HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2010 NFL Thread (All Jets, Giants and General NFL talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2010, 06:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
The Giants take Linval Joseph, DT from East Carolina.

Old
04-23-2010, 06:37 PM
patnyrnyg

Anyone know anything about him?

Old
04-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Giants take a free safety in the third.

Defensive depth seems to be the name of the game this year.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Giants take a free safety in the third.

Defensive depth seems to be the name of the game this year.
Chad Jones is a ****ing COUP in the 3rd, man.

What a pick. This kid should've went mid-2nd round. He's a borderline first round pick any other year than this year.

He's HUGE. He's extremely fast, as well.

JR is having a great day. Joseph is the run stopping DT we've needed for years and Jones is a great replacement for Phillips if he can't go this year (or ever).

Old
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Anyone know anything about him?
He's a HUGE NT. In a 4-3 defense, he'll be a tremendous asset as he'll allow for a guy like Cofield to run through while he takes on two players. Or he'll allow for one of our DEs to blast around the outside. Joseph is just a pile of mass space filling kid. He is a very fast NT, though. He won't be getting many sacks, but he has long arms and is a great tackler.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Well we seems pretty good everywhere except linebacker. Team's showing a lot of confidence in Goff by no big name free agent signings and no backers in the first three rounds. I had to guess, i'd say they'll grab a linebacker, tight end, and offensive lineman tomorrow.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

So our defensive line is good enough that we pretty much have the option of a pass rusher or a run stopper on every down.

Osi is gonna be pissed off.

DT; PR- Tuck(sometimes) Both- Cofield, Canty Run stop- this new guy

DW- PR- Umenyiora, Kiwanuka Both- Pierre Paul Run stop- Tuck, Tollefsson.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Well we seems pretty good everywhere except linebacker. Team's showing a lot of confidence in Goff by no big name free agent signings and no backers in the first three rounds. I had to guess, i'd say they'll grab a linebacker, tight end, and offensive lineman tomorrow.
They should go for Chaney next round for the LB spot.

This draft is so ****ing deep. Chaney is not a 4th round player any other year...

We do not need a tight end, though. Would much rather see them draft this:

Linebacker in the 4th
OT in the 5th.
RB/Punter in the 6th.
RB/Punter in the 7th.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:45 PM
clmetsfan

I can't even say how much I hate this draft so far. I get that the Giants needed to upgrade the pass rush, so even though I don't love the Pierre-Paul pick because of the probability that he's a bust (and because they inconceivably passed on Derrick Morgan), I can understand it. But to then take a DT and a safety in 2 and 3??? They now have 8 defensive linemen and 4 safeties. Safety was the only freaking position they addressed in free agency by signing two guys, and now they take a guy who's a project with a questionable work ethic.

And all this when LB, OL, and RB are far, far more pressing needs. I'm pissed.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:48 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Our offensive line was horrible and we had two underwhelming running backs who both had major offseason surgeries. We really only have one starting OLB and no reliable starter at MLB. QB, WR, and S are the only positions coming into this draft that I didn't see a need.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I can't even say how much I hate this draft so far. I get that the Giants needed to upgrade the pass rush, so even though I don't love the Pierre-Paul pick because of the probability that he's a bust (and because they inconceivably passed on Derrick Morgan), I can understand it. But to then take a DT and a safety in 2 and 3??? They now have 8 defensive linemen and 4 safeties. Safety was the only freaking position they addressed in free agency by signing two guys, and now they take a guy who's a project with a questionable work ethic.

And all this when LB, OL, and RB are far, far more pressing needs. I'm pissed.
Haha, you have to be kidding.

You think Deon Grant is going to start for us at safety if Kenny Phillips can't go? Grant is a back-up at this stage in his career. All signs point to Phillips not playing much or at all for us this year. Who the hell plays safety, then? Grant would be the new CC Brown. He's a great guy to have as a back-up.

Chad Jones is a TREMENDOUS pick in the 3rd for us. Just tremendous. He's one of the hardest hitting safeties around. He's a headhunter and has great ball skills. Questionable work ethic? Not at all. He's a two-sport athlete. Was also a pitcher for LSU.

When this kid can focus on football only, now, he's going to be just straight up nasty.

You must not know much about either him or Joseph to say anything bad about these picks.

DT was a huge need. Everyone had the Giants going DT either in the 1st or in the 2nd. Most people figured Price, but Joseph is the better player than Price and is a pure space-eater. We haven't had a run stopping DT this big in years. He's a bigger, more athletic version of Fred Robbins who's better against the run.

The fact that you are criticizing these picks is beyond me. Giants fans are mostly ecstatic about both of these.

Joseph is a 1st round NT prospect (early 2nd at the latest). Jones is easily a 2nd round prospect who I was SHOCKED to see was still around for us.

What LB would you want over either of these guys who were available at the time? What RB? What OT? None of the available players in those categories at the time of the picks were better than who the Giants picked.

You can maybe argue for Bruce Campbell, but do you really want another workout warrior? There is a reason he's free fallin'.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Chad Jones.

Watch and enjoy.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
clmetsfan

First of all, DT was not a huge need. Between Cofield, Alford, Canty, and Bernard, not to mention the inevitable shift inside for Tuck and/or Kiwanuka when they use more than two DEs, it was absolutely not a need. If they had jettisoned one of the aforementioned guys in the offseason then fine. But they didn't. Now we have 8 defensive linemen.

And I disagree 100% about everything safety. For starters, what signs are pointing to Phillips not playing? He's rehabbing ahead of schedule and running without pain. Even if he can't play much, Grant is still going to be ahead of Jones on the depth chart because just about everyone seems to agree that he's not ready to contribute right away.

Want examples of people I would have taken? Sean Lee over Joseph. Consensus best MLB available today and someone no one expected to be there at 46. Charles Brown, the OT out of USC too. Instead of Jones? Donald Butler, Shawn Lauvao...

In another year when we didn't have such glaring needs elsewhere I'd be happy with these. But we still have an absolutely atrocious linebacking corps, an aging and declining offensive line, and three questionable running backs all coming off serious surgery. And they've done nothing to address any of it.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Draft Guru

I'm guessing the Giants have legitimate concerns about the future health of Kenny Phillips, otherwise I can't understand why they'd draft another safety after signing Antrel Rolle

Old
04-23-2010, 09:37 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
First of all, DT was not a huge need. Between Cofield, Alford, Canty, and Bernard, not to mention the inevitable shift inside for Tuck and/or Kiwanuka when they use more than two DEs, it was absolutely not a need. If they had jettisoned one of the aforementioned guys in the offseason then fine. But they didn't. Now we have 8 defensive linemen.

And I disagree 100% about everything safety. For starters, what signs are pointing to Phillips not playing? He's rehabbing ahead of schedule and running without pain. Even if he can't play much, Grant is still going to be ahead of Jones on the depth chart because just about everyone seems to agree that he's not ready to contribute right away.

Want examples of people I would have taken? Sean Lee over Joseph. Consensus best MLB available today and someone no one expected to be there at 46. Charles Brown, the OT out of USC too. Instead of Jones? Donald Butler, Shawn Lauvao...

In another year when we didn't have such glaring needs elsewhere I'd be happy with these. But we still have an absolutely atrocious linebacking corps, an aging and declining offensive line, and three questionable running backs all coming off serious surgery. And they've done nothing to address any of it.
I think you stay true to your draft board. You can get RBs and Gs anywhere in the draft. From what I've read, the Giants drafted big, physical and physically gifted athletes. As for the LBs, Boley was fine when he was healthy, and I think Simtim gets on the field a lot more this year. Yes, they need an MLB. But, watching Aaron Ross have to move to safety and getting burned by DeSean Jackson in the game against Philly, I don't want to see that happen again.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Alford sucks. Bernard HAS sucked. Canty is not a big run stopper. Cofield is not a run stopper. They NEEDED an inside run stopper. Why the hell do you think teams ran so much on us? Take a wild guess. Joseph was a great pick at that spot. A borderline 1st round NT midway through the 2nd? Sign me up any day of the week. He solves our run stopping issues for the next 10 years.

Quote:
Everything about Phillips from the Giants have been that they are moving forward as if he is not playing next year. They HAD to pick a safety in the draft. Nearly every mock had us taking a safety either in the 2nd or the 3rd. Jerry had us taking a safety, clearly. You're the only one who doesn't have us needing a safety.

Guess who is wrong here, again?

Quote:
You'd of taken SEAN LEE instead Joseph at forty ****ing six? Lee is a 3rd round prospect. It was a huge reach for Dallas to jump in there and grab him. Butler is a solid prospect, but he would not fit inside for us. Butler would be a OLB, which we have a plethora of right now. A guy like Chaney in the 4th is a much better fit for us.

Brown is a solid OT, but he's a horrible run blocker. We need a RT. A big time run blocker. You want to draft another LT and pray that he somehow learns to block the run? Please.

Lauvao is also looked at as more of a guard. I'm not a big fan of drafting guards until the mid rounds unless they are potentially dominant guys like Iupati or Pouncey. Simply no reason to make a move for a guy like Lauvao over either Joseph or Jones.

Quote:
We weren't picking any RBs in the draft until later on, unless Spiller was available. There are ALWAYS good value RBs in the later rounds. We will leave the draft with one of them.

Lest you forget, we still have Andre Brown who will, essentially, be a rookie this year since he was injured all year last year. He's a great young kid who should add some solid depth for us this year. Was looking great in camp till he hurt himself.

This is just not a good class of linebackers who aren't 3-4 rush linebackers. Maybe you're fine with reaching for players, but most Giants fans aren't and Jerry Reese is not.

He got TREMENDOUS value in the Joseph and Jones picks. For you to dismiss them is simply laughable.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I think you stay true to your draft board. You can get RBs and Gs anywhere in the draft. From what I've read, the Giants drafted big, physical and physically gifted athletes. As for the LBs, Boley was fine when he was healthy, and I think Simtim gets on the field a lot more this year. Yes, they need an MLB. But, watching Aaron Ross have to move to safety and getting burned by DeSean Jackson in the game against Philly, I don't want to see that happen again.
****, Jones can even play LB for us. He's ****ing HUGE. He's just as big as Boley is.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:48 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:

How about we wait to see what happens? Kirk Morrison is sure to be available, and the Giants have been linked to him for months. Do you really think Reese doesn't know the LB's need to be addressed? I'm sure he has a plan.

As for the RB's I completely disagree about taking one. Jacobs hopefully will get back to form now that he's healthy, and Bradshaw is more than capable of getting carries. Then you have two guys in Andre Brown and Gartrell Johnson that have high upside. Maybe in a year or two we need a RB, but not now. There's plenty of potential in our current core.

The OL needs to be addressed, definitely. Hopefully the core can come back healthier this year, and Beatty should be good. Diehl was taken in the 5th round. O'Hara and Seubert weren't even drafted. In other words, just because the OL wasn't addressed in the first 3 rounds doesn't mean that it can't be helped. It makes no sense to evaluate any picks without seeing what happens later. In the NFL you can not evaluate pick-by-pick. In hockey you're mostly going for BPA, but in football there is a much more specific plan of attack.

Old
04-23-2010, 09:51 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Osi is gonna get angry? Who cares! He'll be happy when it's week 14 and he's actually fresh.

I wouldn't worry about Jones slacking; he'll be dealing with Coughlin and Fewell two disciplinarians. That was a viscous hit a la Scott Stevens style.

As for the Joseph pick; someone has to replace Fred Robbins. He'll be missed but he's long in the tooth.

Reese always pulls rabbits out of his hat in late rounds. He can find a lineman in the later rounds, and Beatty will most likely be starting this year.

RBs? I forgot his name but they had that kid last year who got injured very early in training camp and missed the entire season.

Old
04-23-2010, 10:07 PM
17futurecap

As a Jets fan, can't say I saw any Umass football, but Faneca and Woody are getting up there so it is always good to have some depth. Also having Callahan coach this kid will help him a lot.

Old
04-23-2010, 10:12 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Alford sucks. Bernard HAS sucked. Canty is not a big run stopper. Cofield is not a run stopper. They NEEDED an inside run stopper. Why the hell do you think teams ran so much on us? Take a wild guess. Joseph was a great pick at that spot. A borderline 1st round NT midway through the 2nd? Sign me up any day of the week. He solves our run stopping issues for the next 10 years.
Alford most certainly does not suck, he was just hurt last year, and Cofield is absolutely a run stopper.

Quote:
Everything about Phillips from the Giants have been that they are moving forward as if he is not playing next year. They HAD to pick a safety in the draft. Nearly every mock had us taking a safety either in the 2nd or the 3rd. Jerry had us taking a safety, clearly. You're the only one who doesn't have us needing a safety.
This is just flat out wrong. You're gonna need to back that up, because EVERYTHING I've read has said exactly the opposite.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/04/15/2010-04-15_new_york_giants_safety_kenny_phillips_ready_to_ return_to_training_camp_soon_deon.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5094982

And Deon Grant has started 145 straight NFL games. Oh, but apparently you think he's a bum. Good to know.

Quote:
Guess who is wrong here, again?
Uh, you?

Quote:
You'd of taken SEAN LEE instead Joseph at forty ****ing six? Lee is a 3rd round prospect. It was a huge reach for Dallas to jump in there and grab him.
Wrong again. Observe:

Quote:
Mayock ranks Lee as the second-best inside linebacker prospect in the draft behind Alabama's Rolando McClain.

"It wouldn't surprise me if one of those really good teams that made it to the playoffs last year, between 25 and 32, that don't have a lot of needs but they just want a good, solid football player, I wouldn't be surprised if he snuck in late in the first round," Mayock said during a conference call in February.

If Lee doesn't go in the first round, Mayock thought he could go in the first half of the second round.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport...t_sleeper.html
Quote:
6:07 p.m. - - The Giants pick 14th in the second round (46th overall) and Im told they are hoping to see Penn State LB Sean Lee sitting there for them. I ran that buy one of my NFL sources earlier and he said No chance he gets to them. No way.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...#ixzz0lz2Yo9Gq
Quote:
Lest you forget, we still have Andre Brown who will, essentially, be a rookie this year since he was injured all year last year. He's a great young kid who should add some solid depth for us this year. Was looking great in camp till he hurt himself.
Brown is trying to come back from a ruptured Achilles. For a running back, I'd say it's about a 50-50 shot at best that he becomes an effective player.

Old
04-23-2010, 10:18 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
As for the RB's I completely disagree about taking one. Jacobs hopefully will get back to form now that he's healthy, and Bradshaw is more than capable of getting carries. Then you have two guys in Andre Brown and Gartrell Johnson that have high upside. Maybe in a year or two we need a RB, but not now. There's plenty of potential in our current core.
For a team that is at its best when running the ball, saying that your workhorse back will "hopefully" get back to form is pretty damn risky. Not to mention that he'll probably never be fully healthy again. The shelf life for running backs is absurdly short, and he's always taken a lot more punishment than the average back.

Bradshaw had surgery on both ankles last year. He'll probably be more or less himself for another couple years, but he can't be the #1 option if you want to compete.

As I said already, Brown is trying to come back from a ruptured Achilles. It's entirely possible that he never makes it back.

Gartrell Johnson has high upside? Ok, if that's what you want to believe.

Old
04-23-2010, 10:27 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
For a team that is at its best when running the ball, saying that your workhorse back will "hopefully" get back to form is pretty damn risky. Not to mention that he'll probably never be fully healthy again. The shelf life for running backs is absurdly short, and he's always taken a lot more punishment than the average back.

Bradshaw had surgery on both ankles last year. He'll probably be more or less himself for another couple years, but he can't be the #1 option if you want to compete.

As I said already, Brown is trying to come back from a ruptured Achilles. It's entirely possible that he never makes it back.

Gartrell Johnson has high upside? Ok, if that's what you want to believe.
And it's entirely possible that Kenny Phillips never returns to form or even returns, and that hasn't stopped you from criticizing picking up Jones. You can't justify picking up a running back because of injuries and then criticize a pick used on a safety for the same exact reason. That's a major contradiction.

Old
04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
And it's entirely possible that Kenny Phillips never returns to form or even returns, and that hasn't stopped you from criticizing picking up Jones. You can't justify picking up a running back because of injuries and then criticize a pick used on a safety for the same exact reason. That's a major contradiction.
Not really, because if Phillips doesn't return (and contrary to what Jonathan says, he's right on track to do so), it's a position that they addressed by signing two starting safeties in the offseason. And running back depth is a lot more important than safety depth.

Three running backs coming off major leg surgeries is not a good situation.

Old
04-23-2010, 10:46 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Not really, because if Phillips doesn't return (and contrary to what Jonathan says, he's right on track to do so), it's a position that they addressed by signing two starting safeties in the offseason. And running back depth is a lot more important than safety depth.

Three running backs coming off major leg surgeries is not a good situation.
Deon Grant is not a starting safety anymore. If he was, then why would he sign in NY knowing that he would be a backup? That is, unless Phillips isn't healthy...

Closed Thread