HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broken Toenail from Skate - Why?

Old
04-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Ruhnie

vCash: 500
Broken Toenail from Skate - Why?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on a nasty situation I have. I purchased a new pair of RBK 9k skates back in December, had them fit and baked in store. They felt great, no pressure points, no pain, etc. After I wore them a few times, everything was good. I had no blisters and no pain afterwards.

After about half a dozen skates or so, something bothersome started happening. My big toe on my left foot would ache a little bit. Then I noticed one night after a game that I had a bruise under the nail, on the side near the nail bed. I assumed there was some kind of protrusion or pressure point inside the toecap area, but I cannot find anything that would cause this.

I have no other wearable skates so I've continued to wear these for the last 4 months. Unfortunately my nail hasn't appreciated it. As I continued to skate, I saw a white/clear area form under the nail. It was separating from the toe. Finally last week, the nail cracked along the bottom edge of the separation across about 3/4 of the nail. It is about halfway off on 2/3 of the toe, with the remaining 1/3 bloody and angry.

So first question - how do I protect my toe while it grows out and falls off? I have no desire to stop skating, that's crazy talk.

Next, I obviously have a skate issue. Is it too small? I stopped tightening the laces almost completely about a month ago to no avail. I am thinking of just going up a half size for that one foot. Should I bother risking another RBK boot? Can you custom order just one skate anywhere?

I really appreciate any tips or anything on this. I am at a complete loss as to what to do next. Thanks!

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Sounds like the skate is too loose actually. I lost both of my toenails last year hiking (my toes hit the end of my hiking boots a bunch of times on my descent down a mountain). I would google something like "lost toenail hiking".....There were a bunch of articles and posts about it...Some people suggested I go to a pharmacy and get some lambs wool and stuff it into the toe of my hiking boot so that there's a barrier in between my nails and the shoe.....Other people suggested tying your shoes twice - once in the middle and once at the top where they lace up....That would prevent your foot sliding around in your skate as well.

The long term solution is probably getting different skates though...

Also - for the question about covering up your toe....There's some products out there from pharmacies if you look hard enough that will be little cloth covers for your entire toe/finger that are made to help ya....some of them are even medicated.......I would go to a store like Walgreens or some other place that has a big pharmacy and wide selection. I wasn't able to find those types of products in the small stores.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
Sounds like the skate is too loose actually. I lost both of my toenails last year hiking (my toes hit the end of my hiking boots a bunch of times on my descent down a mountain). I would google something like "lost toenail hiking".....There were a bunch of articles and posts about it...Some people suggested I go to a pharmacy and get some lambs wool and stuff it into the toe of my hiking boot so that there's a barrier in between my nails and the shoe.....Other people suggested tying your shoes twice - once in the middle and once at the top where they lace up....That would prevent your foot sliding around in your skate as well.

The long term solution is probably getting different skates though...

Also - for the question about covering up your toe....There's some products out there from pharmacies if you look hard enough that will be little cloth covers for your entire toe/finger that are made to help ya....some of them are even medicated.......I would go to a store like Walgreens or some other place that has a big pharmacy and wide selection. I wasn't able to find those types of products in the small stores.
Sorry to hear about the nails, ouch! Thanks for the reply and insight. I have to admit the idea that perhaps it is too big is an interesting one. When I did the most damage to the nail last week, it was while trying to stop a puck coming around the boards and slamming my foot toe-first into the board. I felt my toes all smash into the front of the skate and then immense pain. Should I be able to touch the front of the skates with my toes, or the opposite? I always thought you should be able to "feather" the front while flexing your toes.

Old
04-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
When I did the most damage to the nail last week, it was while trying to stop a puck coming around the boards and slamming my foot toe-first into the board. I felt my toes all smash into the front of the skate and then immense pain. Should I be able to touch the front of the skates with my toes, or the opposite? I always thought you should be able to "feather" the front while flexing your toes.
I see you left out the important info in your first post and pretty much answered your own question. Doesn't sound so much like a fit issue or a skate issue as just the fact that you rammed your foot into the boards. Your nail will grow back on it's own, in about 6 to nine months. That's how long it usually takes mine to grow back before I lose it again from running.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the nails, ouch! Thanks for the reply and insight. I have to admit the idea that perhaps it is too big is an interesting one. When I did the most damage to the nail last week, it was while trying to stop a puck coming around the boards and slamming my foot toe-first into the board. I felt my toes all smash into the front of the skate and then immense pain. Should I be able to touch the front of the skates with my toes, or the opposite? I always thought you should be able to "feather" the front while flexing your toes.
Well, there's your problem. Your toes shouldn't be hitting the front of your skates at all, let alone "smashing". I agree with the original response, tie your skates tighter. If that doesn't work, they may be too small.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
I see you left out the important info in your first post and pretty much answered your own question. Doesn't sound so much like a fit issue or a skate issue as just the fact that you rammed your foot into the boards. Your nail will grow back on it's own, in about 6 to nine months. That's how long it usually takes mine to grow back before I lose it again from running.
I think I just didn't elaborate what happened very well, or the sequence of events. My nail was already **** up, separated from the bed and cracked, before I rammed the boards last week. It just did more damage to the healthy part of the nail when I did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalberg View Post
Well, there's your problem. Your toes shouldn't be hitting the front of your skates at all, let alone "smashing". I agree with the original response, tie your skates tighter. If that doesn't work, they may be too small.
I think I may have done this to myself then at some point. I intentionally have been leaving the skate loose ever since the nail first got bruised, thinking it would alleviate whatever pressure point was causing it. Never occurred to me that it was being caused by hitting the end of the boot. Thanks guys.

Going to try and find some lambswool and stuff it in the toecap. Then gauze/tape up my toe, and wrap it with a gel toe pad. I guess only time will tell, after my nail grows back, if I can continue to wear these skates or not

Old
04-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Hockeyfan68

I had a toe nail issue and my little toe nail fell out and other nails acted like you described, it turned out I had 2 forms of anemia. B12 deficient and iron deficient ... I got so sick at one point i was close to organ and heart failure until I found out what caused it which i won't get into here.

The point is I doubt your skates could cause that much issue for your toe nail especially when you mention no noticable protrusions or anything.

You did mention black and blue and that makes me wonder if you blocked a shot or something and in the heat of battle maybe did not notice it because it was a slight pain? You mentioned that you are sure you hit the boards but that this was happening before that so ... maybe you blocked a shot and forgot about it?

It is possible you know, when you hit your thumb with a hammer the bruised spot lifts from the nail bed and you lose your nail so keep that in mind.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalberg View Post
Good post, I was thinking the same thing. You aren't wanting your toes to shim across the toe area inside the boot, you want them to gently rub and not be crammed. This is especially true when you are leaning forward shooting, cause you are putting more weight into your foot which tends to slide up in the toe area of the boot.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Good post, I was thinking the same thing. You aren't wanting your toes to shim across the toe area inside the boot, you want them to gently rub and not be crammed. This is especially true when you are leaning forward shooting, cause you are putting more weight into your foot which tends to slide up in the toe area of the boot.
I have a hell of a time a getting skate to fit on my left foot. They fit on my right but the left i have to sharpen the end of a teaspoon like a woodworking lathe chisel and i manually scoop out where the big toe is so my toe isn't crammed in my left skate.

It works but is risky if you overdo it because it makes the toe cap too thin there and you need to know how to sharpen and the then use a stone to take the burr off of the end properly so the teaspoon works for this.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-27-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Johnny Law

I lose both every year from kicking in boot packs while skiing. After the first time they come off alot easier and you don't even really notice, though be careful because the skin underneath the nail is sensitive as all hell.

Your loosing the nail because your skate is not locking the heal and your foot slides forward and slams your toe up against the toe cap. Find some better fitting skates and if you got them fitted from a particular store don't go back there.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I have a hell of a time a getting skate to fit on my left foot. They fit on my right but the left i have to sharpen the end of a teaspoon like a woodworking lathe chisel and i manually scoop out where the big toe is so my toe isn't crammed in my left skate.

It works but is risky if you overdo it because it makes the toe cap too thin there and you need to know how to sharpen and the then use a stone to take the burr off of the end properly so the teaspoon works for this.
Wow thats crazy Hockey Fan, that's going to hurt if you take a puck to your left toe OUCH!. Have you checked to see if the left skate is the same size as the right?, this might sound stupid but im sure mistakes happen all the time when skates are being put into boxes before you buy them. Another thing you may want to try is having them re baked by your LHS. That would totally suck to have the same thing happen to you as the originator of the topic, besides we pay to play so to sit out a few games due to injury is just a waste of $$$.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on a nasty situation I have. I purchased a new pair of RBK 9k skates back in December, had them fit and baked in store. They felt great, no pressure points, no pain, etc. After I wore them a few times, everything was good. I had no blisters and no pain afterwards.

After about half a dozen skates or so, something bothersome started happening. My big toe on my left foot would ache a little bit. Then I noticed one night after a game that I had a bruise under the nail, on the side near the nail bed. I assumed there was some kind of protrusion or pressure point inside the toecap area, but I cannot find anything that would cause this.
Here is a trick that usually works well... you will have to re-lace your boots to do this properly.

Take out the laces and really stretch out the bottom of the skate, then as you thread the laces through the first few eyelets, leave the lace really loose (don't pull it at all). Then as you get to about the fourth eyelet, you can then start to pull the laces tighter.

This creates a little more room in the toe cap... which will allow your toes to spread out more.

This little trick has saved me and a ton of my friends from going up another size countless times.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote