HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF: #2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #3 Vancouver Canucks: Series Preview and Discussion

Old
04-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Zombotron
WD-57

vCash: 500

Heh.

Zombotron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:16 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I hope Edler translates his physical play from the LA series to this one. Guys like Kane and Toews need to be kept honest when they're cutting through the middle towards our net.

I seem to remember quite a few cheapshots going uncalled last year...Eager's late hit on Rypien, Ladd's elbow to Kesler's face(and I think Edler got high sticked and bloodied later that same game?) Hopefully the refereeing is consistent(unlikely...) and the Canucks remain disciplined.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Huh? Losing 6-3 and 7-5 was roasting them????
We started every game with guns blazing and pounded them. It wasn't until AV put the team into full defensive mode that they started coming back every single game.

Game 6 was the only exception to this, a game that we may have lost but badly outplayed Chicago and only lost because Luongo had one of the worst games of his career.

If we go toe to toe with Chicago we will have a significant edge, just like we did last year.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:36 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

The first and third lines have been doing their jobs in the playoffs. The second line I want to see more of this series. Raymond-Kesler-Burrows need to up their play this series and create havoc for the Hawks. Kesler is now secured with his new contract kicking in next season, Burrows is locked in and this could be some serious cheddar for Raymond to up his value..

LET'S GO!

EpochLink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:42 AM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
I realize we all like to buy into the whole "never sit in a defensive shell because it'll bite you" thing, but to me game 4 last year wasn't your usual defend a lead situation.

That was probably the best I've seen the Canucks defend a lead since the lockout. Seriously. It wasn't like we were sitting there and the Hawks just took it to us at all. The shots in the 3rd period were 7-4, hardly a dominating period by a pressing Hawks team. It was just an odd game.. it was like the defensive play was so effective that the players just bought into it more and more as the game went on. Ultimately it was just a brainfart by Mitchell that gave Havlat a good chance that unfortunately went in. I realize you're playing with fire defending a 1-0 lead for that long, but that game was different for me because the shell was just so effective for so long. Much more so than what we usually see when a team sits back a bit and the other team presses to tie it.

In that particular situation, I just have a harder time blaming the offense for not scoring more. The Canucks were still controlling that game, even without sustained offensive pressure.
I completely disagree, we were playing well defensively, but despite the low shot total Chicago was still getting good chances.

The reality is that playing a balanced smart game, making smart choices that play the odds well has ALWAYS been the best way to play. Winning hockey has changed somewhat because the odds of any paticular play working has changed somewhat with the rules.

AV s a HORRIFIC playoff coach because he doesn't get that. He has his system that hes completely in love with and he is incapable of deviating from it regardless of the situation. The only reason hes still with the team was that he told Gillis that he could adjust his system to something more offensive (what Gillis wanted). He hasn't adjusted his system, its still the same system he just doesn't force the players to adhere to it as rigidly until the going gets tough and then he clamps down as if that gives us a better chance of winning.

Were talking about a coach who took basically 3 games to make an adjustment to his PK that should have took place during an intermission or at worst for the next game.

His wait till things even out approach may seem to work in the regular season but in the playoffs you have to be on top of adjustments and he seems completely incapable of doing that.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:06 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post
I completely disagree, we were playing well defensively, but despite the low shot total Chicago was still getting good chances.

The reality is that playing a balanced smart game, making smart choices that play the odds well has ALWAYS been the best way to play. Winning hockey has changed somewhat because the odds of any paticular play working has changed somewhat with the rules.

AV s a HORRIFIC playoff coach because he doesn't get that. He has his system that hes completely in love with and he is incapable of deviating from it regardless of the situation. The only reason hes still with the team was that he told Gillis that he could adjust his system to something more offensive (what Gillis wanted). He hasn't adjusted his system, its still the same system he just doesn't force the players to adhere to it as rigidly until the going gets tough and then he clamps down as if that gives us a better chance of winning.

Were talking about a coach who took basically 3 games to make an adjustment to his PK that should have took place during an intermission or at worst for the next game.

His wait till things even out approach may seem to work in the regular season but in the playoffs you have to be on top of adjustments and he seems completely incapable of doing that.
I can't believe how off base you are with so many things here. AV hasn't adjusted his system???? I don't know how you have watched the Canucks over the last few years and can make that claim.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

I am so not looking forward to this series. Chicago is just a better team overall except goalie.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:16 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
I am so not looking forward to this series. Chicago is just a better team overall except goalie.
I'm puzzled as to why people say things like this. Look at NFiTO's original post and you'll see that our top 5 scorers outproduced theirs, man for man.

I'd say both teams are about even. The Canucks have the edge in forwards and in goal, while the Hawks have the edge in defence and special teams.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:49 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
and Keith may be their most disappointing defender through the first round.

Interesting discussion Hawks fans have had about Keith during the first round:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=768335

according to many Hawks fans, Hjalmarsson has been their best dman so far in the playoffs, while Keith has been their worst, followed closely by Seabrook.

hopefully he keeps it up through round #2.
If Kieth and Seabrook are the Hawks worst d-men the Canucks should win this series no problem.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:09 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

The Sedins likely won't have a shutdown line against them in this series, unless the Hawks decide to use the Ladd-Bolland-Versteeg line against them, which likely isn't going to be as strong a shutdown until as what they faced against Handzus. Madden is probably their best shutdown center, but he's been playing on the 4th line with Brouwer and Burish... if the Hawks decide to use that line against the Sedins, I have faith the Sedins will carry the play.

My guess is that it's the Kopecky-Sharp-Hossa line that plays against the Sedins... they are all good defensive players, but without a focused shutdown game against that line, the Sedins should have more room than they've had in any playoff series over the past few years, where there always seems to be one line who's job it is to solely shut them down... and again, the Hawks top pair had a pretty bad series against Nashville, and the Sedins and Samuelsson should be head and shoulders above the Preds top offensive guys.

Could be (hopefully) a coming out party for the Sedins in the playoffs... while it should have been the last round, people are going to write off their accomplishments until they do it against a top end team.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:35 AM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post

All I really want to know is what does

Quote:
even mean?

Aside from that, as already mentioned, if you can't see that AV adjusted his system once he got more offensive players, then I'm not too sure what to tell you...

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:36 AM
potatoetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
A thought on Butt-fugly.

If it wasn't for that brutal giveaway that led to the spectacular Luongo save, I'd say Andrew Alberts was pretty good the last two games.

Of course, he was benched in the 3rd because of the gaffe (and because we needed some offense from the backend) so it's hard to say, but if anybody's going to make Byfuglien's life in front of Luongo miserable, it'll be Alberts. I hope.
maybe alberts did it on purpose it was all a devious plan to swing momentum to our side

potatoetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:54 AM
timw33

Really hope we can get some softies against Niemi and rattle him in game 1.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Zombotron
WD-57

Got bored; this was the result.

Zombotron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Tiranis

I'm kind of happy we're starting on the road — it gives us a chance to put pressure on the Hawks if we win one of the games there, especially if it's the first one. Might be an advantage in a series like this (given the history between the two teams).

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Connecticut

A couple of preliminary thoughts:

I think this series will suit Kesler and Burrows better than the last one. Against LA they didn't really have anyone to shut down, and to the extent that they did, it was the Kopitar line which attacked with size along the boards, which is not our forte defensively. They're much better suited to shutting down guys like Toews and Kane who beat you with speed and skill, and they'll be super motivated to do it after they weren't up to it last year.

The second thing is that I hope we've exhausted our store of terrible puck luck and lousy officiating. We're not the only team that suffered from this in round 1, but we can't afford too much of it against Chicago and it would certainly be nice to get some bounces going our way -- Sami's broken stick leaving the puck on Daniel's stick and into the back of the net for the series winner is a great start.

Goaltending. This advantage by itself is big enough to win us the series if we play our cards right. We need to go to the net against Niemi and not allow the Hawks to stifle our shot totals and protect him from rebounds. Take a page out of Smyth's book and Byfuglien's and crash the crease. Conversely, we need to crush the crease crashers coming at Luongo. My secret plan is to play Alberts in game one and have him demolish Byfuglien as soon as he comes near Luongo -- he gets suspended for the rest of the series and it's a win-win for us

Connecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Solidius

Canucks in 6

Solidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Vman

I'm concerned about Byfuglien. He might be back to forward for the next series and be right in front of Luongo. So the Canucks better deal with him better this time.

Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Captain Charisma*

anyone watch the preds-hawks series...I dont really think the Neimi was tested all that much to be honest.

The preds had 3 PP's last night in the 3rd and couldnt muster out any real type of quality shots. It will be different with the Nucks.

Very curious to see how this Neimi pans out when under fire. Goaltending will be the diff in this series.

Captain Charisma* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
I'm concerned about Byfuglien. He might be back to forward for the next series and be right in front of Luongo. So the Canucks better deal with him better this time.
According to HNIC the league has issued a memo to crack down on goaltender interference during the post-season.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:54 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
All I want is for Patrick Kane to be caught outside in the pouring rain with every cab driver in Vancouver knowing exactly who he is.
I'll settle for him getting creamed by Edler or Bieksa.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Wetcoaster

Offensively - the Sedin line is going to get its chances. The key will be the Kesler line stepping up. Kesler, Raymond and Burrows did not have a strong first series.

The third line needs Demitra and Bernier to continue to play as they did later in the Kings series. Wellwood needs to quit making dinky little dump passes that get the other player in trouble to avoid taking a hit.

The D will need to continue to pinch down and the forwards must support the D.

Forecheck pressure on the Hawks D will be critical so they do not get time and space to make an easy first pass out of the zone or be able to carry it out unopposed. Forcing turnovers and using a strong transition game is the best way to negate the Hawks speed. If the Canucks do not do this, look for a steady diet of Hossa and Kane waiting at the Canucks blue line for a stretch pass.

The PK HAS to improve. Even against the Hawks sputtering PP.

Luongo needs to be past his consistency issues and put together a string of strong games. On the PK he will have to be the best penalty killer. He has to contine to come up with the big save when it has been needed - be "Great save Luongo" worthy.

On the D - Edler needs to keep up his physical play, Ehrhoff needs to get back to regular season Ehrhoff, Salo needs to continue being steady and avoid getting hurt, Bieksa needs to get interested in playing, Shane O'Brien needs to keep his emotions at a high level BUT under control while avoiding brain cramps. It would also help if Aaron Rome's ankle is rehabbed. If Alberts has to play then he needs to stay in position and use his strength to box out opposing forwards.

Of course the Hawks know what the Canucks have to do and this series looks like a 6-7 game war that is too close to call.

The key for the Hawks is Niemi. If he falters as Quick did then the hawks are in tough.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
MKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
Predictions:

----heading to Chi-town----
Game 1: Chicago takes 1-0 lead
Game 2: Vancouver ties at 1
----heading to Vancity-----
Game 3: Vancouver takes lead 2-1
Game 4: Chicago ties at 2
----heading back to Chi-town-----
Game 5: Vancouver takes it 3-2 convincingly
----heading back to Vancity-----
Game 6: Vancouver wins series 4-2 in OT

I hope you're right!

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:20 AM
chris11inter

I am really hoping to buy a pair of tickets to one their home games against the Hawks… I’m from Edmonton, and my buddy is a huge Hawks fan(me- Canucks of course). Any idea of the schedule for the upcoming series?

We would have to book flights and everything, so I would like to know dates before I go and buy tickets.

If the series starts Friday.. I would assume the Canucks two home games would be Tuesday & Thursday????

Any idea?

PLEASE HELP !!

chris11inter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
I am really hoping to buy a pair of tickets to one their home games against the Hawks… I’m from Edmonton, and my buddy is a huge Hawks fan(me- Canucks of course). Any idea of the schedule for the upcoming series?

We would have to book flights and everything, so I would like to know dates before I go and buy tickets.

If the series starts Friday.. I would assume the Canucks two home games would be Tuesday & Thursday????

Any idea?

PLEASE HELP !!
Yet to be confirmed.

All we know is the series starts Friday night in Chicago.