HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

This year's veteran leadership vs. last year's

Old
04-27-2010, 07:16 AM
BulldogFever

vCash: 500
This year's veteran leadership vs. last year's

I hate to kick a dead horse but watching last night's game that's all I could think of. These vets lead by example. Cammy, Gomez, Gio, Moen, Gill, Moore. Could anyone see last year's crew step up like this? I doubted these signings, what were they thinking of? And Jacques Martin (is this guy still around?). But they all proved me wrong. As a bonus, they are actually showing the young guys how you have to play to be successful. I am sure that everyone else caught Gorges playing Gill's octopus style on the 5 on 3.

BTW, of all the ex-habs, only Schneider is still in the playoffs.

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:20 AM
davepeak
Too many pools

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogFever View Post
I hate to kick a dead horse but watching last night's game that's all I could think of. These vets lead by example. Cammy, Gomez, Gio, Moen, Gill, Moore. Could anyone see last year's crew step up like this? I doubted these signings, what were they thinking of? And Jacques Martin (is this guy still around?). But they all proved me wrong. As a bonus, they are actually showing the young guys how you have to play to be successful. I am sure that everyone else caught Gorges playing Gill's octopus style on the 5 on 3.

Don't forget Robert Lang. I didn't followed him this season, but he helped us a lot last year before his barbershop jersey injury.

davepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:42 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:

Not to be rude, but this couldn't be more wrong. Along with Mathieu Schneider there is bunch more guys, including;

1. Jose Theodore
2. Robert Lang
3. Michael Ryder
4. Steve Begin
5. Cristobal Huet
6. Mark Recchi
7. Aaron Asham
8. Shawn Thornton

There may be another player or two, but that's all I can recall from memory.

If you just mean last year's edition of the team, Robert Lang is still playing with Phoenix and IMO, was a bigger part of the team last year than Schneider. Steve Begin also played quite a few games with us last year, even if he didn't finish the season with us.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:48 AM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Not to be rude, but this couldn't be more wrong. Along with Mathieu Schneider there is bunch more guys, including;

1. Jose Theodore
2. Robert Lang
3. Michael Ryder
4. Steve Begin
5. Cristobal Huet
6. Mark Recchi
7. Aaron Asham
8. Shawn Thornton
Number 8 is wrong but Jay Leach is till there

Last edited by kent_carlson: 04-27-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Added the valuable Leach
kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:56 AM
davepeak
Too many pools

Ok, we're all nitpicking, but on topic, yes, Gainey build a team with better leadership than last year. Cup winners, good veterans. Oh noes we still don't have a captain!

davepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:57 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

1. Jose Theodore
2. Robert Lang
3. Michael Ryder
4. Steve Begin
5. Cristobal Huet
6. Mark Recchi
7. Aaron Asham
8. Shawn Thornton
The title says this year vs last year. Not all time.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Wow, either you have no clue what you're talking about or you have no memory.

Go check out 2004 and 2002.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:05 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
The title says this year vs last year. Not all time.
Yes, but it said of all ex-habs. Still, Lang and Begin are in the playoffs from last year's edition of the team as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
Number 8 is wrong but Jay Leach is till there
Wow, I think I just had a Brisebois esque brainfart. Totally thinking of Scott Thornton, who has been retired forever. Haha, thanks for reminding me of Jay Leach though.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:18 AM
saints96

We have Gomez Gionta, Moen, Gill..these guys are warriors and winners. That's all i have to say

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:22 AM
jcpenny

Last year, half of the team was injured during the playoffs. An healthy line up would have changed a lot of things last year.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:43 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Last year, half of the team was injured during the playoffs. An healthy line up would have changed a lot of things last year.
I agree. Also, Halak in net and playing like he has in this years playoffs would have made a HUGE difference as well. This years team is basically 100% dependent on him to win.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:51 AM
onice

Quote:

I don't know what games you've been watching but I know the 3 games that Halak won they had nothing to do with leadership. Give the previous teams the same goaltending that Halak provided in those three games and you would be singing another song.

The main reason we're tied with the Caps is because we've been getting Dryden/Roy level goal tending. Has very little to do with better leadership.

You realize that in last night's game halak face I think 55 shots. Another 20 something missed the net and another 20 something hit something on the way to the net. That is not stellar leadership. Hell, the Leafs could have won a game or two against the Caps if they had Halak in goal.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:02 AM
TankEller*

21 years old Habs fan here, I've been following this team for now more than a decade, but I can honestly say I've NEVER seen a player like Cammalleri on this team before this season. There are other great guys like Gionta, Gomez and cie., but Cammalleri is a born winner... This guy is a real one.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:31 AM
shutehinside

I think the biggest difference of our core of players this year is that they've won cups before (Gomez, Gio, Gill, Moen) and know what it takes to win. Add to that they're younger and faster then last years cast offs and you get a game 7 when we could have won it in 6.

I agree with Beaudreu that if we get past them, we may actually have a shot at the Finals. I really like what this team is showing and due to the injuries they've had to key memebers for prolonged periods of the year, most of our skilled players are actually still relatively fresh. Add to that played less physical teams like Washington and Pittsburgh and facing Philly/Boston in the ECF will be much easier once they've beaten themselves to a pulp.

Not to look past game 7 as it would be a miracle to win it, but damn this team has really impressed me. To all the nay saying, tank at mid season, blow it up and trade the core, fire Martin and Gainey sucks.... I guess you're not as smart as you thought you were. Even if we lose game 7, we took the best team in the NHL to the very limit and that alone has earned my respect for them. Winning it is just the cherry on top.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Habsfanatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
21 years old Habs fan here, I've been following this team for now more than a decade, but I can honestly say I've NEVER seen a player like Cammalleri on this team before this season. There are other great guys like Gionta, Gomez and cie., but Cammalleri is a born winner... This guy is a real one.
Your too young to have seen Richer, Lafleur and Damphouse then.. maybe all not in the same mold or category but all had dynamite seasons in Habbieland IMO

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I don't know what games you've been watching but I know the 3 games that Halak won they had nothing to do with leadership. Give the previous teams the same goaltending that Halak provided in those three games and you would be singing another song.

The main reason we're tied with the Caps is because we've been getting Dryden/Roy level goal tending. Has very little to do with better leadership.

You realize that in last night's game halak face I think 55 shots. Another 20 something missed the net and another 20 something hit something on the way to the net. That is not stellar leadership. Hell, the Leafs could have won a game or two against the Caps if they had Halak in goal.
Sorry, I didn't know leadership had the power of preventing the other team to shoot

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:40 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

So, who is going to lift the Cup?

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Habsfanatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on3 View Post
So, who is going to lift the Cup?
Every player on the team !!!

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:50 AM
E = CH²

Nice to see them giving effort and not giving up, but I think we've definitely seen that from other teams we have had. And the difference is most definitely goaltending. Halak has a .931 save % and a 2.75GAA. That should give you an idea how many shots he's facing.

The effort was just as good against the flyers 2 years ago, but goaltending was the difference. Biron and his posts vastly outplayed Price and everything the flyers did went in. There's no amount of leadership that can change such a vast difference in goaltending and luck/bad luck.

As for 2009, no Markov, no tanguay, injured tanguay, no lang, no schneider, the difference between Price and Halak against a team that was out for revenge for all the upsets we pulled on them in the first round and there you go. We didn't provide much of an effort but that series last year was over before it started, we never stood a chance, effort or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Sorry, I didn't know leadership had the power of preventing the other team to shoot
It certainly doesn't have the power to make goalies play better either.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:57 AM
BulldogFever

Let's see Lang was hurt last year, Begin had already been moved to Dallas, Ryder,Huet, Ashaam, theodore & Recchi haven't played for the CH in years and Shawn Thornton never played for the Habs. Read before you post - Last year's leadership included Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins, Komisarek & Tanguay. The only player who stepped up for the playoffs was Brisebois; everyone else was thinking of their CONTRACTS And I am not referring to this game only, I've watched every game this series and I've noticed the improved play of several of the young players - Gorges, O'Byrne, Lapierre, Halak & Pyatt

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:02 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

If they pull it through tomorrow night Gionta should get the C, can you imagine how epic that would be to start the second round? Love this team.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

Wow. I don't know how it's possible for two people to watch the exact same games and yet see two entirely different things.

Sebaldian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
overlords
Hfboards

I just think this team's vets are younger and are still capable of raising their game when they need to. More gas in the tank.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Stradale

I don't see what it has to do with leadership.

We are winning games because of Halak. Everytime Halak is the first star of the game, we win.

Last year we went in the playoff missing some key players, Markov being one of them, if we had all of our players like this year and beat the Bruins, then maybe we would have more leadership?

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:44 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Come on, really? People were ripping apart the very same "leadership core" that couldn't eke out 2 lousy points against three of the worst teams in the league a few weeks ago.

Such a fairweather fanbase. I mean we even have two threads on the board saying two completely opposite things: "Gainey critics were right" and "Gainey built this team for the playoffs". We should sticky them both so when we go on a hot streak everyone can post in the latter and if we get knocked out in the first round we can post in the other.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote