HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So we know what they have to do now...

Old
04-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

vCash: 500
Hecht is probably the biggest reason this line got going and stayed that way. He's no superstar but makes other players around him better, for next season I'd like to try him with Roy - Vanek. But that probably means watching connolly and Pominville running around like a head-less chicken for most of the season.

He keeps **** simple and not tries to overdo everything, we'd need another guy like him on the 2nd line.

I'm not sold on running Roy out of town, the dude held the fort down while Timmah was injured or MIA this and last season.

Pominville and Connolly can go to the AHL.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:01 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Different players, same results, year after year. Decade after decade. (Don't tell me about the "good seasons"..... where's the Cup? It's been 40 years guys!)

I think it's the organization/management. Complacent, just good enough to turn a profit, enhance the bottom line. It starts with the owner and President and carries over to the GM, the coach and then to the players. Lowered expectations. Minimal accountability. Sabres need ownership with a fire to win it all and not just be happy with an improved business portfolio. Steinbrenner and Jerry Jones are 1st class A-hole's. But it's obvious they wants to win it all and won't settle for less.
Give me a break. I watch hockey to have fun, not to be pissed off every year they don't win the cup. That's the players' and management's job. I got a ton of enjoyment out of this year. Therefore: "good season."

Steinbrenner and Jerry Jones have teams that produce nearly unlimited resources. They have the teams with the two biggest revenues in the biggest sports in America. I daresay if the Sabres had a media empire they might be buying some more players. It's a horrible comparison.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Afino
The Juice

Listening to the post game stuff and getting even more pissed off about Connolly.

Get the **** off this team. Retire if you have to. I never want to see you here again.
LG-CU920/V1.0s Obigo/Q05A Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Whammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
The GTFO:

Stafford
Rivet
Sekera
Connolly
Pominville
Roy
Tallinder

I'll take Lydman and Monty back, sign someone with some spine and some heart.

While I wholeheartedly agree with all of those, they have 8 UFA's this year and Tallinder is the only one on this list. I can't see Niles letting 12-14 players off the roster.

Expect more of the same next year.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:35 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Listening to the post game stuff...
That's a recipe for disaster my friend. I don't want to hear a ****ing word from these bums any time soon. Even just a single Pominfail cliche and I'd probably lose my TV or computer, and he's just not worth it.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:11 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Give me a break. I watch hockey to have fun, not to be pissed off every year they don't win the cup. That's the players' and management's job. I got a ton of enjoyment out of this year. Therefore: "good season."

Steinbrenner and Jerry Jones have teams that produce nearly unlimited resources. They have the teams with the two biggest revenues in the biggest sports in America. I daresay if the Sabres had a media empire they might be buying some more players. It's a horrible comparison.
Ding. There comes a point where all of this discussion is an echo chamber for something that shouldn't be so damned important. I like rooting for my team, even if they aren't very good or as good as I'd like them to be.

There comes a point where stepping back and focusing on something else is healthy. I did it in 08 through most of 09 and I found myself enjoying the game so much more, as opposed to letting the Sabres' failures determine my emotional well-being.

Deep breaths. We knew this team was flawed and possibly over-achieving during the regular season. If this off-season looks like last year's then there should be calls for Regier's head, by his own metrics. He wanted to see what he had, and what he has is wanting. Make it better or do something else. Now, it's put up or shut up time for the front office.

Regier should be aggressive with his picks and players at the draft table. He needs to be.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:19 AM
sacre_bleu

At least I can appreciate the good from this season. Miller, Myers, Ennis, Gerbe. Grier and Montador and Lydman. In the end, even Vanek.

This series ought to prove that Miller can't do it alone, and this team needs a serious overhaul. The core is rotten, and needs replacing. They've shown us who they are. Pominville has finally erased the glow he carried for getting around Alfie and ending the Ottawa series all those years ago. He's just another bum now.

I can't get around the fact that the biggest failure of this team was the consistent will to compete. Can't you teach that? How come the Canadiens will, to a man, run through a brick wall while an elimination game features top-6 Sabres forwards sauntering on the backcheck?

Can the Sabres ever do that with Lindy Ruff as coach? Because wherever that switch is in the players' heads or hearts, Ruff has proven he can't consistently reach it. To me, that's just a fatal flaw in a wannabe Cup team. It might even be a bigger hole than the lack of a power play.

sacre_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:44 AM
monktbd
Girgerenkolainen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
What makes you think he'll want to stay?

Ta,
Edit: This is about Grier.

Well if his mindset is like the last time when he left for San Jose there is not much the front office can do.

But at least they should try and slap a letter on him if they keep him.

monktbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacre_bleu View Post
This series ought to prove that Miller can't do it alone, and this team needs a serious overhaul. The core is rotten, and needs replacing. They've shown us who they are. Pominville has finally erased the glow he carried for getting around Alfie and ending the Ottawa series all those years ago. He's just another bum now.
Milller.... made some totally amazing saves and gave the team a chance to win every game. Despite this, with the gold medal goal, the Satan OT winner, and even the Satan GWG (game 6), his over-aggressive style will keep him from being "the best" goalie in the league. He's come a long way, but there is still room for improvement.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:20 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

haven't seen him mentioned, what were your thoughts on Kennedy?

04-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
He's not a center. Once they moved him to the wing, he did very well.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:25 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Decent 3rd line winger. We have an abundance of small guys on the roster and in the pipeline right now though, and I don't think you can be successful in this league with Ennis, Roy, Gerbe, and Kennedy all in the top 9. Probably need to pick 2 of those guys, and work on moving the rest.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Underrated agitator, good hustle player who started to click with Vanek when he was playing LW and Vanek moved to RW. Playing him at center did not help him, but getting him back on the wing... he was much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placek View Post
He's not a center. Once they moved him to the wing, he did very well.
Pretty much. Although I thought he did well in limited minutes at center in this series.

04-27-2010, 10:57 AM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by monktbd View Post
Edit: This is about Grier.

Well if his mindset is like the last time when he left for San Jose there is not much the front office can do.

But at least they should try and slap a letter on him if they keep him.
Of course they're going to try and retain him. I'm bringing this up as a warning sign of trouble come the negotiating period. If Griere says no thanks to re-upping with us it'll be b/c the FO will decide to accept the incremental improvement as enough to move forward for next season. At which point I'll go back to not caring as much b/c it'll be a while before the team's really worth my time.

Ta,

Old
04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Underrated agitator, good hustle player who started to click with Vanek when he was playing LW and Vanek moved to RW. Playing him at center did not help him, but getting him back on the wing... he was much better.

Pretty much. Although I thought he did well in limited minutes at center in this series.
With Kennedy, Ennis and Gerbe playing so well in this series, we have an over-abundance of small, gritty LW'ers. This logjam will have to be resolved. The good news is that they each probably have much more value than they did just two weeks ago.

Ta,

Old
04-27-2010, 11:16 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

Kennedy was solid as 3rd line center when he played with Hecht and Grier. When he was asked to center offensively oriented lines (with Vanek then Mac as the LW) then his game started to drop off. Then he got it back on LW where he is at his best.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:56 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I think Kennedy is a very useful player. Good agitator, good passer, digs in the corners, plays wing and center and can play with any line. Plays with lots of heart. I'd like to see him put on 15 pounds of muscle.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Kennedy was solid as 3rd line center when he played with Hecht and Grier. When he was asked to center offensively oriented lines (with Vanek then Mac as the LW) then his game started to drop off. Then he got it back on LW where he is at his best.
Maybe some day, but I always felt that was just an average 3rd line, and not something you'd take to the bank in the playoffs.