HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC Sports Homerism

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2010, 03:52 PM
LaFan1967

vCash: 500
This should be CBC against Versus , not Fox Sports West . The local
team broadcast should be more homerish than the national feeds but the
CBC is out homering the Kings local feed .

So after all the Canadian Teams are eliminated CBC will stop covering
the playoffs ?????? ... didn't think so .

Old
04-22-2010, 04:32 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Really? Interesting. I would think of all the American teams, the Kings would be the easiest to understand a Canadian being a fan of...considering the whole Gretzky deal. Maybe it's been too long now, though.
Honestly, I became a Kings fan in 1992 when I got interested in hockey. Gretzky was the only name I knew so I became a Kings fan, and since I hate it when people just switch teams because their favourite player leaves, I've been a Kings fan ever since. In retrospect, it's a decision that's brought me a lot of grief but has helped me to deal with frustration.

That said, it's not really considered a valid reason any more. Most people wonder why I haven't "seen the light" and become a fan of one of the Canadian teams. Honestly, it's considered a valid question around here as to how a Canadian boy can become a Kings fan.

Old
04-22-2010, 05:03 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
Honestly, I became a Kings fan in 1992 when I got interested in hockey. Gretzky was the only name I knew so I became a Kings fan, and since I hate it when people just switch teams because their favourite player leaves, I've been a Kings fan ever since. In retrospect, it's a decision that's brought me a lot of grief but has helped me to deal with frustration.

That said, it's not really considered a valid reason any more. Most people wonder why I haven't "seen the light" and become a fan of one of the Canadian teams. Honestly, it's considered a valid question around here as to how a Canadian boy can become a Kings fan.
I don't really think its that out there. I have a lot of, and i mean a TON, respect for a person like you over people who have been surrounded by a hockey culture but their closets are filled with Penguins and Caps jerseys.

Like theres a guy I work with whose fav team is whoever won the cup last year....He's got a Carolina, Anaheim, Penguins jersey etc...Its so sad.

For me, I was born in Victoria. My dad is a Canucks fan and I've always been surrounded by them. Can't help but be a fan.

Old
04-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Like theres a guy I work with whose fav team is whoever won the cup last year....He's got a Carolina, Anaheim, Penguins jersey etc...Its so sad..
Those people suck

Old
04-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankill Butcher View Post
And for the record, that's not even homerism. Homerism would be showing a complete lack of enthusiasm or excitement when the Kings score. You're making Hughson sound like that dude in Buffalo.
If you think He is bad, listen to a Ducks game sometime.

Old
04-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Does it really matter what a candian coverage have to say about a canadian team ?????

I mean that comantators are nothing.
Just wait couple of non 2nd round canadian teams years.
They will play the national anthem after every Louongo save
and Indiana Jones theme every time the Sedins are at the puck.

Just ignore it...........
even if the Nucks pass the Kings they will face a real hockey team very soon
and the comentators will see where their heros really are.

Sure....... these CBC guys are really anoying but i don't let 'em take the fun away from me

Old
04-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Does it really matter what a candian coverage have to say about a canadian team ?????

I mean that comantators are nothing.
Just wait couple of non 2nd round canadian teams years.
They will play the national anthem after every Louongo save
and Indiana Jones theme every time the Sedins are at the puck.

Just ignore it...........
even if the Nucks pass the Kings they will face a real hockey team very soon
and the comentators will see where their heros really are.

Sure....... these CBC guys are really anoying but i don't let 'em take the fun away from me
The real question is can anyone or anything take the fun away from you?

Old
04-22-2010, 07:48 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
CBC Sports Homerism is redundant. You have to take into account that almost every commerical during their games in Canada have some sort of I Am Canadian propaganda in them. Granville Street is a dump! If you can get by the homeless and don't mind the needles laying around I guess it's not that bad. Don't get me started on the rain. I Am American.

Old
04-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Quattro

Speaking of Canadian-American rivalry, I'm not sure if has been mentioned elsewhere but one great thing that did happen at last night's game was that, unlike game 3 when a handful of morons were booing during the canadian anthem, it seemed like everyone was loudly singing both anthems. It was pretty cool.

Old
04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
CBC Sports Homerism is redundant. You have to take into account that almost every commerical during their games in Canada have some sort of I Am Canadian propaganda in them. Granville Street is a dump! If you can get by the homeless and don't mind the needles laying around I guess it's not that bad. Don't get me started on the rain. I Am American.
so you've never been to Vancouver then...

In my years in Vancouver, I've seen maybe 3 syringes on the streets. And I'm in the DTES about 3 times a week.

I'm thinking there are plenty of stereotypes we could quote about your city as well.

Old
04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
There's lots of commentary on this post, but what I think my fellow Kings fans forget is that there aren't enough of us to justify CBC highlighting a Kings game on the network. Most Canadians don't care about the Kings and I'm pretty sure every one of us Canadian Kings fans has had to answer the question "How did you ever become a Kings fan?" The Canucks are Canada's best shot at going anywhere in the playoffs this year and, for better or for worse, there is a strong sentiment in this country that if you don't cheer for a Canadian team come playoff time you'd better have a good reason. Pittsburg fans can justify it by being Crosby fans, now Canadian Kings fans can justify our love by cheering for Doughty. Those of you who say that CBC is catering to its market are bang on. There isn't enough genuine Kings love up here to justify covering the team on a national network (let's face it, those Alberta fans are admittedly on our bandwagon this playoff season but would much rather have their local boys knock us out). Only once we routinely become an exciting, challenging team for Canadian clubs will the Kings once again make it onto national TV. Heck, I remember in the latter part of the Gretzky years we'd only be on TV 3 or 4 times a year in Canada. Yet, somehow, you can't miss a Leafs game. Anyways, I'll end my rant on Kings TV coverage in the great white north now.
Quote:

Completely agree with these posts. Everytime I tell someone I am a Kings fan, first thing out their mouth is "How did you become a kings fan?" or "The Kings, really?".

Gretzky wasn't the reason for me(I was born the same year he was traded so it doesn't work for me), I became a fan during the Palffy/Deadmarsh days. Actually it was the shield logo why I became the fan, I thought it was super cool when I was young. Combine that with Palffy and Deadmarsh and they became my favorite team and I just stuck with it.

Really big problem I am running into right now is that everybody is accusing me of being a bandwagon fan. All I hear is "so your cheering for the Kings now...because of Doughty?". Really starting to irrate me. I've been a Kings fan for about 10 years now(too young before), 8 of which they missed the playoffs, stuck with them, and now finally becoming good and I am being accused of being a bandwagon fan. Lots of people do not even know who the players are that I have on my jerseys (Palffy and Brown) and they still say that.

Old
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
I don't really think its that out there. I have a lot of, and i mean a TON, respect for a person like you over people who have been surrounded by a hockey culture but their closets are filled with Penguins and Caps jerseys.

Like theres a guy I work with whose fav team is whoever won the cup last year....He's got a Carolina, Anaheim, Penguins jersey etc...Its so sad.

For me, I was born in Victoria. My dad is a Canucks fan and I've always been surrounded by them. Can't help but be a fan.
I too, can't stand fairweather bandwagon jumpers, but heck, I've never really had to put up with them. The Kings haven't been that good in anybody's lifetime. As for the choice, it's not completely out there, but that doesn't detract from the fact that supporting any non-Canadian, non-local team is treated as some sort of heresy. I'm sure the other Canadian Kings fans and I could form a sort of diasporic support group on these boards: People who have never had the pleasure of living among our own people who can share our suffering while having scorn heaped upon us by our fellow Canadians. Man, I'd love to make it to the Staples Center once in my life and be among Kings fans for a game. Anyways, now I'm just dreaming.

Old
04-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupgrapes View Post
Jesus man. Do you realize that literally nobody in Canada knows or cares about the Kings? Drew Doughty was on the olympic team, and that's as far as interest in the Kings goes in this country. Meanwhile the Canucks are basically Canada's team (I know people are going to dispute this) by virtue of their record. You can't possibly expect that the CBC crew is going to feel any obligation to try and call the game evenly.

That said, Hughson and Simpson are giving the Kings all sorts of credit. Obviously they won't shut up about Doughty, and they spent plenty of time talking about Simmonds, Brown, and Quick.

You don't know what you're talking about.
I hate to agree with a Canucks fan, but its true. I'm not a fan of Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson, but it has nothing to do with being homers. Jim Hughson sounds like a bloody video game. He hasn't changed his catch phrases since NHL '95 and Craig Simpson always sounds like he's disinterested in the game.

Personally, I find TSN's team bigger homers than any other "national" broadcast team in the business. At CBC tries to make it a bit more evenhanded, TSN is blatantly cheering for one team. Even games between US teams, TSN seems to pick a side.

Old
04-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I have a lot of respect for you as a Canadian to admit that. The "there should be no hockey outside of Canada" guy on the NHL forum would have us believe that each CBC broadcast is hardwired in to each Canadian's brain.
That amuses me. I don't watch the majority of the games broadcast on Canadian TV. I am not a hockey fan per se, I am a Kings fan. So I only watch games that involve the Kings. This year when the Kings played the Habs on March 3rd, was the first HNIC game I had watched in about 3 years.

Old
04-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
There's lots of commentary on this post, but what I think my fellow Kings fans forget is that there aren't enough of us to justify CBC highlighting a Kings game on the network. Most Canadians don't care about the Kings and I'm pretty sure every one of us Canadian Kings fans has had to answer the question "How did you ever become a Kings fan?" The Canucks are Canada's best shot at going anywhere in the playoffs this year and, for better or for worse, there is a strong sentiment in this country that if you don't cheer for a Canadian team come playoff time you'd better have a good reason. Pittsburg fans can justify it by being Crosby fans, now Canadian Kings fans can justify our love by cheering for Doughty. Those of you who say that CBC is catering to its market are bang on. There isn't enough genuine Kings love up here to justify covering the team on a national network (let's face it, those Alberta fans are admittedly on our bandwagon this playoff season but would much rather have their local boys knock us out). Only once we routinely become an exciting, challenging team for Canadian clubs will the Kings once again make it onto national TV. Heck, I remember in the latter part of the Gretzky years we'd only be on TV 3 or 4 times a year in Canada. Yet, somehow, you can't miss a Leafs game. Anyways, I'll end my rant on Kings TV coverage in the great white north now.
Each time I go to a Kings/Oilers I get asked this. Depending on the age of the person asking, I respond August 9, 1988. Every time the look on their face gets a little sad. It amuses me to no end.

Old
04-23-2010, 12:18 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Each time I go to a Kings/Oilers I get asked this. Depending on the age of the person asking, I respond August 9, 1988. Every time the look on their face gets a little sad. It amuses me to no end.
Thats because they die a little inside each time.

I wish I had that power

Old
04-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Yaya

Shouldn't really be surprised by Jim Hughson's homerism, he lives in White Rock, and commentated Canucks games for years until CBC started to pay him money to commentate Leafs games.

It could be worse, you could have to listen to John Shorthouse and John Garret commentating the games, as much as I hate to admit it, they are some pretty big homers.

Old
04-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

a Canucks fan coming in peace, what do you guys really expected though? Its mostly for Canadian audience.

Old
04-23-2010, 01:23 AM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
a Canucks fan coming in peace, what do you guys really expected though? Its mostly for Canadian audience.
Can't we complain about something? Since you guys religiously complain about the refs and the league at least let us complain about the bias commentators.

Old
04-23-2010, 03:50 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaya View Post
Shouldn't really be surprised by Jim Hughson's homerism, he lives in White Rock, and commentated Canucks games for years until CBC started to pay him money to commentate Leafs games.

It could be worse, you could have to listen to John Shorthouse and John Garret commentating the games, as much as I hate to admit it, they are some pretty big homers.
I can't stand Shorthouse anymore...I'd rather have the games on mute.

Old
04-23-2010, 04:09 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Not exactly, since Versus chose to use their feed.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:14 AM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindEnemyLines View Post
Can't we complain about something? Since you guys religiously complain about the refs and the league at least let us complain about the bias commentators.
^THIS

Old
04-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Funny, the Oilers never had that benefit in '06. Especially with Lee and Millen. In fact, a lot of us were switching to NBC's coverage because CBC was so brutal.

It's not that CBC's coverage is slanted towards the Canucks - how could they not be I'll give you that, but my biggest complaint is Hughson's fantard squealing whenever the Canucks are pressuring the opposition. It's a national broadcast ffs and he should exhibit a bit more professionalism instead of *ahem* barely containing himself when the Canucks score a goal.

Old
04-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Do they ask how many Cups he won in LA? HUH HUH??!

Old
04-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Act View Post
Funny, the Oilers never had that benefit in '06. Especially with Lee and Millen. In fact, a lot of us were switching to NBC's coverage because CBC was so brutal.

It's not that CBC's coverage is slanted towards the Canucks - how could they not be I'll give you that, but my biggest complaint is Hughson's fantard squealing whenever the Canucks are pressuring the opposition. It's a national broadcast ffs and he should exhibit a bit more professionalism instead of *ahem* barely containing himself when the Canucks score a goal.
I agree with this. Last year, it sort of balanced out with Craig Simpson. You had Hughson creaming his pants over the Canucks, but then Simpson giggling like a school girl every two minutes about how the Blackhawks "are just too young to know any better!"

But this year Simpson seems to have settled down, (maybe he just really liked Chicago or doesn't like LA), but Hughson is up to his usual antics. Sure, as a Canuck fan it doesn't bother me, but I get the complaints from other fans.

Closed Thread