HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Mentally Healthy, Target Paul Ranger

Old
04-22-2010, 11:20 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Yeah, anybody would rather do neither, but have you heard of this guy Glen Sather? Neither is not exactly his MO.
What does that have to do with the OP proposing getting Paul Ranger? The OP wasn't asking, "is it realistic for Sather to go after a project like Paul Ranger?" The OP was making a case for getting him. Sather had nothing to do with it.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 12:54 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Ranger is a great young defenseman. He's only 24. I'm not yet 24 myself and have had one of the most difficult years of my life this year. Who knows why Ranger left the team. I believe he will return to hockey and will be a very good player when he does. I've always liked him and I hope his return is this coming October, but if it's not, I can't blame the guy for things I know nothing about. By all indications (I've looked into Rangers situation on several occasions, always looking for updates as to why he's disappeared/if he's mentioned returning) he left on good terms and this has nothing to do with ego or being a headcase. He clearly has personal and private issues to deal with right now though. Either way, when he decides he is ready to play hockey again, I am confident he will be a strong player and I would love to have him here. I have always felt that way.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 01:27 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

He had surgeries on BOTH shoulders

the 2 kinds of surgery that are really tough if not almost impossible to ever fully recover from are

Ankle
and
Shoulder

its never really the same

In Rangers case, he has the size, the wheels and the skillset to make it in the NHL and has proven it. If he comes back a team will make space for him.

having a guy named Ranger on the Rangers would be a nice play on words, but I am not sold on NY needing to bring in another dman when they can backfill from Hartford.

spend the money or trade the asset for a forward

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 04:11 AM
eco's bones

On Pavelich--he was a heart and soul player at gametime--not unlike a Mike Richards.
Very quiet personality off the ice. He marched to his own drumbeat though. He hated to practice and I imagine he wasn't a coaches dream in that respect. Herb Brooks knew him from before the 80 Olympics and I'm sure gave him a lot more leeway than Sator would give him later. It was really a personality conflict between coach and player. He was arguably our best forward for a few years running but Sator started benching him and giving him 4th line ice time. Mark just got to the point he had enough and quit. If I remember right Ruotsolainen walked away for at least a little while and Barry Beck also quit in a conflict with Sator.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
having a guy named Ranger on the Rangers would be a nice play on words, but I am not sold on NY needing to bring in another dman when they can backfill from Hartford.
I think Ranger is better than anyone the Rangers have in Hartford right now.

If he was ready to come back to hockey and be fully committed, I would love to have him on the Rangers.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
If his last name wasn't Ranger, are we having this conversation or even considering this?

04-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If his last name wasn't Ranger, are we having this conversation or even considering this?
Of course not.....

As it is with every summer here fans just want the Rangers to sign somebody so they can buy the jersey...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Levitate

Quote:
The name makes him stand out more, but yes, he was a very good player and I'd like to have him on this team instead of several guys on the blueline. I like him better than Girardi, to be honest.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The name makes him stand out more, but yes, he was a very good player and I'd like to have him on this team instead of several guys on the blueline. I like him better than Girardi, to be honest.
If his last name was Jones, we would be advocating adding a guy who quit on his team and went radio silent? I don't think so.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Levitate

I don't know about other people but I liked Ranger before he left the team, and have been curious about whether he'd be available if he decides to come back. Like I said, I like him more than several other guys on D.

Like I said, I can't speak for other people, but don't presume to speak for me

Old
04-23-2010, 08:53 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Maybe playing for Tortorella for so long threw him over the edge

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 12:07 PM
RegalRangers

I'd rather have Satan on the Devils than Ranger on the Rangers.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 04:52 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
If his last name was Jones, we would be advocating adding a guy who quit on his team and went radio silent? I don't think so.
No guys and gals, you got it all wrong. His name has nothing to do with why I posted this.

It's all about acquiring players for the best value and this was a unique situation that is under the radar that was worth discussion. We have nearly two months to propose, discuss, critique, etc.

He's a big dude and has mobility. I have no problem with giving two spots to any of Sanguinetti/Valatenko/Kundratek/Sauer and even Klassen next season and waiving Redden and trading Rozi or Girardi but that doesn't seem like it's gonna go down.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 09:39 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Nope.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 10:17 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I remember Ranger being decent so outside of his surname this thread is as likely as a "trade for Nick Schultz" thread. And "If mentally healthy" doesn't that make his value go back up to his normal?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think Ranger is better than anyone the Rangers have in Hartford right now.

If he was ready to come back to hockey and be fully committed, I would love to have him on the Rangers.
I disagree, Bobby Sangs deserves a shot

Old
04-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Nyrvana

Sometimes I don't understand Ranger fans ... you want a player that left mid-season and probably has mental issues? I understand he WAS a good player but how good could he be now?

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 08:22 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
On Pavelich--he was a heart and soul player at gametime--not unlike a Mike Richards.
Very quiet personality off the ice. He marched to his own drumbeat though. He hated to practice and I imagine he wasn't a coaches dream in that respect. Herb Brooks knew him from before the 80 Olympics and I'm sure gave him a lot more leeway than Sator would give him later. It was really a personality conflict between coach and player. He was arguably our best forward for a few years running but Sator started benching him and giving him 4th line ice time. Mark just got to the point he had enough and quit. If I remember right Ruotsolainen walked away for at least a little while and Barry Beck also quit in a conflict with Sator.
Pavelich was heart and soul and he was very talented. From 81 to 84 season he essentially played just about every game and scored a ton of points including a 37 goal season with a 24% shooting average !

I think he was hurt in the 85 season on top of being a different kind of spirit. On top of not liking Sator's dump and chase style of play

Reijo was a hellova skater and led the rangers in points in 84-85. Went unsigned but later the Oil offered him a contract where he won his first cup. Later the devils traded him to Oil town where he won his second cup.

I think some folks have been talking about moving Gilroy to forward like Ruotsalainen, but I think its a mistake. RR was great when paired with bubba

Old
04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
What does that have to do with the OP proposing getting Paul Ranger? The OP wasn't asking, "is it realistic for Sather to go after a project like Paul Ranger?" The OP was making a case for getting him. Sather had nothing to do with it.
Are you kidding? You said "And as for which I'd rather, how about we just do neither?"

To which I responded that this is not how Sather operates. I think you need to go learn how to read.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 11:57 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Sometimes I don't understand Ranger fans ... you want a player that left mid-season and probably has mental issues? I understand he WAS a good player but how good could he be now?
If he got his stuff figured out he could be even better...

Depends on the price but it would be a better pick-up than most.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I think you're all going way too hard on the guy. He left for personal reasons, and didn't want to comment on it to the public. Can you blame him? The media can be extremely stressful, and some players want to stay away from it, and that should be perfectly acceptable. I do find it kind of weird he hasn't talked to his family, but it's not like everybody has a perfect family they get along with.

He's a good player. The personal leave doesn't really bother me all that much. If he comes back in July and says he's willing to play a full season, I don't see why we can't throw him a 1-year deal for that reason. The only thing I would actually be neglectful of signing him is because he's an RFA, and I think we'd have to give up a 2nd round pick to sign him for $1.5M+, which is what he'll probably demand. $3M and over is a 1st and 3rd, but I can't find him asking for that considering his leave and his injury last year.

EDIT: Of course the thought of returning to the coaching of John Tortorella will probably make him leave for another 3 years.

Last edited by Panfork: 04-25-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote