HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Character of Projected 1st Round Picks in 2010

Old
04-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Aristocles14

vCash: 500
Character of Projected 1st Round Picks in 2010

I often hear about the skill level of many of the players projected to go in the 1st round of this years draft but I wanted to know more about there character. I get tired of drafting guys who have great talent but poor attitudes that takes away from the as players. Any thoughts would be helpful...

Hall
Seguin
Gudbranson
Fowler
Gormley
Sheahan
Burnistov
Tarasenko
Connolly
Pysyk
Niderreiter
Bujgstad
Kabanov
Granlund
Etem
McFarland
Johansen
Forbort
McIirath
Campbell
Galiev
Merrill
Watson
Telegin
Pickard
Skinner
Nelson
Howden
Martindale
Johns

Aristocles14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
DaveMatthew

I don't know about any of the other guys, but Erik Gudbranson is mature beyond his years. The kid has character coming out of his ears, and with everything that his family has gone through (his little brother beat Leukemia twice), he really appreciates the most important things in life and knows how lucky he is.

Having had a few run ins with him and the family over the years, I have no doubt that he has the attitude and work ethic to be a great player. Future captain material.

Here's a little video just demonstrating this...

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Kabanov's problems have been well documented. Depends on what side of the coin you stand with him.

Gormley's coach in Moncton compared talking to him to talking to a 30-year-old veteran player.

I've heard nothing bad about Galiev.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
gare joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocles14 View Post
I often hear about the skill level of many of the players projected to go in the 1st round of this years draft but I wanted to know more about there character. I get tired of drafting guys who have great talent but poor attitudes that takes away from the as players. Any thoughts would be helpful...

Hall B+ (A little on his own program.)
Seguin A- (Clearly figured out what it was going to take to raise his game)
Gudbranson A
Fowler A- to B+
Connolly B to B- (Bad situation in PG, hard to say.)
Bujgstad B + (It will be interesting to hear if he has an open mind about CHL hockey.)
Kabanov F
Etem A- (Highly intelligent and motivated kid. Might even strike some as cold-blooded.)
McFarland B (I actually think he gets a bad rap. He seems pretty smart to me.)
Watson A- (His character/willingness is evident whenever he plays.)
I think character has to be paired with intelligence (more street smarts than book smarts). There has to be character (the willingness to do what it takes and to be coached) and smarts (being able to figure out what it's going to take and taking management of your career). The rankings I throw up here are based on what I know from talking to them and what I've gleaned that know them directly.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
Kabanov's problems have been well documented. Depends on what side of the coin you stand with him.

Gormley's coach in Moncton compared talking to him to talking to a 30-year-old veteran player.

I've heard nothing bad about Galiev.
Galiev is the anti-Kabanov. He showed up and has worked for everything. He is willing to be a 4th liner if it is best for the team and is well liked by all the team.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 07:51 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
Galiev is the anti-Kabanov. He showed up and has worked for everything. He is willing to be a 4th liner if it is best for the team and is well liked by all the team.
That's definitely him. I just hope he can prove to be a top 6 forward in the future. Your thoughts?

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 08:04 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
I think character has to be paired with intelligence (more street smarts than book smarts). There has to be character (the willingness to do what it takes and to be coached) and smarts (being able to figure out what it's going to take and taking management of your career). The rankings I throw up here are based on what I know from talking to them and what I've gleaned that know them directly.
Connolly has had problems besides his injuries? Was there a conflict in Prince George?

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:14 PM
gare joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Connolly has had problems besides his injuries? Was there a conflict in Prince George?
Not particularly. I just don't think he's so quick on the uptake. Seemed sort of blase. In contrast to, say, Seguin who seems to have his "personal-management thing" down ... strengths of Crosby, Stamkos and the best of others.

Old
04-26-2010, 09:15 PM
gare joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
I've heard that ... just not at great length.

Old
04-26-2010, 09:19 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Toffoli wasnt on the list but as a likely first round pick i'll shed some light.

He isn't the biggest (6'0) but he plays like he's 6'3. Loves to get his nose dirty in the messy area's. I've talked to him a few times aswell. Great kid, has a steady head on his shoulders.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I think we can all agree that the Kabanov thread was a trainwreck, and I've read some of your posts in other threads which leads me to believe I jumped the gun on a few things. Hoping the past is the past...

As one of the new class of American prospects coming from non-traditional hockey markets, Etem really intrigues me. What exactly do you mean about him being "cold-blooded"?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:00 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Not particularly. I just don't think he's so quick on the uptake. Seemed sort of blase. In contrast to, say, Seguin who seems to have his "personal-management thing" down ... strengths of Crosby, Stamkos and the best of others.
Got it. I remember watching an interview of him on youtube where they asked him questions like his favorite food, movie and such, and he came off as kind of an ass.

I still hope he falls to the Ranger though.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:35 PM
gare joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I think we can all agree that the Kabanov thread was a trainwreck, and I've read some of your posts in other threads which leads me to believe I jumped the gun on a few things. Hoping the past is the past...

As one of the new class of American prospects coming from non-traditional hockey markets, Etem really intrigues me. What exactly do you mean about him being "cold-blooded"?
Well, he's a kid who had it all calculated from about age 14. Met and interviwed him at Shattuck at 15, saw him and casually talked at Ann Arbor a year later and then again met up this year at the Prospects. You know, I had thought he was one of these stage-managed kids but his parents knew not one thing about hockey. They were sort of mystified about it. Dad's a techie (engineer), not interested in sports in any way, mom just happy that son's happy. They said that he had the original idea of how this all would turn out ... Shattuck, Ann Arbor and WHL. A kid at Shattuck could get coaxed to do it the school way (especially a kid who plays on the prep at 15, like he did and Zach Parise couldn't). He didn't get coax, goes to Ann Arbor. At Ann Arbor I asked him school plans--he said, none, Med Hat, that he'd been there and liked it (!) and that it was the shortest route to the pros.

A very clear vision of what he wanted to do and how best to do it ... all from his own head. No agent in the mix at Shattuck. Makes an agent look sentimental by comparison. He understood he had talent. He figured out what it would take. I give him points for that ... and a kid who goes from California to small town Minnesota to Ann Arbor to the Hat is willing to do whatever it takes. Not a word of complaint about any of it.

Old
04-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Aristocles14

Thanks for all the information, its been very helpful.

I was also reading the Jeff Skinner posting and he too seems to be character player.

Aristocles14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Minister of Offence

Gudbranson's the poster boy for character in this draft. Strong character leads to a higher likelihood of potential reaching, and many think Gudbranson has the highest ceiling in the draft...If im at #3...I may justify my pick this way.

There's like an interview on youtube of him every 3 weeks since his rookie season, he handles an interview as good as any junior I've ever seen.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:54 AM
gare joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Gudbranson's the poster boy for character in this draft. Strong character leads to a higher likelihood of potential reaching, and many think Gudbranson has the highest ceiling in the draft...If im at #3...I may justify my pick this way.

There's like an interview on youtube of him every 3 weeks since his rookie season, he handles an interview as good as any junior I've ever seen.
Based on watching him on last year's (dreadful) Kingston team he was my favorite prospect coming into this season. I've interviewed him three times the last two seasons and he seems very sharp and confident. Very impressed. Minsk had to be a terrible disappointment and I just don't know what gives there. I have to believe that the effects of the mono didn't immediately manifest when he jumped back into the line-up this winter. I felt like he ran out of gas against Brampton and going to Minsk just compounded it.

Old
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Well, he's a kid who had it all calculated from about age 14. Met and interviwed him at Shattuck at 15, saw him and casually talked at Ann Arbor a year later and then again met up this year at the Prospects. You know, I had thought he was one of these stage-managed kids but his parents knew not one thing about hockey. They were sort of mystified about it. Dad's a techie (engineer), not interested in sports in any way, mom just happy that son's happy. They said that he had the original idea of how this all would turn out ... Shattuck, Ann Arbor and WHL. A kid at Shattuck could get coaxed to do it the school way (especially a kid who plays on the prep at 15, like he did and Zach Parise couldn't). He didn't get coax, goes to Ann Arbor. At Ann Arbor I asked him school plans--he said, none, Med Hat, that he'd been there and liked it (!) and that it was the shortest route to the pros.

A very clear vision of what he wanted to do and how best to do it ... all from his own head. No agent in the mix at Shattuck. Makes an agent look sentimental by comparison. He understood he had talent. He figured out what it would take. I give him points for that ... and a kid who goes from California to small town Minnesota to Ann Arbor to the Hat is willing to do whatever it takes. Not a word of complaint about any of it.
Wow, that's pretty impressive, especially given he's a California kid. Probably would have had plenty of opportunities to play football, baseball, or basketball but had his heart set on hockey. In any other year I would hope a guy like that (not to mention his talent) would be around where the Stars pick (usually mid-late 1st) but he would seem to be a bit of a reach at 11 this year(?), especially if there's a solid defenseman still lurking. That said, the Stars went a little off the board last year with Glennie and seem to have more confidence in their WHL scouts than any other region/country recently; if Etem ends up a Star I won't be totally surprised or worried. Thanks for the info.

Old
04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
gare joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Wow, that's pretty impressive, especially given he's a California kid. Probably would have had plenty of opportunities to play football, baseball, or basketball but had his heart set on hockey. In any other year I would hope a guy like that (not to mention his talent) would be around where the Stars pick (usually mid-late 1st) but he would seem to be a bit of a reach at 11 this year(?), especially if there's a solid defenseman still lurking. That said, the Stars went a little off the board last year with Glennie and seem to have more confidence in their WHL scouts than any other region/country recently; if Etem ends up a Star I won't be totally surprised or worried. Thanks for the info.
There is zero doubt -- I mean, zero -- that Dallas would have taken Kulikov if he weren't Russian. I can't stress the authority that I have that on. Just wouldn't go there in the top 10, a mistake as it turns out (so far). I think they'll look at defence if it's there ... but a dman as good as Kulikov won't be there and Forbort isn't quite that guy.

Old
04-27-2010, 07:16 PM
E-Mac

I'd love some insight into the top-ranked goalies, if anyone's able.

E-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:51 PM
JrHockey89

Erik Gudbranson is to the NHL draft, what Tim Tebow was to the NFL draft. The only difference is that Erik Gudbranson has a game that translates to the pro level.

The team that picks this kid will be the luckiest team in the draft. He's an A+ talent and even better person.

JrHockey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:49 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Mac View Post
I'd love some insight into the top-ranked goalies, if anyone's able.
I don't know first hand about Jack Campbell but he called into NHL Live on NHL Network the other day and sounded mature way beyond his years. He was articulate and very business like. I think whoever drafts him will be getting a great character guy.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:59 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
There is zero doubt -- I mean, zero -- that Dallas would have taken Kulikov if he weren't Russian. I can't stress the authority that I have that on. Just wouldn't go there in the top 10, a mistake as it turns out (so far). I think they'll look at defence if it's there ... but a dman as good as Kulikov won't be there and Forbort isn't quite that guy.
Damn, I was really really hoping they would take Kulikov last year. It almost pains me to hear they were that scared off by his being Russian, but given what we've heard about the Vishnevskiy situation I guess they are really worried about the Russian factor.

Old
04-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocles14 View Post

Gormley
Watson
I've interviewed Gormley twice -- once when he as at Notre Dame (Sask.) and once this past season. He's a good kid. Well spoken and smart. His coach in Moncton compares his playing style to that of Nicklas Lidstrom and both of his coaches say he's a hard worker and good teammate.

His D partner in Moncton, Mark Barberio, says Gormley is a treat to play with because he can move the puck quickly and smartly. Just as important, he is very calm with the puck -- sometimes waiting an extra split second to wait for an opening to make a pass.

He also shows great anticipation and poise under pressure. In a key game earlier this year, saw Gormley pick off a cross-ice pass while his team was trailing by two goals and down two men. He raced the length of the ice and tucked a backhander under the crossbar.

As for Watson, he's a team player. Went to Windsor as a highly-touted bonus baby and did the dirty work on the fourth line, killing penalties and blocking shots. Blocking a shot on the PK in the Prospects Game is how he hurt his ankle this year and caused him to miss a month.

Seemed like a good kid when I interviewed him. Knows the areas he needs to improve. Waived a no-trade clause to go from one of the best, if not the best, team in the OHL to the Petes. No hard feelings against the Spitfires. Says he learned a lot there and became a better -- and much more complete -- hockey player.

Last edited by Ryan Van Horne: 04-28-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Riley Sheahan likes his drinky: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=319796

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post

Seemed like a good kid when I interviewed him. Knows the areas he needs to improve. Waived a no-trade clause to go from one of the best, if not the best, team in the OHL to the Petes. No hard feelings against the Spitfires. Says he learned a lot there and became a better -- and much more complete -- hockey player.
Didn't even know they could get NTC's in junior...good on him for moving it, he knew what he was doing. More responsibility led to higher production from Watson and thus a better draft ranking.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote