HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Kings Draft Discussion

Old
04-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Let's talk prospects 18-25 from Central Scouting http://centralscouting.nhl.com/
You're only including NA Skaters (skaters in Canadian Major Junior/US Developmental).

A more likely and appropriate listing for the Kings would be (outside of the first 7 or so in US skaters):

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:07 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

If our pick is #19 as stated on the previous page, maybe DL trades up to 10-15 and gets Jeff Skinner.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Tadite

I think this 1st rounder more then any is likely to be traded. We have a core, we have a good amount of prospects, now it is time to pick up a piece or two to finish off the team.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Hipfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
If our pick is #19 as stated on the previous page, maybe DL trades up to 10-15 and gets Jeff Skinner.
Jeff Skinner should still be available at #19, there might be some big-time interest especially counting the playoffs he has just finished in the OHL, but there seems like there's at least 15 other guys (NA & Euro combined) who carry more draft potential right now.

If at pick #19 there is still Nino Niederreiter available, Dean Lombardi sould jump at him - he plays a big game and is a really talented Swiss player who excelled in his first year in major junior hockey. Nothing against small players, but Niederreiter is offensively gifted AND fast AND big.

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:52 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

All good selections but if you take a close look at Quinten Howard you'll see that he (along with two other players) is totally consistent with DL's drafting style. Big strong leader who plays with heart and has a good skillset. Howard isn't my first choice but I would be willing to bet that he is on DL's short list.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipfan View Post
If at pick #19 there is still Nino Niederreiter available, Dean Lombardi sould jump at him - he plays a big game and is a really talented Swiss player who excelled in his first year in major junior hockey. Nothing against small players, but Niederreiter is offensively gifted AND fast AND big.
Seems unlikely that Niederreiter makes it out of the top 10 at this point. And I'd almost expect the other Russians in the top 15 to drop a few spots like Dmitry Kulikov last year. So a guy like Niederreiter might have his spot in the top 10 even more solidified.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Kings did what Ottawa did in 2008 when they hosted the draft, and traded up a couple spots with one of their extra 3rds. Ottawa might actually be a decent trade up option as they don't have a 2nd rounder. Move up 3 spots in exchange for pick 82?

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:53 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

oops, I have a bad habit of calling him howard, it is of course Howden.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:55 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Jeff Skinner should still be available at #19, there might be some big-time interest especially counting the playoffs he has just finished in the OHL, but there seems like there's at least 15 other guys (NA & Euro combined) who carry more draft potential right now.

Bob Miller says no.

Could you imagine if Miller was sick and Foxy had to do the play by play again. That would be hilarious.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
I think this 1st rounder more then any is likely to be traded. We have a core, we have a good amount of prospects, now it is time to pick up a piece or two to finish off the team.
Would be really odd to trade your pick if you're hosting the draft. I think I recall reading DL joking that Luc begged him not to trade the pick at the deadline, since Luc worked hard to get the draft in LA.

Old
04-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Would be really odd to trade your pick if you're hosting the draft. I think I recall reading DL joking that Luc begged him not to trade the pick at the deadline, since Luc worked hard to get the draft in LA.
Would make the draft day exciting! Lots-o-trades! hahah

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 05:08 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I think I recall reading DL joking that Luc begged him not to trade the pick at the deadline, since Luc worked hard to get the draft in LA.
If true, that's an interesting perspective.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 05:21 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:

The only way we get Niederreiter is if we traded up.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
My wishlist remains the same. Etem, Watson, or McIlrath.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post

I'm thinking that DL will only move up and use other picks and prospects to fill out the roster. I don't see anything blockbuster, just smart. DL lives for this time and more often than not he chooses correctly.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Fat Elvis

Big numbers from Bjugstad, where is he going to play next season? Rensfeldt put up some numbers.

Every year teams go off the board and guys "rated/slotted" 9-15 always fall and some guys rise.

Old
04-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Big numbers from Bjugstad, where is he going to play next season? Rensfeldt put up some numbers.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/86989637.html

Quote:
Bjugstad, who would have been a junior this year, accelerated his studies in order to graduate in the spring and will play for the Gophers this fall. NHL draft insiders project him to be a first-round pick in June.
Wouldn't be too surprised if he's wearing a Wild sweater on Draft Day. He wouldn't be as big a reach as they did with Nick Leddy last year.

Old
04-26-2010, 09:06 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Tyler Toffoli is pretty sick, he plays for the 67's so I've seen him a couple times.. I don't think he'll be available when we pick, we'll see..

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Hipfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
The only way we get Niederreiter is if we traded up.
I know, a crazy pipe dream, but if he were to fall to the mid-teens then it's possible that he could be acquired. When looking at possible draft options, it's good to look at who could fall and how far.

What has to be considered when looking at a mock draft is that there will probably be 3-5 Euros that will go in the top 15-20 picks (Granlund, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, and possibly Jarnkrok and/or Rensfeldt) as well as a number of players who are top 10 (Hall, Seguin, Fowler, Gudbranson, Connolly, Burmistrov, Forbort).

If Niederreiter goes in the next couple of picks, there's still a lot of talent that then slips further down the draft board like Johansen (Niederreiter's teammate - more offensively talented), Pysyk (real fundamentally sound D-man), Etem (very fast!), Watson (really came into his own in the 2nd half of the year), Sheahan (great prospect, just bad season in college hockey), Howden (good offensive skills), and McIlrath (bigger than his draft board says and has a nasty streak). Any one of these guys could be taken anywhere between that 11-20 mark and would all be good additions to the Kings' talent collection.

If you're looking at dark-horse selections, how about Tyler Pitlick? His dad played NHL and he has decent size and skill; it looks like he's going to play a year of WHL hockey and will be a teammate of another Kings prospect (Linden Vey). He could really surprise with his speed next season and put up big totals in a physical league.

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:01 AM
deano

Quote:
I know, a crazy pipe dream, but if he were to fall to the mid-teens then it's possible that he could be acquired. When looking at possible draft options, it's good to look at who could fall and how far.

What has to be considered when looking at a mock draft is that there will probably be 3-5 Euros that will go in the top 15-20 picks (Granlund, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, and possibly Jarnkrok and/or Rensfeldt) as well as a number of players who are top 10 (Hall, Seguin, Fowler, Gudbranson, Connolly, Burmistrov, Forbort).

If Niederreiter goes in the next couple of picks, there's still a lot of talent that then slips further down the draft board like Johansen (Niederreiter's teammate - more offensively talented), Pysyk (real fundamentally sound D-man), Etem (very fast!), Watson (really came into his own in the 2nd half of the year), Sheahan (great prospect, just bad season in college hockey), Howden (good offensive skills), and McIlrath (bigger than his draft board says and has a nasty streak). Any one of these guys could be taken anywhere between that 11-20 mark and would all be good additions to the Kings' talent collection.

If you're looking at dark-horse selections, how about Tyler Pitlick? His dad played NHL and he has decent size and skill; it looks like he's going to play a year of WHL hockey and will be a teammate of another Kings prospect (Linden Vey). He could really surprise with his speed next season and put up big totals in a physical league.
No way those players all go in the 15-20 spot. I seriously doubt Jarnkrok, Rensfeldt, or Kuznetzov are mid first round picks. They are all very likely late first, or second round prospects. It's a down year for Swedish talent, and the Russian factor will affect all outside of Burmistrov, and MAYBE Tarasenko. But even he may fall a little bit with his proclaimation that he intends on staying in Russia for the next year or two. I'd say the chance to get Niederreiter is slim to none. He's a top ten pick at this point. His stats might not be overwhelming, but they are consistent. Moreover, he has size and intangibles. He's a Getzlaf type, and my biggest fear is that he goes to the Ducks.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Fat Elvis

I know it's somewhere, but I have not seen LA's picks per round in this thread yet.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:08 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
I know it's somewhere, but I have not seen LA's picks per round in this thread yet.
Here you go.

Round Number of Selections and Position
1 One Selection
2 Two Selections
3 Two Selections
4 One Selection
5 One Selection
6 One Selection
7 One Selection

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
http://www.prosportstransactions.com...ture/Kings.htm

Round 1 (1)
Round 2 (2)
Round 3 (2)
Round 4 (1)
Round 5 (1)
Round 6 (1)
Round 7 (1)

Total picks: 9

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:22 AM
SuperAlmeida

I want Kirill Kabanov or Austin Watson to Kings.
Kabanov:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5serUFEcNSI

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 04-27-2010 at 12:47 PM.
SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

If the Kings want a dynamic offensive player, Stanislav Galiev would be a good choice. He's a fast and agile skater with very slick hands and has been playing in North America for a few seasons now.

When watching him skate and shoot, I am reminded of Caps winger Alex Semin. What's funny is, reading an interview with Galiev, he makes mention of Semin being one of his idols.

http://seadogssnippets.blogspot.com/...av-galiev.html

Quote:
"Galiev is very explosive and highly skilled," said western scout Jack Barzee, who watched Galiev in the United States Hockey League last season. "He's a threat every time he's on the ice to score a big goal. Right now though, it's open for debate where he'll go in the draft. I projected him last year as a top guy coming out of the USHL."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523138

Quote:
"We saw him in exhibition games, and I knew then we had a pretty special hockey player," Gallant told NHL.com. "He's got great vision, he's a great playmaker. He's a very highly skilled player."

More than his treasure trove of abilities, Gallant likes the Moscow native's work ethic.

"What I like about him is he's a young player coming over here, and they say they (Russian players) don't play defense hard enough, don't work hard enough or compete hard enough. But he backchecks as hard as anybody on our team, he works as hard as anybody on our team, he hits as hard as anybody on our team. With the skill, he's a hard-working kid."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...vid=nhl-search

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 04-27-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Fat Elvis

Galiev's numbers make him look like he's more of a playmaker than scorer. IMO, LA could really use some goal scorers in the system. Not that he's a bad player, just not sure if he fills a need. DL seems to draft by need over BPA.