HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Dan Blackburn joins the Victoria Salmon Kings (ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Kovy274Hart

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
He stoped 32 of 36 shots and then won the game in a shootout. He did let in two goals on seven shots during the shootout though. This guy never gives up.

I thought he started? Man, that's weird. The two goals he allowed in regulation came 18 seconds apart in the third. One was a PP rebound and I am not sure about the other.

It's still great news for Dan. He helped Victoria finally break their winless streak . He rules!

Old
02-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Verbal Kint*

This is the greatest hockey related news I've heard all year. I've been rooting for Blackburn every step of the way and its great to hear that he's managing. Given that these are his first two games back I'm really hopinh that one day we'll be seeing the blocker-blocker combo on NHL ice.

Old
02-06-2005, 12:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
This is the greatest hockey related news I've heard all year. I've been rooting for Blackburn every step of the way and its great to hear that he's managing. Given that these are his first two games back I'm really hopinh that one day we'll be seeing the blocker-blocker combo on NHL ice.
I agree...what an amazing story for hockey. To see a guy (who probably is well off in life because of his time in the NHL) come back from a potential career ending injury and play just for the love of the game...it's awesome.

Here's to Dan Blackburn for a long hockey career...minor league or not, what this guy has done is incredible.

Old
02-06-2005, 01:04 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
He stoped 32 of 36 shots and then won the game in a shootout. He did let in two goals on seven shots during the shootout though. This guy never gives up.
Only letting 2 goals in from 7 breakaways...pretty good in my book.

Old
02-06-2005, 01:37 AM
VicHockeyFan

I just got back from the game.... amazing... he did great in the shootout...

The two quick goals were BOTH PP (both parts of a double-minor), not his fault at all, and one other was a two-man PP, again not his fault....

Old
02-06-2005, 01:57 AM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Only letting 2 goals in from 7 breakaways...pretty good in my book.

He was solid in the Shootout, I thought it was the best he played all game.

This was my first Salmon Kings experience and ECHL for that matter. That #17, I think it was Corey Smith? He was fun to watch, energetic, hits, never quits. He was something like 5'9 and I would say he won a good battle against a defensemen that was 6'5, he got a good hit on him behind the net, wrestled with him, skated around the boards hit him again in front of the net which cause a decent chance. One of few players I noticed everytime they were on the ice. Salmon Kings sure could use a little offensive help, one of the PP goals was very pretty. Only one player that I saw had a good shot, oddly he leads the team in goals. I think I will now catch another game, attendance was a little over 2,000. Can't wait for the new arena to open, it would make the drive down easier.

Old
02-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Levitate

man this is just an awesome story...i really hope he makes a career in hockey even if it's not the NHL...who would have thought he could be out of hockey for almost 2 years and then come back and play as well as this in a competative league (it's not the NHL, not even the AHL, but it's no beer league either...) on a terrible team and using a blocker instead of a glove

how can you not pull for this guy to make it...this is turning into a hell of an inspirational story, i hope he keeps it up

Old
02-06-2005, 08:50 AM
VicHockeyFan

There should be some more pictures up very soon, and video by the end of the week....

www.salmonkings.com

Old
02-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
not if he can't get a visa...he is playing in victoria instead of charlotte because there were no visas left.
I know that, but I'm saying that would he be able to leave the Knights this season and go to an AHL team.

Old
02-15-2005, 03:41 PM
VicHockeyFan

He should be in the net again tonite, after 5 days off.....

There is some video up now from his first two games....

http://www.salmonkings.com/schedule.asp click on the "CH" logo on the last two games its available.........

Old
02-23-2005, 11:20 AM
VicHockeyFan

He is now 2-5, got his first regulation win last night 5-2.

Old
02-23-2005, 11:21 AM
VicHockeyFan

He is now 3-4, got his first regulation win last night 5-2.

Old
02-24-2005, 04:21 AM
Phanuthier*

So how's that blocker-glove thing working so far?

Question: How exactly does a using a blocker instead of a glove help anyways?

Old
02-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Levitate

it's the movement he has to make with a glove vs. a blocker. i don't know exactly but my impression is that is has to do with being able to snap the arm up with the glove open to make a save...kind of a bicep contraction movement vs. moving the arm up to make a save like you would with a blocker.

i haven't really had a good look at saves he's made with the blocker to see how he does it exactly, but i believe he had to practice quite a bit to change his style and get used to saving with the blocker.

Old
02-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
it's the movement he has to make with a glove vs. a blocker. i don't know exactly but my impression is that is has to do with being able to snap the arm up with the glove open to make a save...kind of a bicep contraction movement vs. moving the arm up to make a save like you would with a blocker.

i haven't really had a good look at saves he's made with the blocker to see how he does it exactly, but i believe he had to practice quite a bit to change his style and get used to saving with the blocker.
I'm wondering, because when I read the TSN article, it said he can't do the rotatary movement for a glove save. Fair enough, but what exactly does the blocker do for him that the catching glove can't? Or can his arm swing in a rotary movement one way, but not the other?

Old
02-24-2005, 07:39 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
I'm wondering, because when I read the TSN article, it said he can't do the rotatary movement for a glove save. Fair enough, but what exactly does the blocker do for him that the catching glove can't? Or can his arm swing in a rotary movement one way, but not the other?
With a glove he can automatically come out and catch it, with the blocker he has to redirect it. The under glove part is for freezing the puck. What he does is punch his hand out with his blocker, like he would with a stick, but he can't do it.The normal glove doesn't provide enough protection of the wrist and other parts of that area in order to redirect like the blocker does. ex. brodeur's injury at the world cup where he just punched away the puck with his wrist.

Old
02-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
With a glove he can automatically come out and catch it, with the blocker he has to redirect it. The under glove part is for freezing the puck. What he does is punch his hand out with his blocker, like he would with a stick, but he can't do it.The normal glove doesn't provide enough protection of the wrist and other parts of that area in order to redirect like the blocker does. ex. brodeur's injury at the world cup where he just punched away the puck with his wrist.
Thanks

Another question, wouldn't there be a huge gap every time shooters go glove side?

Old
02-24-2005, 07:52 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Thanks

Another question, wouldn't there be a huge gap every time shooters go glove side?
what do you mean, i'm not exactly sure?

If you mean there'd be a hole? I'm not quite sure, it depends on how he holds his glove......

Closed Thread