HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First pair of hockey skates in awhile...

Old
04-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
First pair of hockey skates in awhile...

Hey there. I've played inline and ice hockey since I was a little kid, but I quit both teams (same coach for both) when he stopped playing me more than 5-10 minutes per game, after under the 2 previous coaches, got about 25. Well, I can't resist the urge any more, and I want to lace them up again. Last time I went shopping for hockey equipment, I had my dad to buy everything and pick everything for me. Now I have to pay for everything on my own.

What size skates should I be looking at? I wear shoe size 12. If I remember correctly, they shouldn't be bought the same as shoes? Or was that some false thought.

Also, are skates a bad area to save money on? Will my comfort and performance suffer if I get a cheaper pair?

Thanks for any advice.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Hey there. I've played inline and ice hockey since I was a little kid, but I quit both teams (same coach for both) when he stopped playing me more than 5-10 minutes per game, after under the 2 previous coaches, got about 25. Well, I can't resist the urge any more, and I want to lace them up again. Last time I went shopping for hockey equipment, I had my dad to buy everything and pick everything for me. Now I have to pay for everything on my own.

What size skates should I be looking at? I wear shoe size 12. If I remember correctly, they shouldn't be bought the same as shoes? Or was that some false thought.

Also, are skates a bad area to save money on? Will my comfort and performance suffer if I get a cheaper pair?

Thanks for any advice.
Coming from someone who just bought 600 bucks worth of brand new equipment, the general rule of thumb is that a size or size and a half down from your shoe size is what you are looking for regarding skate sizing. The best advise anyone can give you is your self and the pro shop employee who is helping you.

When I purchased my skates the employee ensured that my back part of my ankle was as far back as it can go. Then curling my toes up and down skimming the toe area making sure they do not rub against the toe of the shoe in the skate, this will ensure a proper fit. Also make sure you bake your new skates....."the place you are buying em from will know what this is", so they are tighter and mold around your foot.

Hope this helps and welcome back to the greatest sport in the world!

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Heat McManus

You're in NJ, best bet is to go to a hockey shop and get fitted. There are some good ones in NJ. The pro-shop at Ice House in Hackensack has a very good reputation. Pete over there has been in the business for about 25 years and is a great guy.

Nothing can compare to trying it on and knowing what you're buying. Online shopping is best if you're replacing the exact same product. If you're starting from scratch again I strongly recommend going to a shop.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:26 AM
nycking23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
You're in NJ, best bet is to go to a hockey shop and get fitted. There are some good ones in NJ. The pro-shop at Ice House in Hackensack has a very good reputation. Pete over there has been in the business for about 25 years and is a great guy.

Nothing can compare to trying it on and knowing what you're buying. Online shopping is best if you're replacing the exact same product. If you're starting from scratch again I strongly recommend going to a shop.
+1 for ice house in hackensack. peter helped me get into a pair of skates (the first pair i have ever owned) this month and i love them. a much better fit than i had before from a pair of hand-me-down skates that i thought fit, until i felt how they were really supposed to feel.

once its time for me to invest in equipment, im definitely going back there. i know some people think its not worth it since you can get the same things cheaper online, but when you factor in shipping and handling, it tends to be pretty close on most things

nycking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:39 AM
thedonger

ice house in hackensack is great if you're a bauer guy. but seeing you're in hawthorne, ice vault in wayne will be much closer for you and has more selection when it comes to brands that are not bauer.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Axxion89

Yea to echo what people here are saying, deff go to a hockey shop and buy your skates! I'm new and my friend told me just go a size and a half or size down (I'm 9/9.5) so I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and bought a cheap pair for Eastons for $40 in size 8. Needless to say I couldn't skate straight , my ankles kept bending, and my feet were killing me. I decided to get a new pair and went to a local hockey shop next to my school and bought a pair of Bauer Vapor XXX in SIZE 6!! They fit perfect, I skate great, and they fit perfect.

Long story short, invest in a good pair and go to a good dealer to find that pair of skates that work and fit best!

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:45 AM
blueberrydanish

You jerks and your local shops....some day I too will be near one...

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

I used to go to the Vault all the time. I've never been to the Ice House, maybe I'll give it a try. The Vault isn't THAT close, so I can't imagine the House being much worse of a drive.

Does anyone know the pricing of these places? I would like to keep it under $150 for the skates, if I can do that without sacrificing comfort and performance.

Old
04-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
I used to go to the Vault all the time. I've never been to the Ice House, maybe I'll give it a try. The Vault isn't THAT close, so I can't imagine the House being much worse of a drive.

Does anyone know the pricing of these places? I would like to keep it under $150 for the skates, if I can do that without sacrificing comfort and performance.
I'm not sure about the pricing at Ice House, but at the $150 price range might be able to find a Supreme model on closeout as the 2010 line was just released on the 15th.

Best of luck.

Old
04-26-2010, 02:59 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:

Thanks for any advice.
Skates will be smaller than your shoes AND while they might not be the most comfortable while trying them on, the snugger (without being explicitly too small) the better. If you're done growing, a good skate has no "wiggle room" for your heal or toes to slide up or down. Your heal should be firmly locked in the back and your toes should JUST reach the front of the toe cap (obviously you don't want to be cramped, but this is truly the most correct fit). This will reduce blisters because your foot won't be sliding back and forth in the skate and it just gives you a better fit and will improve your technique somewhat.

Your best bet is to absolutely go and get sized at your LHS though. Even if you intend to buy online (supporting your local shop is always nice though) you should still have them sized and try skates on. Politely tell them you have to think it over if you can't stomach a slightly higher price in the shop (though you'll get a free baking and sharpening which you'd have to pay for if you bought online).

Skates are not an area to save money, BUT, you don't need to buy top of the line skates either. The more expensive a skate is the more stiff the boot is, generally. For a skater who is only beginner or intermediate, as you might be after your hiatus, the stiffest boot isn't always the best. You shouldn't be going for a low-end skate, but a mid-high end model that doesn't totally destroy your budget will probably be best suited to your skills, last you a good long time, and not be insufficient in any way for the level you'll be playing at.

Hope this helps.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:

If you go there ask to see Pete, he's a shorter, older gentleman. He knows his stuff more than most and more importantly he is a good guy.

You need to be fitted. Everyone prefers their shoes to fit differently than others and the same is true with skates(length-wise). I personally wear size 13 running shoes(or if I can find them 12.5) and I wear a 10.5 skate. If I went by the general rule of thumb, I'd be wearing a 11 or 11.5 skate.

Also, it can vary from brand to brand. Previously to switching to Bauer, I was in size 11 CCM Tacks and in my opinion they were a little short(different toe cap).

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 08:28 PM
nycking23

Quote:

pete at ice house fitted me for a pair of x20 skates, a basic skate and relatively inexpensive. came to ~170, and that included free baking and first sharpening, something that would cost between 40 and 60 if you didnt buy them at your LHS. just to compare, i could have saved ~20 if i bought them from hm for 150 shipped, but then to get them baked and sharpened it would actually have been more

nycking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:49 PM
thedonger

Quote:

not THAT close??? dude, i drive through hawthorne(which takes me like 5-10min to get to) to get there and it still only takes me like 20min tops. what way are you going?

regardless, in a nutshell for me:
-ice vault: better selection of skates and equipment, maybe slightly better prices.
-ice house: solid selection of bauer skates, but not much else. good selection of equipment, extremely knowledgeable and experienced fitter IF you see Peter.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:07 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
If you go there ask to see Pete, he's a shorter, older gentleman. He knows his stuff more than most and more importantly he is a good guy.

You need to be fitted. Everyone prefers their shoes to fit differently than others and the same is true with skates(length-wise). I personally wear size 13 running shoes(or if I can find them 12.5) and I wear a 10.5 skate. If I went by the general rule of thumb, I'd be wearing a 11 or 11.5 skate.

Also, it can vary from brand to brand. Previously to switching to Bauer, I was in size 11 CCM Tacks and in my opinion they were a little short(different toe cap).
+1 to what TBLfan has to say. You need to be fitted for skates. Having an inexpensive skate that fits correctly is better that a better skate that doesn't fit.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

If you want to check out Grafs, which I got and highly recommend, and can make it to Manhattan, check out Westside skate on 5th Avenue and 23rd street, and ask for Darius. Very smart guy, knows the fitting process very well - just try not to go on a Sat or Sun unless its when they first open, as the store gets very crowded.

He'll spend as much time - hours and hours - as you need to find the right size, fit, etc., and their after-sale service is exemplary.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:44 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
If you want to check out Grafs, which I got and highly recommend, and can make it to Manhattan, check out Westside skate on 5th Avenue and 23rd street, and ask for Darius. Very smart guy, knows the fitting process very well - just try not to go on a Sat or Sun unless its when they first open, as the store gets very crowded.

He'll spend as much time - hours and hours - as you need to find the right size, fit, etc., and their after-sale service is exemplary.
i'm sorry, but, why bother venturing into manhattan when there are no less than 4 lhs's within a half hour drive of where he lives on this side of the river? all of which have a better selection of skates than wsss.

Old
04-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
i'm sorry, but, why bother venturing into manhattan when there are no less than 4 lhs's within a half hour drive of where he lives on this side of the river? all of which have a better selection of skates than wsss.
Because he said, "If you want to check out Grafs"

WSS is the best Graf dealer in the area. One of the reasons their selection is smaller is BECAUSE they choose to stock pretty much all the Graf models.

He didn't put a gun to his head and demand he go to the city.

Old
04-27-2010, 04:34 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Because he said, "If you want to check out Grafs"

WSS is the best Graf dealer in the area. One of the reasons their selection is smaller is BECAUSE they choose to stock pretty much all the Graf models.

He didn't put a gun to his head and demand he go to the city.
i get that, but would you care to tell me what graf skates are available for $200 let alone $150 retail (not even including the price mark-up wss has due to being a niche dealer and the expense of being in manahattan)?

so i'll say it again, why bother going into the city(just to see 1 brand of skate no less) when you can go to a closer lhs with a great fitter in Peter, or a place like ice vault that has an excellent variety of selection...and i'm also not even including 2-3 other decent to above average lhs's closer than wss.

Old
04-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
i get that, but would you care to tell me what graf skates are available for $200 let alone $150 retail (not even including the price mark-up wss has due to being a niche dealer and the expense of being in manahattan)?

so i'll say it again, why bother going into the city(just to see 1 brand of skate no less) when you can go to a closer lhs with a great fitter in Peter, or a place like ice vault that has an excellent variety of selection...and i'm also not even including 2-3 other decent to above average lhs's closer than wss.
There are the 200 series that are around that price. I think he was just throwing out a suggestion. Nothing wrong with a good info. Unless you're driving him, I'm not sure why you're stressing about the travel.

Old
04-27-2010, 05:15 PM
thedonger

Quote:
There are the 200 series that are around that price. I think he was just throwing out a suggestion. Nothing wrong with a good info. Unless you're driving him, I'm not sure why you're stressing about the travel.
because, like the other guy you're defending, i'm trying to save him some time, ie "help" him.

Old
04-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Thanks guys. I appreciate it very much. I do go into Manhattan a lot just for something to do on the weekends, so it wouldn't be too much of a stress.

What exactly are graf skates? Last time I was playing they must have not been very popular, I've never heard of them. Is there a big advantage to using them?

Also, Donger, I take the Hamburg Turnpike there, through William Paterson University.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Thanks guys. I appreciate it very much. I do go into Manhattan a lot just for something to do on the weekends, so it wouldn't be too much of a stress.

What exactly are graf skates? Last time I was playing they must have not been very popular, I've never heard of them. Is there a big advantage to using them?

Also, Donger, I take the Hamburg Turnpike there, through William Paterson University.
There's also Non Stop Hockey/Sports Section in Cedar Grove and Pre Game in Westwood.

I prefer Non Stop personally.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:12 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:

In my opinion, Graf skates are overpriced. They also have a horrible reputation for customer service as well as quality control. If Graf Canada gave me free skates, I still wouldn't use them.

I would, on the other hand, consider wearing Swiss Grafs. Which, is not the same company. Graf Canada licenses the name and produces similar style product.

Just because of their QC and customer service issues, I would never recommend Canadian made Grafs.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote