HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fisted by the Officials

Old
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
AlamoSabre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
You can't be serious. I agree officiating has sucked but damn dude if that's what you truly believe go watch WWE and stress less.
Just a little conspiricy theory. Why is it so hard to believe though? The NHL's #1 goal is to make as much money as humanly possible and a Pitt-Wash ECF will help accomplish that goal, so why is it so hard to believe that a business, which the NHL is, would do everything in their power to ensure they make as much money as they can? Dont answer that, I'm just crazy.

AlamoSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSabre View Post
Just a little conspiricy theory. Why is it so hard to believe though? The NHL's #1 goal is to make as much money as humanly possible and a Pitt-Wash ECF will help accomplish that goal, so why is it so hard to believe that a business, which the NHL is, would do everything in their power to ensure they make as much money as they can? Dont answer that, I'm just crazy.
Everything in their power? Come on now. At some point your power play and the guys not showing up has to matter. I mean you have lead every game. The difference between winning and losing is just some bad 3rd period play. It's not like Boston is coming out and getting 3-4 big power plays early and getting leads.

Last edited by Savynquick*: 04-22-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:55 PM
joshjull

I forgot to mention that the visual created by the thread title is... well... not entirely pleasing.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I forgot to mention that the visual created by the thread title is... well... not entirely pleasing.
not entirely pleasing? So in other words some part of it is pleasing to you JJ?

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
not entirely pleasing? So in other words some part of it is pleasing to you JJ?
Maybe......

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:30 PM
AlamoSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Everything in their power? Come on now. At some point your power play and the guys not showing up has to matter. I mean you have lead every game. The difference between winning and losing is just some bad 3rd period play. It's not like Boston is coming out and getting 3-4 big power plays early and getting leads.
What I'm getting at is that Boston is a bad match-up for Buffalo, just like Philly was a bad match-up for NJ. I work with a Devils fan and he knew NJ was going to lose to Philly as soon as NJ got that highly questionable 2 man advantage against Buffalo. What happened in Game 4 was just icing on the cake. I'm sorry, but Boston didnt deserve to win that game, games 2 and 3, yes, but not game 4, what happened in that game was highway robbery at its finest.

Old
04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Savynquick*

Ok if you want to see bad refs, the Ottawa-Pits game tonight is LEGENDARY. Honestly if you guys were up in arms yesterday, this baby tonight is incredible. Missed trips, missed high sticks, another disallowed "kick", all kinds. Ottawa fans are going MENTAL.

Old
04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Quote:
Ok if you want to see bad refs, the Ottawa-Pits game tonight is LEGENDARY. Honestly if you guys were up in arms yesterday, this baby tonight is incredible. Missed trips, missed high sticks, another disallowed "kick", all kinds. Ottawa fans are going MENTAL.
his stick never touched the puck, his skate sure did though.

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
what happened in that game was highway robbery at its finest.
Highway robbery? Are you watching the other series? Disallowed goals, trips that the whole rink can see on breakaways, etc...

I mean you guys took the too many men, it's black and white type stuff. Also you have a PP% of zero. You just can't pin an entire loss on the refs with a PP% of zero, and plays like the too many men. There's just more to it than that. Shot count was 39-37. It's not like the game the Sharks lost when they outshot the Avs 51-16.

Old
04-22-2010, 09:58 PM
AlamoSabre

Quote:
Highway robbery? Are you watching the other series? Disallowed goals, trips that the whole rink can see on breakaways, etc...

I mean you guys took the too many men, it's black and white type stuff. Also you have a PP% of zero. You just can't pin an entire loss on the refs with a PP% of zero, and plays like the too many men. There's just more to it than that. Shot count was 39-37. It's not like the game the Sharks lost when they outshot the Avs 51-16.
Black and White type stuff? The too many men call, yes, the others no. Tell me what moment in game 4 was the one moment you can point to as the time the tide turned in Boston's favor. It was the call on McCormick. Prior to that the Sabres were in control, the crowd was out of it, the Bruins players werent that fired up, everything looked golden for the Sabres. That one call, which was a horrible call, changed everything in a major way. A bad call by the refs was the turning point in the game, so that's why I blame the refs.

Old
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
Black and White type stuff? The too many men call, yes, the others no. Tell me what moment in game 4 was the one moment you can point to as the time the tide turned in Boston's favor. It was the call on McCormick. Prior to that the Sabres were in control, the crowd was out of it, the Bruins players werent that fired up, everything looked golden for the Sabres. That one call, which was a horrible call, changed everything in a major way. A bad call by the refs was the turning point in the game, so that's why I blame the refs.
What I'm trying to say is that the McCormick thing is NOTHING compared to the degree of big calls being made or not made in other series. From the time of it, to the score at the time, to the degree of judgment required to make that call. The ref has no benefit of replay in that moment, and when those bodies fly into the net, you make a decision. Honestly watch some other games, you'll see way more blatant stuff missed, and far more consistently.

At any point in the first OT you could have won it. Or double OT. Pointing to a ticky-tack call like that one there doesn't highlight the far more important things.

Old
04-22-2010, 10:15 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
I wasn't a fan of the Kaleta "boarding" call, at all. Complete BS to make that call in a playoff game.

I guess it just comes down to what you want to focus on. Bad calls happen to everyone at different points, and they always suck - but there's nothing the front office or the guys on the ice can do about it. Personally, I think our abysmal powerplay, a tired and worn down Miller, and the lack of real 1st line talent in the top six are things we could/should have addressed by now, but didn't. We fix any one of those, and the series is probably tied, if not in our favor.

And let's be honest - that tying goal was a softie. This team isn't good enough to win if Miller makes a mistake that winds up in the back of our net. Not right now they're not, anyway. And I think Miller just flat out got overused this year, between Ruff not giving Lalime enough games on a regular basis, and the Olympics. I would have gladly given up that worthless division banner to give Lalime a few more starts throughout the year and down the stretch.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I wasn't a fan of the Kaleta "boarding" call, at all. Complete BS to make that call in a playoff game.

I guess it just comes down to what you want to focus on. Bad calls happen to everyone at different points, and they always suck - but there's nothing the front office or the guys on the ice can do about it. Personally, I think our abysmal powerplay, a tired and worn down Miller, and the lack of real 1st line talent in the top six are things we could/should have addressed by now, but didn't. We fix any one of those, and the series is probably tied, if not in our favor.

And let's be honest - that tying goal was a softie. This team isn't good enough to win if Miller makes a mistake that winds up in the back of our net. Not right now they're not, anyway. And I think Miller just flat out got overused this year, between Ruff not giving Lalime enough games on a regular basis, and the Olympics. I would have gladly given up that worthless division banner to give Lalime a few more starts throughout the year and down the stretch.
that winning goal was a softie.

Old
04-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post

That's the closest thing I've seen to a pretty even opinion of this.

The sens tonight got jobbed every step of the way. They grind it out, win in double OT. The better team on any given night finds a way to win. That's playoff hockey. And I expect you guys will throw everything at us Friday night.

Old
04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Quote:
That's the closest thing I've seen to a pretty even opinion of this.

The sens tonight got jobbed every step of the way. They grind it out, win in double OT. The better team on any given night finds a way to win. That's playoff hockey. And I expect you guys will throw everything at us Friday night.
I certainly hope we do. You just never know with the Sabres.

Old
04-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
I just can't get indignant at the refs/NHL/universe when I know that if the Sabres gave the effort in game 2 and game 3 that they gave in game 4, they'd have been up 3-0 and nobody (especially Larry Quinn) would care if they were ***** in game 4 and the series came back to Buffalo for game 5.

I'd rather focus on fixing why they didn't give that effort.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 06:28 AM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
I agree with above posters that Hank and Lydman both need to be brought back. Lydman to me is also the more important guy to resign. I've been wanting for a while now to have a tough defense, and next year that is actually a possibility if we resign Lydman, and Weber can make the jump. Pairings could look something like this.

Hank/Whoever-Myers
Lydman-Monty
Weber-Rivet

That's a defense with some snarl, and a defense I'd love to see next year. If Myers bulks up a little more, and the nasty side of his game develops even more, than that would make it even better. The only thing that worries me here is the speed of the third pairing. I haven't seen Weber play since he was last called up so I may be wrong, but how is his skating and speed?

And if Hank is let go because he was asking for too much I feel like they should bring in a veteran whose a little cheaper to replace him. If that guy can help quarterback the powerplay than that'd be nice as well.

Just to make a summary:

You want to get rid of Butler AND Sekera, just because they are young and mishandled by a guy called Lindey?

I'd rather keep one of the young boys (I'd prefer Sekera over Butler), Let one of Lydman and Tallinder walk and get Weber a fulltime Job.

Oh, and by the way, let's see how McNabb does at Training camp. I've got high excpections on him.

Hank - Myers
Rivet - Monty
Sekera - Weber

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 07:20 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Just to make a summary:

You want to get rid of Butler AND Sekera, just because they are young and mishandled by a guy called Lindey?

I'd rather keep one of the young boys (I'd prefer Sekera over Butler), Let one of Lydman and Tallinder walk and get Weber a fulltime Job.

Oh, and by the way, let's see how McNabb does at Training camp. I've got high excpections on him.

Hank - Myers
Rivet - Monty
Sekera - Weber
To summarize ADD, let's get rid of 4 of the 7 defensemen which were responsible for the 3rd lowest GAA in the league.

It is breathtaking sometimes the degree of self-delusion people allow themselves to become engaged in.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 01:16 PM
StanJonathan*

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...res/index.html

StanJonathan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 02:34 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Buffalo has 14 PP's in the series, BOS 12.

As long as we are making a list of missed calls, how about:

Game 1, Vanek textbook board on Wheeler, no call...30 seconds later Chara called for board on Kaleta as he was trying out for the Buffalo Sabres Diving Team.

Game 1, tripping call on Wideman after Roy showed why he is the Captain of the Buffalo Diving squad, and the crowd made the decision for the ref, a good 5 seconds after it happened.

Game 2, Goalie interference call against Sobotka on a nearly identical play to McCormick's...didn't see a lot of complaining about that one from the BUF fanbase.

Game 3, Rivet and Torres repeatedly punch Ference as he tries to skate away from the scrum, directly in front of the refs...and somehow Ference and Torres end up with identical misconducts and no PP for the B's.

Game 4, Sobotka tripped in the closing minute and Lydman clears puck directly over the glass in OT, and inexplicably neither was called.

Face it, the officiating has been bad both ways in the series, the primary difference is that the B's have capitalized on their PP chances (25%), while BUF has not (0%).

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 02:44 PM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post

Game 1, Vanek textbook board on Wheeler, no call...30 seconds later Chara called for board on Kaleta as he was trying out for the Buffalo Sabres Diving Team.

Game 1, tripping call on Wideman after Roy showed why he is the Captain of the Buffalo Diving squad, and the crowd made the decision for the ref, a good 5 seconds after it happened.

Game 2, Goalie interference call against Sobotka on a nearly identical play to McCormick's...didn't see a lot of complaining about that one from the BUF fanbase.

Game 3, Rivet and Torres repeatedly punch Ference as he tries to skate away from the scrum, directly in front of the refs...and somehow Ference and Torres end up with identical misconducts and no PP for the B's.

Game 4, Sobotka tripped in the closing minute and Lydman clears puck directly over the glass in OT, and inexplicably neither was called.

Face it, the officiating has been bad both ways in the series, the primary difference is that the B's have capitalized on their PP chances (25%), while BUF has not (0%).
Just let them whine...

7bucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:

True.

But the biggest impact the refs had on the series, and quite possibly the key moment of the series, is back-to-back iffy calls to bring the Bs back into the game (game 4) when they were 2-0 down.

Not only were they 2-0 down, they never looked like scoring at ES and the energy was sucked right out of that building.

Queue the officials, and voila, Bs back in it.

---

Yes, there've been blown calls both ways, yes the Sabres' PP has sucked major behind, but that doesn't change the fact that game 4, probably the key game in the series, was turned on dodgy officiating.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Game 4, Sobotka tripped in the closing minute and Lydman clears puck directly over the glass in OT, and inexplicable neither was called.

Yep, there has been a lot that has been missed in both directions. A choice few Boston posters thought the Bruins lost game 1 due in large part to the officiating. A choice few Sabre posters thought the Sabres lost game 4 due in large part to the officiating.

04-23-2010, 03:19 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yep, there has been a lot that has been missed in both directions. A choice few Boston posters thought the Bruins lost game 1 due in large part to the officiating. A choice few Sabre posters thought the Sabres lost game 4 due in large part to the officiating.
Boston lost Game 1 because they got outplayed for the most part. The officiating didn't help, but you also kind of expect that with a road game. In Game 4, even with the questionable back to back calls in the 3rd period, BUF still had a 2-1 lead...until Miller gave up a soft goal to Bergeron from a bad angle. He made up for it in the OT, by saving the game two or three times, but the bad goal he let in, not the 2nd PP (which the B's did not score on) was why the game got tied.

Every game has been close, and this series could easily be 3-1 BUF...but it's not, and that has nothing to do with the refs.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote