HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need to discuss something - all referee discussion here

Old
04-26-2010, 09:51 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Completely agree with le_sean on this one.

Exactly how I see it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:00 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Wrong. Greedy and narrow-minded.

Unless you consider making money as sinister?
So you think that the referees are deliberately making calls in favour of one team to influence the outcome? That is insane. Do you have any idea how damaging that would be to the league if it ever came to be true?

Referees can have good days, bad days. They can be good, very good, or just plain awful. Never would I ever consider them to be making calls to deliberately cause one team to lose because the "league" wants them to.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the officiating tonight.

I'm frankly puzzled that any Canadiens fan would have an issue with the game.

The two Lapierre diving calls were blatant obvious dives, and usually when that happens, when a player is trying to embarrass an official, it usually leads to tough calls against a team, and in this case it didn't.
A dive is rarely obvious to start with. I've never dived in any game, yet I get tripped all the time, and falling from a stick in your skates/legs is such a frequent thing, no matter how much balance you have.

How many dive calls do you see on average? Very much less than tripping calls, and the reason is simple, tripping a player is something that happens often in one single game.

Now, talking of normality, they usually penalize both players on those plays if they aren't sure who was responsible, in both cases with Lapierre there was an easy reasonable doubt as the other player's stick did trip his skates, both players should've been penalized in both cases as usually happens in this league, even if Lapierre was diving the other player tripped him. But then the kicker is Gio, that was a blatant trip and not a dive. Gio was already moving forward when the stick tripped him completely between his legs. That was a joke of a call to Gio.

Counted at least 3 obvious goalie interference on Halak, oh and sure there's probably an excuse for the cross-check in Markov's back, sending him on Halak as he was catching the puck in the air.

A couple of obstruction/interference calls that weren't made against Washington, yet O'byrne got one as obvious as all these other non-calls.

Habs got lucky on a few non-calls, but nothing much compared, yet again, to a pletora of illegal moves by the Caps that went uncalled.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 04-26-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
So you think that the referees are deliberately making calls in favour of one team to influence the outcome? That is insane. Do you have any idea how damaging that would be to the league if it ever came to be true?

Referees can have good days, bad days. They can be good, very good, or just plain awful. Never would I ever consider them to be making calls to deliberately cause one team to lose because the "league" wants them to.

Not saying they actually do. That's not something I choose to believe because it would tarnish the game I love so much.
But it's not like it hasn't been done before.

Fixed officiating is something that has happened in professional sports.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:04 PM
centrehice

Ya few terribad calls. Gionta diving?? It was a corkscrew! He rolled after getting corkscrewed!! what should he do? Break his legs??

O'Byrnes was bad, Lapierre got a stick to the chin, and just fell down holding his face like 9/10 players do.

Not to mention, how often do you see diving calls, where the other penalty is not called? They call Lapierre and then don't call the highstick?

O'Byrne gets called for interference but moments earlier AK gets taken down in the slot with no call??

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:08 PM
dutchy29

Diving should NOT be a call used in the NHL playoffs as a minor penalty. If you want to dish out coincidentals and give a 10min. unsportsmanlike penalty to get rid of the culprit for awhile and embarras him fine, but leaving such a grey area of wheather a player really falls or dives to the refs is a complete disgrace, and will bet that this is taken out of the game before it gets out of hand. NOBODY wants to see their team win or lose at the hand of a cheap ref. Disgraceful.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

That's what you don't get actually. What you DON'T call can be way more damaging. Those two diving calls, and the trip/dive call on Gio reeked of bias. The many goalie interference that weren't called. Refs aren't scripted for games that's for sure, but they sure are given certain general directives. It looks a lot let obvious when what you do is just call less the bad moves on one team than you do on the other. If you don't want it to show, that's how you do it. Refs ARE calling the game, but they keep their eyes closed when its needed. Calls and non-calls can change the momentum as much as one another.

And eh, greed CAN turn people insane, fame too.

The other bolded part shows again, how you see this in reverse, it's not that they want the Habs to lose, but that they want the Caps to win.

Old
04-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
Ya few terribad calls. Gionta diving?? It was a corkscrew! He rolled after getting corkscrewed!! what should he do? Break his legs??

O'Byrnes was bad, Lapierre got a stick to the chin, and just fell down holding his face like 9/10 players do.

Not to mention, how often do you see diving calls, where the other penalty is not called? They call Lapierre and then don't call the highstick?

O'Byrne gets called for interference but moments earlier AK gets taken down in the slot with no call??
Oh thank you I had forgotten that one. That was both unsportsmanlike, and compared to the OB call, was actually a full blatant interference as AK was nowhere near the puck, whereas the OB call had to be judged as the Caps player had possession of the puck just moments before getting checked.

Think of when Markov got hit from behind by a cross-check, right into Halak, unsportsmanlike, and cross-check and interference on Markov. Nothing called.

People are clueless.

Old
04-26-2010, 10:16 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I've live to watch a lot of hockey in my 4 decades both live and on TV and rarely have I ever had this feeling... Unlike wrestling, I never thought that hockey games could be rigged but tonight was way too obvious. I have never seen a team take 3 diving penalties in a game. Never. In the worst case scenario, I've seen referees "ignoring" a penalty (or a dive) but to put a team in that position in the playoffs? That's just plain ridiculous. Also, the penalty called on O'Byrne was for cross-checking? How is that possible when the guy has his stick on the ice?

You think that the calls were bad in this game? Wait until next game in Washington, especially if the game is tied or if that Habs are leading... Bettman wants Ovechkin to move on and they'll do what they can to see it happen! It's big money for the NHL in the US markets!
This. Unlike myself, you managed to use a more diplomatic approach to the atrocious reffing performance thus far in this series. I think the NHL is trying its hardest to get Ovie into the second round.

bipolarhabfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Nedved

i think we only deserved 2 penalties tonight, maybe 3. we did get away with gorges knocking off the net though. I still can't believe they called gionta, lol. just pathetic. the refs are there to manage a game, not influence an outcome. it's not just this series though, we keep seeing it throughout the playoffs. its just bad reffing in general.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the officiating tonight.

I'm frankly puzzled that any Canadiens fan would have an issue with the game.

The two Lapierre diving calls were blatant obvious dives, and usually when that happens, when a player is trying to embarrass an official, it usually leads to tough calls against a team, and in this case it didn't.
First lappy diving was 100% good call.

Gionta call was total BS. And EVEN if Gionta did intentionally dive, the Caps should be penalized too for tripping for having his stick between Gio's legs. That's how it's called 99.99% of the time.

The 2nd Lappy dive, BS again. But EVEN if he did dive, the Caps player should have been called for interference (holding the shoulder), which was all too obvious. Again, that's how it would have been called 99.99% of the time.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:49 PM
McNuts

It's a conspiracy, and I'm dead serious. It can't be just "bad reffing", you have to want the Habs to lose to call that.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:14 PM
llamateizer

I was at the bell center for the game

but
excluding the diving penalties, it was an ok reffed game

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Varlan

Its not like a whole lot of people have to be involved in a conspiracy. One or two guys at the top being paid generously for their services. Hell even the refs may not be involved. Just schedule someone you know who has an obvious bias against/for a certain team. Done, even the ref doesn't know hes being used. I've seen all kinds of diving this play-offs, some of which have been just as blatant or more blatant than Laps first dive penalty, and yet no penalties.

Varlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:52 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

It's been like this across the board in all the series. We don't have playoffs, we have power plays. I think it completly kills the flow and intensity of the games.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:05 AM
Hammer79

Chris Lee reffed that Montreal game against SJ when Lapierre boarded Nichols, no penalty on the play but Lapierre got suspended... (I'm not a SJ fan or anything, just saying...) You can see Lee skating behind the net watching the play go down...

That said, I'd take Lee any day of the week over Auger

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:09 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Oh thank you I had forgotten that one. That was both unsportsmanlike, and compared to the OB call, was actually a full blatant interference as AK was nowhere near the puck, whereas the OB call had to be judged as the Caps player had possession of the puck just moments before getting checked.

Think of when Markov got hit from behind by a cross-check, right into Halak, unsportsmanlike, and cross-check and interference on Markov. Nothing called.

People are clueless.
Don't forget when we had all kinds of pressure in the Caps end in the third, and the play was whistled down on a phantom high stick and brought all the way down to the Montreal end for a faceoff. I also thought there have been a few missed offside calls this series, but I'm willing to let those slide because usually the linesmen are pretty good and it's easy to make a mistake with how fast the game is.

After watching that debaucle last night, I'm convinced the refs have been told to give every advantage possible to Washington. It just makes too much $$ sense to the league to have Washington get through than Montreal. I'd also be interested in game 7 of Detroit/Phoenix to see how they call that.

Call me crazy all you want, but that joke of a game last night just reinforces my views of the "new" NHL. A complete joke of a league. Reminds me of WWF wrestling.

Go Habs Go - stick it to the league.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:29 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

Tim Donaghy says Hi !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Chris Lee reffed that Montreal game against SJ when Lapierre boarded Nichols, no penalty on the play but Lapierre got suspended... (I'm not a SJ fan or anything, just saying...) You can see Lee skating behind the net watching the play go down...

That said, I'd take Lee any day of the week over Auger
**** that , Nichol embellished and paid the price. Dumb move on his part !

Last edited by Darz: 04-27-2010 at 09:22 AM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:31 AM
Erik Estrada

What to expect on Wednesday:

-Crease-crashing free-for-all on Halak (special no holds-barred rules for one day only).
-Refs will make sure the Caps are penalized for trips, hooks, slashes that contravene 1984-85 playoff regulations.
-Interferences by Ovechkin allowed if the puck is in remote vicinity.
-Charging doesn't exist for home team. Ever.

-Arcane or bizarre rulings improvised against the Habs.
-Refs will make sure the Habs stay in line with the 05-06 pre-season regulations.
-If Caps crowd thinks a rule was broken, it was.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:51 AM
habsjunkie2*

It was the absolute worst officiating I have ever seen. On the Caps goal, 30secs before it happened. I believe it was Fehr had O'Byrne's stick in his hand for 5-10secs and it led to a Caps goal.

The 3 dives absolutely ridiculous, the 2nd dive on Laps was 100% interference and 0% dive, Gionta was tripped for sure.

Someone needs to address this to the league, whether it's us, Martin, Gauthier or whomever, this can't take place in game 7.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
It's as if when the Habs take control of the game, Bettman pulls up the phone and then the refs starts working dirty against the Habs. I know this isnt the case but it sure looks like it.

I think the NHL wants the Caps to go pretty far into the playoffs...

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 06:45 AM
92Rahman

like carbo said the truth will come out soon

reffing was ok but the 2nd and 3rd dive im against as well as boudreau making a ******** comment

92Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Max Levine

I'm okay with Lapierre being called for a dive twice but, on both occasions, there should have been a call for interference. Laps wasn't playing the puck, even on the first one. In the first 5 minutes of the game, they acted as if their intention was to let the players play, meaning they ignored a few calls. So when later on they ended up calling divings, one has to wonder what their real intention was. I'm against this idea of "letting them play". I think it's stupid. Just follow the rules. But if you want to let them play, and you're not going to call the interference, why calling the dive? I remember Carcillo acting as if he had been hit by a high stick last week. Wasn't even close. So the refs didn't call it... but they didn't penalize Carcillo for unsportsmanlike conduct either.

O'Byrne's penalty was a good call. He did cross-check the guy. In fact, the refs missed the interference a few seconds earlier when OB moved his body on the boards to stop the winger from going any further.

As for Gionta's dive, that's a joke. I've seen a dozen of those during the regular season and never seen one being called. The trip was obvious, just call it.

In this series, I am more concerned with the non-calls against the Caps. Except for one or two, all of our penalty calls have been justified. Problem is, they don't call the Caps on all the hooking, slash and interference. Last night, in the span of 5 seconds, they ignored a hook on Pyatt and an interference on Lapierre. But as bad as it was, it was less frustrating than game 2.

I don't believe in a conspiracy. I think some refs are simply being influenced by Washington status: they're supposed to be much better than the Habs, finished the regular season with much more points and goals; they got Ovechkin, Backstom, Semin, Green. They should win. So the refs are more attentive to the Canadiens than they are to the Capitals.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:50 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Bad reffing, clear bias in favor of the Caps in games 2 & 6.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Lucius

Did I miss the distribution of tin foil hats?

Wasn't the best reffing, but there is no grand conspiracy people. Get real.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote