HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

WCSF: #2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #3 Vancouver Canucks: Series Preview and Discussion

Old
04-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Agent007

vCash: 500
The Hawks defence is the only area where they've got a potential significant advantage.

Keith
Seabrook
Hjalmarsson
Sopel
Cambell
Byfuglien
Hendry
Boynton

vs.

Edler
Ehrhoff
Bieksa
Salo
SOB
Alberts
Rome
Baumer/Nycholat

We've got the advantage in goal and we've got a slight advantage up front as well. The defence is going to have to step it up big time if we want to win this series.

Either way I see another hard fought 6 or 7 game series.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Nah, 3 goals for in Games 4 and 5 is much more noteworthy than leaving your offensive outburst for one run and gun game 6.
Right cuz everyone knows elimination games are not as important The Canucks had a 5-4 lead well into the 3rd in game 6. It should've been over, but we, the media and fans across the league all knew what happened after that.

Quote:
They were reduced to trying to win 1-0 in Game 4 and 2-1 in Game 5 but yeah, offense was just peachy.
Did you even watch those games? What an absurd comment. Both teams were playing a tight checking, close to the vest strategy. Something that most knowledgeable people know happens in more than a few playoff games. Maybe the fact that Chicago was playing the same type of game escaped your notice.

Eukaryote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:06 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukaryote View Post
Right cuz everyone knows elimination games are not as important The Canucks had a 5-4 lead well into the 3rd in game 6. It should've been over, but we, the media and fans across the league all knew what happened after that.

Did you even watch those games? What an absurd comment. Both teams were playing a tight checking, close to the vest strategy. Something that most knowledgeable people know happens in more than a few playoff games. Maybe the fact that Chicago was playing the same type of game escaped your notice.
The Canucks couldn't keep up with the Hawks offensively so they resorted to playing a 1-2-2 and trying to win 1-0 or 2-1. Vigneault said as much in the press. Whenever they opened it up against the Hawks in games, they got burned.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:12 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
get ready for a lot of Flame trolls
Sorry, I don't talk to rednecks.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
This is going to be the best series of the entire playoffs bar none. Two incredibly skilled teams that absolutely cannot stand each other.

I can't wait. Revenge will be sweet. This will be a long series, though. 6 or 7 games for SURE.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Hawk fans :

Niemi > Luongo

They're in for a rude awakening

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:16 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I don't really care who we face this round. If we're Cup contenders, we'll win this series. If we're good enough to win it all, then we will beat this Chicago team. I think we'll find out in this series whether we're contenders, or if it's just another season in which we're good, maybe very good, but not good enough - a common refrain for Canuck fans most of the past two decades.

This is actually the wrong view but I wont bother arguing it cuz a lotta people on this forum think this way.

Winning the Cup is often about luck. It is often about the third best team coming out of a Conference because Number 1 and 2 played each other for 7 games and knocked the stuffing out od each other.. and whomever emerged had no energy, lotsa injuries, and easy prey for Number 3.

Sure Canucks versus Hawks will be entertaining, but as a Nuck fan do you wanna be entertained or just win?

This is the worst possible matchup for Vancouver. Chicago will either beat em or exhaust them. Chicago is a real superpower of the West and it would've been far far better for Vancouver if Chicago had managed to get matched up against Sharks or Wings in the 2nd round, and exhausted themselves getting thru to the 3rd round.

The only thing worse wouldve been if somehow Canucks had got Chicago in the first round instead of LA.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Eukaryote

Quote:
The Canucks couldn't keep up with the Hawks offensively so they resorted to playing a 1-2-2 and trying to win 1-0 or 2-1. Vigneault said as much in the press. Whenever they opened it up against the Hawks in games, they got burned.
Nice false attribution there, AV did not say or imply "The Canucks couldn't keep up with the Hawks offensively" The Canucks believe they should have won that series. I think they should have as well and I think the reason they lost it was because they didn't get the goaltending they needed when it counted and their D made some big mistakes. An opinion that many others have echoed. Offense was not the main problem.

I expect, just like last year and the regular season, the Nucks and Hawks will play some low scoring games in their next series.

Old
04-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Slickwilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

IMO the winner of this series will go on to win the Stanley cup.
SJ, Det/Phx might have something to say about that... but dare to dream. Go Canucks

Slickwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:21 AM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
Since it the hawks...would grabner be playing with his great speed! That could one/two fast speedy lines..... Line 2 and Line 4

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:22 AM
opendoor

Quote:
The Canucks could have had a stranglehold on the series if they'd managed more than 1 goal in game 4.

Look at the LA-Vancouver series. Which do you think played a bigger role in the Kings' demise, blowing the lead in game 4, or blowing it in game 6? The Kings were never the same after they blew game 4 and were thrown off their game. By the same token, the Canucks were never the same after blowing game 4 vs. Chicago and never really recovered from that. The whole momentum of both series changed because of a poor game 4s by the series losers and the game 6 eliminations were merely the culmination of that shift.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
This is a completely ass backwards analysis. We got burned every time we tried to turtle. When we played run and gun with them we roasted them - badly.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:28 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Nice false attribution there, AV did not say or imply "The Canucks couldn't keep up with the Hawks offensively" The Canucks believe they should have won that series. I think they should have as well and I think the reason they lost it was because they didn't get the goaltending they needed when it counted and their D made some big mistakes. An opinion that many others have echoed. Offense was not the main problem.

I expect, just like last year and the regular season, the Nucks and Hawks will play some low scoring games in their next series.
It wouldn't surprise me to see 2 high-scoring teams playing some tightly contested low-scoring games at all 'cos we're aware of each other's offense. A lot of people think that just because 2 teams who scored a lot of goals in the regular season meet up it'll be a wild and hairy run-and-gun affair.

IMO last year the main reason we lost was because we sat back too much (see: Game 4, with a 1-0 lead for 57 mins), and as a result they took it to us. Retreating into a total defensive shell does not work anymore, and you have to take it to the opponent as well.

I'm not saying that we should be playing all wide open with them, because I think we can still take it to them AND play well defensively too, while keeping up the pressure on them. If we can find a way to keep playing hard and not let up on them, then I think we have a good chance of beating them.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Winning the Cup is often about luck. It is often about the third best team coming out of a Conference because Number 1 and 2 played each other for 7 games and knocked the stuffing out od each other.. and whomever emerged had no energy, lotsa injuries, and easy prey for Number 3.
The Leastern conference biggest advantage: Teams coming out the much superior West have to play through Hell to make it to the finals.
Quote:
Sure Canucks versus Hawks will be entertaining, but as a Nuck fan do you wanna be entertained or just win?
And the smart answer is: just win. Who's cares how, just do it.
Quote:
This is the worst possible matchup for Vancouver. Chicago will either beat em or exhaust them. Chicago is a real superpower of the West and it would've been far far better for Vancouver if Chicago had managed to get matched up against Sharks or Wings in the 2nd round, and exhausted themselves getting thru to the 3rd round.
I couldn't agree more. The Sharks, Phoenix, and Wings should be rejoicing. None of the possible matchups on that side of the bracket will have anywhere near the level of blood feud the Canucks and Hawks series will produce.

Old
04-27-2010, 12:30 AM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
That's my point. It should be the same for Chicago. It won't be.
Cause there is a game 7 going Wednesday.. They ALWAYS have a day off between the end of a round and the start of a new one.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:36 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The Canucks could have had a stranglehold on the series if they'd managed more than 1 goal in game 4.

Look at the LA-Vancouver series. Which do you think played a bigger role in the Kings' demise, blowing the lead in game 4, or blowing it in game 6? The Kings were never the same after they blew game 4 and were thrown off their game. By the same token, the Canucks were never the same after blowing game 4 vs. Chicago and never really recovered from that. The whole momentum of both series changed because of a poor game 4s by the series losers and the game 6 eliminations were merely the culmination of that shift.
The moral of the story: don't blow Game 4. It'll cost ya the rest of the series, with it all ending in Game 6.

All kidding aside, I thought it was also eerie to see that what happened to us last year also happened to the Kings this time around. Losing that chance to go up 3-1 really did seem to rattle last year's team and this year's Kings. If there's one thing I've come to realize, it's that momentum shifts within the game are really significant, but other psychological effects can also carry over between games. The mental side of sports is just so absolutely huge. Like confidence - it's a wonderful thing to have, but it sucks so much when you don't have it. Yet it's all within your mind.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the lack of Sami Pahlsson this year; that guy just owns the Sedins all over the place.

Seabrook has regressed and Sopel is one of the Hawks best PKers. Honestly, I think their blue line took a serious step backwards this year outside of Keith.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:40 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the lack of Sami Pahlsson this year; that guy just owns the Sedins all over the place.

Seabrook has regressed and Sopel is one of the Hawks best PKers. Honestly, I think their blue line took a serious step backwards this year outside of Keith.
and Keith may be their most disappointing defender through the first round.

Interesting discussion Hawks fans have had about Keith during the first round:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=768335

according to many Hawks fans, Hjalmarsson has been their best dman so far in the playoffs, while Keith has been their worst, followed closely by Seabrook.

hopefully he keeps it up through round #2.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:48 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post
This is a completely ass backwards analysis. We got burned every time we tried to turtle. When we played run and gun with them we roasted them - badly.
Huh? Losing 6-3 and 7-5 was roasting them????

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:59 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

All I want is for Patrick Kane to be caught outside in the pouring rain with every cab driver in Vancouver knowing exactly who he is.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:03 AM
David71

who will be the guy that will step up in this series?

For me it's ryan kesler and his unit.
sedins will continue to their work. but their line with sammy did most of the damage to the kings. Now it's time to take off some pressure off the sedin unit, because you know seabs/keith will be the assignment against them. kesler can get the secondary pairings of the hawks.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:05 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Hawks didn't really impress me in round one, but at times we weren't impressive either. Both teams are obviously going to rise to the occasion here.

Will be interesting to see w/ Byfuglien, who is playing defense now. You can bet he'll resume his spot in front of Luongo on the PP, although Brouwer has been there at times too.

Niemi was great at times, awful at others. Huge edge in goal.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:08 AM
hlrsr

I realize we all like to buy into the whole "never sit in a defensive shell because it'll bite you" thing, but to me game 4 last year wasn't your usual defend a lead situation.

That was probably the best I've seen the Canucks defend a lead since the lockout. Seriously. It wasn't like we were sitting there and the Hawks just took it to us at all. The shots in the 3rd period were 7-4, hardly a dominating period by a pressing Hawks team. It was just an odd game.. it was like the defensive play was so effective that the players just bought into it more and more as the game went on. Ultimately it was just a brainfart by Mitchell that gave Havlat a good chance that unfortunately went in. I realize you're playing with fire defending a 1-0 lead for that long, but that game was different for me because the shell was just so effective for so long. Much more so than what we usually see when a team sits back a bit and the other team presses to tie it.

In that particular situation, I just have a harder time blaming the offense for not scoring more. The Canucks were still controlling that game, even without sustained offensive pressure.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I hope that Edler can line up and nail Kane. Just get those players thinking before they come over the line.

One thing I like about the Canucks is they do remind me a bit of the redwings, save Luongo in net. Alot of overall talent and they do play a similar system.

I love how all Hawks fans are saying Niemi is better than Luongo. Just unbelievable.

Friday can't come soon enough. Just no injuries to the Canucks D. That is all I ask. If they stay healthy, Canucks will win this series.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Elliot20

Predictions:

----heading to Chi-town----
Game 1: Chicago takes 1-0 lead
Game 2: Vancouver ties at 1
----heading to Vancity-----
Game 3: Vancouver takes lead 2-1
Game 4: Chicago ties at 2