HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds @ Hawks 4/24 2 PM CST - "The Fail Boat" Edition

Old
04-25-2010, 08:57 PM
AEM6729

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The positives so far this series ..... we can score at even strength, Legwand has remembered that he can do more than forecheck in that far end of the ice. Erat with 4 goals in 5 games.

The negatives ...... the powerplay is non-existent, defensive lapses, repeatedly leaving Hawks unattended just off of Pekka' right for tap ins. No points for the captain.

For the Preds to pull this miracle off we need Pekka to stand on his head and the boys to tighten up in their own end while keeping the pressure on in the offensive zone (see odd # games). It's a tall order.

In reality, how many of us dared to imagine the Preds would have ever been in position to take the series lead with less than a minute to go while on the road in game 5? Bueller? Bueller?
Sorry for the back-to-back posts, my multi button didn't work. Anyway, the fact that we had no business winning this game, yet were inexplicably in the position to win, and lost anyway...is precisely what makes it such a slap in the face. We were about to steal a game right out from under them, at home!...it would've been a stab in the heart for them. We were 20 seconds away! I'd rather get my ass kicked and lose by 4 goals than go through what happened yesterday.

I'm with the people who say that it doesn't matter whether we believed we would be in the position...what matters is that we WERE in the position. Nobody cares how you got there.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 08:58 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
If they don't make any of the earlier mistakes, it isn't a situation where one more defensive lapse sends the game to OT.

But this will be the time we don't have a lapse in our own end, won't it Santa Easter Fairy? Those earlier times aren't indicative of anything, right? And there is no way they'll run a mirror image of the play that tied it to win the game.

Ignore the indicators, then be shocked when something goes wrong. Hmmmmm ... I've seen that technique somewhere else.
Keep twisting any way you want. Bad play, turnovers, loss of faceoffs, etc. One goal lead, 1 min left on the clock and a man up should equal win no matter what the first 59 minutes were like. We have lost games that we outplayed the opponent this year as well as winning games we were outplayed in. The only thing that matters is the final score.

There are lots of woulda coulda shoulda possibilities but this was our game to win with a minute to play. Throw in the fact of not being able to convert on the PP at all this game and the outcome is different as well. We had the opportunities to close this game out with either holding the lead or putting the puck in the back of the net with a 4 minute advantage in OT and we did neither. Unacceptable.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 09:07 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Keep twisting any way you want. Bad play, turnovers, loss of faceoffs, etc. One goal lead, 1 min left on the clock and a man up should equal win no matter what the first 59 minutes were like. We have lost games that we outplayed the opponent this year as well as winning games we were outplayed in. The only thing that matters is the final score.

There are lots of woulda coulda shoulda possibilities but this was our game to win with a minute to play. Throw in the fact of not being able to convert on the PP at all this game and the outcome is different as well. We had the opportunities to close this game out with either holding the lead or putting the puck in the back of the net with a 4 minute advantage in OT and we did neither. Unacceptable.
In the final minute of play, with a one goal lead the team DID THE EXACT SAME THINGS THAT IT DID FOR MOST OF THE GAME and ended up losing because of it. A blind pass to a spot where only the Hawks could get it? Check, one of many. A defensive lapse leaving a Hawk all alone with an empty net to shoot at? Check, another trend this series. (with a memorex copy in OT on Hossa's winner).

The ****** up in the final minute was simply one of many ... but let's all pretend that all of the indicators earlier didn't mean squat and that the mistake at the end was the anomaly yesterday. It is a lot easier to criticize one mistake than to accept that it was part of a trend.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 09:15 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
In the final minute of play, with a one goal lead the team DID THE EXACT SAME THINGS THAT IT DID FOR MOST OF THE GAME and ended up losing because of it. A blind pass to a spot where only the Hawks could get it? Check, one of many. A defensive lapse leaving a Hawk all alone with an empty net to shoot at? Check, another trend this series. (with a memorex copy in OT on Hossa's winner).

The ****** up in the final minute was simply one of many ... but let's all pretend that all of the indicators earlier didn't mean squat and that the mistake at the end was the anomaly yesterday. It is a lot easier to criticize one mistake than to accept that it was part of a trend.
I would love to comment more on the last half of the game but WSMV royally screwed me on being able to watch on a screen bigger than my hand. I had to watch split screen or not at all so my ability to see all the mistakes and a bunch of goals were limited because of the weather. What I did see was the score and the way we were playing up until the interruptions. Didn't think we were playing that poorly at all.

So let me ask you this, if we play this amazing defensive system, did the players all of a sudden forget their responsibilities? If so, why did the staff not address the situation? If they knew that we had the defensive lapses, why play the PP units we're accustomed to with guys that aren't as defensively responsible?

I get what you're saying but if all this was going on until that point and we had the lead, why did we not try to protect the lead with better defensive players on the ice? Granted, this becomes a bit of a risk as well but would you rather lose the game with your best defensive players on the ice trying to protect the lead or with your PP unit that can't hit the back of the net? Not sure of the answer here to be honest because neither seems like a great option but I think it's a valid question.

Old
04-25-2010, 09:15 PM
AEM6729

Quote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the team played well yesterday; of course Erat's mistake was part of a trend. But it was the one that put the game-tying goal in the back of our net with 20 seconds left. Despite all the mistakes that happened leading up to that point, with 20 seconds left we were up by a goal. Probably never gonna get a gift like that again, and we pissed it away. I just can't rationalize it away and convince myself it doesn't suck.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 10:01 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Glen,
If I could figure out why those particular players were on the ice then I'd be coaching in the NHL and not playing in a big sandbox every other year. Ward would normally make sense, but he was out there before the penalty and ended up pulling a 1:26 shift. Erat was having a good period and is capable of playing two way hockey. Arnott? Ineffective at the dot, incapable of playing D if the Hawks get into the zone, yet he's still out there. Leggy and Smithson had both just come off the ice at/immediately before the penalty.

Normally the Suter/Weber pairing would be a good choice, but, yesterday wasn't their game.

Following the Erat pass to nobody .... the entire team fails to account for Kane off to Pekka's right. The saddest part is that it was almost an identical preview of the Hossa goal in OT. It was almost like the Preds started playing 5 yr old soccer herd ball and all shifted to Pekka's left when the Hawks had the puck along the boards.

Personally I would have preferred Goc at center since Leggy and Smithson were resting on the bench .... an all around better option than Arnott. The other options would have meant trusting that situation to Spaling or Boyd if we wanted a more defensively minded forward.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 10:08 PM
glenngineer

101, thanks for letting me work thru this today. I needed to vent and this helped. I'm ready to go tomorrow night. I haven't given up on them at all, just frustrated as all get out but I think it's all gone now, thanks to you and a few others around here. I'm starting to laugh with some of my posts which is a good thing. Hope the guys can do the same thing and forget about yesterday and take care of business tomorrow night.