HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

names on the cup

Old
04-21-2010, 02:35 PM
kungpao

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kungpao
names on the cup

Sorta on topic but sorta off topic:

In order for a player's name to be on the cup, they'd have to be players on the active roster? Or do they have to physically dress for a game?

As in, IF we win the cup, would Leighton's name be on it if he doesn't dress?

kungpao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:43 PM
fire bettman

Pretty sure it's any player that has dressed during the regular season or the playoffs. Leighton would definitely be on it.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpao View Post
Sorta on topic but sorta off topic:

In order for a player's name to be on the cup, they'd have to be players on the active roster? Or do they have to physically dress for a game?

As in, IF we win the cup, would Leighton's name be on it if he doesn't dress?
Playing in a SCF game or 41 games in the regular season automatically qualifies a player. But the team can submit a request to get anyone else added on, just so long as there is room.

In addition, thanks for the jinx.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:45 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I think you have to play at least one shift during the series...I may be wrong.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:48 PM
kungpao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Playing in a SCF game or 41 games in the regular season automatically qualifies a player. But the team can submit a request to get anyone else added on, just so long as there is room.

In addition, thanks for the jinx.
HA, no jinx, my if shows doubt. Cause my doubt is genuine. Now if I had said ---- we win the cup, it'd be a jinx

Old
04-21-2010, 03:08 PM
tuckrr

this takes knock on wood to another level...

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
this takes knock on wood to another level...

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:09 PM
mantis toboggan

We haven't even won our first round yet, and your worried about names on the cup?

mantis toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

OW! Purge this jinxious thread. Don't touch the Cup until you win it. The IF comes much too late for its own good.

<--- P.S. This avy went up around the trade deadline when the playoffs themselves were in doubt. I have to leave it now so as not to change the fortunes of the team.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:23 PM
kungpao

and how early was the playoff avatar thread started? LOL

I was merely wondering what would happen for guys like our revolving goaltender/backup tandems.

I remember during Gagne's year lost to concussion, people around here discussed dressing him for the playoffs "in case" they went. So yeah not just for us, but for teams that have had revolving injury guys too (Savard trying to come back comes to mind). If thought that if they contributed for x number of games during the regular season or dressed in a game during the playoffs then their names would be automatically placed.

Old
04-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Playoffs are much different (I can't type more, I'm jumping up and down with a shoe on my left foot and a sock on my right foot. No jinx, no jinx!).

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:53 PM
nuclear reactor

Names don't get engraved on the cup until end of June/July. Parade comes first. Has anyone planned a route yet?

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:55 PM
kungpao

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Names don't get engraved on the cup until end of June/July. Parade comes first. Has anyone planned a route yet?
LMAO!!

Old
04-21-2010, 04:55 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Playoffs are much different (I can't type more, I'm jumping up and down with a shoe on my left foot and a sock on my right foot. No jinx, no jinx!).
That is a sweet shirt though.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 09:00 PM
97FlyersKing18

Give Pau a break guys, it is a legit question and it looks like there are conflicting answers. I am not gonna blow smoke and say that I know for sure, but I am pretty certain that the 41 game rule or 1 SCF game gets your name on the Stanley Cup. IIRC, George Parros was not eligible because he played 30ish regular season games and a few playoff games, but the Ducks petitioned his name on the Cup in 07.

I understand the rituals, I try to do the same stuff before I watch a Flyers game when things are going good and mix it up when they are doing bad (with every team I am a fan of). Players do it because they have an actual impact on the game. They tape their sticks the same way, get dressed with the same order of gear, or eat the same food before after and during a game. They do these things because they are creatures of habit, getting paid millions of dollars to perform and entertain. If you turn the game off, nothing will happen, the players will keep playing. These players will play in an empty arena for all they care, as long as they get paid. The players literally have no idea about us and our hocus-pocus rituals, they bear no effect on the outcome of the game. I know we don't truly think we impact the game...unless you count throwing stuff on the ice and delaying the action and whining for penalty calls that eventually get evened out.

It is, after all, just a game. No sense in getting arrested, committing suicide or quiting a job because the hometown team won a championship or finished last in the league. Professional athletes are entertainers, showcasing their talents that have been honed and perfected for years...just like Actors, Artists, Dancers, and Chefs. Do you wear the same underwear every time you go to the movies, eat at the same restaurant every single time you go out, or wear the same tie every time you go to the theater?

However, cheering and doing the same things as the players does make you feel like a contributing member of the team. I don't see any HF member getting his or her name on the cup for being a "die-hard" dedicated fan. Don't get on buddy's case for asking a question.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:29 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

is this thread for real?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:10 AM
kungpao

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
Give Pau a break guys,
Thanks for lookin out!

I've learned not to take forums to heart and to be honest, the little potshots were funny to me.

But it was a legitimate question to start. It first came to mind with the news that Savard was cleared to be with the bruins. Then i though well crap, the situation applies to the flyers too. So i figured i'd throw out the question to a place i know there are more hockey minded people than other sites i know.

I too go through my rituals like wearing something orange to work on game days especially through the playoffs. And having to explain myself to my hair dresser last night why (in her words) I gave up shaving... Heck, I even threw away a perfectly good flyers hat because they lost every time I wore it.

Old
04-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Unstable

Good question, imo.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:27 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1150
From NHL.com....

http://www.nhl.com/cup/fun_facts.html

Quote:
To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
decadentia

When Richard hoists the cup in the lockeroom, what do you think will be his beverage of choice for it?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:37 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
When Richard hoists the cup in the lockeroom, what do you think will be his beverage of choice for it?

Our "Olde City" boys hoist cups all the time, the difference is they are not made of metal and the only names associated with them is Budweiser and Miller.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:14 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogenIsTheMan View Post
We haven't even won our first round yet, and your worried about names on the cup?
Pretty much my thought exactly as well. Then I actually thought about the question and was a tad stumped. Thanks for the info guys, pretty interesting.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote