HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Which is best of the 4 gloves?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
  #1
topsnipe
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Which is best of the 4 gloves?

In your opinion which one would you choose and why? If you have any of them let me know how they've held up! Thanks!!!

Nike Bauer Vapor XXV
Nike Bauer Supreme 70
Bauer Vapor Team Canada Gloves
Nike Bauer XVI

topsnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:55 PM
  #2
Ani simov mal
Registered User
 
Ani simov mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
None.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:57 PM
  #3
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Great contribution.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:02 PM
  #4
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
XXV is the winner here for me, unless the Canada gloves are XXXXs. The XXV is obviously a step up from the XVI. The Supreme 70 isn't really a step down from the XXV, but I much prefer the vapor fit over the supreme fit. The vapors have tapered fingers while the supreme fingers are wider at the tips; I feel this creates an uncomfortable crowding when gripping the stick so I go with vapor gloves. The XXVs will be good gloves if you're just looking for mid-range and not wanting to spend too much; if you're just looking for the best available look for the XXXX pros in nylon.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:51 PM
  #5
Ducksgo
#EtemUp
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,356
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo
This is actually a good topic to discuss, I recently had a friend who is joining me in our hockey 101 league. He went all out and spent 2 grand on the best of the best equipment, he used it in a pick up game and found out that they were to bulky, so he exchanged them for lesser quality gear and now he's in love with em.

So with this being said, I find that the above top of the line gloves may be good for some people but One55 or other lesser quality from Bauer might actually be better suited to the player.

Ducksgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:12 PM
  #6
AIREAYE
Registered User
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
If the Team Canada gloves are what I tihnk they are, then they're just an SMU glove, very low quality and offers very poor protection, just for looks basically. Assuming you have the cash I think we can narrow it down to the XXV and the Supreme.

It depends on what kind of fit you like in your glvoes. The Supreme offers a more 'anatomically correct' fit, meaning that your fingers/hand will be snug, but you will still have good mobility. The Vapor line offers a 'tapered' fit, meaning that the fingers will be snug, but the hand/palm area will be roomier, with greater mobility.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:14 PM
  #7
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,775
vCash: 500
How were gloves too bulky?

I bought a pair of $35 Bauer gloves that I loved for about five games until I took a slash off the draw that almost broke my thumb. Back to the real gloves with plastic inserts. Hell, I've taken a slapper in my One75's that made my hand go numb.

To the OP, XXV's or Supreme 70's would be good quality gloves, although the One75's are much, much, much better than the Supreme 70's IMO.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:35 PM
  #8
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How were gloves too bulky?

I bought a pair of $35 Bauer gloves that I loved for about five games until I took a slash off the draw that almost broke my thumb. Back to the real gloves with plastic inserts. Hell, I've taken a slapper in my One75's that made my hand go numb.

To the OP, XXV's or Supreme 70's would be good quality gloves, although the One75's are much, much, much better than the Supreme 70's IMO.
I agree. I've had several fingers and my whole hand saved thanks to very protective gloves. Faceoffs inevitably lead to nasty slashes, ditto for playing against a-holes, so safety is a good idea. But the long and short of it is that a lot of mid level gloves have plenty of protection, but are too bulky or immobile.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
  #9
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsnipe View Post
In your opinion which one would you choose and why? If you have any of them let me know how they've held up! Thanks!!!

Nike Bauer Vapor XXV
Nike Bauer Supreme 70
Bauer Vapor Team Canada Gloves
Nike Bauer XVI
not knowing which vapors the team canada gloves are, i'll vote for either the supreme 70 or XXV. all comes down to how you like your gloves to fit.
the 70's in my opinion will be tighter/slimmer fitting and maybe a touch longer. the XXV will have more of a tapered fit, still snug, but not as tight as the 70's.
both are solid choices for the $$ imo, all comes down to what kinda fit you like.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:42 PM
  #10
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Yep, XXV's or One70's...depending on what type of fit you like. I own One70's and absolutely love em. I really like the XXV's too, but never used a pair.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:09 PM
  #11
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
This is actually a good topic to discuss, I recently had a friend who is joining me in our hockey 101 league. He went all out and spent 2 grand on the best of the best equipment, he used it in a pick up game and found out that they were to bulky, so he exchanged them for lesser quality gear and now he's in love with em.

So with this being said, I find that the above top of the line gloves may be good for some people but One55 or other lesser quality from Bauer might actually be better suited to the player.
None of the gloves in the OP are top of the line. They're all mid-range, similar to the One55.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:56 AM
  #12
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,775
vCash: 500
Well no, technically, the XXV and 70 are one step down from top of the line. The XVI is another step down, about the same as the One55. I have no idea what the Canada glove is.

The level down from top end gloves should be fine for most adult rec league players...but if your league is chippy, you block a lot of shots, or take a lot of draws, I'd recommend springing for high end gloves with lots of plastic inserts and padding.

Bauer 4-rolls, if you like a super loose glove, are very protective. You can also find a lot of good deals on eBay...I bought CCM Vector Pro gloves, over $150 retail back in the day, off eBay brand new in the bag for $35 shipped.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:21 AM
  #13
Johnny Law
Registered User
 
Johnny Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
If you don't know what features you like in a glove go buy Bauer 4 rolls, fantastic glove that is easy to find in a ton of colors. If you don't like the volume fit of the 4 roll pick up the vapor 40 or 60, both offer excellent protection in a tighter fitting glove.

Once you know what you like then you can experiment with different gloves.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
  #14
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well no, technically, the XXV and 70 are one step down from top of the line. The XVI is another step down, about the same as the One55. I have no idea what the Canada glove is.
... Right, so they're not top of the line, but they're not bottom of the barrel either. I usually define that as "mid-range" and considering two of them are simply one step up from the One55 and another is "about the same", I'd say they're "similar" mid-range gloves.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
  #15
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,775
vCash: 500
The best bang for the buck in hockey gear is a step down from the top end. It's diminishing marginal returns. The One75's are pretty dang close to the One95's, a little different liner and a different type of inserts, while the One55's have no inserts, a much cheaper palm, different liner, a lot less thumb protection, etc.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:26 PM
  #16
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The best bang for the buck in hockey gear is a step down from the top end. It's diminishing marginal returns. The One75's are pretty dang close to the One95's, a little different liner and a different type of inserts, while the One55's have no inserts, a much cheaper palm, different liner, a lot less thumb protection, etc.
Fair enough, but I'd still consider them mid-range. I mean, simply because it seems silly to do things like say: Top of the line, mid-top, mid-range, low-mid, bottom of the line. He also still included a glove that was essentially equal to the One55, and two that were only a step up so I'll still say "similar". To be fair, I wore the XXX for a loooong time and switched to XXXX about two years ago, so I only know the other gloves from wearing a buddies gloves when I didn't have a pair handy (for pickup or roller hockey in the summer) or fooling with them in a pro-shop.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:57 PM
  #17
AIREAYE
Registered User
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The best bang for the buck in hockey gear is a step down from the top end. It's diminishing marginal returns. The One75's are pretty dang close to the One95's, a little different liner and a different type of inserts, while the One55's have no inserts, a much cheaper palm, different liner, a lot less thumb protection, etc.
Im taking an Economics course atm, and I would like to learn more about it, so could you elaborate on that please?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:10 PM
  #18
macgyverthatshiz
Registered User
 
macgyverthatshiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
It seems like you really want to stick with the Bauer line, but I would check out the CCM Pro Tacks, or some of the Warrior line. I have the Pro Tacks, a bit pricey but are super protective and super comfortable once you break em' in.

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 01:46 PM
  #19
CptKirk
[insert joke here]
 
CptKirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,306
vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
If the Team Canada gloves are what I tihnk they are, then they're just an SMU glove, very low quality and offers very poor protection, just for looks basically. Assuming you have the cash I think we can narrow it down to the XXV and the Supreme.

It depends on what kind of fit you like in your glvoes. The Supreme offers a more 'anatomically correct' fit, meaning that your fingers/hand will be snug, but you will still have good mobility. The Vapor line offers a 'tapered' fit, meaning that the fingers will be snug, but the hand/palm area will be roomier, with greater mobility.
Can we please get rid of this myth? Roomier gloves don't mean greater mobility. They're just roomier, and provide a different feel. Supremes and Vapors both have quite a bit of mobility, at least at the top level. Lower end gloves typically have less mobility. Supremes are designed to be a very mobile glove, but the fit is not for everybody. Especially those who are used to a traditional fit.



Quote:
Im taking an Economics course atm, and I would like to learn more about it, so could you elaborate on that please?
It means that you get less and less of an increase in benefit the more you pay for an item. For the say, $100 increase in price, you won't get nearly as much a difference as $100 will buy you going from the bottom level to a low medium level item.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.