HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Another season of Draper at $1.5 mil

Old
04-26-2010, 10:31 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post

Actually makes me sick to think about it.

We've got no options do we? If he retires he still counts against the cap due to his age? He plays about 7-8 minutes per night, he no longer plays on the PK, he no longer takes faceoffs, he is worthless.
I don't think Draper helps the team much anymore, even in a limited role. But $1.5 millions for one more year is nothing to be sick over.

I think Draper is a lot closer to being worth $1.5M than Rafalski is to being worth $6M or Cleary is to being worth $2.8M

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:43 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I just cringed

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:47 PM
SayNoToStim

I wish they'd pay him 750,000 and just leave a million dollars under his doormat in the middle of the night.

SayNoToStim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:52 PM
67coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I think Draper is a lot closer to being worth $1.5M than Rafalski is to being worth $6M or Cleary is to being worth $2.8M
Bob; you are exactly right.

If Raffi played as good for Detroit as he did in the Olympics he would be closer to $6M but that shot from the Blue line on the PP is a killer, it either goes in....or hits someone and causes a SH chance the other end there is no in between.

And CorbeauNoir: I think if you look at our PK stats since the Olympic break....Lilja is probably our most underated defenseman. He sured up our penalty kill and restored it to some kind of normalcy. Just saying

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:14 AM
SC2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post

Actually makes me sick to think about it.

We've got no options do we? If he retires he still counts against the cap due to his age? He plays about 7-8 minutes per night, he no longer plays on the PK, he no longer takes faceoffs, he is worthless.
Ouch. A player gives the best years of his life, giving his heart and soul every night so he's worthless?! Stay classy.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:48 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

I agree with that last comment. I think we should treat veterans who have done a lot for the organization with some respect and appreciation, but at the same time there is a day-to-day hockey operation going on and you can't ignore that because a guy is in high standing. Respect, yes, blind eye to poor play, no.

Draper is overpaid by some amount and it's obvious he is mostly there as a matter of continuity with the Wings teams of the past and I think there is a value to that kind of experience, that's a guy there who laced them up with Ciccarelli, Coffey, Sheppard, Yzerman, Fedorov, etc. and has over 200 career playoff appearances (which must put him in the top 5 of active players) and has won 4 Cups. Even if we think, he probably isn't a player worth his money in terms of on-ice abilities, you have to respect that.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:56 AM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

Draper is fine...
Sure he may take the odd bad pen here an there... but he has been there through thick and thin. He gets the job done when needed, and in his own ways.

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
Ouch. A player gives the best years of his life, giving his heart and soul every night so he's worthless?! Stay classy.
Again, what he did 10 years ago means nothing today. His contract amounts makes him useless to this team AT THIS POINT. He brings nothing than someone from the minors at 550k can bring. Other than leadership and this team has that already.

It's business, i do not understand why some fans cant figure that out. I guess they didn't learn from the year we missed due to the lockout.

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
RIGHT NOW? Yes, he is practically worthless. Worthless being that if you replaced him with Ritola, you wouldn't notice a difference.

You're trying to tell me you make him a healthy scratch tonight and it makes a scrap of difference? No. That's my definition of being worthless. Harsh? You bet, doesn't make it any less true.

Filppula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:35 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
Maybe Drapes will be the new assistant coach when McLain goes to Columbus this summer. Then they can have the benefit of his locker room presence without having to make up for his on-ice and cap-hit presence.

I hope Babs has some good candidates lined up because they can't afford to throw just any old coach in there. They lost a lot when McClellan left and McLain would be another huge blow. They are/were great assistants.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:29 PM
DetBigWangs

Don't think of it as 1.5M for Draper. It's more like the Wings are paying 1.5M to keep their reputation as "loyal" management. It's suppose to help in things like FA acquisition and contract negotiations.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:35 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
Don't think of it as 1.5M for Draper. It's more like the Wings are paying 1.5M to keep their reputation as "loyal" management. It's suppose to help in things like FA acquisition and contract negotiations.
^this. and ppl you got to understand that Detroit isnt going to win RIGHT NOW they are making a transition for the first time since the 80s-early 90s. Drapes is valuable to younger players to make their transition go smoother. He has not been good this year I agree BUT he is still a veteran red wing and loyalty>business imho.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
MrSandMan*

meh - I could think of about 10 other players to complain about before Draper and his measly $1.5 salary and 8 minutes of ice time. /shrugs

MrSandMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
500k Draper would be ok, so the prize for that "loyal" management reputation is only that extra 1.0 million.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 05:25 PM
jkrx

If anyone really think that the 1.5 million is the reason for Detroit cap troubles and Drapers play the reason for the teams poor performance thay are very very wrong.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:48 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWingIt19 View Post
Again, what he did 10 years ago means nothing today. His contract amounts makes him useless to this team AT THIS POINT. He brings nothing than someone from the minors at 550k can bring. Other than leadership and this team has that already.

It's business, i do not understand why some fans cant figure that out. I guess they didn't learn from the year we missed due to the lockout.
Fans and Holland. Don't forget Holland. It should read, "It's business, I do not understand why Holland and some fans can't figure that out."

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote