HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maroon practicing w/ Richards Line; Leighton practicing (as per Twitter)

Old
04-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomark View Post
I would like to see:

JVR-Richards-Carcillo
Hartnell-Briere-Giroux
Kalinski/Powe-Betts-Lappy
Leino-Kalinski/Powe-Asham (minimal ice time)

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Krajicek-Parent

Boucher
Leighton
Yeah, I'd really like to seem them go with two scoring lines and two grind lines to start. If the Caps (or the Habs) manage to exploit this or we have a couple close calls, switch it up then.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:23 AM
MCAKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I wish they'd move into a two-line format and get Kalinski in:

vanRiemsdyk - Richards - Giroux
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
Carcillo - Betts - Laperriere
Powe - Kalinski - Asham

I still think that's the way to go, but as long as we're going with the 3 line format, I think Maroon brings more to the table than Laliberte.
this is it right here for me. a powe kalinski asham line would just need to eat up minutes. wouldnt be expecting anything from them. carcillo betts laperriere would be a decent 3rd line that wouldnt detriment the team too much. we need to make sure that we put enough pressure on the caps D and see if we can force some turnovers

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:25 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
why do people have such a hard on for kalinski? he's nothing special

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
MCAKES

who else are you gonna roll out ther?

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
It's similar to people wanting Kukkonen in over guys like Modry -- it's not that he's so good, it's that he's better than the other options.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:41 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
For me, it's fairly simple.

Kalinski for one, has already played quite a few games in the NHL and done fairly well. He can absolutely skate at the NHL level, and fill a role on the 4th line.

The only other guy taht has seen real NHL time was Nodl, and I'm not convinced he can fill a role better than Kalinski. Nodl's skill set seems kind of average across the board for me; whereas as Kalinski is a very good skater.

The remaining options are guys who have seen little or not time in the NHL, let alone the NHL playoffs.

It's merely minimizing risk.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:46 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
For me, it's fairly simple.

Kalinski for one, has already played quite a few games in the NHL and done fairly well. He can absolutely skate at the NHL level, and fill a role on the 4th line.

The only other guy taht has seen real NHL time was Nodl, and I'm not convinced he can fill a role better than Kalinski. Nodl's skill set seems kind of average across the board for me; whereas as Kalinski is a very good skater.

The remaining options are guys who have seen little or not time in the NHL, let alone the NHL playoffs.

It's merely minimizing risk.
Meh I guess its if you consider 22 games a huge amount of games.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
donnieb

Why would anyone want Kalinski over Maroon. We've seen Kalinski, no thanks, he's just a 4th liner at best. Let's see what Maroon's got because he defintley has more offensive talent than Kalinski.

Kalinski
2009-10 AHL 28 Points in 69 games

Maroon
2009-10 AHL 44 Points in 67 games

donnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieb View Post
Why would anyone want Kalinski over Maroon. We've seen Kalinski, no thanks, he's just a 4th liner at best. Let's see what Maroon's got because he defintley has more offensive talent than Kalinski.

Kalinski
2009-10 AHL 28 Points in 69 games

Maroon
2009-10 AHL 44 Points in 67 games
Cuz we don't want someone that is going to come in and be concerned with putting up points...we want someone that can provide some skating (which Maroon can't) and energy in the bottom 6... especially given that whoever you pick isn't going to play more than 5 minutes most likely.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:01 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
With Schultz on the ice...the Caps are 2.62 goals better than their opponent over 60 minutes of even strength play. With Green, 2.12 goals better.
A guy like Green can definitely make up for his lapses with his offensive play, but those numbers are definitely skewed quite a bit by the forward lines that generally play with him...

As far as specific defensive assignments and gameplans, it really is dependent on the opponent at this point. Montreal has been physical enough on Green and guys like Backstrom and Semin, but have done a great job being aggressive on the PK. If we draw the Bruins, pushing around Chara won't accomplish much (), but I feel like it's a team we can skate with rather than chase around the ice as it would be with the Capitals.

Of course, no more talking about a potential choke for Washingon! Their losses have come with us assuming they're going to win, keep doing that!

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
A guy like Green can definitely make up for his lapses with his offensive play, but those numbers are definitely skewed quite a bit by the forward lines that generally play with him...

As far as specific defensive assignments and gameplans, it really is dependent on the opponent at this point. Montreal has been physical enough on Green and guys like Backstrom and Semin, but have done a great job being aggressive on the PK. If we draw the Bruins, pushing around Chara won't accomplish much (), but I feel like it's a team we can skate with rather than chase around the ice as it would be with the Capitals.

Of course, no more talking about a potential choke for Washingon! Their losses have come with us assuming they're going to win, keep doing that!
Well, that's moot...because they'll be on the ice with them in the playoffs. If you're trying to figure out what type of advantage/disadvantage you're going to be dealing with when various Caps are on the ice, those are the numbers to pay attention to.

Old
04-27-2010, 01:00 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
ACtually, Kalinski played quite well at the NHL level.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:46 PM
donnieb

Quote:
Cuz we don't want someone that is going to come in and be concerned with putting up points...we want someone that can provide some skating (which Maroon can't) and energy in the bottom 6... especially given that whoever you pick isn't going to play more than 5 minutes most likely.
I've seen Kalinski enough to know that he's not going to be any better than Maroon. Maybe they want a big body, Kalinski 6'1 180 pounds, Maroon 6'4 225. I'd rather have Maroon who has some offensive touch hanging around the front of Varlamov or Rask than Kalinski. We have enough Kalinski's out there. The biggest forward right now is JVR at 6'3 200.

Old
04-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
I've seen Kalinski enough to know that he's not going to be any better than Maroon. Maybe they want a big body, Kalinski 6'1 180 pounds, Maroon 6'4 225. I'd rather have Maroon who has some offensive touch hanging around the front of Varlamov or Rask than Kalinski. We have enough Kalinski's out there. The biggest forward right now is JVR at 6'3 200.
Kalinski absolutely is a better fit for what I have in mind than Maroon. Maroon's biggest problem is that he's essentially a top 6 or bust type of player at this point.

Old
04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Lomark

Quote:
Because not everyone is a stat geek and he has impressed before when getting a stint with the big club. And like somebody else said, we just need a palyer with high intensity who can keep up rather than a scorer..

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
donnieb

Quote:
Kalinski absolutely is a better fit for what I have in mind than Maroon. Maroon's biggest problem is that he's essentially a top 6 or bust type of player at this point.
Someone has to play with Richards and it has to be someone with some scoring touch, not a 4th liner. Carcillo is out there to fill that sort of role on Richards line, Gagne will be back but until than someone with an offensive threat has to play with Richards since he is the best scorer on the team without Carter. If you put Kalinski on it than it's just another checking line, with Maroon there might be a hope of something else. Obliviously the coaching staff fells the same way that is why Maroon is practicing with Richards and Carcillo.

Old
04-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Hubey1327

Quote:
For what you have in mind? Maybe maroon is a better fit for what the coaches have in mind lol

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:14 PM
donnieb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomark View Post
Because not everyone is a stat geek and he has impressed before when getting a stint with the big club. And like somebody else said, we just need a palyer with high intensity who can keep up rather than a scorer..
Kalinski has alot of intensity that's nice and everything but a scorer is way more valuable. Kalinski has more intensity than Gagne maybe we should leave him in when Gagne comes back. Not only Carter but Gagne too, the team needs someone who can score not someone who can hit.

Old
04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Someone has to play with Richards and it has to be someone with some scoring touch, not a 4th liner. Carcillo is out there to fill that sort of role on Richards line, Gagne will be back but until than someone with an offensive threat has to play with Richards since he is the best scorer on the team without Carter. If you put Kalinski on it than it's just another checking line, with Maroon there might be a hope of something else. Obliviously the coaching staff fells the same way that is why Maroon is practicing with Richards and Carcillo.
Yes, Richards needs someone with scoring touch... consolidate to two scoring lines, lean a little heavier on Betts, and then rotate wings and whatnot around (similar to what we ended up doing with Laliberte in the lineup given how few minutes he played).

So, yes, I want another checking line...cuz as is we're basically going to end up doing that given the limited minutes you can give to a guy like Maroon/Laliberte on Richards wing, because they're nowhere close to being ready to play Richards' minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubey1327 View Post
For what you have in mind? Maybe maroon is a better fit for what the coaches have in mind lol
Obviously... those 5 minutes and then cycle to the other guys makes a ton of sense, though.

Old
04-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Kalinski has alot of intensity that's nice and everything but a scorer is way more valuable. Kalinski has more intensity than Gagne maybe we should leave him in when Gagne comes back. Not only Carter but Gagne too, the team needs someone who can score not someone who can hit.
No, this team needs someone that can play 5 minutes and not **** the bed. You aren't calling up AHL guys that haven't played in the NHL before (Maroon) or have only seen limited action in the NHL (Laliberte) and expecting a whole lot of offense from 'em.

Old
04-27-2010, 02:24 PM
donnieb

Quote:
No, this team needs someone that can play 5 minutes and not **** the bed. You aren't calling up AHL guys that haven't played in the NHL before (Maroon) or have only seen limited action in the NHL (Laliberte) and expecting a whole lot of offense from 'em.
The coaches have been around hockey alot longer than you and know what they're doing. I hate to break it to you but Maroon is a better player than Kalinski, he has better hands and is even alot tougher to play against. He's big and he likes to hit. They want someone with size and offensive touch that's why he's there it's pretty easy to understand.

Old
04-27-2010, 02:37 PM
jb**

Quote:
If they need someone who scores what makes you think Maroon is the answer? He really lit up the ahl this year. Maroon has given no inclination that he is ready for the nhl at all. What has maroon done to make you think he will score at the nhl level? When they struggled to score they didnt even give him a cup of coffee look.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
The coaches have been around hockey alot longer than you and know what they're doing. I hate to break it to you but Maroon is a better player than Kalinski, he has better hands and is even alot tougher to play against. He's big and he likes to hit. They want someone with size and offensive touch that's why he's there it's pretty easy to understand.
You're confused if you don't think I understand what they're thinking and why they brought up Laliberte first, and now possibly Maroon.

I understand completely...it's been a point of contestation for me with this team all year: their complete marriage to a three scoring line setup.

Coaches certainly have been around hockey a lot more than me, but that doesn't mean they're infallible, and it doesn't mean they don't do stupid **** at times.

Frankly, I think we should just dress Bartulis. But if we're going to dress a forward, I'd prefer a guy that can fit comfortably into the bottom 6 role, and a player whose skill-set is great hands and weak skating ability isn't exactly a bottom 6 guy.

Either way, when push comes to shove, it's not going too be Maroon/Laliberte on Richards' wing...it's going to be Giroux or Briere.

Old
04-27-2010, 02:57 PM
DUHockey9

I'm 100% with Jester on this. If a guy is barely going to play (which is probably the case), you don't bring up a prospect, who has never played an NHL game before, let alone a playoff game. Unless you are talking about a a top tier prospect like Karl Alzner, you are better off resorting to a guy that you know can fill that 5 minute role.

The lines could ESSENTIALLY be:

Powe - Kalinski - Asham

They will just rotate guys onto Richards wing over the callup anyway. Might as well grab a guy that can excel in the 4th line role.

Again I say....it's minimizing risk.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm 100% with Jester on this. If a guy is barely going to play (which is probably the case), you don't bring up a prospect, who has never played an NHL game before, let alone a playoff game. Unless you are talking about a a top tier prospect like Karl Alzner, you are better off resorting to a guy that you know can fill that 5 minute role.

The lines could ESSENTIALLY be:

Powe - Kalinski - Asham

They will just rotate guys onto Richards wing over the callup anyway. Might as well grab a guy that can excel in the 4th line role.

Again I say....it's minimizing risk.
I highly doubt having Marron out there instead of Kalinski is having a higher risk

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote