HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Patrick Thoresen - back to Philadelphia?

Old
04-24-2010, 03:00 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Patrick Thoresen - back to Philadelphia?

Here is a google translate: http://translate.google.com/translat...12&sl=no&tl=en

Seems like the Flyers is still interested in signing him. He has been great in both Switzerland and Russia since leaving.

Some of his goals from Russia and of course that nut-blocker from last time. Looks like he got his offensive confidence back, doing quite well both in Switzerland(think he came top 3) and top 6(?) in KHL in points this year.

Where can he fit in with you?

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:02 PM
PhillyCurt12

vCash: 500
i'd certainly welcome him back. perhaps an asham or cote replacement?

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:04 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I'm excited. 3rd line replacement for Asham?

JVR - Roo - Thor would be fun to watch.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:05 PM
treeman

i love the guy.. played his nuts off when he was here

treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:06 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post

Where can he fit in with you?
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure where he fits. If he'd take a 2-way deal I'm sure we'd love to have him as an insurance policy/call up guy in the event that he doesn't find his niche on the team out of camp to begin with...which I think he may be able to do. If some of our bottom-line guys are gone this off season, I'd love to have ole' defensively responsible, scoring-capable Patty One-Nut back. I loved that guy.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:06 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'd be comfortable giving him the one-way deal that he wanted now.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Scoopyten

Not 100% sure where he fits, but the guy is a warrior.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:09 PM
FlyerX

I'd rather have Asham back. Still would not mind seeing Thoresen, but he's not the player Asham is. He'd be deeper on the chart.

What they need to do is hold on to draft picks and get the Phantoms developing useful NHL players again.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
I'd rather have Asham back. Still would not mind seeing Thoresen, but he's not the player Asham is. He'd be deeper on the chart.

What they need to do is hold on to draft picks and get the Phantoms developing useful NHL players again.
Thoresen is a better player than Asham right now. I'd be willing to bet money on it.

I like Asham too, but he won't be here next year. We need to fill out our lines with offensive talent. Thor has that.

And no, the occasional deke is not offensive talent.

Old
04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Thoresen is a better player than Asham right now. I'd be willing to bet money on it.

I like Asham too, but he won't be here next year. We need to fill out our lines with offensive talent. Thor has that.

I'm assuming you missed his 1st stint here?

I really like Thor, wouldn't mind him coming back as a 4th liner, but the guy has rock hands.

EDIT: For the record, Marcel Hossa and Pavel Brendl were the top 2 goalscorers in the KHL this past year, so please don't use his KHL stats as the basis for him becoming a good offensive player.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Clown Baby

No thanks. Tollefsen and Thoresen both have a ton of heart, but next to no hockey sense. Its not enough.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:26 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Whatever "offensive talent" Thor has, he certainly forgets all about when he puts on a Flyers jersey.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:28 PM
mypunkrock

Carcillo - Richards - Gagne
Hartnell - Carter - Briere
JvR - Giroux - Leino
Powe - Betts - Lappy

Unless one of Hartnell, Carter, Briere, or Gagne is gone, where would Thoresen fit? I doubt he'd want to come back and not even make the lineup.

Really, something has to happen in the off season for him to have a chance. Alternatively, if they don't re-sign Powe (which by all accounts they're very close to a deal ), and Carcillo goes down to the fourth line, Hartnell gets bumped, Leino moves up, Thor could go on the third line. I personally find that unlikely.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm assuming you missed his 1st stint here?
You mean the one where he was an absolute puck-shark, hard-worker, but was the most unlucky finisher I've ever seen?

104 games, 46 goals, and 74 assists later for 120 points over the course of two years, one of which spent dominating the KHL, is not good enough for you?

Thor has offensive talent. Not 50-60 points, but I'll take 25-30 next to Giroux. It's better than Asham.

I'm assuming YOU missed his 1st stint here. Oh, and also every game he's played since.

Quote:
I really like Thor, wouldn't mind him coming back as a 4th liner, but the guy has rock hands.

EDIT: For the record, Marcel Hossa and Pavel Brendl were the top 2 goalscorers in the KHL this past year, so please don't use his KHL stats as the basis for him becoming a good offensive player.
Some people are unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Carcillo - Richards - Gagne
JvR - Giroux - Leino
Powe - Betts - Lappy

Unless one of Hartnell, Carter, Briere, or Gagne is gone, where would Thoresen fit? I doubt he'd want to come back and not even make the lineup.

Really, something has to happen in the off season for him to have a chance. Alternatively, if they don't re-sign Powe (which by all accounts they're very close to a deal ), and Carcillo goes down to the fourth line, Hartnell gets bumped, Leino moves up, Thor could go on the third line. I personally find that unlikely.
I'd like something like:

Gagne - Richards - Leino
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Thoresen
Carcillo - Betts - Laperriere
Powe

Old
04-24-2010, 03:30 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
But for the record, I totally would love to see Thor back.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
If Thoresen comes back I will buy a Thoresen jersey. I was a huge fan of him back when he was here. He almost lost a damn nut for this team! That's Lappy territory!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:34 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
You mean the one where he was an absolute puck-shark, hard-worker, but was the most unlucky finisher I've ever seen?

104 games, 46 goals, and 74 assists later for 120 points over the course of two years, one of which spent dominating the KHL, is not good enough for you?

Thor has offensive talent. Not 50-60 points, but I'll take 25-30 next to Giroux. It's better than Asham.

I'm assuming YOU missed his 1st stint here. Oh, and also every game he's played since.
Unlucky = horrible? I like Thor, who will ever forget the nutblock and subsequent return? But the guy is an awful finisher, plain and simple.

And you say you'll take 25-30 next to Giroux. Asham had 24 and added pugilism and physicality, so even you are admitting Thor isn't really an upgrade with your projected production.

Quote:
Some people are unbelievable.
I'm sorry, do you mind refuting my point?

You realize that in 08-09, the immortal Kevin Dallman was 5th in the KHL in points and that in 09-10, Mattias Weinhandl was 5th.

The KHL is a league where players who couldn't cut it in the NHL go and suddenly become elite scorers.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Terence Peterman

Thoreson's the type of player of which this team already has enough. We've been talking throughout the year how we're going to have to let some guys go this offseason simply because it makes more sense to bring along guys from the A.

Signing Thoreson again over keeping a guy like Asham, who I feel has been just tremendous this year, doesn't make any sense to me.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:40 PM
BillDineen

Speaking of immortal, Branko Radivojevic was 9th in scoring.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Terence Peterman

Yeah, using the KHL as support for saying a player is a good scorer in this context is like me saying my short game is good at a mini-golf course.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:46 PM
FlyerX

Quote:

Asham can make a shot and bang bodies better than Thoresen too and he's tough as hell.

Old
04-24-2010, 03:50 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Asham can make a shot and bang bodies better than Thoresen too and he's tough as hell.
I know he is, but I'd rather give someone faster to Giroux and JVR, someone who is tough along the boards, can work hard, and still finish a bit.

We know Powe has bricks of hands, and in a good year Asham can put up a few points.

Still...Thoresen fits what we need more than Asham or Powe.

Quote:
Unlucky = horrible? I like Thor, who will ever forget the nutblock and subsequent return? But the guy is an awful finisher, plain and simple.

And you say you'll take 25-30 next to Giroux. Asham had 24 and added pugilism and physicality, so even you are admitting Thor isn't really an upgrade with your projected production.
Thoresen getting 25-30 next to Giroux is probably a safe bet. Maybe up to 40 if he's having a good year and Giroux finally reaches PPG status? Asham had 24 in a GREAT year.

As for not much of an upgrade offensively...what is wrong with you people? Seriously? Do things only work one way?

It's proven that NHL dropouts go over and put up big points in the KHL. That's a half-truth. Looking for bigger contracts, foreign players who have talent enough to put up some points but won't ever make big money go to the KHL.

If you think Asham would put up Thoresen numbers overseas, you're beyond saving.

Thoresen is not a bad finisher. He's not elite, but he's not bad.

Quote:
I'm sorry, do you mind refuting my point?

You realize that in 08-09, the immortal Kevin Dallman was 5th in the KHL in points and that in 09-10, Mattias Weinhandl was 5th.

The KHL is a league where players who couldn't cut it in the NHL go and suddenly become elite scorers.
Just refuted it.

Last edited by CS: 04-24-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old
04-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Jester

Quote:
I know he is, but I'd rather give someone faster to Giroux and JVR, someone who is tough along the boards, can work hard, and still finish a bit.

We know Powe has bricks of hands, and in a good year Asham can put up a few points.

...Thoresen and Powe are essentially the same player, but Powe is a lot more physical. Both are hustle guys, that can give you some situational minutes with some offensive chops. Thor certainly has better hands than he showed his first time around, but nothing to write home about.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 03:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...Thoresen and Powe are essentially the same player, but Powe is a lot more physical. Both are hustle guys, that can give you some situational minutes with some offensive chops. Thor certainly has better hands than he showed his first time around, but nothing to write home about.
Calling the Devils the Capitals when they are completely different doesn't work right?

I smell hypocrisy every time you come out of the woodwork.

That said, Thor and Powe are similar. They both have speed, puck-sharking, a little bit of physicality, good board-work, and are decent defensively. However, Powe would never put up Thor-esque numbers overseas. Thoresen is a bigger offensive threat. Powe is built to be a banger and crasher though. He's stronger and more bottom heavy than Thor.

Also note: I've wanted Powe to play in Asham's spot all season.

Old
04-24-2010, 03:58 PM
FlyerX

Quote:

You're right about Powe, too bad his hands aren't half as good as his wheels. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur, I like the tough guys. Giroux and JVR also didn't get messed with much this year. Sometimes what guys bring doesn't show up on the scoresheet. Thoresen wouldn't help you any there at all.