HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Datsyuk nominated for Lady Byng

Old
04-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Howard35

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Datsyuk nominated for Lady Byng

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=526456

St. Louis and Brad Richards...

IMHO, i think MSL has this one. We shall see tho...

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Shoalzie

It's not very gentleman-like to steal the puck away from the opposition...is it?

Give it to Richards or St. Louis...Datsyuk plays a chippier game than those two.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

No offense to the previous winners or the award itself, but I really think the Lady Byng is a little useless and redundant. Hockey is known for its physical game and being awarded for not being a d****e is silly. Datsyuk isn't a goon, doesn't take a lot of penalties and plays the game beautifully, there shouldn't be an award for it though.

Anyways, don't know who will win this year, I don't know how to judge gentlemanly (is that even a word?) conduct. I rather Datsyuk wins the Selke than the Byng, really, but any victory is a victory, so good luck Dats!

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:59 PM
WingsFan95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
No offense to the previous winners or the award itself, but I really think the Lady Byng is a little useless and redundant. Hockey is known for its physical game and being awarded for not being a d****e is silly. Datsyuk isn't a goon, doesn't take a lot of penalties and plays the game beautifully, there shouldn't be an award for it though.

Anyways, don't know who will win this year, I don't know how to judge gentlemanly (is that even a word?) conduct. I rather Datsyuk wins the Selke than the Byng, really, but any victory is a victory, so good luck Dats!
Any victory is a victory is the way I see it too.

5 years in a row eh?

Although to add a little defense, the award is meant for playing the game by the rules, at least in my opinion. Not taking penalties is a positive in many ways, and players like Datsyuk also don't cause scuffling, which can be seen as more productive.

I think the award has its merits but I too agree the definition is very vague.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Evelyn Byng, Viscountess Byng of Vimy was suspected of having murdered her husband in 1935, I believe.

Not very good sportsmanship.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:41 PM
petesrw

Everyone plays the game differently. I really don't have a strong interest in the award, but players who keep their cool and show respect on the ice deserve more credit than the players whose only contribution is violence. I would be in favor of renaming it so the "woman" factor is eliminated. It might be a bit more celebrated if the semantics of the award was a bit different because in a sport like hockey I can imagine some players masculinity being threatened by the lady. I wonder what Cherry or Milbury say about it.

But anyways, go Datsyuk!

petesrw is offline   Reply With Quote