HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobby Ryan turns down offer from ANA

Old
04-25-2010, 10:49 AM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedcanuck View Post
However, they could go the Toronto route and do a sign and trade via the threat of an offer sheet.

Burke retained his 3rd as the deal was 2 firsts and a 2nd.
An offer sheet isn't much of a threat if you don't have the picks to actually follow through with it.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 11:47 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
I would trade JVR or Giroux in a heartbeat for a SIGNED Bobby Ryan.
JVR yes, Giroux no.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 11:55 AM
fire bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
if theres one player i would screw up the salary cap and ride without a goaltender its bobby ryan. he just gets my fanboy screaming in my head. its an impossible dream but i like the idea
I agree with this... if there was a way to get him in a Flyers jersey I would do it and I would risk ****ing up the cap space completely to do it. Plus you could roll with Leighton/Boosh with a team like that in front of them... hell, you could probably go with Backlund/Duchesne and be fine.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 12:02 PM
McNasty

It's a pipe dream, if they were going to trade jvr or giroux why would have pulled the trigger on Kovalchuk IMO. If your Anaheim why would you trade Bobby Ryan (likely in the 4-5M range), for Hartnell making 4.2 for the next 3 years

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 12:18 PM
fire bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
It's a pipe dream, if they were going to trade jvr or giroux why would have pulled the trigger on Kovalchuk IMO. If your Anaheim why would you trade Bobby Ryan (likely in the 4-5M range), for Hartnell making 4.2 for the next 3 years
Trading JVR or Giroux for Kovalchump would have never happened. You would be trading away the future of your team for a playoff rental because who knows where he'll want to be next year. And look how that worked out for the Debs. And look at how Giroux worked out for us.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 03:12 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
Trading JVR or Giroux for Kovalchump would have never happened. You would be trading away the future of your team for a playoff rental because who knows where he'll want to be next year. And look how that worked out for the Debs. And look at how Giroux worked out for us.
I agree it never would have happened. I don't they can afford to trade their cheap cap hits regardless of the return.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Where are you getting the extra 4+ million dollars to fit him in?
Well, it is obvious it would not be JVR or Giroux straight up. I don't care where the money comes from.. Hartnell, Briere, Gagne, just get him over here.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:25 AM
BeCar9

Quote:
I would trade JVR or Giroux in a heartbeat for a SIGNED Bobby Ryan.
Slow your roll sir.

BeCar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Foreverinour

our cap hit next year is estimated to be 48.6. leaving 8mil to sign/call up 2 goalies, 2-3 5th-6th line defensemen, 2-3 3rd 4th line fwds

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:59 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Hartnell, Coburn and a pick for Ryan?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeCar9 View Post
Slow your roll sir.
Why? Bobby Ryan is a force already in his second season (1 1/2 technically). He has 40-50 goal potential and plays with heart. If we could do a sign and trade and it took Giroux+, so be it. There is no guarantee we can resign Giroux anyway and quite frankly, and I am disappointed in Giroux's regular season stats. He sure does turn it on in the playoffs though, I won't lie about that, but the same could be said for Ryan potentially (just look at his Olympic games).

JVR should flourish with more playing time and it would be harder to part with him but they wanted him and we could dump one of either Briere, Hartnell or Coburn... sign. me. up.

Old
04-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Why? Bobby Ryan is a force already in his second season (1 1/2 technically). He has 40-50 goal potential and plays with heart. If we could do a sign and trade and it took Giroux+, so be it. There is no guarantee we can resign Giroux anyway and quite frankly, and I am disappointed in Giroux's regular season stats. He sure does turn it on in the playoffs though, I won't lie about that, but the same could be said for Ryan potentially (just look at his Olympic games).

JVR should flourish with more playing time and it would be harder to part with him but they wanted him and we could dump one of either Briere, Hartnell or Coburn... sign. me. up.
It depends on what the + is with Giroux, but I have a hard time giving up something else with Giroux. Ryan is better now, but in the long term I think giving up Giroux+ would lean in Anaheim's favor.

I like Ryan and would like to see him in the O&B, but I am not sure it makes sense to trade either JVR or Giroux for him. He's certainly better now but he will also be much more expensive. IMO JVR and Giroux will be first liners so cap wise it might make sense to keep them and let them develop at a much cheaper rate instead of trading them for a more expensive forward. If I were to trade one of them I'd rather fill a need (goaltending) than yet another forward.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
It depends on what the + is with Giroux, but I have a hard time giving up something else with Giroux. Ryan is better now, but in the long term I think giving up Giroux+ would lean in Anaheim's favor.

I like Ryan and would like to see him in the O&B, but I am not sure it makes sense to trade either JVR or Giroux for him. He's certainly better now but he will also be much more expensive. IMO JVR and Giroux will be first liners so cap wise it might make sense to keep them and let them develop at a much cheaper rate instead of trading them for a more expensive forward. If I were to trade one of them I'd rather fill a need (goaltending) than yet another forward.
JVR, Giroux, Coburn for Hiller and Ryan

Old
04-26-2010, 01:36 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Hartnell, Coburn and a pick for Ryan?
Anaheim would never do that.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:41 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Because Bobby wants to play in the Atlantic and not on a rebuilding squad?

Personally, if I was Bobby, I would likely be looking to playing for the Flyers at some point in my career. He has deep ties to the team.

I also think JVR might look to play for the Rangers at some point also, but he only liked the Rangers, he didn't train with Bobby Clarke like Ryan did.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:03 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
I agree with this... if there was a way to get him in a Flyers jersey I would do it and I would risk ****ing up the cap space completely to do it. Plus you could roll with Leighton/Boosh with a team like that in front of them... hell, you could probably go with Backlund/Duchesne and be fine.
im half expecting them to go with boosh and bobo regardless. solid backup and a developing future starter. if you can get comfortable with that then coburn is the only salary wed have to move. coburn and 2011 1st is about as far as we could bend them over if he straight came out and said 'ill never wear a hockey jersey again unless its orange and black and says stephenson on the back of it"

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
JVR, Giroux, Coburn for Hiller and Ryan
I can't handle Giroux and JVR being dealt at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Because Bobby wants to play in the Atlantic and not on a rebuilding squad?

Personally, if I was Bobby, I would likely be looking to playing for the Flyers at some point in my career. He has deep ties to the team.

I also think JVR might look to play for the Rangers at some point also, but he only liked the Rangers, he didn't train with Bobby Clarke like Ryan did.
Ryan may have interest because of his personal ties to Bobby Clarke, but this is a business and most players aren't driven by boyhood fandom. I don't see why JVR would look to play for them just because he cheered for them growing up. If he likes it here, the Flyers offer him a fair deal, and they are a successful team he will likely re-sign here.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote