HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poti will miss Game 7

Old
04-27-2010, 12:58 PM
bhuya71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Damn, this means more icetime for Carlson.
IMO Carlson has been a bigger offensive threat than a shutdown dman...as long as we pressure him with a good forecheck i can see him cracking...not saying hes bad defensively but its more his offense and decisions that make him impressive me thinks

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Well it sucks for them but kinda of good news for us

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

I just wish Scott Walker won't play tomorrow.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:05 PM
overlords
Hfboards

how good is alzner? I know he was really hyped a few years ago, but how has he looked in call ups?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

He seems to be good, but inexperienced, and has trouble handling criticism it seems. Demotions/bad plays affect his emotions and the way he plays according to Caps board.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
They just recalled Alzner from Hershey...
Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.18832/812; U; en) Presto/2.4.15
Aw crap. He's pretty good. Damn Caps and their prospects.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

********, he will be there

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:53 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

**** hockey, he got some WoW to play!

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
if the league finds out about this i wouldn't be surprised if cammalleri was suspended. you can't say things like that, than shoot pucks at guys faces.
Not sure if serious...

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I just wish Scott Walker won't play tomorrow.
If Boudreau had his brain that he tragically lost after the great fall, he'd put in Walker and take out Flash. I still can't believe Walker is sitting out.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:00 PM
De Montreal
help

Caps could use Walker. We could hate Scott Walker.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cum7t3QTHZs

He didn't get suspended for almost knocking Havlat's block off last year in the PO's, I seriously doubt anything will come from this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Nobody shot a puck at his face, it deflected off a stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Not sure if serious...
lol. no i'm not serious.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:24 PM
bib
#believe

You don't block pucks with your face. That's why nerds shouldn't be allowed to play hockey.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Poti was on their second pairing most of the season.
Green and Schultz were doing the big minutes during the season.
With Carlson now playing 20 minutes a game, and the Corvo pickup, his importance is diminished.
Poti's played 2nd most among Washington defensemen, and third most among Capital players. He's averaged 4 seconds fewer played per game than Ovechkin even-strength. He's been their top PKer, playing 4:27 on average-over a minute more than any other Washington defenseman.

These averages are including Game Six, where Poti played only 14 minutes due to injury. It's safe to say he would be second in ice time among Capital players in general in even strength if not for that.

It's safe to say that Poti has been an integral minute-eating defenseman for a team already short on mobile, defense-first veteran defensemen, and that his loss is significant.

In Montreal, where Hamrlik's disappointing play and Spacek's injury could have been significant blows, veteran depth lightened the effects as Gorges and Gill emerged as integral components to the blueline. Washington, on the other hand, must depend on young players and offensive defensemen to fill in--neither of which play the same game nor enjoy the same strengths that Poti provided.

All that said, Alzner's a nice player and certainly capable of stepping in. My worry would be more if Washington opted to play Sloan or Erskine instead, and bumped up Corvo's minutes.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Poti's played 2nd most among Washington defensemen, and third most among Capital players. He's averaged 4 seconds fewer played per game than Ovechkin even-strength. He's been their top PKer, playing 4:27 on average-over a minute more than any other Washington defenseman.

These averages are including Game Six, where Poti played only 14 minutes due to injury. It's safe to say he would be second in ice time among Capital players in general in even strength if not for that.

It's safe to say that Poti has been an integral minute-eating defenseman for a team already short on mobile, defense-first veteran defensemen, and that his loss is significant.

In Montreal, where Hamrlik's disappointing play and Spacek's injury could have been significant blows, veteran depth lightened the effects as Gorges and Gill emerged as integral components to the blueline. Washington, on the other hand, must depend on young players and offensive defensemen to fill in--neither of which play the same game nor enjoy the same strengths that Poti provided.

All that said, Alzner's a nice player and certainly capable of stepping in. My worry would be more if Washington opted to play Sloan or Erskine instead, and bumped up Corvo's minutes.
Poti was 4th in minutes/game during the regular season as ES (behind Green, Schultz and Corvo). Schultz progressively played a more important role as the season progressed.

He was 4th in minutes at ES the last full game he played (behind Green, Carlson, and Schultz).

He is the Hall Gill on the league's 25th best PK. He was cursed all season long by Caps fans for his brain cramps and ineptitudes while killing penalties. They'll be able to overcome his loss...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Poti was 4th in minutes/game during the regular season as ES (behind Green, Schultz and Corvo). Schultz progressively played a more important role as the season progressed.
Wow... is this willful ignorance? What does the regular season matter? Poti is #2 in Washington in the post-season. That's a fact. To say he was behind Schultz and Corvo in the regular season is wholly irrelevant. Poti averages close to 5 minutes more per game in ice time than Corvo in the post-season!

Old
04-27-2010, 05:04 PM
le_sean

I think the Habs really need to attack Alzner/Carlson when they are on the ice. They are good, but will probably be real nervous in a Game 7 with the team on its heels.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:40 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I think the Habs really need to attack Alzner/Carlson when they are on the ice. They are good, but will probably be real nervous in a Game 7 with the team on its heels.
Attack them and hope for what has been the key in all Habs win this series, an early goal.

bipolarhabfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:49 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

not just this series. that solid stretch we had after the olympics, we had many games that had us scoring in the first few minutes that proved to be crucial in maintaining a winning rhythm.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Wow... is this willful ignorance? What does the regular season matter? Poti is #2 in Washington in the post-season. That's a fact. To say he was behind Schultz and Corvo in the regular season is wholly irrelevant. Poti averages close to 5 minutes more per game in ice time than Corvo in the post-season!
You're right, he has raised his level during the post-season. I guess we'll soon find out if Carlson was the one responsible for his elevated play or if it was the other way around.

I just don't think his complete aversion to physical play is what's most effective vs the Habs' small speedy forwards.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Mike8

Quote:
You're right, he has raised his level during the post-season. I guess we'll soon find out if Carlson was the one responsible for his elevated play or if it was the other way around.

I just don't think his complete aversion to physical play is what's most effective vs the Habs' small speedy forwards.
In last year's playoffs, Poti was the Capitals' #2 defenseman and #1 defenseman in +/- with a +8 (Green was -5).

He's just a poised, solid dman. And he's mobile, and a veteran, and my view of him this series is that he's been by far the best defenseman at shutting the team down because he has some size and he's developed good fundamentals.

I think Carlson, while impressive, has been prone to some breakdowns defensively.

You might be right that the team won't skip a beat, just saying I think this is a blow for the Capitals--moreso than losing Spacek would be for Montreal, for sure.

Old
04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
overlords
Hfboards

he did a good job pissing off a few of our guys, Gomez fought him and i think gionta went after him too at one point (might have been cammy, i remember commenting on how it was always our midgets who tried to fight him). Might make things easier on our small forwards.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
he did a good job pissing off a few of our guys, Gomez fought him and i think gionta went after him too at one point (might have been cammy, i remember commenting on how it was always our midgets who tried to fight him). Might make things easier on our small forwards.
Yeah, it was Cammalleri.

Thing about big guys is that even if they're fast, they're rarely quick. So when you get good positional defensemen who aren't immobile and have some veteran savvy to their game, that's where they can render quick midgets to playing more of a perimeter game. That's why Poti was so effective versus Montreal, where Schultz has been below average (in my opinion), while the reverse would likely be true versus Pittsburgh, and certainly against Boston or Philly.

Old
04-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Cupmonger

Alzner seems like another offensive D. I think it could favor us seeing his stats. Unexperienced, does have some points, mostly assists, so he's looks more of the feeder then the trigger. Though he can provide a boost of moral like Subban did for us, probably not as much though. We shall see.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Gomez softened him up with his George Forman like power shots.

Too bad for Poti, he had played well and that injury can mean plastic surgery. As much as it pains me to say it since I'm a big fight fan the time has come for mandatory visors.

After seeing Moen come razor close to loosing an eye this year my thinking did a 180 on that issue.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote