HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Season a pass or a fail??

Old
04-26-2010, 11:06 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Season a pass or a fail??

Well we made it to the playoffs for the fifth time in our 11 year existence. We were able to win a road game in the playoffs for the first time ever.
We were not a top 4 team in the western conference for home ice advantage.
Hornqvist showed up with a remarkable 30 goal season.
Arnott struggled in the playoffs.
Franson had solid rookie season.

Is Hamhuis and Dan Ellis brought back?? I can see Hamhuis, but Dekanich or Pickard will be backup next season I think.

Do we bring in a proven scorer in the offseason to improve on this seasons output, or do we stick with what we have??

Is Trotzy kept on board as head coach?? I think so. Horacek?? I dont.

Overall, on the ups and downs of this season, how do you think we did?? Was this a letdown or a surprise outcome???

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Milly79

Surprise, obviously. I definitely had my doubts coming into the season that we'd get anywhere, and after that brutal start, who wouldn't? We disproved all the haters saying we'd finish so low.

At the same time, how much longer do we keep Trotz on board? I know we limited cap space, but how many more 1st round exits does it take before he's axed? I'm gonna say 1 more, granted we make it to the POs next season.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
If Trotz is fired I'll be pissed. I like Hammer, hopefully we hang on to him.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:13 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
If Trotz is fired I'll be pissed. I like Hammer, hopefully we hang on to him.
Agreed.
I also have to say the season was a pass. I hate to say it because of our crappy playoff knockout. But regular season was good. We finished well.

We have the regular season down pat now, we need some postseason success though.
How will that be achieved??

I agree Trotz stays.

Is anyone currently on roster shipped out?? Anyone new to come to Nashville for postseason success?? Or stay the ship and continue on how we are??

Good season, could have been alot better playoffs!

Old
04-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Que Sera Sera

Season verdict = epic pass.
See what I did there?
I'm going to bed.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Fail ... we had enough talent to get past the first round ... Hornqvist a serious net presence for the first time in our franchise history

Power Play has officially turned into the Flower Play ... 1 for infinity for this series

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:33 PM
OpenWheel

Pass for a hundred point season!

Fail when Joel Ward has the third highest ice time of all our forwards in the huge final playoff game, over 19 minutes. I know why it happened but we aren't going to advance out of the first round when guys like Smithson (over 15) and Ward have to play heavy minutes. I like Ward, but when we depend on third or fourth line guys to play like second line guys or better, it shows our talent level up front. Ward must be our outstanding all-around player as he led all forwards in average ice time at 19:54. Even Legwand spent less time on ice. Kudos to Wardy, but fail at our true talent level.

I think we'll be better next year. Wilson was able to experience the doghouse moments early and learn how hard Trotz expects everyone except Arnott to work when they are on the ice. Poile sould be able to dicker low end assets such as Boyd, Grebs rights, etc. into an upgrade. Too bad we don't really have some young star ready to go. Maybe O'Reilly makes a jump.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 04-26-2010 at 11:52 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:39 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Next year I'd love to see Wilson moved up to the first line, just to see what he does up there. Then move Arnott down to the second line. I think Arnott will be a lot more effective if he doesn't have to play first line minutes. Maybe he can go harder because his ice time will be lower? Wishful thinking?

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by predeuce777 View Post
Next year I'd love to see Wilson moved up to the first line, just to see what he does up there. Then move Arnott down to the second line. I think Arnott will be a lot more effective if he doesn't have to play first line minutes. Maybe he can go harder because his ice time will be lower? Wishful thinking?
very much so wishful thinking

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Predsrule

lets see..
one of lowest payrolls
many experts picked us to finish in last 3 slots in the west...
many of the fans expected the same...
missed playoffs last year..

End up with 100 point session
really close Vs one of the cup faves
had a few good seasons for young players..
Going to end up making money and franchise is steady compared to where it was last years..
Huge pass this year....

next couple of years will be big for the Preds and im excited to see what happens

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:51 PM
icandobetter

Hey sharks fan here, I just want to congratulate you guys on successful season. I really thought you guys weren't even making it to the playoff this year, let alone giving hawks run for their money.

The most frustrating thing I seem was Erat making center pass near end of game 5. I wanted to punch Erat in the face, trust me, I am still not over with him for his idiotic play. I think that was the difference maker in this series.

icandobetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:53 PM
OpenWheel

Good points predsrule. Have to say that the year overall was a win.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Jarnberg

Look, whats that over the hill... oh... Poile threads on their way...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:03 AM
OpenWheel

What's wrong with Poile threads? He gets a lot of credit around here for what he does. Some disagree.

I think he'll improve us for next season. He's got a few assets to dicker and deal.

Old
04-27-2010, 12:06 AM
predfan24

Season- Pass

Playoffs- Fail

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:34 AM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
What's wrong with Poile threads? He gets a lot of credit around here for what he does. Some disagree.

I think he'll improve us for next season. He's got a few assets to dicker and deal.

I would love to see Frolov signed up as a Predator for next season, this team, plus Frolov, could be dangerous. Should/Better be an interesting offseason.

Lookin forward to seeing Wilson, Hornqvist and Rinne in another season to see how much progress is made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Season- Pass

Playoffs- Fail

I agree 100%, and its too bad that the playoffs is what counts.

Old
04-27-2010, 12:42 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Season- Pass

Playoffs- Fail
+5

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:18 AM
WalkmanX

I would say that the season for me is a pass, ok you may argue that we have alot of first round exits and what not, but look at the blue jackets for instance they have been in the playoffs only once, and i would argue that they would give anything to have what we have had and thats a decent amount of playoff hockey...

Also this season for me was a breakout season for alot of our players, Rinne prooved that he is the real deal and will see most of the starts next season, Wilson had a strong regular season, Spaling was great in my mind, Franson was solid aswell, that is alot of people we might have not been sold on, in the beggining of the season, but are now, atleast i am...

Offseason moves, i would love for us to resign Franky, he is great in my mind. Also i would really like us to resign either Hammer or Grebs. For scoring i would like us to bring in Poni. Cant really do much with all the vets still on the payroll, im sure we will see a bigger shakeup after next season with alot of our vets coming off the books...

Coaching, i think Trotz is good and im OK him being behind our players, but the supporting cast needs a shakeup for sure, will see what Poile decides to too tough.

So after all has been said and done, im happy and looking forward to the future.

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:36 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I'd have to lean fail. Not because we underachieved relative to early season expectations but because this was our year to advance to the second round. I don't see a realistic scenario where we are a division winner in the near future. I see us as a perpetual 6, 7, 8 seed if/when we make the playoffs.

And this year was our best opportunity to advance against a Hawks team whose play was rather underwhelming. In the face of such a beatable opponent who was trailing 2-1 in the series, we strung together 3 of our worst defensive performances of the year.

Joel Quenneville and co. are wiping the sweat from their foreheads and thanking the hockey gods they drew the Preds. Most 7 seeds would have taken his series from Chicago, provided going down 3-1 or 3-2 didn't jolt them back into a good hockey team.

I guess it falls into that category of, if you'd been told at the beginning of the season that we'd make the playoffs and push the 2 seed to a game 6, you would have taken it. But with the clarity of hindsight, we could and should have done more.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:13 AM
lugnut76

Quote:
Season- Pass

Playoffs- Fail
Agreed

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:05 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

See, I don't agree with all of the "we weren't supposed to be good this year, so this season was a huge success." I disagreed with the notion that we wouldn't be good, even over the summer. To me, we were a team that was going to have a full season of Steve Sullivan, a lot of similarly-molded dead weight jettisoned off, and no real losses from a team that came close to finishing in sixth LAST season. The "experts" didn't see much to be impressed with, but I think a lot of times they aren't paying all that much attention, if any at all. I think there are people on this messageboard--several in fact--that could smoke even the vaunted Bob McKenzie in analysis of the Nashville Predators. Yet, year after year, everyone is "just so impressed" with the way that Nashville does so much with so little. Is it really so little, though? I look at our lineup, and yeah, our payroll is low...but in terms of on-paper talent, how different is it really from say, Boston? Or Buffalo? There's no real gamebreaking offensive threat in there, and there never has been...so that causes a lot of people to write us off, but the best teams feature a balanced attack. When Arnott, Dumont, Sullivan, Legwand, Erat aren't underperforming...that's a pretty decent set of forwards to build a top six around. But every year, we "overachieve" thanks to the skillful coaching of Barry Trotz. I don't think we overachieve at all, I just don't think we get a lot of respect from the outset, so anything we do is a shock to the outside media.

With all of that said, I think this team had the most components and the best chance to advance of any team in Nashville's history. Unfortunately, the three golfing buddies had woefully disappointing seasons, and there were glaring deficiencies that went ignored for the entire season. How many of our total GA was the Klein\Hamhuis pairing on the ice for, I wonder? I won't even factor in the power play, because it's been rotten for 4 years now. We just never seemed to learn from mistakes, and as a result, we got beaten by similar situations all season. As such...I'd rate the season\playoff combination as a C+. Losing Hornqvist was a lot to overcome in the playoffs, but we were still in the driver seat up until 13 seconds from the end of game 5.

It'll be a long 5 and a half months, that's for sure.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:27 AM
lugnut76

I was one of the predator fans that had low expectations this year for the following reasons;

1. Sully was coming back, but I really didn't think he would hold up for the full season
2. Didn't know if Rinne would have a sophmore slump (ie Steve Mason)
3. Didn't know where the scoring would come from and had no idea that Hornquist would put up 30 goals
4. Worried that some of our core players (Dumont, Sully, Arnott) would start to show some age
5. I didn't know what we had in Klein, Franson, and Boullion
6. Smithson is still on the roster and playing
7. Lost a couple of good penalty killers (Fiddler, Nichol, and Ortmeyer when healthy)

Tough some of these concerns will carry into next season, I do have higher expectations after this year.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Paincakes

Season: Pass
Playoffs: Loads of Fail. Oh well though. I'll be back next year and if by chance they make the postseason again I'll be cheering them on again as if this never even happened. Despite the fact that the Predators are the new Whalers. The new "Forever .500s"

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Que Sera Sera

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
5. I didn't know what we had in Klein, Franson, and Boullion
I think all those guys have been great, especially Bouillon.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Webersmashpuck

The season gets a pass from me, we were literally a few bounces away from being in the 2nd round with our top scorer out essentially the whole series. We got the monkey off of our back about not winning a road playoff game. 100 point season. Pretty much everyone of us would have been super exciting to know what we did at the beginning of the year.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote