HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maroon practicing w/ Richards Line; Leighton practicing (as per Twitter)

Old
04-26-2010, 01:09 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
How is Laliberte the better player? I'd LOVE to hear this explanation.

Better than LeClair is a stretch, but Maroon's hands are no over-exaggeration.
You said he can bring more to the nhl table, how so?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
How can he bring more to the nhl table? Right now Laliberte is a better player. What bothers me is is if yoru only going to use them for 5 minutes i agree with what you said that they should dress someone who can helpa little than not at all. Kalinski is a safer choice.

Maroon had a very disappointing year. I do not reward him with nhl playing time. The only way i play him is if the coaches think it will be a pp fest again and utilize his body and hands in front since your missing 2 key pp components.
??? Laliberte fed off of Maroon and Matsumoto. Dont know how he is the better player.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Or that they turn the puck over, are not good along the boards, and have a tendency to do blow assignments in the crease/slot, particularly against a cycle team that moves the puck quickly...

Washington's offense is mostly a possession game or their elite forwards skating up-ice on the rush.
Find me a defense that doesn't tend to turn the puck over, has weak links along the boards, and blows assignments in the crease/slot against teams that effectively cycle (note: that's why you cycle the puck...to get someone loose with a chance on net).

We have Matt Carle, Braydon Coburn, Krajicek, Bartulis and Parent...all of whom have been exposed in some or all of those areas with regularity this year.

They, however, exist on a team that covers their ass a lot more effectively than the Caps system does (left-wing lock) and doesn't put them in as many vulnerable positions. They also get to be paired with two studs.

However, as we saw in the Devs series...our third pairing is extremely, extremely vulnerable.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Find me a defense that doesn't tend to turn the puck over, has weak links along the boards, and blows assignments in the crease/slot against teams that effectively cycle (note: that's why you cycle the puck...to get someone loose with a chance on net).

We have Matt Carle, Braydon Coburn, Krajicek, Bartulis and Parent...all of whom have been exposed in some or all of those areas with regularity this year.

They, however, exist on a team that covers their ass a lot more effectively than the Caps system does (left-wing lock) and doesn't put them in as many vulnerable positions. They also get to be paired with two studs.

However, as we saw in the Devs series...our third pairing is extremely, extremely vulnerable.
Pronger-Carle >>>>>>>>>>> Schultz-Green
Timonen-Coburn >>>>>>>>>>>> Poti-Carlson
Parent-Krajicek < Morrisonn-Corvo

As long as we're clear on that.

Your point about or system covering up our defenders mistakes is moot:

1) Because the ends justifies the means in that regard. Our defensemen not making those mistakes regardless of why means that they're not making those mistakes. Plain and simple.

2) Because our defense has more talent/is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
You said he can bring more to the nhl table, how so?
Already explained it.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:21 PM
jb**

Quote:

1) Because the ends justifies the means in that regard. Our defensemen not making those mistakes regardless of why means that they're not making those mistakes. Plain and simple.

Already explained it.
Wow, you think the best #6 shut down dman isnt as good as the caps bottom pair? I am impressed you would admit such. Where did you already explain it? I dont see where you did at all.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:21 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

I think Gagne is almost go to go too, how great!

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...oe-is-making-a

Quote:
Simon Gagne (broken toe) is making a rapid recovery and could skate as soon as Fri.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:26 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
I think Gagne is almost go to go too, how great!

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...oe-is-making-a
That would be amazing. Although skating is not playing, but better then nothing.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
With Schultz on the ice...the Caps are 2.62 goals better than their opponent over 60 minutes of even strength play. With Green, 2.12 goals better.

We are 0.76 and 0.63 better than our opponent with Carle and Pronger respectively.

Sure, I absolutely agree that Pronger and Carle as a pairing are better defensively...but your hilarious use of ">" seems to be missing some fundamental truths about hockey: score more than your opponent and you win.

Which is why your hilariously aggressive position with regard to their D is misguided. Sure, you can pressure 'em...and, sure, they're going to cough up some pucks and you're going to get chances. But they're sure as hell going to get theirs too.

Quote:
Sure, until Coburn gets caught in space by forwards that can make a move...which the Caps have in spades. Caps are a horrible team for Coburn to go against, because some of their best skills directly attack his greatest weakness: one-on-one defense (reference Semin making him look like an a**hole).

Quote:
And with the Caps getting home ice 4 times in a potential series, look the F out when they can get their top line out against those two.

Quote:
We're not, because, as ever, you're making homerish claims that don't really get at the whole story. You really need to tone down the bashing of the Caps defense, because while it has its deficiencies (so does ours), it also has its strengths.

Quote:

That's not really moot...because you're trying to criticize their defensemen as individual players, while completely ignoring the system they play. The Caps employ a style that is going to give you chances to score on 'em, but they're banking on it giving them more chances to score on you.

So, sitting back and saying that the Caps defense loses its assignment, turns the puck over, etc. is moot....because that's something you expect when a team puts its defense into precarious situations with less help than other teams provide systemically.

Quote:
I agree, but that doesn't mean their defense is anywhere near as bad as you're painting it to be. They make their defenseman work a lot harder than we make ours... pointing at their defense and saying they suck while ignoring that fact is silly.

The Caps want to outscore you...not out defend you.

Old
04-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Have you ever agreed with anybody in your entire life on any subject?

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:03 PM
IrishSniper87

I had a dream last night where Maroon turned into Knuble 2.0 and we shipped Hartnell out to anybody.

It was awesome.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I had a dream last night where Maroon turned into Knuble 2.0 and we shipped Hartnell out to anybody.

It was awesome.
Then you woke up. Saw hartnell still on the roster and just gave out a huge ahhhh **** me

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:06 PM
JSTAFF

Its pretty clear that this series will rely solely on the play of Brian Boucher.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Its pretty clear that this series will rely solely on the play of Brian Boucher.
Isn't that what they said about the Devils?

Except that series came down to coaching and defense...

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:23 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

to bad Testwuide isn't eligable to play

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:46 PM
captainpaxil

past leino i think it comes down to how you feel about our bottom six forwards. if your comfortable bumping one up then you go with laliberte or kalinski on the 4th and if your not you see if one of the more skilled guys is ready to play in maroon or legein.

id go with maroon or kalinski as they both bring needed size and could play the forth while they adjust before moving up to a scoring line. i betcha lavy uses this first few days as short auditions on each line to see how well these guys can integrate themselves and evaluates it as he sees em.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubey1327 View Post
Have you ever agreed with anybody in your entire life on any subject?
Yep, I just tend not to post "I agree," cuz why the **** bother...someone already said it.

Old
04-26-2010, 02:52 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Pronger must take out Knuble. As soon as Knuble is in Boucher's face he needs to take him out.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:19 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubey1327 View Post
Then you woke up. Saw hartnell still on the roster and just gave out a huge ahhhh **** me
yep

I went from kinda liking Hartnell and his grit last season to giving up on the guy.

The dude is an awful passer and a turnover machine, on top of taking awful penalties.

If we lose playoff games because he is in the box, then I don't care who we have in front of the net, we have to move him. I think it's funny to see Pronger in front of the net on the PP sometimes, lol. He does a better job then "Can't Pass" Hartnell.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
yep

I went from kinda liking Hartnell and his grit last season to giving up on the guy.

The dude is an awful passer and a turnover machine, on top of taking awful penalties.

If we lose playoff games because he is in the box, then I don't care who we have in front of the net, we have to move him. I think it's funny to see Pronger in front of the net on the PP sometimes, lol. He does a better job then "Can't Pass" Hartnell.
Hartnell's only good on the screens (which he does quite well), but useless at getting his stick on anything coming in and/or bouncing around when he's doing that. That's the (unfortunate) difference between his and Knuble's game in front of the net.

Old
04-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Crossbar Ping

Wow I dont know how I feel about a top line of Richards with Carcillo and Maroon...

In fact I do, and I feel terrified.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:26 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
You're willing to throw a fairly average player out there in a position he's never played, against competition he's never played against, without having any real skill-set that stands out enough to say he might be able to help us in some distinct way?
Why not see if Matsumoto can sink or swim? The guy should have been given a cup of coffee at least twice and the franchise hasn't done him right (and when you consider some of the other players they've called up besides Matsumoto, it can be considered an insult and a slap in the face that he's never received a shot). At worst, he's a Matt Ellison type player that gets moved. At best, he becomes the second coming of Patrick Sharp. Either way, it doesn't hurt to try.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:27 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Ah, I'm curious to see Maroon play for this club at some point... but I have zero interest in him going through first game NHL jitters and first NHL playoff game jitters in the same game...
His smarts more than make up for any perceived skating issues. All what I'll say is this - Maroon is 10 times the skater that Michal Handzus is and sometimes, all what a guy needs to get into this league is a break.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
His smarts more than make up for any perceived skating issues. All what I'll say is this - Maroon is 10 times the skater that Michal Handzus is and sometimes, all what a guy needs to get into this league is a break.
Eh, don't think that's true at all. Handzus also has spidey sense.

Old
04-26-2010, 05:20 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Why not see if Matsumoto can sink or swim? The guy should have been given a cup of coffee at least twice and the franchise hasn't done him right (and when you consider some of the other players they've called up besides Matsumoto, it can be considered an insult and a slap in the face that he's never received a shot). At worst, he's a Matt Ellison type player that gets moved. At best, he becomes the second coming of Patrick Sharp. Either way, it doesn't hurt to try.
Actually, worst case scenario is that he directly causes the team to lose a playoff game against the 1 seed. The stakes are pretty high here.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
DrHamburg

I think matsumoto should be given a chance as well. But to be honest I think the flyers have at least a chance to beat the caps. the last game the flyers and caps plays the flyers outshot them but gave up a penalty shot to ovie and shorty to laich. Carcillo has had some great games with richards so sticking a less experienced player on their line is probably the best bet at this point. Excited to see what these guys can do.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote