HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need to discuss something - all referee discussion here

Old
04-27-2010, 10:44 AM
lxzred

vCash: 500
Looks like I'm not the only one drinking the Kool-Aide. The team with the least power plays in the league during the regular season must be made an example of,to show the error of there diving ways in game 6...what?

WOW what a game last night. Bought a new HD TV for game 7

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:10 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Did I miss the distribution of tin foil hats?

Wasn't the best reffing, but there is no grand conspiracy people. Get real.
1. Learn the definition of conspiracy.
2. Tell me with a straight face that the ref was NEUTRAL.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:14 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Rangers fan here - don't particularly care for the Habs but I care less for AO.

That was some of the worst post season officiating I've ever seen since watching hockey starting in 1979. Were there really 2 or 3 diving calls in a f***ing playoff game?

Hats of to the Habs - hopefully you guys can make Ovie "shake" in game 7.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:20 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
1. Learn the definition of conspiracy.
2. Tell me with a straight face that the ref was NEUTRAL.
He may have a point

I was pissed during the game, I kept screaming conspiracy !

But refs can get easliy biased during a game

The 1st diving call was legit; from that point forward, the refs became biased called 2 other ones.

The 2nd one may have been legit as well

The 3rd one was not.

I don"t think the refs received instructions from Gary before the game, but Lapierre's acting influenced their mindset

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Yes, by Halak, not the Refs.
So, Gorges pushing the net off and not getting called for delay of game isn,t helping the habs out ?

Ovechkin on his mini breakaway was hauled down by Hal Gill. He missed the puck completely and tripped him, but no penalty, so I guess that's nothing, eh ?

Montréal got away with things too. You want to be mad at the Gionta diving call, sure, the rest of the game, you just need to take your glasses off and stop being a god damn homer.

Really not complicated. Though, all of you complain more than Bruce ****in' Boudreau.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:34 AM
bib
#believe

pic from last night's game

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
So, Gorges pushing the net off and not getting called for delay of game isn,t helping the habs out ?

Ovechkin on his mini breakaway was hauled down by Hal Gill. He missed the puck completely and tripped him, but no penalty, so I guess that's nothing, eh ?

Montréal got away with things too. You want to be mad at the Gionta diving call, sure, the rest of the game, you just need to take your glasses off and stop being a god damn homer.

Really not complicated. Though, all of you complain more than Bruce ****in' Boudreau.
Actually, I said the Caps only had 1 Penalty more than us. So the number of PPs isn't the question at hand here.
How often have you seen 3 diving calls in a PO game??..or even in a regular season game for that matter..
Okay, what about 2..??

Did the Refs miss penalties on both side??..When do they don't??..It's only normal.

If you go read my posts, you'll notice I didn't complain about the Refs making calls or being biased. All I said was three diving calls when two of them are very borderline or not even dives is quite comical.
Refs can call other penalties that they missed, I don't care. But three diving calls is ridiculous.

I'm not a ''god damn homer'' and maybe you should pay attention whom you're quoting and make sure you read what it posted before answering back like a child. I didn't complain about the Refs, I only focused on their 3 diving calls and if they were warranted, I wouldn't have an issue with it. Two of them weren't.

And the reason Gill didn't get a penalty on that play is because Ovechkin had already taken the shot when he got tripped.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Nedved

Quote:

i agree with gorges. but im not sure about the hall gill one? i don't recall that at all.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:46 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlan View Post
Its not like a whole lot of people have to be involved in a conspiracy. One or two guys at the top being paid generously for their services. Hell even the refs may not be involved. Just schedule someone you know who has an obvious bias against/for a certain team. Done, even the ref doesn't know hes being used. I've seen all kinds of diving this play-offs, some of which have been just as blatant or more blatant than Laps first dive penalty, and yet no penalties.
Collusion in sports between officials and people who run the sport is quite common, just look at soccer. There was a scandal earlier this year in a couple of Champions League matches. One of the most blatant match fixing performances was the 2002 World Cup.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

With the news Savard being cleared to play in round 2 and the fact the Caps winning will give the Bruins Cooke and the Pens, I call a rig for good storyline.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
shutehinside

I actually thought the reffing was excellent up until Lapierre's first, super obvious dive. After that, it almost seemed like the refs got pissed at the Habs and started calling everything against us and nothing by the Caps. Maybe it's because we had a lead and they wanted it to be a more competitive game, I dunno. All I know is that after the 2nd period it was extremely biased and unprofessional.

I was bashing the conspiracy posters before but if the same ref and Lee ref game 7, I will truly beleive the fix is on. Let's hope for a fair game and the same level of commitment by the Habs and Halak and maybe, just maybe we can win this series.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:38 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I actually thought the reffing was excellent up until Lapierre's first, super obvious dive. After that, it almost seemed like the refs got pissed at the Habs and started calling everything against us and nothing by the Caps. Maybe it's because we had a lead and they wanted it to be a more competitive game, I dunno. All I know is that after the 2nd period it was extremely biased and unprofessional.

I was bashing the conspiracy posters before but if the same ref and Lee ref game 7, I will truly beleive the fix is on. Let's hope for a fair game and the same level of commitment by the Habs and Halak and maybe, just maybe we can win this series.
One thing nobody has mentioned is all those penalties we got earlier in the series (gomez, pleks, and carey if i remember right) for 'unsportsmanlike conduct'. Weren't those for basically telling the refs to go **** themselves?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
This doesn't even matter. They couldn't even capitalize on any of those PPs.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:04 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I strongly believe that there would have been at least some rioting in the streets if the Capitals had come back. I'm referring to the diving penalties mostly, as well as all the non-calls after that. There were at least 1 or 2 plays where the Caps players fell MUCH easier than Gionta or Lapierre (on his 2nd one). As Bob McKenzie said, there were only 35 diving minors called in the whole regular season (what is that...3000 games or something?), and only something like 8 or 9 of those were only diving, without another penalty being called.

Even if they were embellishing a LITTLE bit, which I don't even think happened in these cases, then there was at least some cause to initiate the fall. A stick between the legs or up near the waist/shoulders will do that. Those are automatic penalties in the pre-season, let alone game 6 of a playoff game, where the officials are already making ridiculous calls.

I don't know why more people aren't talking about this. The playoffs aren't the time to prove a point, the the ref who feels he got "embarrassed" by Lapierre, or Brian freaking Gionta, needs to put down his pride and do his god damn job.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:40 PM
zx81

The problem is that they haven't called this kind of penalty in the regular season and the previous playoffs game so that does not make sense to suddenly call 3 in the same game.

I wouldn't mind if they called it all season long (as they should).

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:41 PM
54toscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
First lappy diving was 100% good call.
Truer words never spoken.

Quote:
Gionta call was total BS. And EVEN if Gionta did intentionally dive, the Caps should be penalized too for tripping for having his stick between Gio's legs. That's how it's called 99.99% of the time.
Um....it was.
Washington tripping - 2 min 4:44, T. Fleischmann
Montreal diving - 2 min 4:44, B. Gionta

Quote:
The 2nd Lappy dive, BS again. But EVEN if he did dive, the Caps player should have been called for interference (holding the shoulder), which was all too obvious. Again, that's how it would have been called 99.99% of the time.
See, I don't think this is a conspiracy, I think it's more of a situation where after the first call on Lapierre, the refs are basically saying to him, don't crumble down after minimal contact as if you were shot from the rafters. It's embarrassing to them and it's embarrassing to the league. After this "warning" that such diving will be called, was it any surprise that when Lapierre did basically the exact thing again, he got penalized for it again?

54toscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:53 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
I strongly believe that there would have been at least some rioting in the streets if the Capitals had come back. I'm referring to the diving penalties mostly, as well as all the non-calls after that. There were at least 1 or 2 plays where the Caps players fell MUCH easier than Gionta or Lapierre (on his 2nd one). As Bob McKenzie said, there were only 35 diving minors called in the whole regular season (what is that...3000 games or something?), and only something like 8 or 9 of those were only diving, without another penalty being called.

Even if they were embellishing a LITTLE bit, which I don't even think happened in these cases, then there was at least some cause to initiate the fall. A stick between the legs or up near the waist/shoulders will do that. Those are automatic penalties in the pre-season, let alone game 6 of a playoff game, where the officials are already making ridiculous calls.

I don't know why more people aren't talking about this. The playoffs aren't the time to prove a point, the the ref who feels he got "embarrassed" by Lapierre, or Brian freaking Gionta, needs to put down his pride and do his god damn job.
The problem is that the refs have not been doing so in this series nor in the playoffs in general. Those three diving calls were lame in my opinion and who can forget how the result of game 2 came about. BTW, the Caps are getting away with an incredible number of infractions.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:18 AM
dutchy29

excluding the diving penalties! Thats what the whole discussion is about, those diving penalties started right at a time when when the canadiens were holding a lead. This wasnt just a "the reffing is bad" sort of night. The people watching the game with me were in utter disbelief over this, as I'm sure a lot of people were. If you saw it televised you would have seen this more clearly.
The other point, even if it was a dive, this should not be a call for a minor penalty, no ref can tell the difference between a legit fall and a dive 100% of the time, therefore teams will losing games at the hand of 1 guy.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Take off your glasses and you'll see Washington got jipped too.
Often true, although the number of picks they get away with is ridiculous. But all year I've felt the reffing is God awful, totally inconsistent and bad for eveyone except jerks like carcillo. The Habs inability to work the refs well is their own separate issue. IMO more a question of coaching than anything else.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I'm just wondering when there is going to be a delay of game penalty to the Caps for dislodging the net or when they will finally get called for running Halak. It's ridiculous and clearly cost the habs game 2.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Turboflex*

Anyone watch PHX vs DET last night?? The Yotes got completely JOBBED by the refs, it was sickening. Garbage penalty on Aucoin when that turd Holdstrom was just as guilty (they brought each other down in a tangle), Wings score on PP, then later on makeup PP Zetterberg BLATENLTY takes net off moorings when Wings in trouble (what a bunch of weasel cheaters!!! That is worst cheat possible in hockey). Refs confer to discuss it, no call...just wow. On face off Wings get puck off to guy coming out of box, he scores. Game goes from 2-1 to 4-1 thx to refs, completely ruin a game 7.

Between that and the attempted screwjob game 6 on Monday (3 dives, just lol...), the reffing has been a disaster so far.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:11 AM
skule123

My question: by what standard was Carcillo's dive/embellishment on a high stick that clearly missed him not a penalty, while Gionta's supposed dive was?

Taking those two incidents into account, is it possible there is a different standard being used, and maybe the referring in an elimination game is inconsistent with how other games are being called?

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

The thing is that reffing in the NHL has been excruciatingly bad forever. And to me it seems to have gotten worse over the years, especially since they decided there needed to be 2 refs on the ice and that everything should be called at all times (which everything still isn't called). I'd have thought it would have made it better, but it's just gotten worse. At least in the past, you knew it was pretty consistent in how it was called (ie nothing was called in the playoffs). Now, they make arbitrary calls all game and there's absolutely zero consistency from one game to the next.

And there's very little accountability except not getting the nod for the playoffs, at least not like there is in other sports. Considering the fact Chris Effin' Lee got the call for the playoffs, you to wonder if there's any accountability at all actually.

And what about Auger who got passed for the playoffs, what do you think goes on in his mind ? That damn Burrows kid and the canucks, they cost me games in the playoffs and I'll make sure they pay. Other referees could also want to stick up for Auger. I was convinced of that before, but now I'm 100% sure that refs are a tight prideful and vengeful bunch. They are NOT impartial, no human beings are, but in the case of NHL refs, with little accountability, there's not much incentive for them to be. They will stick up for each others, and try to screw certain players and teams that make them look bad. Everyone knows this. And the Burrows incident just confirmed it for me. No matter what people say that's utterly wrong.

I think it wouldn't be too hard for the league to give warnings to the refs before certain games. Something such as this :

Habs
-These guys are known to cross check too much in front of the net
-The following habs players are known divers
-This and that guy are known to use their stick too much, watch out for it

Washington
(blank space)

Refs will look for those calls all game. Easy way of making sure one team is favored over another without there being any proof.

They could say Washington is known to dislodge the net when in trouble. That they take runs at the goalie. That Ovechkin's skates often leave the ice when he goes for a bodycheck. But it's clear that referees haven't been made aware of that since it's never been called all series long.

Do I believe this is what happens ? I don't know. I'm not ruling it out, and I'm not convinced it does happen. But after last game, you have to wonder.. I mean 3 diving calls, 2 single diving calls with no calls the other way when in over 1200 games before that it had only happened 3 times total ? Then, there's been what, 1 goalie interference call all series ? No delay of game for obvious net dislodging ?

Maybe the NHL is giving instructions to look for certain calls directed at certain players and teams in a manner that is not 100% honest. Maybe not. Maybe the reffing in game 2 was just bad, and then maybe since the habs complained about reffing too much in game 3, they now have the refs on their back looking for revenge and looking to teach them a lesson, pass a message.

One thing that seems obvious to me is that the NHL is not in any rush to make reffing better. Maybe there's a reason for that, maybe it makes giving certain instructions favoring certain teams a lot harder to notice and question, maybe the league officials are just incompetent.

Either way it looks bad for the NHL because the reffing and officials in charge of it are either biased, corrupted or incompetent. None of these explanations mean anything good for the NHL and it's seriously tainted my enjoyment of the show over the past few years.

Des Louise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:47 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
I was at the bell center for the game

but
excluding the diving penalties, it was an ok reffed game
Lappierre break away trip should have resulted in penalty shot.

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
ScopeHockey

Refs for Game 7

Dan O'Halloran and Brad Watson.
http://twitter.com/habsinsideout1

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote