HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need to discuss something - all referee discussion here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2010, 08:47 PM
  #1
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
We need to discuss something - all referee discussion here

So watching this game, I thought the reffing was really bad. The worst playoff reffing i've ever seen. Chris lee wouldn't have been able to make it look easy, that's how bad. Now maybe i'm biased, i'm open to that possibility, but i'm usually a really level headed, impartial hockey viewer (i really thought that interference call that tripped up kostitsyn was a bs call), but can i get your opinions on what you thought of the reffing, just so i know i'm not insane?

edit: also, i didn't mean for this thread to eventually become a ref bashing frenzy, can we get some thoughtful, insightful posts. Thanks.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 08:49 PM
  #2
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,802
vCash: 500
Chris Lee's a terrible ref, but at least he's a moron for both teams.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 08:51 PM
  #3
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,434
vCash: 500
Inconsistent. Not sinister, although as a Habs fan I felt that way at times. Refs were trying too hard to be part of the show.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 08:55 PM
  #4
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
I can understand the first Lapierre diving penalty and I can even understand the second Lapierre diving penalty because they already think he's a diver. But GIONTA??? Are you serious? This guy battles like nobody else and follows the rules to a T and he's penalized for being an alleged cheater??? The second Lapierre diving penalty should not have been called either though. I don't know what the refs expect. Are the Habs not allowed to fall at all anymore? It's friggin hockey, people fall, that's why they wear padding!!!


Last edited by The Gal Pals: 04-26-2010 at 09:38 PM.
The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 08:57 PM
  #5
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,320
vCash: 500
I'm actually afraid that we're going to get screwed by the refs in game 7.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 08:59 PM
  #6
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
So watching this game, I thought the reffing was really bad. The worst playoff reffing i've ever seen. Chris lee wouldn't have been able to make it look easy, that's how bad. Now maybe i'm biased, i'm open to that possibility, but i'm usually a really level headed, impartial hockey viewer (i really thought that interference call that tripped up kostitsyn was a bs call), but can i get your opinions on what you thought of the reffing, just so i know i'm not insane?

edit: also, i didn't mean for this thread to eventually become a ref bashing frenzy, can we get some thoughtful, insightful posts. Thanks.
I wouldn't call it the worst. A few things are clear:

-This game was called by regular season standards. I am actually pro them doing this, I hate the whole "no penalties in playoffs" mentality.

-That said, I hate total and complete inconsistency more. If they're letting most things go for five games, it's absurd to suddenly remember the rules now.

-The Habs MUST have gotten warned about diving in the off days by the league. #1 was a total dive, but #2 and #3 we're more than a bit of a stretch. You could argue it, but not in a game like that. My god.

Honestly, I thought the reffing was normal through two periods. Then things got strange in the third.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:03 PM
  #7
Darth Joker
Registered User
 
Darth Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 500
Gauthier and Martin should file a formal complaint to the NHL, putting them on notice right now. Those diving calls were totally uncalled for.

The refs did everything in their power to put the Caps back in this game.


But there's at least one thing that Bettman and the refs can't do. They can't stop a red hot goalie!

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:05 PM
  #8
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
the call on Gionta, the 2nd on Laps and the call on OB were hilariously bad. NHL refs blow for the most part. I wish we could get Fraser or McCreary, they know how to call games.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:09 PM
  #9
Harry Wong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Its almost like there is 3 forces on the ice now. Good reffing should be controling ithe game without affecting the final outcome.

Harry Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:12 PM
  #10
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut
 
Galchenyuk27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm actually afraid that we're going to get screwed by the refs in game 7.
This. we're going to have to come out of the starting gate hard, fast, and score first again and hope to continue our momentum and Halakamania from tonight.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:14 PM
  #11
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
I've live to watch a lot of hockey in my 4 decades both live and on TV and rarely have I ever had this feeling... Unlike wrestling, I never thought that hockey games could be rigged but tonight was way too obvious. I have never seen a team take 3 diving penalties in a game. Never. In the worst case scenario, I've seen referees "ignoring" a penalty (or a dive) but to put a team in that position in the playoffs? That's just plain ridiculous. Also, the penalty called on O'Byrne was for cross-checking? How is that possible when the guy has his stick on the ice?

You think that the calls were bad in this game? Wait until next game in Washington, especially if the game is tied or if that Habs are leading... Bettman wants Ovechkin to move on and they'll do what they can to see it happen! It's big money for the NHL in the US markets!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:15 PM
  #12
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
So watching this game, I thought the reffing was really bad. The worst playoff reffing i've ever seen. Chris lee wouldn't have been able to make it look easy, that's how bad. Now maybe i'm biased, i'm open to that possibility, but i'm usually a really level headed, impartial hockey viewer (i really thought that interference call that tripped up kostitsyn was a bs call), but can i get your opinions on what you thought of the reffing, just so i know i'm not insane?

edit: also, i didn't mean for this thread to eventually become a ref bashing frenzy, can we get some thoughtful, insightful posts. Thanks.
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the officiating tonight.

I'm frankly puzzled that any Canadiens fan would have an issue with the game.

The two Lapierre diving calls were blatant obvious dives, and usually when that happens, when a player is trying to embarrass an official, it usually leads to tough calls against a team, and in this case it didn't.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:18 PM
  #13
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
So watching this game, I thought the reffing was really bad. The worst playoff reffing i've ever seen. Chris lee wouldn't have been able to make it look easy, that's how bad. Now maybe i'm biased, i'm open to that possibility, but i'm usually a really level headed, impartial hockey viewer (i really thought that interference call that tripped up kostitsyn was a bs call), but can i get your opinions on what you thought of the reffing, just so i know i'm not insane?

edit: also, i didn't mean for this thread to eventually become a ref bashing frenzy, can we get some thoughtful, insightful posts. Thanks.
My only real beef was the dive call on gionta. Can any of you re-call gionta diving to draw a penalty this year? I understand if it was lapierre because you cant give him the benefit of the doubt according to his history, but gionta simply isnt a diver.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:20 PM
  #14
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I can understand the first Lapierre diving penalty and I can even understand the second Lapierre diving penalty because they already think he's a diver. But GIONTA??? Are you serious? This guy battles like nobody else and follows the rules to a T and he's penalized for being an alleged cheater??? The second Lapierre diving penalty should not have been called either though. I don't what the refs expect. Are the Habs not allowed to fall at all anymore? It's friggin hockey, people fall, that's why they wear padding!!!
I cannot understand the first diving penalty to Lapierre. That's the one that gets me. The guy was hit from behind into the boards. He fell to the ice. It's possible one could fake that fall. But how can you call that. People get hit from behind and go down like that all the time. It's not like he took a flying leap. 3 diving penalties in one game seems very excessive. I mean the calls, not taking the penalties. Especially when 2 of them were called when we are up 3-0. Makes no sense.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:22 PM
  #15
Joe Malone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mabou....Wawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
I don't agree with the last two diving calls, but it's better they happen tonight than in a 7th game. In fact, the refs may have done us a favour.....because their calls tonight have eliminated any chance of Lapierre diving Wednesday night.

GO HABS GO!!

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:25 PM
  #16
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
I cannot understand the first diving penalty to Lapierre. That's the one that gets me. The guy was hit from behind into the boards. He fell to the ice. It's possible one could fake that fall. But how can you call that. People get hit from behind and go down like that all the time. It's not like he took a flying leap. 3 diving penalties in one game seems very excessive. I mean the calls, not taking the penalties. Especially when 2 of them were called when we are up 3-0. Makes no sense.
That's one call I agreed with for sure. I saw it 4 or 5 times. Laps clearly threw himself into the boards.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
  #17
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,744
vCash: 500
Take off your glasses and you'll see Washington got jipped too.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
  #18
HABSINCE76
Registered User
 
HABSINCE76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I've live to watch a lot of hockey in my 4 decades both live and on TV and rarely have I ever had this feeling... Unlike wrestling, I never thought that hockey games could be rigged but tonight was way too obvious. I have never seen a team take 3 diving penalties in a game. Never. In the worst case scenario, I've seen referees "ignoring" a penalty (or a dive) but to put a team in that position in the playoffs? That's just plain ridiculous. Also, the penalty called on O'Byrne was for cross-checking? How is that possible when the guy has his stick on the ice?

You think that the calls were bad in this game? Wait until next game in Washington, especially if the game is tied or if that Habs are leading... Bettman wants Ovechkin to move on and they'll do what they can to see it happen! It's big money for the NHL in the US markets!
There has been someone somewhere very high up in key games screwing us since the lockout.They control certain games ive seen it coutless times over the last several years....whenever the Habs start getting to that level they try to knock us down.What ive been trying to figure out is why...we pull in the second most revenue in the league...god dam it we carried the league and the country for years.People are starting to catch on though its got to end they cant hold us down forever.

HABSINCE76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
  #19
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone View Post
I don't agree with the last two diving calls, but it's better they happen tonight than in a 7th game. In fact, the refs may have done us a favour.....because their calls tonight have eliminated any chance of Lapierre diving Wednesday night.

GO HABS GO!!
Gionta didn't dive, did it stop them from calling that?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:37 PM
  #20
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
I cannot understand the first diving penalty to Lapierre. That's the one that gets me. The guy was hit from behind into the boards. He fell to the ice. It's possible one could fake that fall. But how can you call that. People get hit from behind and go down like that all the time. It's not like he took a flying leap. 3 diving penalties in one game seems very excessive. I mean the calls, not taking the penalties. Especially when 2 of them were called when we are up 3-0. Makes no sense.
On the first one he turned and threw himself into the boards (albeit with some help) but I agree with the call on the first dive. The other ones were bogus though.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:40 PM
  #21
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Gauthier and Martin should file a formal complaint to the NHL, putting them on notice right now. Those diving calls were totally uncalled for.

The refs did everything in their power to put the Caps back in this game.


But there's at least one thing that Bettman and the refs can't do. They can't stop a red hot goalie!
This was disgusting. First of all, i can't remember the last time i saw a "diver" getting sent off alone. The guy that makes him "dive" always gets sent off with him. For 3 dives to be called against the same team in a game is one thing--to give the other team 2 PP is incomprehensible. The Refs are lucky we won that game because they would've gotten lambasted otherwise.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
  #22
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,372
vCash: 500
Everywhere threw towels on the ice...security let them. It was beautiful.

Tim Peel forgot to wear his Caps jersey.

Stupid ****ers.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
  #23
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,107
vCash: 500
I could see the first call on Lapierre. But Gionta diving? When does that ever happen? And the 2nd call on Lapierre, fine, but you HAVE to call the Caps player too on that one.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:50 PM
  #24
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Inconsistent. Not sinister, although as a Habs fan I felt that way at times. Refs were trying too hard to be part of the show.
Wrong. Greedy and narrow-minded.

Unless you consider making money as sinister?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:50 PM
  #25
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I've live to watch a lot of hockey in my 4 decades both live and on TV and rarely have I ever had this feeling... Unlike wrestling, I never thought that hockey games could be rigged but tonight was way too obvious. I have never seen a team take 3 diving penalties in a game. Never. In the worst case scenario, I've seen referees "ignoring" a penalty (or a dive) but to put a team in that position in the playoffs? That's just plain ridiculous. Also, the penalty called on O'Byrne was for cross-checking? How is that possible when the guy has his stick on the ice?

You think that the calls were bad in this game? Wait until next game in Washington, especially if the game is tied or if that Habs are leading... Bettman wants Ovechkin to move on and they'll do what they can to see it happen! It's big money for the NHL in the US markets!
I was thinking the same thing. One diving call in a game, okay. Two??..I don't even recall, and now three???..In such an important PO game??...
Usually, the Refs also call two minors, one for embellishment and the other for the actual penalty whether it's a trip or hook or wtv.
But on the #2 even with a clear hook on Lappy, they only called the Dive.

I agree with the O'Byrne call too. That's a play that happens every single time there's action in front of the net. You shove players out of the way.

Like you said, I can live with the usual bad penalties. But to call three dive in a Game 6 especially when two of them are quite far-fetched is something I've never seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Take off your glasses and you'll see Washington got jipped too.
Yes, by Halak, not the Refs.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.