HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Howard, Myers and Duchene Calder Finalists

Old
04-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Howard, Myers and Duchene Calder Finalists

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...avid=DLNHLhome
Quote:

The three finalists for the 2009-10 Calder Memorial Trophy for top rookie are Tyler Myers of Buffalo, Matt Duchene of Colorado, and Jimmy Howard of Detroit.

The winner is selected in a poll by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season.

To be eligible for the Calder, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. Also, a player must not have attained his 26th birthday by Sept. 15th of the season in which he is eligible.

The winner of the trophy will be announced at the 2010 NHL Awards, to be held in Las Vegas on June 23. The ceremony will be broadcast live from the Pearl Concert Theater inside the Palms Hotel Las Vegas on VERSUS in the United States and CBC in Canada.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
I think that if it had been the coaches job, Howard would win it. But, the writers is going to pick Myers. And, both of them deserves it.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 01:19 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Unfortunately, Myers will win it. Howard definitely deserves it, he has stood out amongst the best in the league on the best franchise in the league. Myers did really well for a rookie on a relying heavily on goaltending IMO.

Hope Jimmy wins it, though! Congrats on the nomination!

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Super Berg

I am of the same mind that Myers will win it. They like to give it to who they consider to be a "true rookie"....someone who is truly getting their feet wet and preferably under 24. Also they just absolutely love Dman who can play a regular shift and excel as a rookie

See how Barret Jackman won over Zetterberg back in the day.

Myers will win it.

Super Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:06 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
At least Myers is good on his own. Jackman was playing with Al MacInnis, and it didn't take much to play well next to him. Myers has been playing with Henrik Tallinder, and Senator Tallinder, you're no Al MacInnis.

Howard deserves it but they will give it to Myers. C'est la vie.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
At least Myers is good on his own. Jackman was playing with Al MacInnis, and it didn't take much to play well next to him. Myers has been playing with Henrik Tallinder, and Senator Tallinder, you're no Al MacInnis.

Howard deserves it but they will give it to Myers. C'est la vie.

Good call on Jackman...in the end, Hank has clearly been the better player. It's crazy seeing the names that have won the Calder since the lockout...Ovechkin, Malkin, Kane and Mason. They have been some washouts amongst the winners prior to the lockout.

I think Myers is going to be an excellent player for the Sabres but I think Howard has meant more to his team than Myers has. Considering Ozzie dropped the ball and Howard for the most part was thrusted into the #1 spot, the guy was in a position of sink or swim. Time seemed to be running out on him with the Wings if he couldn't cut it and it looks like it's finally coming together for him. He's a feel good story if nothing else. My vote would go to Myers...Howard would get my 2nd place vote.

Howard would the oldest rookie since Belfour won in it in '90-91. The year prior to that, Sergei Makarov won the award as a 31-year-old with Calgary. Howard would be the 5th winner of the award that is 26 or older.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 03:22 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
The age arguments are just dumb. Tony Esposito won the Calder at age 26 with numbers nearly identical to Howard's. Nabokov won it at 25 with numbers a notch below Howard's. Most of the goalies that have won it were between 23 and 26. It's not a coincidence - it's because goalies usually take longer to develop.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 03:37 PM
heyfolks

Give it to the best player. I do not know Matt (met him 2x) but I know his Uncle well. A great family, with Michigan ties. He will be the next great Av player.

That said, Jimmy was the most valuable to his team.

heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 03:46 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
stay out of the main board thread.. some little tool keeps being anti-redwing and its not even worth the postings... I learned the hard way, lmao.

Even though I doubt he will win, glad to see another rookie for us made this much of an impression.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Marky9er

I don't think Howard will, or should win. They will probaly change the rule after this season to save future debate. Not unlike last year in the OHL, Grachev won it as a 19 year old import.....and some 16 year old kid named Tyler Seguin got screwed out of it. They changed the rule. As they should. Howard is a 5th year pro, end of story for me.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 05:49 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
I think that if it had been the coaches job, Howard would win it. But, the writers is going to pick Myers. And, both of them deserves it.
Why would coaches pick one thing and writers another?

You don't think coaches are impressed by Myers?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
I don't think Howard will, or should win. They will probaly change the rule after this season to save future debate. Not unlike last year in the OHL, Grachev won it as a 19 year old import.....and some 16 year old kid named Tyler Seguin got screwed out of it. They changed the rule. As they should. Howard is a 5th year pro, end of story for me.
Yeah. I'd like to see the Calder age lowered to 22. Two years of OHL. Two Years of AHL. Time to play.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 05:59 PM
norrisnick

I'd trade Jimmy for Myers in a heartbeat.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Buffalo would have to throw in Miller, Howie don't share the net.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Most of the goalies that have won it were between 23 and 26. It's not a coincidence - it's because goalies usually take longer to develop.

Miller and Howard have taken similar paths...both spent 4 seasons in the AHL before getting a chance to play full-time...I think Miller was 25 or 26 also when he got the #1 job. Miller had more success in the minors but didn't have as good of a first full season in the league as Howard had.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 12:17 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Why would coaches pick one thing and writers another?

You don't think coaches are impressed by Myers?

Because coaches know that goaltending is much more important than defense. We have had crappy defense much of the year, but still goaltending has been overall good.

One could argue as much as one want about the writers "knowing" this too, but they really don't.

But either way you go, it isn't a bad choice. Unless they pick Duchene

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
Because coaches know that goaltending is much more important than defense. We have had crappy defense much of the year, but still goaltending has been overall good.

One could argue as much as one want about the writers "knowing" this too, but they really don't.

But either way you go, it isn't a bad choice. Unless they pick Duchene
Weird that our GM doesn't know that "truism"...

Good defense is more important than good goaltending, but bad goaltending can sink everything.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Same, Myers right now looks like he is going to be better than Chara and has franchise dman written all over him. However, it will be interesting to see how he does as a sophomore, but for a 19-20 year old dman he has shown amazing poise as a rookie and is totally deserving of winning the calder

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 08:02 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Is there anyone who wouldn't trade Howard for Myers?

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 07:58 AM
14ari13

Congratulations to Howard.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 08:13 AM
SayNoToStim

Howard won't win. Last year they picked a flash-in-the-pan hot goalie who fizzled out this year and didn't even make the playoffs. As much as they'll deny it they don't want to pick another goalie right now for fear of that happening again.

Plus Howard isn't as marketable as Myers.

SayNoToStim is offline   Reply With Quote