HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Bobby Ryan??

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2005, 02:24 PM
tuckerdomi

vCash: 500
Bobby Ryan??

Is this kid good or what? who does he remind you of when he plays the game? Not sold on him yet.

Old
02-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Lessy

He's a real solid player. A big power forward, whos scoring numbers have really surprised me this year so far.

Old
02-22-2005, 02:52 PM
sunb

He is really slow though. If he was a great skater, he'd be challenging Crosby for the #1 spot imo and would definitely be a consensus #2 pick. Crosby will still likely be picked #1 but Ryan would be a package GMs who not readily pass up. He is big, he can score and he is physical. Not much more you can ask for from a player. Bobby Clark absolutely loves him and Ryan plays like a younger Lindros. He has some very soft hands and is a player who can score as well as set up plays. He is big (around 6'2'' and 225 pounds) guy who can score from the perimeter or force his way to the front of the net. While he isn't overly physical, he is excellent down low and around the boards. His Achilles Heel is his speed and skating. Right now he can dominate in the OHL with mediocre speed and skating but I don't know how much that weakness will be exploited once he gets to the NHL. He isn't very fast and isn't very agile. He has improved his speed over last summer and if he can keep up the progress, he might be the most effective player in the 2005 draft class.

He is injured right now because of the cheap hit by Bourret. But honestly I really don't think it will hurt his value. I am sure he's probably hitting the gym every day gaining muscle and working on his skating as we speak. If the draft was held today, there is no doubt he'd be a top 4 pick among Crosby, Brule and Johnson. For example, Patty O'Sullivan is considered a great prospect, almost Blue-chip quality. Ryan is scoring at the same pace as O'Sullivan this year and he is more than two years younger than than Pat.

Last edited by sunb: 02-22-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old
02-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
He is really slow though. If he was a great skater, he'd be challenging Crosby for the #1 spot imo and would definitely be a consensus #2 pick. Crosby will still likely be picked #1 but Ryan would be a package GMs who not readily pass up. He is big, he can score and he is physical. Not much more you can ask for from a player. Bobby Clark absolutely loves him and Ryan plays like a younger Lindros. He has some very soft hands and is a player who can score as well as set up plays. He is big (around 6'2'' and 225 pounds) guy who can score from the perimeter or force his way to the front of the net. While he isn't overly physical, he is excellent down low and around the boards. His Achilles Heel is his speed and skating. Right now he can dominate in the OHL with mediocre speed and skating but I don't know how much that weakness will be exploited once he gets to the NHL. He isn't very fast and isn't very agile. He has improved his speed over last summer and if he can keep up the progress, he might be the most effective player in the 2005 draft class.

He is injured right now because of the cheap hit by Bourret. But honestly I really don't think it will hurt his value. I am sure he's probably hitting the gym every day gaining muscle and working on his skating as we speak. If the draft was held today, there is no doubt he'd be a top 4 pick among Crosby, Brule and Johnson.
He should be a top 10 pick for sure. He's improved his skating over last year (it's still below average mind you but as long as he improves...) and he really does have some of the best hands in the entire draft. Even if he was a fast skater I don't think his game would change much. He's effective downlow, he's not a breakaway type and never will be.

I thought he got back from the injury?

Old
02-22-2005, 03:13 PM
balddog66

With the NHL looking to move towards offense, if I was a GM I'd definately take him before Johnson...
His skating has improved, and I believe he's been back from his injury for a few games now.
Guys like Lemieux, Andreychuk, Gretzky and Robitaille were also criticized for their poor skating...
Bobby Clarke is a huge Ryan fan, in fact that's why he's in Owen Sound...Attacks bench boss was an assistant in Philadelphia and Clarke helped convince Ryan his best route was through the OHL.

Old
02-22-2005, 07:05 PM
mercury

I have heard he is a John LeClair (when he was great) type. Clarke is also very close with his family. Perhaps we will see Philly trade up to the Top 5 to take in the draft. He is from Cherry Hill, NJ, right across the Delaware from Philly. Also, most of the team's players live in South Jersey in that area. I think he has Orange and Black written all over him. And he looks like Scarlett Johansson.

Old
02-22-2005, 10:36 PM
VernonForrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by balddog66
With the NHL looking to move towards offense, if I was a GM I'd definately take him before Johnson...
His skating has improved, and I believe he's been back from his injury for a few games now.
Guys like Lemieux, Andreychuk, Gretzky and Robitaille were also criticized for their poor skating...
Bobby Clarke is a huge Ryan fan, in fact that's why he's in Owen Sound...Attacks bench boss was an assistant in Philadelphia and Clarke helped convince Ryan his best route was through the OHL.
Have you seen Johnson play? he is extremely talented offensively as well with great playmaking instincts.

Old
02-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
And he looks like Scarlett Johansson.
that's so true! :lol

Old
02-23-2005, 10:01 PM
mercury

Do you know how people ask "Who would play so-and-so in a movie?" It's so funny that the closest one for a 6'2, 220 lb. power forward is a blonde, red-lipped actress.

Old
02-24-2005, 12:13 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
And he looks like Scarlett Johansson.
...he actually does look like her...

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...er.php?id=2998

Old
02-24-2005, 01:25 AM
borro

Quote:
I could be wrong but he seems to be entrenching himself at #4 prospect for 2005. Top3 seems set. Maybe really the Top 4 is.

Old
02-24-2005, 05:50 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Just to clarify things, neither Gretzky nor Lemieux were criticized for their skating ability. Gretzky had a hunched over style, but was a fantastic skater - perhaps not explosive ala Kovalchuk, but smooth as silk and could move laterally extremely well and didn't slow one iota with the puck. Some were critical of Lemieux looking a little lazy at times, but again he had fantastic speed and skating was never an issue.

I agree with your point overall, I just think these two guys aren't the right example for skating to bring up when you're talking about Bobby Ryan. Their skating abilities are worlds apart.

Jason Allison is a good comparison. He had to improve his skating to finally make an impact in the NHL, as his skating was a realy weak point. Personally, Ryan reminds me a lot of Alexei Yashin. Not fast at all, but extremely strong on his skates and loves to bull his way out of the corner. Similar hands too, and both look painfully slow at times. And none of these guys really use their size as an intimidating presence.

I don't think it's going to shock too many people if Ryan ends up a 40 goal scorer, but I do think it will take a little longer than most (don't expect a Rick Nash impact), as he will need to focus a few years on improving his skating and learning to adapt to pro speed and strength. He's toying with teenagers right now. Wouldn't surprise me to see some call him a bust at some point in the next three yeas, but he does end up being an impact player eventually. We've all seen that happen.

Old
02-24-2005, 07:15 AM
FearTheFlyers

Ryan's skating has developed extremely well to the point he is a dominating force on the PK forecheck. Not enough has said about his incredible vision to find open men for tap ins. I see hi being a playmaking power forward and in his prime potting 35-50-85. He has played with one arm since the prospects game and is still on an 8 game point streak.

Old
02-24-2005, 07:57 AM
nrf83

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/view...4&pr_key=25272

here is mckeens latest on Ryan. Looks like a great prospect. If JJ is not available I would love to see Ryan in NYR blue.

Old
02-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by borro
I could be wrong but he seems to be entrenching himself at #4 prospect for 2005. Top3 seems set. Maybe really the Top 4 is.
I'd say that's an extremely premature statement. Perhaps consensus on HFBoards has been achieved but that does not mean that there's actually a consensus top 3 or top 4. And really consensus is almost never achieved between teams. Usually their lists differ to a very great degree. Unless there's massive drop offs in talent then there usually isn't a consensus.

I see Crosby as the consensus #1 since there's a massive dropoff after that but to say the #2 and #3 guys are set at this point is ridiculous to me. Heck even the scouting services don't have consensus, Brule is #6 in North America according to central scouting.

Old
02-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Form and Substance

Ryan could scurry up to #2 if his playoff run is awesome. But he's a lock for the top 10.

Last edited by Form and Substance: 02-25-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Closed Thread