HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Massive slump

Old
04-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Massive slump

So, I'm currently in the worst slump I've ever been in...Through 5 games, I have 2 goals, 1 assist. During the season in the fall, I had 13 goals, 12 assist in 10 games. Anybody have some tips on how to break out of a slump?

I think I'm playing well and I'm getting chances but the puck isn't going in the net. It's probably the most frustrating thing ever.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Trumanperro

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
So, I'm currently in the worst slump I've ever been in...Through 5 games, I have 2 goals, 1 assist. During the season in the fall, I had 13 goals, 12 assist in 10 games. Anybody have some tips on how to break out of a slump?

I think I'm playing well and I'm getting chances but the puck isn't going in the net. It's probably the most frustrating thing ever.
Get your mind off the slump. Your most likely going into the game thinking "am I gonna break this slump" or "I can't score i'm in a slump". Just listen to your iPod, joke around with teammates during warm-ups and get back to the business of playing hockey for enjoyment.

The more you let thing flow naturally, the more that same feeling is extended to your game and you'll start burying the puck in the back of the net.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Hrad

Well at the beginning of my this past season I had my first ever real slump. Something like 4 goals and meh assists in 11 games, usually I'm that guy who puts up close to a goal per game and am the "go to" guy on my team.

Anyways, all that changed when I got some more confidence. If you know that you CAN score a lot of goals/points and you're just not playing to your potential, you just have to man up, play hard, and the goals will come. Once you score a couple you will get back into it.

I ended my season with a 12 game scoring streak and 23 goals in those last 12 games. Our team went from 9th in the league to 4th, and I like to think I had something to do with that.

So just play hard, be confident out there, and the goals will come.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Heat McManus

Hard work. Focus on the things you're doing that are going right. I.e strong forechecking, back-checking, passing, etc.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I had that in the middle of my season...started out with 9 games, 3g 6a, +10 or something like that. Then I had a stretch of 7 or so games with only 2 assists and was -2. Towards the end, I realized I had drastically gotten away from "my" game.

I am a really offensive minded forward, and I typically like to rush the puck, skate it up ice, dangle, and shoot. During my slump, all I was focused on was shutting down the other team, passing the puck up the ice, and getting the puck deep then going for a quick change. It sounds like the right thing to do, but I'm a lot more dangerous and confident when I have the puck with a scoring mindset...and the other team can't score when the puck is in their end.

So I started rushing the puck again, being aggressive, and trying to score. Yes, my shifts got a little long again, but I had another 3 goals 4 assists and was about +6 or so down the last 8 or 9 games.

Moral of the story for me was to do the things I'm good at...not necessarily keeping it simple and working hard, but to play the game that made me successful in the first place.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Frankie Spankie

Must be nice to consider that a slump, I consider myself lucky to score 1 goal.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I had that in the middle of my season...started out with 9 games, 3g 6a, +10 or something like that. Then I had a stretch of 7 or so games with only 2 assists and was -2. Towards the end, I realized I had drastically gotten away from "my" game.

I am a really offensive minded forward, and I typically like to rush the puck, skate it up ice, dangle, and shoot. During my slump, all I was focused on was shutting down the other team, passing the puck up the ice, and getting the puck deep then going for a quick change. It sounds like the right thing to do, but I'm a lot more dangerous and confident when I have the puck with a scoring mindset...and the other team can't score when the puck is in their end.

So I started rushing the puck again, being aggressive, and trying to score. Yes, my shifts got a little long again, but I had another 3 goals 4 assists and was about +6 or so down the last 8 or 9 games.

Moral of the story for me was to do the things I'm good at...not necessarily keeping it simple and working hard, but to play the game that made me successful in the first place.
I've been thinking my slump is being caused by me playing a simple game and throwing a bunch of shots on goal from the top of the circles.

Usually(Pre-slump) I try and stick-handle around everybody. I'll be the first to admit that I turn the puck over a lot, but I also generate a ton of offense. Lately, though I've been scared of turning the puck over, so I haven't been attacking the net with my stick-handling. So I've been shooting the puck every time it's on my stick.

I've got a game Monday night, and I'll be sure to get back to what has made me successful in the past, even if I do turn the puck over.

Old
04-30-2010, 03:31 AM
Hades

Quote:
I've been thinking my slump is being caused by me playing a simple game and throwing a bunch of shots on goal from the top of the circles.

Usually(Pre-slump) I try and stick-handle around everybody. I'll be the first to admit that I turn the puck over a lot, but I also generate a ton of offense. Lately, though I've been scared of turning the puck over, so I haven't been attacking the net with my stick-handling. So I've been shooting the puck every time it's on my stick.

I've got a game Monday night, and I'll be sure to get back to what has made me successful in the past, even if I do turn the puck over.
Ever tried passing the puck?

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 06:50 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

go to a drop in and score 10 goals

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 08:48 AM
noobman

3pts in 5 games is a slump?

It's all in your head. You're playing well and putting up points. Just keep playing and the points will come.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
Ever tried passing the puck?
Some of us just can't pass worth a damn. I flubbed two 2-on-1's because I missed the pass. Next 2-on-1, I shot, hit the goalie in the mask, puck straight down, other guy had a tap in goal.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

Ha that really isn't that bad ... you need to average your totals. I average 1 point per game as a Dman.

Sometimes I go two games without a sniff at a goal and then bang ... hat trick. I get my assists as a Dman who likes to pinch which can be costly sometimes if one is not careful.

You should not worry about a dry spell is my point, it'll come around.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Heat McManus

A buddy of mine has coached a bunch of NHLers, AHLers, and down the line and he just got a call from one of his kids currently playing in the AHL. He asked my buddy what to do to get out of a slump:

Quote:
I told him that a haircut is the answer and some new laces in the skates
And the kid had an assist on the GWG.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Webernaut

I had posted a thread on here like two months ago about a slump. I changed my tape color from black to white and apparently that did the trick. Just concentrate on being a good teammate and the goals will come. Make a conscious effort to do one thing well in your next game whether it be passing, backchecking, etc. Maybe change your routine before games... ?

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 01:06 AM
SERE 24
LGR

In my third year of NCAA hockey I hadn't had a point in 12 straight games. This was coming off of 7 points in my freshman season and 16 the following year. I thought I was in a massive slump and felt terrible about it, complained to my teammates, switched sticks, changed how I taped, tried all different kinds of "rituals" that I felt had brought me some measure of luck in the past (ie. ordering the same sandwich from subway before a game)... nothing worked. Finally in like our 15th game I hit the crossbar on a two on one, got frustrated, followed the puck into the corner and took a terrible and blatant cross checking penalty. After I came out of the box one of our coaches took me aside and asked me what the hit had been about (I averaged maybe 6 PIMs per year). I ranted about bad luck and being ice cold and he told me I was "probably playing the best hockey on the team". In hindsight I realize he was likely just trying to boost my confidence, but I finished the season with 2 goals, 4 assists and a +18. I was our go to faceoff and PK man and a big contributor to our team ending up with our best record in several years. I learned that not scoring and not playing good hockey aren't the same thing and I was never concerned with personal statistics again.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Just wanted to update this thread...I scored 2 goals last Monday night. I also had 3 or 4 nice tape-to-tape passes that resulted in quality chances.

Old
05-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Some of us just can't pass worth a damn. I flubbed two 2-on-1's because I missed the pass. Next 2-on-1, I shot, hit the goalie in the mask, puck straight down, other guy had a tap in goal.
Fair enough.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I had two goals in five games. I didn't get pissed, but I went into this game with my head high knowing what I wanted to do.

Came out tonight and notched one, two, three, hat-trick. Best game for me by far.

Just gotta keep calm and drive to what you're doing it. Head to the net, get your stick on the rink, and pop in some re-bounds.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:37 PM
OkimLom

"Just remember you're only responsible for the goals not assists. If someone can't get a goal if you pass it to them then it's not your fault. You have no control over if he/she shoots it wide or into the goalie. "

I was told this by my buddy and when I concentrated on this I found the pressure to break my slump off of me. In fact as more people realized I would pass it to my teammates I found myself with more room and better opportunities which resulted in more goals.

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote