HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2010 Kings Draft Discussion

Old
04-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Not sure if you viewed the video I posted of Galiev, but he's got quite the shot. He's a talented winger who can shoot and pass, something the Kings are lacking in their system. Galiev is the type of talent the Kings need to add to their prospect pool.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Fat Elvis

He looked great in the video, but 15 goals 45 assists in 67 games says he is a pass first kind of player. I'm not saying he's not good, just saying he seems to be a playmaker more than a scorer. Having more playmaking type of players in the system than scorers can become a problem at some point.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Rommel

Tyler Toffoli would be a great choice for the Kings..

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
He looked great in the video, but 15 goals 45 assists in 67 games says he is a pass first kind of player. I'm not saying he's not good, just saying he seems to be a playmaker more than a scorer. Having more playmaking type of players in the system than scorers can become a problem at some point.
Eh... I don't know about that. You can't tell how the rest of the team will look by the time a prospect comes along. The Kings aren't exactly known for being a great puck moving team either. Who can you say on the Kings is a playmaker? Kopitar. That's it.

Galiev has also registered 8 goals and 19 points in 15 playoff games, leading all QMJHL rookies in playoff scoring and 8th overall in playoff scoring.

Old
04-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Tyler Toffoli would be a great choice for the Kings..
Reading a report on him being an average skater and lazy at times (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=526307) and a slow starter (http://www.thescoutingreport.org/ohl...slow-starters/), I'd be hesitant to take Toffoli. Reminds me of former high first round pick (and bust), Terry Ryan.

Austin Watson is the player I think the Kings would like to select but he may not be on board when it comes their turn. He's been climbing up the draft rankings. The top two players I would love to see the Kings draft are either one of Etem or Niederreiter, however, with them being selected within the top 12-15, I think the next most talented player after those two is Galiev.

Old
04-27-2010, 02:04 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Reading a report on him being an average skater and lazy at times (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=526307) and a slow starter (http://www.thescoutingreport.org/ohl...slow-starters/), I'd be hesitant to take Toffoli. Reminds me of former high first round pick (and bust), Terry Ryan.

Austin Watson is the player I think the Kings would like to select but he may not be on board when it comes their turn. He's been climbing up the draft rankings. The top two players I would love to see the Kings draft are either one of Etem or Niederreiter, however, with them being selected within the top 12-15, I think the next most talented player after those two is Galiev.
What about Kabanov? He's a great goalscorer.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:27 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I'm probably in the minority here, but to me it seems like this would be the year for DL to package a bunch of picks and a few prospects to move into the Top 5, and try to hit a homerun with a pick. To me, we have enough of these average to slightly-above prospects. Outside of Schenn and Bernier, their is nobody in the system that will be a big-time impact player(top pairing guy, top line guy, #1 goaltender).

I don't say this because the draft is in LA. But because we have 12 picks, and DL doesn't need to re-stock the system like he has been doing since '06.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
I'm probably in the minority here, but to me it seems like this would be the year for DL to package a bunch of picks and a few prospects to move into the Top 5, and try to hit a homerun with a pick. To me, we have enough of these average to slightly-above prospects. Outside of Schenn and Bernier, their is nobody in the system that will be a big-time impact player(top pairing guy, top line guy, #1 goaltender).

I don't say this because the draft is in LA. But because we have 12 picks, and DL doesn't need to re-stock the system like he has been doing since '06.
I believe that Clifford also could be big-impact-player.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:30 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
My wishlist remains the same. Etem, Watson, or McIlrath.
Dylan McIlrath? the defenseman? Man, we have wayyy too many defenseman, we just got Muzzin, I think we go winger here. I would love Emerson Etem, Brock Nelson or even Tyler Toffoli. Those wishing for Nino Niederreiter, he will be LONG gone by the team we select

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:36 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Can someone post the top 100 list from central scouting report from last year along with the actual 3 rounds of draft picks?

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Nashville's loss last night makes us lose pick 18 as a possibility. So it's now 19-21. If Montreal beats Washington tomorrow night the Kings are guaranteed at least the 20th pick.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
with massive Character issues

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Can someone post the top 100 list from central scouting report from last year along with the actual 3 rounds of draft picks?
LOL, too busy to do it yourself?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
with massive Character issues
Maybe. Maybe not. But the discussion is huge and ranging. See here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=752527

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
LOL, too busy to do it yourself?
Nope, just too lazy.

Old
04-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Kabanov has a controlling father... I don't think Lombardi touches him.

Old
04-27-2010, 07:13 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Kabanov has a controlling father... I don't think Lombardi touches him.
You mean he is some dad that might try to get his son to go play in Russia or try to command 5 mil a year?? Hope the Kings never have anyone on the team like that

KingLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. But the discussion is huge and ranging. See here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=752527
Maybe, maybe not? Definitely is the right answer. A top notch team, who is a serious contender to win it's league, doesn't let a valuable asset leave the team at the start of the playoffs, unless there are issues with the player. Even if they only saw him as a secondary scorer, and someone they thought could help them in any way, they would not let him leave. But they did... I wouldn't put my neck out on the line for that guy, especially if my job security was dependent on it. Boom or bust projects with nice skill sets can be found in later rounds too. Maybe with a little less ego or baggage.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Tadite

I think he is going to drop like a rock. 5th round at best. The being a Russian drops you at least a round....

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Central final rankings: http://www.sabresprospects.com/2009/...m-central.html

Actual draft: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2009e.html

A team's rankings generally start to deviate from Central's around the time Central releases its midterm rankings. In Gare Joyce's book where he became a part time scout for the Blue Jackets in the 2006/07 Drafts, he notes that most teams respect Central's efforts but their final rankings are more for fans/media than something the teams consider.

The preliminary rankings done by Central are a bit of a "road map" for a team however. If a player is ranked highly by Central in November but the NHL team hasn't really scouted him, they'll make a concerted effort to get few viewings.

Here's a screen cap of Montreal's partial list last year:

9. Louis Leblanc
10. Ryan Ellis
11. Zach Kassian
12. Scott Glennie
13. Jordan Schroeder
14. John Moore
15. Dmitri Kulikov
16. Jacob Josefson
17. Chris Kreider
18. Nazem Kadri

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:39 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I don't know why we would have to trade up or down, I still see QH being there at our pick and he has everything that we are looking for in a player. If we were to move up I would want us to try and climb all the way up to a top 2 pick and I can't see that happening.

I like following drafting patterns of several NHL and WHL teams and have since the early 90's. I am typically around 85%ish right on my pre draft lists for these teams, that said I see this years draft as being one with only 7 pretty sure fire picks, after that there are allot of good looking players that all seem to have an equal shot at making the bigs.

When you couple my line of thinking with the fact that we are stocked up full of solid young talent with several having legitimate shots at making the NHL, I would look to make a monster trade giving up a package like Our 1st, 1-2nd,both 3rd and both 4rth round picks in an attempt to move up into the top 3.

To a team like Boston this wouldn't likely be much of a deal but, to rebuilding teams like the Oil etc I am sure there would be some consideration given to the suggestion. We might have to spruce it up a bit but why not? The draft is in L.A. and we could use another highly touted player.

Talk about making a "splash" at this years draft.

From us:

Our 1st
1-2nd
2-3rd
2-4rth

from the oposition:

One top 3 first.

The opposition would be able to completely stock up with 4 picks in the first 90 and two more before the fourth round is over. A team that drafts well could go a long way at restocking their cupboards in one deal.

I know its crazy but....
Go ahead and snipe away

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
Maybe, maybe not? Definitely is the right answer. A top notch team, who is a serious contender to win it's league, doesn't let a valuable asset leave the team at the start of the playoffs, unless there are issues with the player. Even if they only saw him as a secondary scorer, and someone they thought could help them in any way, they would not let him leave. But they did... I wouldn't put my neck out on the line for that guy, especially if my job security was dependent on it. Boom or bust projects with nice skill sets can be found in later rounds too. Maybe with a little less ego or baggage.
There's a reason I included the link to the discussion thread. This has been beat to death over there. The only sentiment I can agree with is that I have never met the kid. Never seen him. Never spoke to him. All my information - and I assume yours - is secondhand. I assume every GM will be doing due diligence: calling junior coaches, talking to scouts, conducting interviews with the kids themselves. Until then, I'll try to keep an open mind about it.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
Until then, I'll try to keep an open mind about it.
An open mind? An open mind!?! It'll be the end of the internet!

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 03:06 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Central final rankings: http://www.sabresprospects.com/2009/...m-central.html

Actual draft: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2009e.html

A team's rankings generally start to deviate from Central's around the time Central releases its midterm rankings. In Gare Joyce's book where he became a part time scout for the Blue Jackets in the 2006/07 Drafts, he notes that most teams respect Central's efforts but their final rankings are more for fans/media than something the teams consider.

The preliminary rankings done by Central are a bit of a "road map" for a team however. If a player is ranked highly by Central in November but the NHL team hasn't really scouted him, they'll make a concerted effort to get few viewings.

Here's a screen cap of Montreal's partial list last year:

9. Louis Leblanc
10. Ryan Ellis
11. Zach Kassian
12. Scott Glennie
13. Jordan Schroeder
14. John Moore
15. Dmitri Kulikov
16. Jacob Josefson
17. Chris Kreider
18. Nazem Kadri
Thanks Brodeur!!! Very much appreciated!!!

Old
04-29-2010, 09:33 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Now that the 1st round is over, are picks 1-22 confirmed yet?

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote