier's strengths. So although I understand the plan to keep Bernier with the Monarchs, you can't deny that the series would be completely different if Bernier was in goal for the kings (maybe not results, but they'd be giving up different goals and making different saves)
While I agree Quick as some flaws, he has earned the respect of his team and the right to be playing. This playoffs is not just about this year. Next year I am hoping other teams will be jealous of our low cost, goalie tandem.

This is not Quick's series to win or lose. The team needs to support him better. The defense was running around a lot last night. I don't think any of Quicks goals were bad rebounds. There were guys left open. They canceled practice which means they can spend more time showing tape (ok in is on their laptops). Yes the coaches have limits on things like that.

Good news still is the PP. The PK did not do well last night but has been great the rest of the games. 5 on 5 still is an issue and with Vancouver getting the last change it won't get easier tomorrow. Kings can win 2 of 3. I expect line changes before and during the next game.

Old
04-22-2010, 03:23 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Ran y Jones
"Ran y Jones".....LOL...I read this board a lot and that's the first time I've seen that.

I think Quick's doing a good job but agree with others that a HUGE save last night could have changed things.

I don't like looking this far ahead, especially while the team is in the heat of a first round fight, but, looking to next year, I think most of us feel the job is Bernier's to lose. If he doesn't, and they make the post-season again, we all get to look forward to "how is the Kings rookie goaltender going to do in the playoffs", "he's untested", and so on......should be fun.

Old
04-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯Until April

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
"Ran y Jones".....LOL...I read this board a lot and that's the first time I've seen that.

I think Quick's doing a good job but agree with others that a HUGE save last night could have changed things.

I don't like looking this far ahead, especially while the team is in the heat of a first round fight, but, looking to next year, I think most of us feel the job is Bernier's to lose.
If he doesn't, and they make the post-season again, we all get to look forward to "how is the Kings rookie goaltender going to do in the playoffs", "he's untested", and so on......should be fun.
If he has a bad game, I'm sure this board will eat him alive like they have to Quick...right? Hmmm

I'm not even trying to fire up the goalie debate again...but I think it's funny that we can tell that "Quick is an average goalie at best" based on one full season, but that Bernier is the savior based on several NHL games and a body of AHL work. As if Quick certainly isn't going to get better and Bernier is a sure thing.

I just wish people would temper their expectations of our goalies and not just see what they want to see.

Old
04-22-2010, 03:39 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRuiz98 View Post
where in 206 did you sit? The scalped tickets I ended up getting were in 206.
top row in the section. i had an old chevy logo kings flag waving around from time to time.

Old
04-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
If he has a bad game, I'm sure this board will eat him alive like they have to Quick...right? Hmmm

I'm not even trying to fire up the goalie debate again...but I think it's funny that we can tell that "Quick is an average goalie at best" based on one full season, but that Bernier is the savior based on several NHL games and a body of AHL work. As if Quick certainly isn't going to get better and Bernier is a sure thing.

I just wish people would temper their expectations of our goalies and not just see what they want to see.
Oh...my...gosh. A post that makes actual sense. Who knew.

Old
04-22-2010, 03:43 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:

I don't understand that card that Quick backers play when talking about Bernier..

How is Bernier supposed to gain NHL experience when he's not in the NHL? Realistically he EARNED himself a shot THIS season, but he didn't get it. He played stellar, when Quick has played very very average.

Quick couldn't make ONE big save in the third period. Thats all we needed was ONE. And it didn't happen, because average tenders can't do it. Quick over-pursues SO much, and his rebound control is SO horrid.. Stop relying so heavily on your athleticism, and learn how to also become a fundamentally sound goaltender. Jesus.

Old
04-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Have you guys noticed that Quick didn't look like a confident goalie at all in the third? That is what has me concerned most. He appeared rattled and was shaky, there was zero confidence in him on the Demitra or Sedin goals. He was backed in, which is a sign of a goalie who is playing with fear.

Usually, he'd be more assertive in coming out to play the shooter and cut off his angle. Just look at his save in the 3rd on Ehrhoff (when the shot came from the right side boards). Even though he made the save, you can tell from his body language that he was unsure of himself.

As poorly as the Kings played defensively and positionally, his teammates need him to pull them out from time to time. They have to rely on him in this moments. Even though Luongo didn't play all that well, he clamped down in the 3rd and made some momentum changing saves that his teammates fed off of. That was the turning point of the game.

Old
04-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

FYI... goalies and their ages on Cup winning teams...

Marc-Andre Fleury, 2008-09, 24
Cam Ward, 2005-06, 21
Bill Ranford, 1989-90, 23
Patrick Roy, 1985-86, 20
Grant Fuhr, 1983-84, 21

Ron Hextall carried the Flyers to the Cup Finals in 1986-87, when he was 22.

To play devil's advocate... what do the Kings have to lose if they called up Bernier for the playoffs? It isn't going to hinder his development.

A young goalie coming in has no pressure riding on him. Whereas a goalie who plays in 70+ games has a lot of pressure and expectations to perform to a certain standard.

Realistically, I don't see it happening, but it is something worth considering. I recall when Rob Stauber came in the first round of 1993 and started in place of Hrudey for a few games.

After that, Hrudey was determined to get his starting job back and never looked back after the second round. He shut the door and was one of the main catalysts in helping the Kings reach the Stanley Cup Finals.

Old
04-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯Until April

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I don't understand that card that Quick backers play when talking about Bernier..

How is Bernier supposed to gain NHL experience when he's not in the NHL? Realistically he EARNED himself a shot THIS season, but he didn't get it. He played stellar, when Quick has played very very average.

Quick couldn't make ONE big save in the third period. Thats all we needed was ONE. And it didn't happen, because average tenders can't do it. Quick over-pursues SO much, and his rebound control is SO horrid.. Stop relying so heavily on your athleticism, and learn how to also become a fundamentally sound goaltender. Jesus.
I'm not a "Quick backer," but I have to call you out on this BS when it's suggested that he's capped out his potential.

Was he average last night? Certainly. Maybe even below average. But what are your thoughts on his performance the last few games? Game 1? He played a TON of games this season; what if Bernier does the same next season, but craps the bed? What if Bernier falters in the playoffs? Will you be singing the same tune?

To me, it's more as if people are placing so much hope in Bernier being a sure thing that they're willing to look past the obvious.

Just so it's clear, I DO think Bernier will be the better 'tender. But I don't think it's going to be by much. And I think Quick is going to be a solid goaltender in the NHL until he's 40. He's got plenty of room (and the desire and will) to improve.

Old
04-22-2010, 04:29 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
FYI... goalies and their ages on Cup winning teams...

Marc-Andre Fleury, 2008-09, 24
Cam Ward, 2005-06, 21
Bill Ranford, 1989-90, 23
Patrick Roy, 1985-86, 20
Grant Fuhr, 1983-84, 21

Ron Hextall carried the Flyers to the Cup Finals in 1986-87, when he was 22.

To play devil's advocate... what do the Kings have to lose if they called up Bernier for the playoffs? It isn't going to hinder his development.

A young goalie coming in has no pressure riding on him. Whereas a goalie who plays in 70+ games has a lot of pressure and expectations to perform to a certain standard.

Realistically, I don't see it happening, but it is something worth considering. I recall when Rob Stauber came in the first round of 1993 and started in place of Hrudey for a few games.

After that, Hrudey was determined to get his starting job back and never looked back after the second round. He shut the door and was one of the main catalysts in helping the Kings reach the Stanley Cup Finals.
They have a lot to lose if they call up Bernier. First it will hurt Quick's devolopment and confidence. Second if Bernier bombs (see the if) it could hurt his confidence. Third if they call him up and the Kings make it to the next round they only have 2 call-ups left. Not saying that is a big thing but it is there. I am sure there are other reasons that I am too lazy to think about. I think Bernier is the goalie of the future, I just don't think that future is now. Kings have done well without him and for better or worse well continue without him. Quick has not "lost" a game for the Kings and hopefully he can win one for them on Friday.

Old
04-22-2010, 04:34 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Nothing happens in a vaccuum.
The game was lost in the locker room during the 2nd intermission, plain and simple.

Old
04-22-2010, 04:35 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

wow... another PGT turning into Quick vs. Bernier, eh?

Old
04-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
For some reason it actually surprised me this time.

Old
04-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:

First, it is not just one bad game by Quick. He has only had 1 great game since the Olympics and that was game 1 of this series.

Second, I do not want to see Bernier in a Kings uniform until training camp/rookie camp.

Third, I don't think everyone thinks that Bernier is a "savior", they just wanted him to get a chance to play more games when Quick was struggling so much in March and April, before the playoffs. The reason we only have 3 NHL games to look at is because Murray wouldn't give Quick a needed break.

Fourth, once Murray decided not to play Ersberg anymore, Bernier should have been used in 10-15 games with the Kings to get a better read on his NHL ability this season. He earned that right with his attitude adjustment and stellar play in the AHL.

And finally, Bernier makes the difficult saves look routine with his technical abilities. He is so sound in his movements and position, he makes it look almost effortless when he is out there and I believe that builds the confidence of his teammates. Quick can make some of the routine saves look acrobatic because of his poor positioning and rebound control. I lost count of how many times Quick kicked the rebound right up the middle of the slot last night. It was frightening.

Again, I do not want Bernier to play for the Kings this season, this is Quick’s team. That ship has already sailed when Murray didn’t play him enough to get a good read on his ability in the NHL. He is the Monarchs goalie for this season.

I also firmly believe that the Kings can still win this series with Quick in net. Quick showed in game 1 how good he can be, even with poor defensive play. Game 2 and 3 were obviously good enough for the Kings to win, but game 4 needed that big save in the third period. Last night’s game turned on that breakaway save by Luongo. From that moment, you could see the confidence in the Canucks and their belief that they were not going to be denied. The Kings didn’t get that save from Quick.

Quick had to stop Sedin and he didn’t. If Quick made that difficult save, I believe that the Kings would have won that game. The momentum would have shifted.

Old
04-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
Man, how about those horrible refs? I hate the fact that the guys in Toronto want the Canadian teams to win. They've screwed the Kings all series. It's all their fault!

Too many men? They were all within 5 feet of the bench. Horrible call. Don't get me started on that tripping call by Handzus. The Vancouver player cleary skated into his stick on purpose and then twisted his legs for no reason so that he would fall. Terrible call.

Old
04-22-2010, 04:51 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
For some reason it actually surprised me this time.
It usually happens when Kings lost and RWTFJ didn't make much mistake..
Although it does get annoying at times but at least we are not blaming the refs or league or making any conspiracy... I think it is a good problem to have.. shows the depth of Kings goaltenders.. I'm just glad that it is not JLB vs. Cluts.

Closed Thread