HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Maroon practicing w/ Richards Line; Leighton practicing (as per Twitter)

Old
04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I would agree that having someone like Maroon camping the net line would be a great addition, since Hartnell has seemed to retired from that position. It is definitely an upgrade to a floater like Laliberte, but only if the team we are going to play is anyone but Washington.
Laliberte is not a floater by choice. He'd be a decently effective talent if he had better speed. Since his type of game relies on that speed, it makes him relatively useless. He's caught behind the play and becomes invisible.

Honestly, Laliberte's a pretty hard worker.

Quote:
I don't want to see any player caught behind the play, especially if someone like Maroon is going to be against Washington's top line. I don't recall seeing Laliberte attacking the net much, and he looks like some who tries to create chance around the face-off circle. If we were to assume that Laliberte and Maroon have similar speed, then I would choose someone who has less of a distance to skate to get back to his own end.
An extra two feet is not going to matter. We don't really have much of an option since Pyro is hurt. I'd rather someone be helpful in some ways than helpful in no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Maroon may work out, but trying him out in the playoffs seems like a reach.
Agreed, but we really don't have the luxury anymore. This thread is about Maroon vs. Laliberte. I say Maroon gets the nod. He can bring more to the NHL table than Laliberte.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
An extra two feet is not going to matter. We don't really have much of an option since Pyro is hurt. I'd rather someone be helpful in some ways than helpful in no way.
It is not only 2-5 feet that matters. If you are putting yourself in front of the net constantly, then you are more likely to be either; tied up with a defense men or knocked on your ass from time to time. This can completely take you out of the play, and not just a second behind.

I have no clue how Maroons balance is, and I am not willing to test it against a team like Washington. If this was Buffalo, Boston, Montreal and maybe Pittsburgh then I would agree.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Dark One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Absolutely. There is NO way you stop playing Bouch. The only way Bouch doesn't play is if he gets blown out 3 games in a row
This.

Though I would bring the number down to 2 games instead of 3. And even then only if it's clear Leighton is at full strength.

Dark One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I have no clue how Maroons balance is, and I am not willing to test it against a team like Washington. If this was Buffalo, Boston, Montreal and maybe Pittsburgh then I would agree.
Against Washington's soft defense?

Old
04-26-2010, 12:23 PM
CdnFlyersFan

Why has Matsumoto never been given a sniff in the big show? I understand he is small...and think I heard his 2 way game needs improvment......is it really that bad that Laliberte, Maroon, etc get the nod before him??

CdnFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Agreed, but we really don't have the luxury anymore. This thread is about Maroon vs. Laliberte. I say Maroon gets the nod. He can bring more to the NHL table than Laliberte.
No, the thread is about who should be the 12th forward (or you could even ask if there should be a 12th forward). As I said at the outset, I'm completely baffled why we appear to be focusing on that 12th guy being someone that can fill in a top 6 role, as opposed to filling in a bottom 6 role.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
The only reason Knuble gets by is because he's a ****ing rock star in a 15 foot radius in front of the net, and is a horse along the boards.
Hahaha, well said sir, well said.

Quote:
Maroon may work out, but trying him out in the playoffs seems like a reach.
Pyro, Gagne, Carter all hurt, Nodl sucks. What can you do?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Lets let 'em win first.

And I don't really believe in "soft defenses" in the 2nd round of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs. Everyone gets a bit of testicular fortitude at this point.

Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnFlyersFan View Post
Why has Matsumoto never been given a sniff in the big show? I understand he is small...and think I heard his 2 way game needs improvment......is it really that bad that Laliberte, Maroon, etc get the nod before him??
You're willing to throw a fairly average player out there in a position he's never played, against competition he's never played against, without having any real skill-set that stands out enough to say he might be able to help us in some distinct way?

Quote:
No, the thread is about who should be the 12th forward (or you could even ask if there should be a 12th forward). As I said at the outset, I'm completely baffled why we appear to be focusing on that 12th guy being someone that can fill in a top 6 role, as opposed to filling in a bottom 6 role.
It's obvious that the team wants to continue to role 3 scoring lines. Whether or not I agree with that is a whole different story.

Old
CantSeeColors

I'd kind of rather see Bartulis on the wing than any of these AHLers. No offense to them, but Bartulis is used to the speed of the game up here, has played plenty of forward in his life, and as a defenseman, is probably pretty willing to backcheck and play both ends.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Hahaha, well said sir, well said.

Pyro, Gagne, Carter all hurt, Nodl sucks. What can you do?
I don't think the Bartulis as a 7th D thought is a bad one, given the fact that the 12th forward is going to play extremely limited minutes and it gives you coverage if a D goes down.

I also don't understand why Kalinski, who can provide some energy on the back of your roster, isn't in the mix.

Old
04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I don't think the Bartulis as a 7th D thought is a bad one, given the fact that the 12th forward is going to play extremely limited minutes and it gives you coverage if a D goes down.

I also don't understand why Kalinski, who can provide some energy on the back of your roster, isn't in the mix.
If we're going with a Phantom, he's the one I'd want. Move Giroux up to Richards's wing and slide Kalinski into the bottom six somewhere.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
DUHockey9

If I had it my way, I'd call up Kalinski to play a bottom 6 role. It's the "safest" thing we can do. We all know Kalinski can skate with the big boys and do his job.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:30 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
They are great (if not some of the best) puck movers against an AHLer in front of the net.

They are not that weak. Washington is bad defensively because their players don't back check, not because they have the worst defense men in the league.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
They are great (if not some of the best) puck movers against an AHLer in front of the net.

They are not that weak. Washington is bad defensively because their players don't back check, not because they have the worst defense men in the league.
Yeah, their defense isn't anything to fear, but at the same time Shafer is taking this way too far. Much of the defensive shortcomings of the Capitals stem from the style they play, and their goaltending. That style also makes them extremely dangerous in the other direction, and they have the pop to back it up...

Old
04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I know everyone here loves Kalinski, but I do think he is either hurt or they dont think he is ready to play, is the reason he isnt brought up yet

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'd rather have Nodl than any of the above. Sure he's not great defensively, but we are talking about total unknowns in Maroon/Legein.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:44 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Is Legein hurt? I thought I read that he was earlier in the playoffs

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Yeah, their defense isn't anything to fear, but at the same time Shafer is taking this way too far. Much of the defensive shortcomings of the Capitals stem from the style they play, and their goaltending. That style also makes them extremely dangerous in the other direction, and they have the pop to back it up...
Or that they turn the puck over, are not good along the boards, and have a tendency to do blow assignments in the crease/slot, particularly against a cycle team that moves the puck quickly...

Washington's offense is mostly a possession game or their elite forwards skating up-ice on the rush.

Old
04-26-2010, 12:55 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
You're willing to throw a fairly average player out there in a position he's never played, against competition he's never played against, without having any real skill-set that stands out enough to say he might be able to help us in some distinct way?
I don't know if he was suggesting Matsumoto be put in there, but rather just went to look at the Phantoms roster and wondered why the leading scorer never had a cup of coffee up here.

I agree with most sentiments that I'd like Kalinski in a bottom-6 role and 2 true scoring lines. Constant shuffling destroys any possibility of true chemistry developing. At this point, I think all of the top 9 even are comfortable playing with each other, but that's not the same thing as bonafide chemistry.

More specific to the possibility of Maroon playing, even if he's a little slow, he can just wait for the breakout pass at the defensive blue-line like Hartnell. Honestly, a big guy in front of the net isn't a bad thing. He's not the best option for the playoffs, but perhaps the coaching staff thinks this will be of particular importance down the road and they need to figure out an option that works. Just because they try it in practice doesn't mean that's what they use 3-5 days from now.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:57 PM
jb**

Quote:
Laliberte is not a floater by choice. He'd be a decently effective talent if he had better speed. Since his type of game relies on that speed, it makes him relatively useless. He's caught behind the play and becomes invisible.

Honestly, Laliberte's a pretty hard worker.

How can he bring more to the nhl table? Right now Laliberte is a better player. What bothers me is is if yoru only going to use them for 5 minutes i agree with what you said that they should dress someone who can helpa little than not at all. Kalinski is a safer choice.

Maroon had a very disappointing year. I do not reward him with nhl playing time. The only way i play him is if the coaches think it will be a pp fest again and utilize his body and hands in front since your missing 2 key pp components.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I don't know if he was suggesting Matsumoto be put in there, but rather just went to look at the Phantoms roster and wondered why the leading scorer never had a cup of coffee up here.

I agree with most sentiments that I'd like Kalinski in a bottom-6 role and 2 true scoring lines. Constant shuffling destroys any possibility of true chemistry developing. At this point, I think all of the top 9 even are comfortable playing with each other, but that's not the same thing as bonafide chemistry.
Changing to a 2-line format at this point, as much as I am for it, is probably more of an upheaval to the chemistry at this point than leaving a top 9 and filling in for injuries, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
More specific to the possibility of Maroon playing, even if he's a little slow, he can just wait for the breakout pass at the defensive blue-line like Hartnell. Honestly, a big guy in front of the net isn't a bad thing. He's not the best option for the playoffs, but perhaps the coaching staff thinks this will be of particular importance down the road and they need to figure out an option that works. Just because they try it in practice doesn't mean that's what they use 3-5 days from now.
Net presence is definitely something we could use more of.

Old
FlyerX

You can't teach size like Maroon has. I wouldn't mind seeing him get the 5 minutes of ice time Laliberte got.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Maroon has great hands. Not so sure on his balance but I have heard that he has greatly improved his skating since being drafted. Not sure if that means he is a good skater now or just a better skater than he was. I saw him play for Phantoms and have seen clips from London and he looks good to me. I've said this before but I am going to name drop a little more...I met Jonesy over the summer and he said that Maroon has some of the best hands he has ever seen. Said he could be better than LeClair. I'm psyched on him and hope he plays.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:59 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
How can he bring more to the nhl table? Right now Laliberte is a better player. What bothers me is is if yoru only going to use them for 5 minutes i agree with what you said that they should dress someone who can helpa little than not at all. Kalinski is a safer choice.

Maroon had a very disappointing year. I do not reward him with nhl playing time. The only way i play him is if the coaches think it will be a pp fest again and utilize his body and hands in front since your missing 2 key pp components.
How is Laliberte the better player? I'd LOVE to hear this explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Maroon has great hands. Not so sure on his balance but I have heard that he has greatly improved his skating since being drafted. Not sure if that means he is a good skater now or just a better skater than he was. I saw him play for Phantoms and have seen clips from London and he looks good to me. I've said this before but I am going to name drop a little more...I met Jonesy over the summer and he said that Maroon has some of the best hands he has ever seen. Said he could be better than LeClair. I'm psyched on him and hope he plays.
Better than LeClair is a stretch, but Maroon's hands are no over-exaggeration.