HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stress Fracture in my hand?

Old
04-25-2010, 06:51 PM
jaPhx

vCash: 500
Stress Fracture in my hand?

Has anyone had a stress fracture in your hand? I'm just getting back into hockey from a 12 year absence and was taking a ton of wrist shots a few days ago. Since then, the top of my hand in 1 spot absolutely kills....an area where there seems to be no muscle, just skin on top of bone. It affects my whole hand when it comes to taking shots or even holding the stick with the 1 hand.

I will be seeing a doctor in a few days if it doesn't get better....but my question is this:

Has anyone had this happen?

jaPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Hockeyfan68

You have large very ridgid tendons on the back of the hand which seem like bones but are not. You just have an inflamed tendon, I used to have a terrible time with this which required physical therapy to strengthen it as well as a wrist brace for a few weeks.

I had problems with the wrist as well as the tendons on the back of the hand which ride along where the bones are underneath them. Frustrating to heal and still play and the only thing that let it heal was to not play.

here is a wax model cast from a real cadaver.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 08:38 PM
jaPhx

Ah, thanks for the responce. I hope it's that. Sounds like I pretty much have to tough it out a few times to strengthen the tendons.

jaPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaPhx View Post
Ah, thanks for the responce. I hope it's that. Sounds like I pretty much have to tough it out a few times to strengthen the tendons.
Ice it a few times a day and rest it. if the pain does not wain from not using it for hockey then i would worry about a fracture in a bone under there somewhere.

Basically though toughing it up playing hockey is not the way to do it. You need to rest it so it does not stay inflamed. It would take about a week or so for me not playing and icing it before it felt normal again. After it is not inflamed THEN play to strengthen it without overoding it because you were shooting a bazillion shots in an hour.

I do know if it persists and rest does not eleviate the pain after a few days then it is probably a bone fracture. Many times even an x-ray won't show a small hairline fracture and an MRI would but that is expensive.

Either one will heal anyway with time and not using it is my point here.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Steelhead16

If it's a tendon issue then resting it will tell you that. Do as HF68 mentioned and ice and rest for at least a week. I fell on mine 8 months ago on the first shift when the ice was still clean. I landed knuckles first and rolled my top hand wrist. I thought it was a sprain and I iced it and rested for a couple of weeks. Didn't feel better, it actually felt worse. Broke a bone in my wrist and one one the back of my hand above my pinkie. Like HF68 said, a fracture may not show up on an x-ray. Go with the rest and ice and if that doesn't help then go get it looked at. Unless you have great insurance, then go get a picture of it. Chances are if it's from overuse it's tendon related. A doc will tell you to rest and write a check.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote