HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maroon practicing w/ Richards Line; Leighton practicing (as per Twitter)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2010, 01:09 PM
  #51
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
How is Laliberte the better player? I'd LOVE to hear this explanation.



Better than LeClair is a stretch, but Maroon's hands are no over-exaggeration.
You said he can bring more to the nhl table, how so?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
  #52
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
How can he bring more to the nhl table? Right now Laliberte is a better player. What bothers me is is if yoru only going to use them for 5 minutes i agree with what you said that they should dress someone who can helpa little than not at all. Kalinski is a safer choice.

Maroon had a very disappointing year. I do not reward him with nhl playing time. The only way i play him is if the coaches think it will be a pp fest again and utilize his body and hands in front since your missing 2 key pp components.
??? Laliberte fed off of Maroon and Matsumoto. Dont know how he is the better player.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
  #53
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Or that they turn the puck over, are not good along the boards, and have a tendency to do blow assignments in the crease/slot, particularly against a cycle team that moves the puck quickly...

Washington's offense is mostly a possession game or their elite forwards skating up-ice on the rush.
Find me a defense that doesn't tend to turn the puck over, has weak links along the boards, and blows assignments in the crease/slot against teams that effectively cycle (note: that's why you cycle the puck...to get someone loose with a chance on net).

We have Matt Carle, Braydon Coburn, Krajicek, Bartulis and Parent...all of whom have been exposed in some or all of those areas with regularity this year.

They, however, exist on a team that covers their ass a lot more effectively than the Caps system does (left-wing lock) and doesn't put them in as many vulnerable positions. They also get to be paired with two studs.

However, as we saw in the Devs series...our third pairing is extremely, extremely vulnerable.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:19 PM
  #54
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Find me a defense that doesn't tend to turn the puck over, has weak links along the boards, and blows assignments in the crease/slot against teams that effectively cycle (note: that's why you cycle the puck...to get someone loose with a chance on net).

We have Matt Carle, Braydon Coburn, Krajicek, Bartulis and Parent...all of whom have been exposed in some or all of those areas with regularity this year.

They, however, exist on a team that covers their ass a lot more effectively than the Caps system does (left-wing lock) and doesn't put them in as many vulnerable positions. They also get to be paired with two studs.

However, as we saw in the Devs series...our third pairing is extremely, extremely vulnerable.
Pronger-Carle >>>>>>>>>>> Schultz-Green
Timonen-Coburn >>>>>>>>>>>> Poti-Carlson
Parent-Krajicek < Morrisonn-Corvo

As long as we're clear on that.

Your point about or system covering up our defenders mistakes is moot:

1) Because the ends justifies the means in that regard. Our defensemen not making those mistakes regardless of why means that they're not making those mistakes. Plain and simple.

2) Because our defense has more talent/is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
You said he can bring more to the nhl table, how so?
Already explained it.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:21 PM
  #55
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Pronger-Carle >>>>>>>>>>> Schultz-Green
Timonen-Coburn >>>>>>>>>>>> Poti-Carlson
Parent-Krajicek < Morrisonn-Corvo

As long as we're clear on that.

Your point about or system covering up our defenders mistakes is moot:

1) Because the ends justifies the means in that regard. Our defensemen not making those mistakes regardless of why means that they're not making those mistakes. Plain and simple.

2) Because our defense has more talent/is better.



Already explained it.
Wow, you think the best #6 shut down dman isnt as good as the caps bottom pair? I am impressed you would admit such. Where did you already explain it? I dont see where you did at all.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:21 PM
  #56
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,594
vCash: 500
I think Gagne is almost go to go too, how great!

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...oe-is-making-a

Quote:
Simon Gagne (broken toe) is making a rapid recovery and could skate as soon as Fri.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:26 PM
  #57
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
I think Gagne is almost go to go too, how great!

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...oe-is-making-a
That would be amazing. Although skating is not playing, but better then nothing.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
  #58
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Pronger-Carle >>>>>>>>>>> Schultz-Green
With Schultz on the ice...the Caps are 2.62 goals better than their opponent over 60 minutes of even strength play. With Green, 2.12 goals better.

We are 0.76 and 0.63 better than our opponent with Carle and Pronger respectively.

Sure, I absolutely agree that Pronger and Carle as a pairing are better defensively...but your hilarious use of ">" seems to be missing some fundamental truths about hockey: score more than your opponent and you win.

Which is why your hilariously aggressive position with regard to their D is misguided. Sure, you can pressure 'em...and, sure, they're going to cough up some pucks and you're going to get chances. But they're sure as hell going to get theirs too.

Quote:
Timonen-Coburn >>>>>>>>>>>> Poti-Carlson
Sure, until Coburn gets caught in space by forwards that can make a move...which the Caps have in spades. Caps are a horrible team for Coburn to go against, because some of their best skills directly attack his greatest weakness: one-on-one defense (reference Semin making him look like an a**hole).

Quote:
Parent-Krajicek < Morrisonn-Corvo
And with the Caps getting home ice 4 times in a potential series, look the F out when they can get their top line out against those two.

Quote:
As long as we're clear on that.
We're not, because, as ever, you're making homerish claims that don't really get at the whole story. You really need to tone down the bashing of the Caps defense, because while it has its deficiencies (so does ours), it also has its strengths.

Quote:
Your point about or system covering up our defenders mistakes is moot:

1) Because the ends justifies the means in that regard. Our defensemen not making those mistakes regardless of why means that they're not making those mistakes. Plain and simple.
That's not really moot...because you're trying to criticize their defensemen as individual players, while completely ignoring the system they play. The Caps employ a style that is going to give you chances to score on 'em, but they're banking on it giving them more chances to score on you.

So, sitting back and saying that the Caps defense loses its assignment, turns the puck over, etc. is moot....because that's something you expect when a team puts its defense into precarious situations with less help than other teams provide systemically.

Quote:
2) Because our defense has more talent/is better.
I agree, but that doesn't mean their defense is anywhere near as bad as you're painting it to be. They make their defenseman work a lot harder than we make ours... pointing at their defense and saying they suck while ignoring that fact is silly.

The Caps want to outscore you...not out defend you.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:59 PM
  #59
Hubey1327
Registered User
 
Hubey1327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Penn State
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
..
Have you ever agreed with anybody in your entire life on any subject?

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:03 PM
  #60
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
I had a dream last night where Maroon turned into Knuble 2.0 and we shipped Hartnell out to anybody.

It was awesome.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:05 PM
  #61
Hubey1327
Registered User
 
Hubey1327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Penn State
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I had a dream last night where Maroon turned into Knuble 2.0 and we shipped Hartnell out to anybody.

It was awesome.
Then you woke up. Saw hartnell still on the roster and just gave out a huge ahhhh **** me

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:06 PM
  #62
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Its pretty clear that this series will rely solely on the play of Brian Boucher.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
  #63
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Its pretty clear that this series will rely solely on the play of Brian Boucher.
Isn't that what they said about the Devils?

Except that series came down to coaching and defense...

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:23 PM
  #64
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,474
vCash: 500
to bad Testwuide isn't eligable to play

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:46 PM
  #65
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
past leino i think it comes down to how you feel about our bottom six forwards. if your comfortable bumping one up then you go with laliberte or kalinski on the 4th and if your not you see if one of the more skilled guys is ready to play in maroon or legein.

id go with maroon or kalinski as they both bring needed size and could play the forth while they adjust before moving up to a scoring line. i betcha lavy uses this first few days as short auditions on each line to see how well these guys can integrate themselves and evaluates it as he sees em.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:47 PM
  #66
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubey1327 View Post
Have you ever agreed with anybody in your entire life on any subject?
Yep, I just tend not to post "I agree," cuz why the **** bother...someone already said it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:52 PM
  #67
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Pronger must take out Knuble. As soon as Knuble is in Boucher's face he needs to take him out.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:19 PM
  #68
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubey1327 View Post
Then you woke up. Saw hartnell still on the roster and just gave out a huge ahhhh **** me
yep

I went from kinda liking Hartnell and his grit last season to giving up on the guy.

The dude is an awful passer and a turnover machine, on top of taking awful penalties.

If we lose playoff games because he is in the box, then I don't care who we have in front of the net, we have to move him. I think it's funny to see Pronger in front of the net on the PP sometimes, lol. He does a better job then "Can't Pass" Hartnell.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:28 PM
  #69
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
yep

I went from kinda liking Hartnell and his grit last season to giving up on the guy.

The dude is an awful passer and a turnover machine, on top of taking awful penalties.

If we lose playoff games because he is in the box, then I don't care who we have in front of the net, we have to move him. I think it's funny to see Pronger in front of the net on the PP sometimes, lol. He does a better job then "Can't Pass" Hartnell.
Hartnell's only good on the screens (which he does quite well), but useless at getting his stick on anything coming in and/or bouncing around when he's doing that. That's the (unfortunate) difference between his and Knuble's game in front of the net.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:51 PM
  #70
Crossbar Ping
Registered User
 
Crossbar Ping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
Wow I dont know how I feel about a top line of Richards with Carcillo and Maroon...

In fact I do, and I feel terrified.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:26 PM
  #71
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You're willing to throw a fairly average player out there in a position he's never played, against competition he's never played against, without having any real skill-set that stands out enough to say he might be able to help us in some distinct way?
Why not see if Matsumoto can sink or swim? The guy should have been given a cup of coffee at least twice and the franchise hasn't done him right (and when you consider some of the other players they've called up besides Matsumoto, it can be considered an insult and a slap in the face that he's never received a shot). At worst, he's a Matt Ellison type player that gets moved. At best, he becomes the second coming of Patrick Sharp. Either way, it doesn't hurt to try.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:27 PM
  #72
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ah, I'm curious to see Maroon play for this club at some point... but I have zero interest in him going through first game NHL jitters and first NHL playoff game jitters in the same game...
His smarts more than make up for any perceived skating issues. All what I'll say is this - Maroon is 10 times the skater that Michal Handzus is and sometimes, all what a guy needs to get into this league is a break.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 05:04 PM
  #73
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
His smarts more than make up for any perceived skating issues. All what I'll say is this - Maroon is 10 times the skater that Michal Handzus is and sometimes, all what a guy needs to get into this league is a break.
Eh, don't think that's true at all. Handzus also has spidey sense.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 05:20 PM
  #74
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Why not see if Matsumoto can sink or swim? The guy should have been given a cup of coffee at least twice and the franchise hasn't done him right (and when you consider some of the other players they've called up besides Matsumoto, it can be considered an insult and a slap in the face that he's never received a shot). At worst, he's a Matt Ellison type player that gets moved. At best, he becomes the second coming of Patrick Sharp. Either way, it doesn't hurt to try.
Actually, worst case scenario is that he directly causes the team to lose a playoff game against the 1 seed. The stakes are pretty high here.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
  #75
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,178
vCash: 500
I think matsumoto should be given a chance as well. But to be honest I think the flyers have at least a chance to beat the caps. the last game the flyers and caps plays the flyers outshot them but gave up a penalty shot to ovie and shorty to laich. Carcillo has had some great games with richards so sticking a less experienced player on their line is probably the best bet at this point. Excited to see what these guys can do.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.