HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2010 NFL Thread (All Jets, Giants and General NFL talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2010, 09:23 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why? He does not fit a 4-3. Giants FANS were set on him. The guy is too slow for the 4-3. He's a great 3-4 linebacker.

I'm NOT pleased with taking JPP, as I wanted Spiller, Williams or Bulaga.
Reese lost me on this one. There are glaring weaknesses at LB and DB, and we are deepest on DE, and what does he do? He goes and drafts a 2-3 year project, 3rd down guy who at best, is a decent sub IF Tuck gets hurt.

The pass rush was bad last year because of a tough schedule and injuries. All that, it's still the deepest part of our defense.

This was the one year where I wish Acorsi was making the pick. JPP will not have an impact on this team for a while.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:26 AM
LamoTheKid

I'm actually pretty pumped about JPP (just going by highlights i've seen). I do think we should have went after a CB though. Oh well, let's see what they can do in the later rounds. The 2nd round is prime time again right?

Old
04-23-2010, 09:29 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Reese lost me on this one. There are glaring weaknesses at LB and DB, and we are deepest on DE, and what does he do? He goes and drafts a 2-3 year project, 3rd down guy who at best, is a decent sub IF Tuck gets hurt.

The pass rush was bad last year because of a tough schedule and injuries. All that, it's still the deepest part of our defense.

This was the one year where I wish Accorsi was making the pick. JPP will not have an impact on this team for a while.
This is right out of the Accorsi playbook. He always claimed you can never have enough pass-rushers. I'm not sure Ernie would have done anything different.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
I'm actually pretty pumped about JPP (just going by highlights i've seen). I do think we should have went after a CB though. Oh well, let's see what they can do in the later rounds. The 2nd round is prime time again right?
Looking back, the Gmen defensive struggles may have been as mcuh a result of injuries and poor management as it was personnel. Terrel Thomas quietly had a pretty solid year, and Ross+Phillips missed pretty much the whole season due to injuries.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:47 AM
CJV123

The Jets will now go front 7 on defense. The only alternative would be a guard, and I don't think they are good enough to offset the positional needs up front on D. The Jets may be intrigued enough by Kindle from Texas that they try to trade up to get him. Not sure what they would offer, though, unless someone thought highly enough of Leon Washington to take him and the Jets second.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:47 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Looking back, the Gmen defensive struggles may have been as mcuh a result of injuries and poor management as it was personnel. Terrel Thomas quietly had a pretty solid year, and Ross+Phillips missed pretty much the whole season due to injuries.
Whos that rookie LB we had who filled in for Pierce? Goc or something? I like that kid.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Whos that rookie LB we had who filled in for Pierce? Goc or something? I like that kid.
Jonathan Goff. Anyway, the 2nd and 3rd round is where these GMs earn their money.

Strahan
Sehorn
Osi
Webster
Smith
Thomas

all 2nd rounders

Tuck was a 3rd and Jacobs & Cofield were 4th rounders.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:56 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
The free agent signings of Canty, Bernard and Brown (not sure that was his name but he was so godawful I refuse to look it up) really hurt. Lot of money invested and nothing really to show for it.
Rather Satheresque on Reese's part.

I think Reese is a good GM so I'll forgive him.

Old
04-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
I like the jets pick last night of Wilson.

Old
04-23-2010, 10:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Guys that I'm praying fall to NYJ:

Carlos Dunlap
Linval Joseph
Terrence Cody
Nate Allen

Joseph would make me very happy. Allen, too, but I seriously doubt he drops to us.

If Leon is moved for whatever reason, I'd take a look at moving on Gerhart.

It's just pain.
Old
04-23-2010, 11:01 AM
CJV123

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Carlos Dunlap
Linval Joseph
Terrence Cody
Nate Allen

Joseph would make me very happy. Allen, too, but I seriously doubt he drops to us.

If Carlos Dunlap somehow fell that far I'd do a backflip myself.

Old
04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Yes. I guess that means TO is coming to the G-men now, LOL
Please watch your language. There might be women and children reading this thread.

Old
04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
The free agent signings of Canty, Bernard and Brown (not sure that was his name but he was so godawful I refuse to look it up) really hurt. Lot of money invested and nothing really to show for it.
Rather Satheresque on Reese's part.

I think Reese is a good GM so I'll forgive him.
Yeah, CC Brown or Cant Cover Brown. I believe he was released.

Old
04-23-2010, 11:53 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Carlos Dunlap
Linval Joseph
Terrence Cody
Nate Allen

Cody is a monster and could make a great NT, but I would be careful with him. I have a bad feeling he may be one of those guys that winds up eating himself out of the league. Isn't he already around 375-390?

Old
04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Cody is a monster and could make a great NT, but I would be careful with him. I have a bad feeling he may be one of those guys that winds up eating himself out of the league. Isn't he already around 375-390?
He was 354 at the combine. He has a damn near identical build to Kris Jenkins, who would be an outstanding mentor. The weight concerns are valid, but if he keeps it in check, he'll be one hell of a 3-4 NT.

Old
04-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Nyrvana

IMO, the giants pick was great. You never draft for need, you always take the best available player. JPP will be awesome.

The Jets got a very good CB.

Old
04-23-2010, 12:42 PM
17futurecap

Both New York teams did well last night, and I look forward to tonight where there are still lots of good players left. Once the Browns took Haden I was like man it would be great if Wilson could fall all the way to 29, and it was awesome that he did.

Old
04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
CJV123

I don't want Cody. He has the worst-looking physique I've perhaps ever seen on a FB player. He honestly looks like he will be dead within 5 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terrence-cody-weigh-in.jpg‎ (60.0 KB, 19 views)

Old
04-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
I don't want Cody. He has the worst-looking physique I've perhaps ever seen on a FB player. He honestly looks like he will be dead within 5 years.
Cody lost a lot of weight. I'd love for the Giants to take him in the 2nd.

Old
04-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

This was the one year where I wish Acorsi was making the pick. JPP will not have an impact on this team for a while.
I slept on this since I was so ****ing livid all night about this ******* pick.

I have since softened a bit on it.

JPP is a tremendous prospect. Honestly, the kid can be one of the best pass rushing DEs ever. His athleticism is off the charts and he has a lot more drive and heart than a bum like Gholston.

With that said -- he's also a huge risk. He's so raw right now. He was never really dominant in college. Fewell can, however, coach him. Fewell is a GREAT DC and Tommy C will keep him on track.

We have tremendous D-depth. Injuries killed this team last year. Canty was hurt all year. Bernard was really hurt (obviously). Robbins was hurt. Tuck was hurt. Osi was still recovering. Phillips was hurt. Webster was hurt.

I really don't mind this pick as much as I did. We have the depth to let JPP develop behind some amazing pass rushers in Tuck and Osi. I think that we are the type of team that can develop a guy like JPP.

We aren't the Jets, who would rush him in and ruin him.

Old
04-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Jealousy will get you nowhere my friend

But yeah, good for the Gints for sticking to BPA. They obviously love the upside and if they could get you two more players this draft at the least you'll be okay.

You guys crack me up, your division rivals always eat themselves up anyway, don't worry so much

Old
04-23-2010, 05:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
ESPN says that Sergio Kindle has serious knee issues that have caused his stock to plummet. He'll need microfracture surgery within a few years.

Old
04-23-2010, 05:45 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
IMO, the giants pick was great. You never draft for need, you always take the best available player. JPP will be awesome.
Disagree entirely. He seems like another weight room hero. Boom or Bust? They said the same thing about Jessiman. Not saying they should have taken a LB once McClain was gone, but I would rather have Dan Williams.

In hockey, and baseball you draft the best available (unless you have a young stud goalie and drafting another would be deemed a waste) as you are seldom expecting your pick to be on your club right away. In the NFL, most of the time you are picking someone you expect will be if not a starter then definitely a back-up who gets some serious playing time. Which is why it has to be a balance between best available and need. Otherwise, why not draft Claussen?

Old
04-23-2010, 05:50 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
I slept on this since I was so ****ing livid all night about this ******* pick.

I have since softened a bit on it.

JPP is a tremendous prospect. Honestly, the kid can be one of the best pass rushing DEs ever. His athleticism is off the charts and he has a lot more drive and heart than a bum like Gholston.

With that said -- he's also a huge risk. He's so raw right now. He was never really dominant in college. Fewell can, however, coach him. Fewell is a GREAT DC and Tommy C will keep him on track.

We have tremendous D-depth. Injuries killed this team last year. Canty was hurt all year. Bernard was really hurt (obviously). Robbins was hurt. Tuck was hurt. Osi was still recovering. Phillips was hurt. Webster was hurt.

I really don't mind this pick as much as I did. We have the depth to let JPP develop behind some amazing pass rushers in Tuck and Osi. I think that we are the type of team that can develop a guy like JPP.

You can't teach talent. The guy is a ****ing freak athletically, and there are few teams I would trust more than the Giants to develop him as a football player. He's not ready right now, but our talent at the ends will give him the time he needs to develop. It would be stupid to pass on his upside just because of his inability to be a force in one season. If there is any tandem in football who can turn him into a football player it's Fewell and Coughlin.

Jerry Reese isn't stupid. He'll address the linebacker position one way or another.

Old
04-23-2010, 06:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Linval Joseph. Good pick there.

Closed Thread