HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

From about how far away would the average fan commute to attend games?

Old
04-22-2010, 07:50 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Interesting topic. I know there was a good contingency of people from the Raleigh area that made the trip out to Greensboro (about 60 to 75 min) when the Canes played there and there are still some that caught on to the team in Greensboro that make the trip for the Canes to Raleigh.

I personally had a 12 game pack one year, a 24 game pack the next and made it to all the games in Greensboro from that 99 Bruins-Canes series.

Prettymuch for any team I'd think you'll find that on average 75% of your season ticket base is within half an hour of the arena and another 90% of what's left are from within that half-hour to hour circle. Less then 5% of the season ticket will be from outside that area I would guess.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:20 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Interesting topic. I know there was a good contingency of people from the Raleigh area that made the trip out to Greensboro (about 60 to 75 min) when the Canes played there and there are still some that caught on to the team in Greensboro that make the trip for the Canes to Raleigh.
Although, I think people will travel further to a temporary location if they know the team is moving closer in a couple of years.

I know a bunch of people who made the drive up to the Cow Palace for the first two years of the Sharks who would not have done so if that were the Sharks' permanent home and they weren't moving closer for year 3.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:01 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
In terms of minutes, I'd say that 90 minutes is really pushing the boundaries that a normal person would commute.
Uh oh, looks like I'm far from normal then! lol

I am 90 minutes away from Winnipeg, and I'll gladly make the commute should the NHL return. I know other people in my community who were season ticket holders during the Jets days. I bought football season tickets after the Jets left... I know it's not the same thing since there are maybe 11 games in a football season, but distance was never an issue. It's part of the way of life here. The city (well, parts of it) is 90 minutes away. Any time I want to see pro sports, watch a first run movie in theatres, or go shopping or eat at a major brand name place, it`s going to be a 90 minute drive. I don't think twice about it. I just do it. It's just the way life is. Actually today, I drove 90 minutes to pick up my laptop (recently repaired), came home, shaved, then drove 30 minutes in to work and back.

It definitely helps the sanity that there is little to no traffic congestion once you leave the city, and even in the city, traffic is not as big an issue as it is in other major centres. I know my drive will be 90 minutes, for example, whereas this summer I experienced the joy of being stuck on the George Washington Bridge for an hour without moving more than a few feet.

Having living in Toronto for a few years, there were a decent number of Leafs/Raptors/Jays fans who were with me on the 45 minute transit commute home... but I don't know how many of them were STHs. Same thing with the Yankees in New York. After a weekday afternoon game there this summer, my train heading for an hour long ride into Connecticut, was packed with Yankees fans.

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote