HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa NOT Suspended!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2010, 04:50 PM
  #1
canadianpredsfan97
Registered User
 
canadianpredsfan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancovuer
Country: Canada
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Hossa NOT Suspended!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=319424

I'm going to steam on this before I comment. But the rest fire away.

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 05:16 PM
  #2
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianpredsfan97 View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=319424

I'm going to steam on this before I comment. But the rest fire away.
shocking ... same exact hit as Ovechkin on Campbell, but because Hossa doesn't have a history, no suspension

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 05:18 PM
  #3
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Brutal.
I think I will go have a beer now.... or ten.


lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 05:26 PM
  #4
canadianpredsfan97
Registered User
 
canadianpredsfan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancovuer
Country: Canada
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
I think it's right if a Preds fan makes a spoof of the History Will Be Made ads with Hossa's win in OT. What if Hossa had received a game misconduct?

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
  #5
Dfence033
Registered User
 
Dfence033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
shocking ... same exact hit as Ovechkin on Campbell, but because Hossa doesn't have a history, no suspension
Careful... You might upset the Hawks fans with blinders on who still claim there is a huge difference between the two, failing to realize that the difference between the two is that a Hawk got hit by Ovechkin, and a Hawk did the hitting on Hammer... So far we have Kopecky on Klein and Hossa on Hammer for blantant boarding penalties the league overlooked. Speculations on which of the Hawks boards another Predator in Game 6 and gets away with it? Trends suggest it's going to be Kane/Towes on Suter/Weber.

But, hey, it's okay. It's not like the Predators mean anything to the NHL brass anyway. Superstars on supposed Cup favorites hitting players on lesser-known teams is okay (unless you are Ovechkin, in which case, every time you step on the ice you are accused of being a dirty player). How, exactly, does the NHL justify this? Ovechkin hits Campbell in the same manner, gets 2 games, has Hawk-nation clamouring for a season-long suspension, Hossa does it and Hawk-nation claims it's Hammer's responsiblity for knowing he is about to get run from behind into the boards with his back turned, no ban. The NHL can't possibly claim that "previous history" determines whether something is a suspension or not, as that leaves too much leway to just continue punishing players they dislike and letting others slide (can't be a previous offender if you get away with stuff like this), nor can they reasonably claim that a suspension is only warranted if a player is seriously injured on the play, i.e., "Hey, Player A was unlucky and had his neck broken by Player B, SUSPENSION! ... But wait, Player C was hit in the same manner by Player D... but C wasn't injured... Not suspendable. Yes, this makes hockey a loveable sport, and not the laughing stock we continue to make it."


Last edited by Dfence033: 04-25-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 05:55 PM
  #6
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
The part of Campbell's statement that irks me beyond belief is that he mentions that there doesn't appear to be any serious injury to Hamhuis...

There is no way you hit the boards at that speed in such a violent manner with your shoulder and walk away unharmed. Hamhuis stayed down for a reason. He was injured. He didn't play for the remainder of the game and I'd bet you more than anything he has a separated shoulder and will not play for the rest of this series at a minimum.

I have no inside info here, but in my opinion there is no way Hamhuis wasn't injured on the play and think it's sickening when I read people write that Hamhuis did a good acting job on the play...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 06:24 PM
  #7
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The part of Campbell's statement that irks me beyond belief is that he mentions that there doesn't appear to be any serious injury to Hamhuis...

There is no way you hit the boards at that speed in such a violent manner with your shoulder and walk away unharmed. Hamhuis stayed down for a reason. He was injured. He didn't play for the remainder of the game and I'd bet you more than anything he has a separated shoulder and will not play for the rest of this series at a minimum.

I have no inside info here, but in my opinion there is no way Hamhuis wasn't injured on the play and think it's sickening when I read people write that Hamhuis did a good acting job on the play...
It's sad we have a coach with no b*lls. If the league isn't going to watch out for the safety of our players, especially after the big deal about shots to the head and boarding plays, then we need to out there and start giving it back to them. Every time a Hawk touches the puck tomorrow, he pays for it. Every check is finished. If they beat us, fine but they're gonna be hurting going into their next series. If not, they go into game 7 with us banged up.

I know it was late in the game what happened to Hamhuis but the fact that no one jumped all over is Hossa is another thing that ticked me off about yesterday. No one did anything when Klein got leveled by Kopecky either. If we don't take care of our own, why should the NHL do anything about it then either? If our coach won't come out and say, it was the same hit, he needs to be suspended, then nothing gets done. If I'm the coach yesterday of this team, I would've exploded in the press conference. A guy that should've been thrown out of the game scores the winning goal and you want to know how I feel? I would've said the refs didn't do their job and there better be a suspension for the hit. Instead, Trotz takes the high road and we get what we get. Awesome.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 06:30 PM
  #8
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,301
vCash: 500
I think Hossa definitely could have got 1 game for that play. I do like the rational that was provided for no suspension.

- Different type of play then past events
- Both players attempting to make a play on the puck
- No previous history for Hossa
- No apparent injury although I do not like this example

All in all if I were a Preds fan, I would be pissed that the Preds could not protect the lead with a man advantage with less than one minute to go. Subsequently, could not take advantage of yet another PP (4 minutes) opportunity in OT. This is the game.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 06:32 PM
  #9
canadianpredsfan97
Registered User
 
canadianpredsfan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancovuer
Country: Canada
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
I saw this picture on another thread under the Stanley Cup Playoffs and wanted to post it. Give a good laugh to my fellow Preds fans who I know are ticked right now.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 4093950458_03e4645497_o.gif‎ (97.3 KB, 47 views)

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 06:58 PM
  #10
Captain Iago
 
Captain Iago's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The part of Campbell's statement that irks me beyond belief is that he mentions that there doesn't appear to be any serious injury to Hamhuis...

There is no way you hit the boards at that speed in such a violent manner with your shoulder and walk away unharmed. Hamhuis stayed down for a reason. He was injured. He didn't play for the remainder of the game and I'd bet you more than anything he has a separated shoulder and will not play for the rest of this series at a minimum.

I have no inside info here, but in my opinion there is no way Hamhuis wasn't injured on the play and think it's sickening when I read people write that Hamhuis did a good acting job on the play...
Take a little solace that Hossa didn't get suspended for two reasons.

One, it (probably) means that Hamhuis is not seriously injured. Separated shoulders happen so much more infrequently nowadays. Did ya think that the reason why he didn't play in OT was because the Preds were on a 4-minute PP and Hamhuis has accumulated a whopping (approx.) 2 minutes ttoi on the PP for the entire series?

Two, the Preds don't have to wait until next year to exact revenge. Edit: Also considering there is a possibility he will not be a Pred next year, no?

Captain Iago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:00 PM
  #11
Milly79
Registered User
 
Milly79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbia, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
All in all if I were a Preds fan, I would be pissed that the Preds could not protect the lead with a man advantage with less than one minute to go. Subsequently, could not take advantage of yet another PP (4 minutes) opportunity in OT. This is the game.
Too bad that wasn't even brought up in this thread, but continue to be a homer.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:02 PM
  #12
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
I'm livid. If hamhuis did that to Hossa he would have been suspended.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:11 PM
  #13
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm
 
JohniusMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Middle TN
Country: United States
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianpredsfan97 View Post
I saw this picture on another thread under the Stanley Cup Playoffs and wanted to post it. Give a good laugh to my fellow Preds fans who I know are ticked right now.
The "Dammit, Pronger!" part got me.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:18 PM
  #14
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
Too bad that wasn't even brought up in this thread, but continue to be a homer.
I'm just saying. The Preds need to focus there and move past the controversy. What is done is done. I was not trying to be an idiot.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:25 PM
  #15
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Now, I've seen all the rule quoting and comparisons to other hits that were suspensions, and so it seems it could be.

But I don't think it warranted a suspension. I just don't. Regardless of whether Hammer was hurt or not. Hossa shoved him. Deserved a major, and it was called.

But I don't think it was as hard and deliberate so as to deserve a suspension. It wasn't "a light tap and Hamhuis blew a tire" though as some claim. Those claims piss me off. It was a moderately hard shove to try to prevent him from getting the puck. I just think they were just far enough from the boards, and under the crucial moment of needing that puck and having a chance to get it with a shove it didn't need to be a suspension. But I understand those who say that since they are supposedly cracking down on those plays, they are being wildly inconsistent.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:41 PM
  #16
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardKingsFan View Post
Hossa barely touched Hamhuis, he embellished and should have been called for diving
I'm sure he was thinking, " I'm going down head first and almost kill myself to draw this penalty.."

That's retarded.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:44 PM
  #17
Street Hawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,596
vCash: 500
Hnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
shocking ... same exact hit as Ovechkin on Campbell, but because Hossa doesn't have a history, no suspension
Healy mentioned an interesting point. How could the league suspend Hossa after he got the GWG? That would have meant that they would have to admit that the Referees screwed up by not tossing him out of the game.

I would have to concur with that point. Would have made the league look bad.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:51 PM
  #18
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Healy mentioned an interesting point. How could the league suspend Hossa after he got the GWG? That would have meant that they would have to admit that the Referees screwed up by not tossing him out of the game.

I would have to concur with that point. Would have made the league look bad.
Interesting point.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:54 PM
  #19
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,141
vCash: 500
Bob McKenzie said that he felt(and others agreed) that the call should have been hitting from behind...not boarding, given the distance from the boards and the nature of the hit. That WOULD have been an automatic game misconduct, and possibly a suspension...or at least a better chance at one.

That said, I would have been shocked if there was one, for the reasons detailed in this thread. If the team dwells on it like we are, we're sunk. This is still a series. Look at what the Coyotes did today. One win, and it's back to winner take all. I might not agree with how things shook out with Hossa, but he hasn't been a big enough factor in the series for me to have felt great with him being suspended, anyway. And like I said in the other thread...Hossa isn't the reason we lost that game. Come out hitting and firing tomorrow, take care of business at home, and win the series. Let THAT be all the revenge you need on Hossa.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:54 PM
  #20
Steelhead16
Registered User
 
Steelhead16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Now, I've seen all the rule quoting and comparisons to other hits that were suspensions, and so it seems it could be.

But I don't think it warranted a suspension. I just don't. Regardless of whether Hammer was hurt or not. Hossa shoved him. Deserved a major, and it was called.

But I don't think it was as hard and deliberate so as to deserve a suspension. It wasn't "a light tap and Hamhuis blew a tire" though as some claim. Those claims piss me off. It was a moderately hard shove to try to prevent him from getting the puck. I just think they were just far enough from the boards, and under the crucial moment of needing that puck and having a chance to get it with a shove it didn't need to be a suspension. But I understand those who say that since they are supposedly cracking down on those plays, they are being wildly inconsistent.
Damn.....I thought I was gonna be alone on my thought but you nailed my thought exactly on this.
It looked a lot worse from the camera behind the play. When I saw the play from the camera in the corner Hossa's arm was completely extended when it made contact with Hamhuis. He didn't shove him he pushed him and not that hard at that. Hossa (and the refs) put Nashville in HUGE position to be able to win the game. If the Preds won that game this wouldn't even be an issue today. Preds made a huge mistake by putting a power play unit on the ice that is horrible at best instead of playing defenseive forwards and keeping the puck out of their own net. Not Hossa's or the referee's or the league's fault.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 07:55 PM
  #21
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,536
vCash: 500
Am I the only Pred fan that thinks no suspension was necessary?

Going by what the rules say, and the league's history of suspensions, I am not surprised at all that he did not get suspended.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 08:03 PM
  #22
Ben Eager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
I may be called a homer or having blinders but there are 2 major differences between the Ovechkin and Hossa hits.

1. Brian Campbell didn't have the puck.

2. Campbell's head was down and he was leaning foward. Hamhuis was straight up.

Deserved the 5 minutes and possibly a 1 game suspension, but there was a little more to the Oveckin hit. In the regular season I'm sure he's suspended.

Ben Eager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 08:16 PM
  #23
Bad Karma
Registered User
 
Bad Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Am I the only Pred fan that thinks no suspension was necessary?

Going by what the rules say, and the league's history of suspensions, I am not surprised at all that he did not get suspended.
No. I stated it last night on NP boards.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 09:01 PM
  #24
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,265
vCash: 500
Some times you have to police yourself, that's what I'm hoping for, and I hope it's to one of their top players. Not intential, of course just like the 2 hits from behind were not intentional...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 09:09 PM
  #25
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Eager View Post
I may be called a homer or having blinders but there are 2 major differences between the Ovechkin and Hossa hits.

1. Brian Campbell didn't have the puck.

2. Campbell's head was down and he was leaning foward. Hamhuis was straight up.

Deserved the 5 minutes and possibly a 1 game suspension, but there was a little more to the Oveckin hit. In the regular season I'm sure he's suspended.
Not trying to call you a homer at all but they showed the Ovie and Hossa hits on a split screen today on NBC and it was frightening how close the hits looked. Almost identical. Not trying to be a Preds homer at all here either but if you saw what I saw, it was unreal how similar they looked. Milbury and Maguirre even agreed that they were the same hit and they never agree on anything.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.