HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Thoresen - back to Philadelphia?

Old
04-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Sometimes I'm amazed at two people's differing viewpoints on the same player. If I were to describe Powe I'd say he's quite physical, VERY fast, and has stone hands. In comparison to what I remember from Thor, I'd say Powe is certainly more physical, certainly faster, and certainly has worse hands.
Worse hands, but he goes to the net and gets goals because of it.

Powe may be the fastest straight ahead skater on the team at the moment. Doesn't have the smooth skating ability of a Coburn or Carter, but would be curious to see a foot race in a sprint.

And Powe hits like a ton of bricks (guy has the perfect build for delivering hits), I"m not sure how anyone can think Thor was in the same ballpark physically.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:00 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Powe is the prototypical Laviolette bottom-6 forward. Tenacious, fast, and gritty.

That said, I'd give Thoreson another shot, since he's in a similar mold, but we need to get some of the Phantoms up here. Kalinski has looked very solid the few times he's been called up.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:03 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Dont see that as the reason they are looking at him. They know what kind of layer he is.
He hasn't played for the Flyers in two years. They need to determine if he really has found a scoring touch or if he's just using the same skills to take advantage of weaker competition. If they based a decision off what they saw two years ago in limited time I'd lose was little faith I have left in the front office.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:04 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Sometimes I'm amazed at two people's differing viewpoints on the same player. If I were to describe Powe I'd say he's quite physical, VERY fast, and has stone hands. In comparison to what I remember from Thor, I'd say Powe is certainly more physical, certainly faster, and certainly has worse hands.
Powe maybe a little more physical, not by much imo. I dont hink he is that faster, i rememebr thor being pretty quick. While they both have bad bands, thor couldnt score to save his life when he was here.

Powe is going to look for more than the qualifying raise on his existing contract. IMO he will want 900k+. I could be wrong but just the way i see it. I dotn give it to him. We wants 650k, by all means welcome back.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
He hasn't played for the Flyers in two years. They need to determine if he really has found a scoring touch or if he's just using the same skills to take advantage of weaker competition. If they based a decision off what they saw two years ago in limited time I'd lose was little faith I have left in the front office.
having a scoring touch in a minor league as compared to the nhl doesnt always translate. They wouldnt be looking at him for a scoring role anyway. I doubt his game has changed much at all, beside shim putting up points in a euro league.

Old
04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Powe maybe a little more physical, not by much imo. I dont hink he is that faster, i rememebr thor being pretty quick. While they both have bad bands, thor couldnt score to save his life when he was here.

Powe is going to look for more than the qualifying raise on his existing contract. IMO he will want 900k+. I could be wrong but just the way i see it. I dotn give it to him. We wants 650k, by all means welcome back.
Powe isn't getting 900K+ from anyone, that would be shocking. The salary cap has created a top-heavy salary structure with the bottom 6 guys getting screwed. As an UFA Powe might be able to pull in that type of coin in a few years if he sets himself up as a solid 10 goal contributor that kills penalties and the like, but not this coming contract. As said, Betts isn't even making that. Asham is like 650K...

Old
04-26-2010, 12:15 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
having a scoring touch in a minor league as compared to the nhl doesnt always translate. They wouldnt be looking at him for a scoring role anyway. I doubt his game has changed much at all, beside shim putting up points in a euro league.
That's exactly what I'm saying! They're not going to bring him back unless his offense has actually developed and they need to scout him to get an idea if that has happened.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Powe isn't getting 900K+ from anyone, that would be shocking. The salary cap has created a top-heavy salary structure with the bottom 6 guys getting screwed. As an UFA Powe might be able to pull in that type of coin in a few years if he sets himself up as a solid 10 goal contributor that kills penalties and the like, but not this coming contract. As said, Betts isn't even making that. Asham is like 650K...
I agree, you know how Shooter rewards "his" players. Cant compare him and betts though imo. You watch him get closer to 900 than 650.

Old
04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
I agree, you know how Shooter rewards "his" players. Cant compare him and betts though imo. You watch him get closer to 900 than 650.
...you can't compare a 4th line wing to a 4th line center's pay check?

Here's the rub, though. Homer literally can't give him that much money, we don't have the space to be spending that on a 3rd/4th line wing.

Old
04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
jb**

Quote:
...you can't compare a 4th line wing to a 4th line center's pay check?

Here's the rub, though. Homer literally can't give him that much money, we don't have the space to be spending that on a 3rd/4th line wing.
they are different players. The flyers are comfortable putting powe up on the top 3 lines when needed. He can ply wing or center. He is mor ephysical and better skater than betts. Just becuase they are 4th line guys doesnt mean they are the same type of player.

Old
04-26-2010, 12:31 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Worse hands, but he goes to the net and gets goals because of it.

Powe may be the fastest straight ahead skater on the team at the moment. Doesn't have the smooth skating ability of a Coburn or Carter, but would be curious to see a foot race in a sprint.

And Powe hits like a ton of bricks (guy has the perfect build for delivering hits), I"m not sure how anyone can think Thor was in the same ballpark physically.
That's exactly the assessment I have of him. No hands, just rips the puck and crashes the net.

Super fast...I'd also like to see him in a straight line sprint against Carter or Coburn.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 12:58 PM
bakunin

I'm at the WC in germany and Thor said today that his goal is to come back to the NHL, that the Flyers still have his rights under control and that he is waiting for a contract offer. He said he hasn't spoke to anyone from the organization recently though.

He's having a pretty solid tournament so far, i'd love to have him back.

bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 01:11 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin View Post
I'm at the WC in germany and Thor said today that his goal is to come back to the NHL, that the Flyers still have his rights under control and that he is waiting for a contract offer. He said he hasn't spoke to anyone from the organization recently though.

I like Thor a lot, But we just don't have room really. Maybe if we move Hartnell, but we need a 3rd line C really.

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Gagne-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-3rd Line C-Thor/Kalinski
Powe-Betts-Lappy

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 01:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin View Post

Maybe the Flyers are waiting on word from Kempe and Popov before Thoresen?

I have no clue what's going on. I expect pieces to start falling into place before the draft.

Ever since we signed Bobrovsky, things have gone silent.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 01:14 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I like Thor a lot, But we just don't have room really. Maybe if we move Hartnell, but we need a 3rd line C really.

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Gagne-Briere-Leino
Powe-Betts-Lappy
Jeff Carter?

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Gagne-Briere-Leino
Powe-Betts-Lappy
This a lineup for next season?

Jeff Carter says, "Hey!"

Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Jeff Carter?
We traded him for Price.

Old
05-16-2010, 01:15 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Jeff Carter?
Wow I knew I forgot someone haha.

Even less room for Thor

Old
05-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Wow I knew I forgot someone haha.

Even less room for Thor
The other thing is that Nodl is clearly above Kalinski in the organizations eyes, and has played well enough in the playoffs to deserve mention above him.

Old
05-16-2010, 01:24 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
The other thing is that Nodl is clearly above Kalinski in the organizations eyes, and has played well enough in the playoffs to deserve mention above him.
Meh they both played 10 games in reg season, I wouldn't be surprised if Kalinski is hurt or healing right now since even Laliberte and Ross got in before him.

Old
05-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Meh they both played 10 games in reg season, I wouldn't be surprised if Kalinski is hurt or healing right now since even Laliberte and Ross got in before him.
Maybe. And I'm not sure I would agree with the Nodl>Kalinski assessment, but Nodl has played better and more physical than in his previous incarnations with the Flyers...and having postseason success casts a long shadow for better or worse.

Old
05-16-2010, 01:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Maybe. And I'm not sure I would agree with the Nodl>Kalinski assessment, but Nodl has played better and more physical than in his previous incarnations with the Flyers...and having postseason success casts a long shadow for better or worse.
One thing I've pointed out for a while is that while Nodl has looked pretty rough around the edges when called up in the past, he's developed his physicality, his boardwork, and his defensive game at the AHL level.

His offensive touch seems to have vanished, and I think now that it's gone for good.

However, he's slowly turning into a very good 3rd line checker. If he's capable of 30 points next to Giroux and JVR, I consider him sold.

Old
05-16-2010, 01:29 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
I definitely still like Kalinski more, but I dont hate Nodl as much this time around. Kalinski is a good checking pest, with decent hands.

Old
05-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Kaktus*

No thanks. Been there done that.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 01:50 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I think Thor and Kalinski have better hands than Nodl, but I think Nodl is a little more about checking and defense than the other 2. I guess Nodl has temporarily replaced Lappy for being a defensive forward.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote