HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This year's veteran leadership vs. last year's

Old
04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
HabsRealist

vCash: 500
Did everyone drink the coolaid.

Better team ??? Come on, I have rarely seen a Habs team completely and utterly
embarrassingly dominated like last nite.

I am building a shrine to Halak. Unbelievable play !!!

But THIS HABS TEAM COMPLETELY SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They dont belong on the same ice as the Caps. Lets be real for a bit here. Gomez
coudnt make the top 2 lines on the Caps and we pay him more than anyone on their team.

HabsRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:56 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post

They dont belong on the same ice as the Caps. Lets be real for a bit here. Gomez
coudnt make the top 2 lines on the Caps and we pay him more than anyone on their team.
I remember back in the day when i played tfc and cs online, there was amxmod. You could start votes on whether or not to kick/ban people from the server. I miss amxmod.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I remember back in the day when i played tfc and cs online, there was amxmod. You could start votes on whether or not to kick/ban people from the server. I miss amxmod.
There's ignore list.

But his opinion is totally valid.

This team is basically Halak + opportunistic scoring. Nothing else so far.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:01 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
There's ignore list.

Isn't that exactly what new jersey used to win a few cups? Was jersey not the better team back then? Lets not pretend penalties did not slant the ice in one direction, it's easy to get badly outshot when you're being penalized every few minutes, not to mention how badly it tires out your team. The penalties were pretty even in the first, we were the better team then despite getting outshot 18-11 or something like that.

oh, and whether or not his 'opinion' is valid, being a caps lock ***** and saying ' OMG THIS TEAM SUCKS' is immature, and is likely coming from a 12 year old.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:04 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Sorry, I didn't know leadership had the power of preventing the other team to shoot
So tell me what powers do leadership have?

Just so you can come on this site and tell us that we won because we have better leadership.

We didn't win because of better leadership. We won because we have been getting out of this world goal tending.

Where was this leadership when our goal tending was simply good and we lost those games?

Leaderships has had nothing to do with the results. Just look down to that quiet Slovakian. If you tell me he's our leader. Okay I'll accept it. But if you tell me we're winning because of Gomez, Gionta and the other "leaders", well naw, I don't accept that premise.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Isn't that exactly what new jersey used to win a few cups? Was jersey not the better team back then? Lets not pretend penalties did not slant the ice in one direction, it's easy to get badly outshot when you're being penalized every few minutes, not to mention how badly it tires out your team. The penalties were pretty even in the first, we were the better team then despite getting outshot 18-11 or something like that.

oh, and whether or not his 'opinion' is valid, being a caps lock ***** and saying ' OMG THIS TEAM SUCKS' is immature, and is likely coming from a 12 year old.
Ok, so the fact the PPs were 7-6 in favor of Washington has penalties killing us? Ok. They actually gave Washington more technical penalties (as we got 3 dives).

As for New Jersey, as much as people want to remember it that way, they didn't give the massive amount of scoring chances we did, and neither were they always outshot by the opponent.

I'm glad we're winning the games right now, but I'm not expecting this team to continue to play like this and get far in the playoffs. At some point, we're gonna face a slightly better defensive team and it's going to be a lot harder to generate any offense, which is already a problem as is.

Old
04-27-2010, 12:16 PM
walsy37

I think that Halak played unbelievable and amazing. Quite frankly, one of the all-time great games by a goalie in the playoffs. Not just the amount of shots but the scoring chances.

And that is what is a killer. As happy as I am that the Habs won, Washington did dominate us. It is not just the number of shots (as shots from far out and no screens should be saves) it is the amount of time Washington has the puck and the quality of their scoring chances. Gill has been a stud - but if a team get 50+ shots on goal, have 20 blocked and miss the net on another 15 - that means that Washington took 85+ shots - way to much time with the puck.
Habs leadership has been amazing off the ice. Cammy's calming words after game 5 were epic and he backed it up on the ice. However, other than Cammy, on the ice, we are still lagging way behind.

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:17 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

Well let's be fair...the Capitals have one of the best offensive teams in the league of the last few years. It's not like we gave up 50 shots against a crappy team. There are very few teams in the league that wouldn't be overwhelmed by the Caps' offense, and we're not one of them. But that doesn't make us the worst team in history either.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Last year, half of the team was injured during the playoffs. An healthy line up would have changed a lot of things last year.
Maybe they wouldn't have been swept...but the Habs squeezed out as much as they could out of that leaderhip group last year + with all the distractions that surrounded the team last year, the habs weren't going to beat the Bruins.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Maybe they wouldn't have been swept...but the Habs squeezed out as much as they could out of that leaderhip group last year + with all the distractions that surrounded the team last year, the habs weren't going to beat the Bruins.

You keep running with that.

Old
04-27-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:

You keep running with that.
Did they not lose?

You're post makes NO sense whatsoever.

Old
04-27-2010, 12:45 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:

Belanger was the second line center for the Caps yesterday. Gomez has outscored Belanger by a fair margin (ie 2x more points) every season since Belanger joined the NHL. Ovechkin has a larger salary than Gomez also. While this is hardly relevant, make sure the crap you pull out of your **** is real at least.

Mike Cammalleri outscores Ovechkin btw, is he crap? Plekanec has 7 points in 6 games too, what a terrible team we have! Imagine if we had a decent team, we should have swept the best regular season team already
`
Posters like you disgust me... you must be a sad, sad person IRL with that kind of attitude, I hope I'm wrong.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Did they not lose?

You're post makes NO sense whatsoever.
Well, you're saying that even if we changed variables in a given situation, the end result would not have changed.

If we could have won one or more last year, as you're implying, why couldn't they have one the series?

Maybe we pull off a Carolina Hurrricans and upset them? I don't see it that way even healthy, but I didn't see it for this series. So all things considered, changing variables only the slightest may have changed a whole lot. We don't know. Implying that healthy line-up last year doesn't change one thing is pretty ridiculous IMO. Just before we lost Markov, we went 5-0-1. That was without Lang and others (iirc.). Imagine now if we hadn't lost our top goal-scorer and our point shot.

A lot of things could have easily changed. There's just no way of saying had there been a healthy lineup, there's still no way we're winning it.

Old
04-27-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Well, you're saying that even if we changed variables in a given situation, the end result would not have changed.

If we could have won one or more last year, as you're implying, why couldn't they have one the series?

Maybe we pull off a Carolina Hurrricans and upset them? I don't see it that way even healthy, but I didn't see it for this series. So all things considered, changing variables only the slightest may have changed a whole lot. We don't know. Implying that healthy line-up last year doesn't change one thing is pretty ridiculous IMO. Just before we lost Markov, we went 5-0-1. That was without Lang and others (iirc.). Imagine now if we hadn't lost our top goal-scorer and our point shot.

A lot of things could have easily changed. There's just no way of saying had there been a healthy lineup, there's still no way we're winning it.
Again, that's just my opinion...I didn't say it was a certainty. Fair enough, you bring up valid points in terms of how the Habs were playing before losing Markov. However, I just think the Bruins had our number last year, adding Markov might of prolonged the series, but I just think the Bruins would of took it either way.

Thats got nothing to do with having a 'crystal ball'...

Old
04-27-2010, 01:26 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Come on, really? People were ripping apart the very same "leadership core" that couldn't eke out 2 lousy points against three of the worst teams in the league a few weeks ago.

Such a fairweather fanbase. I mean we even have two threads on the board saying two completely opposite things: "Gainey critics were right" and "Gainey built this team for the playoffs". We should sticky them both so when we go on a hot streak everyone can post in the latter and if we get knocked out in the first round we can post in the other.
Quoted for truth.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:18 PM
NBP81

The goalie is always a big part of playoffs winning team. Is pittsburg a bad team because Fleury had to stand on his head in the cup winner. We all know your goalie is going to have to steal some games in the playoffs, its just the way it is. And while I agree he stole the one last night, I can still give credit to the rest of the teams in the other two win in this series.

NBP81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogFever View Post
I hate to kick a dead horse but watching last night's game that's all I could think of. These vets lead by example. Cammy, Gomez, Gio, Moen, Gill, Moore. Could anyone see last year's crew step up like this? I doubted these signings, what were they thinking of? And Jacques Martin (is this guy still around?). But they all proved me wrong. As a bonus, they are actually showing the young guys how you have to play to be successful. I am sure that everyone else caught Gorges playing Gill's octopus style on the 5 on 3.

BTW, of all the ex-habs, only Schneider is still in the playoffs.
The biggest difference between this year and last year is our goaltending. Last year the goaltenders had an .883 save percentage and this year it is about .920. We are being outshot by about 12 shots per game and the series is tied.

I know its not the best measure of performance or effort but last year we were outshot by only 4 shots per game in the playoffs and we played that series without our top defenseman, our #2 center and only got 2 games out of our #1 left winger.

This team deserves a lot of credit for what it has accomplished but I would give more of that credit to Halak than anything else. The good news is were are making some progress but there is a ton of work yet to do. This team is not 'miles ahead' of last year's squad... no matter what we would like to think.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 06:03 PM
markov`

We're going to game 7 against the best team in the league, yes, the team that has scored 101 goals more than us and had 30 something + points. All of the games except game 6 were pretty even, we even played better than then some games. Halak stole the last one but our team as a whole played great. Of course the veterans are way better than next year, and Cammy is our best offensive player since Pierre Turgeon

markov` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gionta
“We haven’t reached our goal yet. It wasn’t just to bring it to a Game 7. Our goal is still to win the Stanley Cup and our goal is still in sight.”
Now, I dont think we could go all the way but... man is it refreshing to see our players say their goal is to win the cup. Never in the past in the playoffs have I heard some of our players say our goal is to win the cup.. its usually like "We wanna win the round.. and go on and see where we could go from there".. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 06:24 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i think if we had more leadership, we could have a go at 82 shutout wins.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 06:49 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Such a fairweather fanbase. I mean we even have two threads on the board saying two completely opposite things: "Gainey critics were right" and "Gainey built this team for the playoffs". We should sticky them both so when we go on a hot streak everyone can post in the latter and if we get knocked out in the first round we can post in the other.
For what it's worth, I started the "Gainey critics were right" thread, and it is actually pro-Gainey's moves, within reason.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:32 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Come on, really? People were ripping apart the very same "leadership core" that couldn't eke out 2 lousy points against three of the worst teams in the league a few weeks ago.

I agree...bipolar fans....when the Habs win, they're the best team on earth. When they lose....fire everyone, trade everyone, tank....

Truly annoying bunch.

With regards to the topic, I do think the leadership on this team is far and away light years ahead of the last team. It's hard to believe in guys who haven't "been there" Saku, Markov, Bouillon, etc... Gionta, Gomez, Moen, Gill....they all have "been there" and know what it takes...the players know this and believe in them. I also think the players genuinely like each other and respect each other. I do love the character on the team. I think they have some serious holes but I actually "like" this team. I haven't said this in a while

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Last year, half of the team was injured during the playoffs. A healthy line up would have changed a lot of things last year.
1000% agreed

Its mostly bandwagoners that said "Habs suck"... when they had no idea of the damage done to the line up

That being said... the 2010 Habs have a Game 7 Destiny to meet

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Kirk Muller

Its been an entertaining series in which the habs hopefully win but how about this team actually win a round or two before we start hailing this as some successful change.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:
There's ignore list.

Opportunistic scoring is better than virtually no scoring at all though (re: the way the Bruins absolutely embarrassed us in last year's 1st round).

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote