Notices

Backstrom & his NTC

Old
04-26-2010, 02:35 PM
se7en
infamous...

vCash: 500
Backstrom & his NTC

Ok, completely hypothetical questions here...

So, I know Backstrom has a NTC & I know he had a bad/down season so his stock isn't neccesarily high right now BUT...

If it were a possibilty to get Backs to waive his NTC and see him traded to another team would you like to see that happen? Or at least be ok with it?

Another question is, would you be comfortable with Harding being our starter? I know that would involve calling someone up or aquiring that Monster 2.0 from europe that we heard about but is this something that you'd be ok with seeing happen?

I persoanlly think I would unless I'm missing something... Now I like Backstrom and all, but with all these cap issues, and the fact that we keep pitching Harding as a starter in waiting, I think I would really like to re-coop some cap space and give Harding the shot he's been waiting for. Hell, maybe even let him duke it out with Kubodin or something for the starting job. If history has taught us anything, I'd say that we've always had success with tandum goaltending. Maybe it's time to see if Fletch can cut the big fish loose...

I wonder how Backstrom would feel about waiving his NTC? It was signed under DR and I'm sure if the right trade offer came along he may be interested.. Again hypothetically, but say the Caps, Red Wings, Sharks or Blackhawks came along with a solid offer, who wouldn't want to play for them!? Does Backstrom love Minny that much or just the job security?

If I was Fletch, I'd maybe just say "Hey Backs, just for fun, give me a list of teams you'd be willing to waive your NTC to go to". Maybe this has already happened but I just know that if there's any chance of making him a little bit more of a trade assest over him being an immovable object, I think we should explore that option if it's a possibility..

Am I crazy? What do you guys think?

*sorry if this has already been covered...I'm new! (I get to use that exuse for like 2 more weeks! haha)

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Jbcraig1883

In all honesty, I think Backstrom is a great goalie. But, I don't see us being a contender in the short-term (2-3 years). I don't know if I would trade him now because of his last season but if there was a good deal, I wouldn't hesitate. I have always thought Harding plays better the more he plays...he's been a winner at every level he's played and having him be the 1a would allow us to use money elsewhere while Hackett/Kuemper/Khudobin develop.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:09 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

No, you answered your own question. Although I don't agree with overpaying for goaltending because fifth through twentieth is essentially the same, you don't sell low and set a bad precedent in the future. Buy low, sell high and continue to have good asset management.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 04:35 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
No, you answered your own question. Although I don't agree with overpaying for goaltending because fifth through twentieth is essentially the same, you don't sell low and set a bad precedent in the future. Buy low, sell high and continue to have good asset management.

I maybe didn't communicate what I was getting at very well...

I didn't mean go shop him right now neccesarily and try to get rid of him for anything we can get, I meant more along the lines of just feeling out Backstrom to see if & for who he'd waive his no trade clause for.

Even tho he had a bad season, You never know what kind of offers we may start getting if a few teams know he's available...

Like I said in the OP, it's all hypothetical anyways, but my point is that it may be nice to know that the NTC is something that we're able to break if the right offer comes along. If our message to the other 29 teams is, "Backstrom is ours, he has a NTC, so don't even ask", we're obviously not going to get many feelers. But if our message is "He/we may be able to waive his NTC if the right offer comes along" who knows what kind of trade options we may get...

As for the Harding part, as a follow up question, I was just asking if people would have faith in him as our starter...

I guess another question I could / should ask is, if a player has a NTC to other teams still inquire about said player or is that a big red flag that says "don't even ask"? I'm curious as to how that all works.

Old
04-26-2010, 04:47 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Like I said in the OP, it's all hypothetical anyways, but my point is that it may be nice to know that the NTC is something that we're able to break if the right offer comes along. If our message to the other 29 teams is, "Backstrom is ours, he has a NTC, so don't even ask", we're obviously not going to get many feelers. But if our message is "He/we may be able to waive his NTC if the right offer comes along" who knows what kind of trade options we may get...

As for the Harding part, as a follow up question, I was just asking if people would have faith in him as our starter...
Once again, you buy low and sell high. If teams know that Backstrom is willing to waive his NTC then you have lower offers compared to someone trying to sell the kitchen sink if they want to break through it. It's like how people always love things they can't have and try harder to get them. But anyways, that's besides the point because you don't break a NTC unless it is dire circumstances (either way it doesn't matter because a NTC gives a player protection and they are the ones in control) and if the Wild really wanted to do that they would just sit Backstrom for most of the year.

Anyways, as far as having faith in Harding starting, I have a lot more faith in Backstrom.

Old
04-26-2010, 05:12 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Once again, you buy low and sell high. If teams know that Backstrom is willing to waive his NTC then you have lower offers compared to someone trying to sell the kitchen sink if they want to break through it. It's like how people always love things they can't have and try harder to get them. But anyways, that's besides the point because you don't break a NTC unless it is dire circumstances (either way it doesn't matter because a NTC gives a player protection and they are the ones in control) .
Good point Gopher, that make sense. I guess I just didn't know if teams still get offers on players that have NTC's. What you said makes complete sense tho.

On a sidenote, Out of curiosity, when does Backs NTC expire? I can't remember for sure but I thought it was 2 seasons with a verbal 3rd season or something like that?

Old
04-26-2010, 06:10 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

his 6 mil/year deal is a NTC itself. I don't see what sort of return we could get without having a bad contract stapled to it.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:32 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
his 6 mil/year deal is a NTC itself. I don't see what sort of return we could get without having a bad contract stapled to it.
another good point...

I just thought you never know who might need a solid goalie & want to drop a expensive contract at the same time..

These are really poor examples but like Philly may need a goalie & might want to get rid of Briere (remember I'm not saying these are good trades!) Or maybe a team like the Islanders or Kings wants a solid goalie for a starter and is willing to give up some prospects & picks since they can handle the cap hit. etc..

Just a poor attempt at thinking outside the box! haha

Old
04-26-2010, 06:43 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Good point Gopher, that make sense. I guess I just didn't know if teams still get offers on players that have NTC's. What you said makes complete sense tho.

On a sidenote, Out of curiosity, when does Backs NTC expire? I can't remember for sure but I thought it was 2 seasons with a verbal 3rd season or something like that?
It's two years and gets extended by hitting various incentives

Old
04-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Koivu is the only player on this team that I would consider "untouchable". Anything else, you listen to and, if the deal is right, you pull the trigger.

That said, it would have to be a VERY favorable deal for what I consider the "2nd tier" guys (Backstrom, Burns, Havlat)

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 08:12 PM
mnwildgophers

I don't see us trading Backstrom, as Gopher said, we don't want to sell low. We want to sell high if possible, and this would be a case of selling low. If he had been under contract last year with a smaller contract, I could see him fetching significant interest, but it'd be in our best interest to keep him and use him to either improve his stock, or to play well enough to get into the playoffs because once you get there, anything can happen.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:01 PM
State of Hockey

If he rebounds next year, I'd certainly consider trading him depending on how the rest of the team is doing. If the team is going nowhere, we're best giving him the option of going somewhere else. It would help both parties. As it stands now, however, I wouldn't trade him. Sell low situation.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:50 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
It's two years and gets extended by hitting various incentives
Yep, so one year left on the full NTC - then it is based on hitting certain statistical marks.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
mnwildgophers

I think Backs will have a good year next year, but I may just be overly optimistic. We had a rough season next year, and I think he's a good goalie. We'll have to wait and see what happens. I don't think he will want to leave unless we are horrible again next year, but in that case, I doubt we would want to trade him because his value would be rather low.

If a goalie is a #1, why would you want to trade him? It's because he is slipping that usually goalies are traded...unless of cap problems, but I doubt we will be having that.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i feel sorry for Backs...Quite the change from the previous regime. so many shots below the hashmarks this year, and it certainly seemed he took more physical abuse. I don't think we should get rid of him because I don't have any faith at all that Harding is good or durable enough to provide equal value at a lower price, and I really don't see any goalie out there looking better in net if we play the way we did last year.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 11:50 AM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I don't think we should get rid of him because I don't have any faith at all that Harding is good or durable enough to provide equal value at a lower price.

shhhhhh! If the other teams hear you saying that we'll never be able to trade Harding!!!