HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Maroon practicing w/ Richards Line; Leighton practicing (as per Twitter)

Old
04-26-2010, 10:37 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Maroon practicing w/ Richards Line; Leighton practicing (as per Twitter)

From BroadStBull Twitter

Quote:
Boosh, Leighton and Backlund are the goalies at #Flyers' practice.
Quote:
Patrick Maroon is working on a line with Richards and Carcillo. Laliberte was there in Game 5 vs. NJ. #Flyers
Both sound pretty good to me.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
From BroadStBull Twitter

Both sound pretty good to me.
Don't mind Maroon, I'm happy he's getting some exposure now.

Am I insane if I actually want to stick with Boucher over Leighton? As long as Bouch is playing the way he has recently, I'd rather not risk putting in a raw goalie.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:58 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post

Am I insane if I actually want to stick with Boucher over Leighton? As long as Bouch is playing the way he has recently, I'd rather not risk putting in a raw goalie.
Absolutely. There is NO way you stop playing Bouch. The only way Bouch doesn't play is if he gets blown out 3 games in a row, we are facing elimination and utterly desparate.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:58 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post

You always ride the hot hand. If Boosh falters against the Caps/Habs, then you can try Leights.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Centauris*

It'd be nice to see Maroon get a shot. Laliberte was kinda meh

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

I wasn't suggesting starting Leighton over Boosh. Just rather have him as a backup in the event something goes wrong.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Jester

Ah, I'm curious to see Maroon play for this club at some point... but I have zero interest in him going through first game NHL jitters and first NHL playoff game jitters in the same game...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:07 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ah, I'm curious to see Maroon play for this club at some point... but I have zero interest in him going through first game NHL jitters and first NHL playoff game jitters in the same game...
Can't be much worse than Laliberte. Not that he played poorly, I just don't remember ever hearing his name called. They will probably do the same thing they did in game five and just rotate people on the Richards line. Whoever plays (Maroon, Laliberte, Nodl, etc) will probably get minimal ice time.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Can't be much worse than Laliberte. Not that he played poorly, I just don't remember ever hearing his name called. They will probably do the same thing they did in game five and just rotate people on the Richards line. Whoever plays (Maroon, Laliberte, Nodl, etc) will probably get minimal ice time.
Well, I have zero interest in Nodl, as I've seen him attempt to play D at the NHL level. Maroon... from what I've seen in the AHL, I'm not convinced he can keep up in the NHL skating-wise.

It's unclear to me why we're bringing in AHL guys to the lineup to fill in spots on Richards' line, when you have a guy like Kalinski that you can plug in as an energy/checker effectively.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:21 AM
JSTAFF

I would play Kalinski over Maroon, Nodl, Laliberte. Maroon's skating against the Caps = oh boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:37 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Just play the best 2 way player. Laliberte wasn't horrible, but that could be a byproduct of Richards great back checking.

If Maroon's skating is that bad, then I can seem him taking dumb penalties because he is getting consistently burnt.

To bad Pyro is also injured. He would have been the perfect Gagne replacement.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:40 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Would prefer to see Kalinski in there someplace over Laliberte. He is reliable, and that is all we need from these call ups.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:49 AM
RoDu

There's no guarantee that Maroon will be on the ice for game one against whomever we play

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:50 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Don't stop playing Boosh until something goes wrong and maybe Maroon is 100% now?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:51 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Just play the best 2 way player. Laliberte wasn't horrible, but that could be a byproduct of Richards great back checking.

If Maroon's skating is that bad, then I can seem him taking dumb penalties because he is getting consistently burnt.

To bad Pyro is also injured. He would have been the perfect Gagne replacement.
-Laliberte was always a second behind the play. As I said in another thread, Laliberte tries to mold his game after Gagne so putting him in a situation with Richards had a chance of paying off in the sense that it might not hurt them much chemistry wise. Unfortunately for Laliberte, Gagne's skating and speed is what makes him such an effective player. Laliberte, a second behind everything, is still not Gagne not matter how much you want him to be.

-Maroon's game doesn't rely on speed, but his skating is not as bad as people making it out to be. Granted, it's not great by a long stretch. It's not worse than Laliberte though. If he stands in front of the net we might get an opportunity to see his incredible hands in action. Richards was carrying the load defensively for that line anyway. I'd rather have a player that can help us somewhat rather than Laliberte lagging behind.

(Please note: Everyone here right now is probably imagining the difference in Laliberte/Maroon's skating vs. Knuble's skating as a turtle vs. a rabbit. Please don't do that.)

-Yeah, I wish Pyro wasn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Don't stop playing Boosh until something goes wrong and maybe Maroon is 100% now?
Maroon started off the AHL season slow because of his offseason injury problems. He never got into rhythm. Then he got absolutely bashed at some point during the season. He got a nice rest and came back on fire. He's been much better during that stretch through the end of the year.

Then he had a falling out with the coaching staff.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:56 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Maroon started off the AHL season slow because of his offseason injury problems. He never got into rhythm. Then he got absolutely bashed at some point during the season. He got a nice rest and came back on fire. He's been much better during that stretch through the end of the year.

You mean when he got cheep shotted? An elbow I think it was?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:58 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
You mean when he got cheep shotted? An elbow I think it was?
Yeah, there's a video floating around somewhere.

It almost woke him up I guess.

There's a video floating around somewhere.

Old
04-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Jester

Quote:
(Please note: Everyone here right now is probably imagining the difference in Laliberte/Maroon's skating vs. Knuble's skating as a turtle vs. a rabbit. Please don't do that.)
It would probably be better if your point of comparison wasn't a dude with barely competent skating ability for the NHL, and that's in his mid 30s after a decade of learning the tricks of the trade in the clutch-and-grab era. He had better movement when he broke in during his mid 20s.

Old
04-26-2010, 12:03 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I would play Kalinski over Maroon, Nodl, Laliberte. Maroon's skating against the Caps = oh boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Legein?

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
Legein?
I'd love to see Legein play. I wonder if he can skate faster than Ovy or Backstrom or Semin...

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Doesnt really matter since Giroux will probablly get moved up like last game.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It would probably be better if your point of comparison wasn't a dude with barely competent skating ability for the NHL, and that's in his mid 30s after a decade of learning the tricks of the trade in the clutch-and-grab era. He had better movement when he broke in during his mid 20s.
How did I know you'd be the first to speak up?

My point is, Maroon's skating is not elite, or great, or good, by any means compared to the NHL. That said, there are plenty of players already in the NHL that get by with just as much skating ability. Those players manage to succeed in specific roles. I assume they plan on using Maroon where he will succeed; in front of the net, much like Knuble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'd love to see Legein play. I wonder if he can skate faster than Ovy or Backstrom or Semin...
No.

Old
04-26-2010, 12:09 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
-Laliberte was always a second behind the play. As I said in another thread, Laliberte tries to mold his game after Gagne so putting him in a situation with Richards had a chance of paying off in the sense that it might not hurt them much chemistry wise. Unfortunately for Laliberte, Gagne's skating and speed is what makes him such an effective player. Laliberte, a second behind everything, is still not Gagne not matter how much you want him to be.

-Maroon's game doesn't rely on speed, but his skating is not as bad as people making it out to be. Granted, it's not great by a long stretch. It's not worse than Laliberte though. If he stands in front of the net we might get an opportunity to see his incredible hands in action. Richards was carrying the load defensively for that line anyway. I'd rather have a player that can help us somewhat rather than Laliberte lagging behind.

-Yeah, I wish Pyro wasn't hurt.

I would agree that having someone like Maroon camping the net line would be a great addition, since Hartnell has seemed to retired from that position. It is definitely an upgrade to a floater like Laliberte, but only if the team we are going to play is anyone but Washington.

I don't want to see any player caught behind the play, especially if someone like Maroon is going to be against Washington's top line. I don't recall seeing Laliberte attacking the net much, and he looks like some who tries to create chance around the face-off circle. If we were to assume that Laliberte and Maroon have similar speed, then I would choose someone who has less of a distance to skate to get back to his own end.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:

My point is, Maroon's skating is not elite, or great, or good, by any means compared to the NHL. That said, there are plenty of players already in the NHL that get by with just as much skating ability. Those players manage to succeed in specific roles. I assume they plan on using Maroon where he will succeed; in front of the net, much like Knuble.
That will be ironic considering Maroon will get a chance to see Knuble do it right.

There is no reason to ever call up a mediocre skater during the playoffs.

The players that you mention that have roles but slow skating are often still really strong on their skates. Hanzus and Knuble and Pronger for that matter aren't fast guys. But they are brilliant in other ways AND have been playing with and practicing with the team for a year. Maroon doesn't have the talent that those guys have and hasn't been practicing with the team.

They may as well just dress 7D and plug in Bartulis when necessary. We've had some really bad injuries but we've yet to have a d-man go down. And it happens to every team in the playoffs. It's not a jinx, it's a fact.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
You yourself outed the conspiracy to get you in that other thread, dude.

Yes, you are that important to everyone here.

Quote:
Not as many as you seem to think...

The only reason Knuble gets by is because he's a ****ing rock star in a 15 foot radius in front of the net, and is a horse along the boards. He's also a smart player that can help teams on the PK. However, he struggles mightily between the circles and his niche was found as a complementary player to star players.

Maroon may work out, but trying him out in the playoffs seems like a reach.