HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Chicago Blackhawks 5, Nashville Predators 3 [/season] but more importantly...

Old
04-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Que Sera Sera

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Chicago Blackhawks 5, Nashville Predators 3 [/season] but more importantly...

... the future is bright.
I came to these boards a little over a month ago now, making a thread about how I was a convert. I'm sure many of you doubted me. I can't blame you, because to be honest, I doubted myself. But after sticking with the team as much as I could all through the last couple of months of the season, I think I can call myself a Preds fan. Why? I can list a million reasons.
For starters, the work ethic on this team is brilliant. I love the way the boys gel out there, and I think we're going to have many successful seasons in years to come.
Like I said, I didn't know for a while if I could really call myself a "fan". I'd been supporting this team for less than a quarter of a year, I don't own any merchandise (shallow as that sounds, in the world of a young teen, that matters a great deal) and I've only ever seen them play live once. But now? I know I'm a fan. How do I know? I watched the season end tonight, and I haven't been that upset to see a team lose since June 19 2006 when my precious Oilers (who I will always hold dear) lost game seven to the Hurricanes. I watched the 'Hawks score in the empty net and held my head in my hands and moaned with the rest of you.
But this isn't just about me, this is about the team we all cheer for. I think our beloved Preds put up a great series (besides the PP ) and deserve our props.
This season was supposed to be a disaster. Look what it turned into. Let's pat ourselves on the back as fans and quietly thank the team for a great year.
Next year begins now.
GO PREDS GO

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Milly79

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:01 PM
lightning_legwand*

We will see what the future holds! But I am sure Poile does some offseason tampering with the team and next season we are possibly in a home ice situation in playoffs.

We sure have alot of young prospects budding.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:06 PM
OpenWheel

We don't have all that many spots for improvement with the contracts having the exact same core locked up for one more year. We'll still have Arnott, Sully, Dumont.

But if they resign Hornqvist. If Wilson improves... Just one new player...

We need some top two line guys who like to play in front of the net. Our aging vets hate to do that now, if they ever did do it. I like Ward ok, but I still grit my teeth knowing he's our second line guy. He's not that level.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Que Sera Sera

I would love to pick up a Ryan Smyth type of player...

Old
04-27-2010, 12:38 AM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
We don't have all that many spots for improvement with the contracts having the exact same core locked up for one more year. We'll still have Arnott, Sully, Dumont.
But if they resign Hornqvist. If Wilson improves... Just one new player...

We need some top two line guys who like to play in front of the net. Our aging vets hate to do that now, if they ever did do it. I like Ward ok, but I still grit my teeth knowing he's our second line guy. He's not that level.

Well I am not sure what next season brings, but if this is the case with Sullivan, Arnott and Dumont all having their contracts up at the end of that season, plus Radulov done his KHL contract, could be some interesting offseason wheeling and dealing that happens next offseason. But for now, not sure what to expect this offseason, but I do expect some moves. But as I say, two offseasons from now shoudl be interesting.

Well, time to go shave my playoff beard...

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:22 AM
WalkmanX

I want Poni

He should be on the open market, dont see the pens resigning him...

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Que Sera Sera

Why would you want Ponikarovsky? I'd love to see us trade Legwand + Klein or something along those lines for Smyth.

Old
04-27-2010, 07:56 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

lol, that would be stupid.. He's not worth it at this point.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:42 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
I was thinking this morning... I can't afford season tickets. I buy when I can and get the occasional draw from my office (the official tire of the NHL). And I was extremely upset last night, as I am sure most of you were. And the armchair GM in me has a few moves I would make this summer but what do I know, ultimately, you know? But even if there are no moves made, I would still buy tickets as I could afford them (and if I could fork over the money for season tix, I still would). They had a good season, even with the ups and downs. And they showed they know how to win on the road. Almost twice!

Yeah. This is my team. I would like to see Arnott gone, personally. He gives up too much I think (not like "I QUIT!" - but like a race for the puck, he let's up instead of pushing hard). And I want someone who can bring out the best in our powerplay. And someone to teach these guys to attack the puck (too often Chicago beat us to loose pucks). But again: the armchair GM.

Here's to next season! I love this game and I love this team.

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:52 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

There'll be some minor changes, but the lineup you saw last night is largely the lineup you'll see next season. One of Hamhuis or Grebs will be let go, Ellis is gone, Belak is gone. The only unknown for me is Bouillon, who I hope we can nail down for a similar price. The "core" will be the same, and there's not likely going to be much, if any extra money to add the type of "scorer" that most feel, and we probably do need.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Que Sera Sera

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
lol, that would be stupid.. He's not worth it at this point.
Ryan Smyth could score 30 goals, and he's never been on a team with a quality shot from the blueline like Weber has. He'd be terrifying for opposing goaltenders as a screen with Weber's 90 MPH slapper headed to the net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
There'll be some minor changes, but the lineup you saw last night is largely the lineup you'll see next season. One of Hamhuis or Grebs will be let go, Ellis is gone, Belak is gone. The only unknown for me is Bouillon, who I hope we can nail down for a similar price. The "core" will be the same, and there's not likely going to be much, if any extra money to add the type of "scorer" that most feel, and we probably do need.
Hopefully Grebeshkov will stay. I've liked the way he's played so far, and despite what I've said about him, he played terrific hockey in 08-09 and if he can do that again he's a valuable piece.
Bouillon... I think the amount we underrate him is ridiculous. He's 5'8" and hits harder than most of our team. I'd love to see him here next year.

Old
04-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
What a series, too bad it's over but that's okay. Can't wait until the draft and July 1st, see who we pick up, and obviously can't wait until next year.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:19 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
Ryan Smyth could score 30 goals, and he's never been on a team with a quality shot from the blueline like Weber has. He'd be terrifying for opposing goaltenders as a screen with Weber's 90 MPH slapper headed to the net.

Hopefully Grebeshkov will stay. I've liked the way he's played so far, and despite what I've said about him, he played terrific hockey in 08-09 and if he can do that again he's a valuable piece.
Bouillon... I think the amount we underrate him is ridiculous. He's 5'8" and hits harder than most of our team. I'd love to see him here next year.
Smyth will be 35 years old next season, his best days are over. We need to get rid of aging players not trade younger players for them...

Old
04-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Que Sera Sera

Quote:
Smyth will be 35 years old next season, his best days are over. We need to get rid of aging players not trade younger players for them...
I will never admit I'm wrong about Ryan Smyth, even though I might be. Love the guy too much. I still tear up when I see four-year-old videos of him scoring the GWG in game 3 of the Cup final.

Old
04-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Smyth was awful in the LA-Van series. He just doesn't seem to have it anymore.

Nazzy-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Que Sera Sera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19 View Post
Smyth was awful in the LA-Van series. He just doesn't seem to have it anymore.
Keith was awful in the NSH-CHI series. Just trying to point out that it doesn't spell the end of someone's career. I would trade him straight up for Sullivan.

Old
04-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Keith was awful in the NSH-CHI series. Just trying to point out that it doesn't spell the end of someone's career. I would trade him straight up for Sullivan.
I know what you're saying, in fact I though Smyth was playing injured after a big hit in game 3. But while he is still a solid complementary player, he's not the warrior he once was, and is definitely not worth $6.5 for another 2 years.

Nazzy-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Now I'd trade Arnott, Dumont or Sullivan for him..

Old
04-27-2010, 10:31 AM
OpenWheel

I would love to keep Grebs if Hamhuis goes, can't see any way to afford him if we keep Hammer. I heard "he'll cost you a goal a game!" from a disgruntled Oiler fan. And even though that's ridiculous I did watch him fly around freelancing out there and thought I sort of see what they mean.

But the guy can bring some offense from the dee position. It seemed clear he helped the powerplay. And when he is aware of who he has to cover, like a guy is on a break and he's the only one there, his general athletic ability helps him out. I saw him a couple times close on and eat up a decent forward like a spider on a fly. And one of his first games I still remember a poke check to keep the puck in the zone that Wilson scored off of, and I was impressed he got to the puck in the crowd.

So yeah, I see the space cadet part of his game once in awhile (although I thought his defense wasn't bad really), but I think anyone who harnesses his skills will have quite a player. A worth 3+ million player. If there was any reason to fault his effort level, I didn't see it either.

And you know what else? He's entertaining to watch. Sometimes I just like to have some fun watching some up and down hockey, lol.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 04-27-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old
04-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Amanda71

Send a message via MSN to Amanda71
Pens fan here that's also a huge Preds fan.

Last night's loss broke my heart. I was looking forward to heading up to Nashville for a playoff game once school was out.

You guys don't want any part of Ponikarovsky. He's just so, so slow and has been close to useless for us these playoffs.

I had a great time in Nashville seeing Detroit and Philly and I can't wait until next season, 'cuz I'll definitely be at the Bridgestone! (I still wanna call it Sommet Center XD).

Amanda71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:29 AM
echlfreak

Preds Moving Forward

The Preds had a season well beyond expectations, some players made big strides forward and a few shrunk back. With the raises to Rinne, Tootoo Klein, and Goc the Preds sit at approx 41M for 16 rostered players. Key unsigned RFA's Hornqvist, Franson and Grebeshkov are due for increases. Hornqvist will get around 3M per yr, Franson stands to sign for at least what Sulzer signed for 700k and Grebs could get qualified for 3.15M. Signing these 3 would take that number up to about 47M for 19 players. Which already sits the Preds at their self imposed cap with Hamhuis, Ellis, Belak and Boullion likely heading elsewhere? So what are the Preds options to improve when they are already at their cap?

Erat, Dumont, Arnott and Legwand all have trade clauses but do you ask them to waive them? And will they?

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I would love to keep Grebs if Hamhuis goes, can't see any way to afford him if we keep Hammer. I heard "he'll cost you a goal a game!" from a disgruntled Oiler fan. And even though that's ridiculous I did watch him fly around freelancing out there and thought I sort of see what they mean.

But the guy can bring some offense from the dee position. It seemed clear he helped the powerplay. And when he is aware of who he has to cover, like a guy is on a break and he's the only one there, his general athletic ability helps him out. I saw him a couple times close on and eat up a decent forward like a spider on a fly. And one of his first games I still remember a poke check to keep the puck in the zone that Wilson scored off of, and I was impressed he got to the puck in the crowd.

So yeah, I see the space cadet part of his game once in awhile (although I thought his defense wasn't bad really), but I think anyone who harnesses his skills will have quite a player. A worth 3+ million player. If there was any reason to fault his effort level, I didn't see it either.

And you know what else? He's entertaining to watch. Sometimes I just like to have some fun watching some up and down hockey, lol.
It's not like Hamhuis didn't have his share of brainfarts. How many times is he going to try to play the puck and not the man?

Old
04-27-2010, 12:06 PM
OpenWheel

I don't know Hamhuis' true value, but compared to Klein I know I'd gladly prefer Grebs even at one and a quarter million more per season. Grebs cost us a key playoff goal when he poked at a puck and missed and let them gain the zone, when it was right there to play the body. Butsince it happens also to Hamhuis and others, I'm sure making the decision and executing it is tougher than it looks from my easy chair. But I like Grebs, and not just for offense.

OT, lol, My Dad played defenseman in college and I remember he'd have me in a rage many times when I was about 14 years old because he'd tell me to try scoring on him and he'd skate backward and poke check the puck away from me time after time with no problem. I had a few moves once in awhile against the other kids, but couldn't get a sniff of the net against my Dad, lol. Then he'd race me with himself skating backward. At least I could take him on that one except when he'd cheat and check me aside.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 04-27-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old
04-27-2010, 12:08 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I could care less if I ever saw Hamhuis or Klein on Preds ice ever again.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote