HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC Hotstove - Guy Boucher

Old
04-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
I'm not surprised that some of these tight budgeted teams are looking for an inexperienced coach to save some dollars. For these teams, Boucher is a prime candidate to talk to at least.

I've been reading in here that the habs cannot get any compensation for losing Boucher, but I need a direct source for that because what is the point of signing a contract if teams can just pick him out for free?

I would estimate that an nhl coach survives for about 3 seasons, so if they can keep Guy happy for a couple more seasons, he should get a shot with the habs.

The habs hiring Pierre Gauthier full time really put a wrench in what I thought was the ultimate plan though which was to move Martin to the GM position and promote Boucher to be the coach. In any case, I really hope they have a long term plan with Guy, and that they have been in communication with him about it. This is our best bet at retaining his services.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm not surprised that some of these tight budgeted teams are looking for an inexperienced coach to save some dollars. For these teams, Boucher is a prime candidate to talk to at least.

I've been reading in here that the habs cannot get any compensation for losing Boucher, but I need a direct source for that because what is the point of signing a contract if teams can just pick him out for free?

I would estimate that an nhl coach survives for about 3 seasons, so if they can keep Guy happy for a couple more seasons, he should get a shot with the habs.

The habs hiring Pierre Gauthier full time really put a wrench in what I thought was the ultimate plan though which was to move Martin to the GM position and promote Boucher to be the coach. In any case, I really hope they have a long term plan with Guy, and that they have been in communication with him about it. This is our best bet at retaining his services.
wow jacques martin as gm...more comatose than gainey...
i'm going to vomit

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 10:41 PM
katatoniak

Maybe The Molson family will fire GM Pierre gauthier ... anyway ... he's not the guy they choose... I guess by doing that they will also fire Pierre Boivin and then the new GM get Boucher to coach and everyone's happy ?

Would be nice

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
this is good... he's popular amongst the media and fans, this puts pressure to fire JM
You have a valid point.

However - there is at least 1 problem.

Gauthier and Martin are old buddies - going back to their days in Ottowa - no doubt in my mind that Gainey hired Martin on Gauthier's advice - so now Gauthier will fire Martin?

Actually.........Gauthier, Martin & (I believe) Timmons all go back together in Ottowa -as far as I'm concerned all 3 can take the next train out of Montreal - together!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 11:07 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Omg if we lose Guy Boucher I'll cry literally post on youtube the tears at that thought....

FU TAMPA AND FU CBJ

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 11:07 PM
MoonlightGraham

Before we hired Martin everyone was complaining we were always hiring rookie coaches. Now after one season with our new experienced coach people want him out to replace him with a rookie coach. Habs fans are awesome.

I'm not taking a shot at Boucher at all by the way, I think he's great for the organization and would be sad to see him go to another team, I just love how ironic some of the posts in this thread are.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 11:08 PM
deandebean

We seem to follow trends in Montreal. One time, we were after Nordiques employees, now it's Hens employees. Why? Have we become so obsolete that we can't develop our own management team?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 11:12 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Listen F the sens and F the Nordiques are team needs to be about the Habs and if we lose Guy im done I cant deal following this team anymore itll make me tear. I promise to follow if were doing alright and say Im a Habs fan always but I wont watch games like this year. this management style is too frustrating and infuriating to deal with it.

edit: IMO subban and Boucher Are just as important to the future of this franchise as anyone else losing one is like losing a bottom block ina jenga tower

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 11:15 PM
TornACL

To Tampa Bay: Guy Boucher
To Montreal: Lecavalier

TornACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Boucher could've signed with any team last summer. He knows that if he ever wants a NHL job, the Habs will get him there someday, and for now, he seems intent on staying in the AHL for awhile.

I'm pretty sure the Habs know better than anybody what he's already worth for them, and for the future too.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 11:59 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 133
We lose Boucher and I go in to rage mode.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Carey Chant

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Boucher and Subban need to be called up before the end of the playoffs!!!
If it could only be done....can he bring up White as well?

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 12:14 AM
JackZap

i say habs give him a very nice raise to keep him in hamilton

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 12:17 AM
sammy d

Unfortunately I believe he will be gone, can almost gaurantee it. The NHL is a small world and we aren't the only ones who realize that he would make an excellent coach. Unless the Habs fire Muller and offer him an assistant coaching position it won't be long before someone offers him a head coaching gig.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 12:20 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
If the Habs beat Washington, will people change their tune about Martin?
No the Caps aren't impressive at all. We should be leading this series.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Habitant#1

Have we not learned our lesson with rookie coaches? Let the man get his feet wet for at least a season or two. Then, when he gets fired, and he will get fired, welcome him back home with open arms.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 12:58 AM
NewHabsEra*

I dont think people have to be worried, Boucher is a smart person and he knows he still has things to learn before graduating in the NHL, he is pretty young, has plenty of time in front of him to have a great carreer in the NHL.. I wouldnt be surprised to see him spend the next 2 years in the AHL, not because he wont have good offers from some NHL teams, just because its part of the process, he will have to face some adversity at some point.. Also spending 3 years coaching our farm will help him when he will graduate with the Habs, will have spent alot of times with the kids of our org., so its a win win situation for him and the kids who will graduate over the next 3 years.. The way he spoke to the medias since hired from the Habs let me to believe he is willing to spend some more years in the minors before making the big jump.. This years he learnt to know and work particulary with Subban, a top prospect of this org., next year could be Avtsin, Trunev, in 2 years from now Leblanc and Kristo..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Anyone already thought of the possibility of letting him go somewhere to get experience coaching in the bigs and learning to deal with the pressure coaches face at this level (media, investors/owners, fans, etc) while we have Martin, and then bringing him back when Martin leaves/gets fired? I mean, everyone likes to latch onto the "he's a rookie coach" and "he doesn't have enough experience" etc when it's perceived that a "rookie mistake" is made. Think it's too risky that he might not be available to come back by the time we actually need him?

I think it'd be nice to have an experienced coach get a fresh start with the organization, rather than giving all of our coaches baptism by fire, often setting them up to fail, letting them go to another franchise, and then see them win Jack Adams trophies...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 05:28 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Well according to Pierre Lebrun, Boucher is a candidate in Tampa for the new job, and Elliott Friedman is saying Boucher is the top candidate in Columbus.

Montreal may need to make a move fast to get Guy in Montreal, before we see him elsewhere.
Code of ethics in hockey can't stand in way of guy's advancement. Habs need to make a decision this off season, either him or Martin. Boucher has a chance to head coach in NHL next year....we can't stand in way.

However, I would ask for compensation?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 05:29 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
We seem to follow trends in Montreal. One time, we were after Nordiques employees, now it's Hens employees. Why? Have we become so obsolete that we can't develop our own management team?
I feel exactly the same, why are we going after other teams management model, it should really be the opposite like before (Jacques Lemaire as an example, well most of Devils Staff, they took the old Habs model).

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Anyone already thought of the possibility of letting him go somewhere to get experience coaching in the bigs and learning to deal with the pressure coaches face at this level (media, investors/owners, fans, etc) while we have Martin, and then bringing him back when Martin leaves/gets fired? I mean, everyone likes to latch onto the "he's a rookie coach" and "he doesn't have enough experience" etc when it's perceived that a "rookie mistake" is made. Think it's too risky that he might not be available to come back by the time we actually need him?

I think it'd be nice to have an experienced coach get a fresh start with the organization, rather than giving all of our coaches baptism by fire, often setting them up to fail, letting them go to another franchise, and then see them win Jack Adams trophies...
Agreed. I wouldn't mind if Boucher got experience somewhere else before he become Habs head coach. Look at guys like Vigneault, Therrien, etc...they were shaky in Montreal but a few years later they got better with experience. Montreal is not the best place to break a rookie coach for a variety of reasons.

The best result has been with Scotty Bowman who got to shine somewhere else before he become Habs coach. It's when he lead the upstart St Louis Blues to the Stanley Cup final wich showed the Habs brass he had enough in him to lead the Habs. So they brought him in.

Although I would be afraid if we could lose Boucher forever. I'm not sure it's a chance i'm willing to take.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 05:34 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
I feel exactly the same, why are we going after other teams management model, it should really be the opposite like before (Jacques Lemaire as an example, well most of Devils Staff, they took the old Habs model).
I for one feel that the Habs organisation lost its way. The Habs model wich Lamoriello based the Devils on doesn't exist anymore. The Montreal Canadiens are now lost and have sort of become the Paris Hilton of the NHL. That is why I would hire Lemaire as GM so that he bring what he learn in New Jersey to us. Lou took things from us, might as well get it back.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Darth Joker

Boucher would be perfect for either Columbus or Tampa.

Both of those teams have key young guys in their team core; guys not "set in their ways", and who could respond very well to Boucher's coaching philosophy.

I hate to say it guys, but I think that there's a good chance that Boucher is in Tampa or Columbus next year. Of the two, I hope it's Columbus; at least then he'll be helping out a western conference team

And, like it or not, Martin has secured his position for at least one more year. No matter what happens from Monday on, the Habs have at least improved slightly over last year, and that means Martin stays.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 05:57 AM
CGG

Tampa and Columbus want him because he's cheap. Yet he's the highest paid coach in the AHL. Montreal can pay him more to coach in the AHL than Columbus can afford to pay him in the NHL. Might as well take advantage of our money, there's no salary cap on coaches.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Pascal

what's with the panic here regarding Boucher? Do you guys even know much about him except that he was coach of the year in the AHL?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote