HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden looks like a goner, Avery maybe

Old
04-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
You're probably correct. Which is why a Redden-esque signing is not a offense that can be repeated again and again without consequences.
Heres a thought...tell these players if your getting paid 8 million dont suck

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
You can be sure if-when the Rangers get rid of Redden this way players who come to the Rangers afterwards will be alot more likely to demand and get a NMC.
They want a guaranteed contract, regardless of how they play? There's the door, don't let it hit them on the way out.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 11:44 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
They want a guaranteed contract, regardless of how they play? There's the door, don't let it hit them on the way out.
All NHL contracts are guaranteed.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 11:49 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
C'mon, you knew what he meant.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Crease

Quote:
Correct. I meant "guarantee spot on the roster".

Old
04-18-2010, 11:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Oh, gotcha. My fault.

Old
04-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Crease

Quote:
Oh, gotcha. My fault.
Yeah, yeah it is.

With so many third liners on the roster, what should the Rangers do? We have Anisimov, Aasen, Callahan, Drury, Avery, and Christensen (if we resign him). IMO, Anisimov and Aasen aren't ready for top-six minutes, and Callahan fits best on the third line. If only we could drop Drury and Avery and use the cap relief on a legit top-six guy.

Old
04-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Hockify

If there's a FA the Rangers want and they offer x money but another team offers X money with a NMC where does the player go? It's not like the Rangers are contenders right now. If the Rangers want a player bad enough they offer the NMC too. You can't just think Sather is gonna go "There's the door, don't let it hit them on the way out." to players he wants. Would it be nice, yes! This is Sather though. Don't mix up what you want to see with what we see him do.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 04:26 PM
johnsic

I think Redden would fit nicely in Caps. What do you think about this kind of deal?

Redden and Dubinsky for Poti and Nylander. Both Poti and Nylander have 1 year left and are paid 3,5 and 3m (cap hit 4,75m). Caps swallow Reddens contract and get Dubinsky as a reward.

johnsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsic View Post
I think Redden would fit nicely in Caps. What do you think about this kind of deal?

Redden and Dubinsky for Poti and Nylander. Both Poti and Nylander have 1 year left and are paid 3,5 and 3m (cap hit 4,75m). Caps swallow Reddens contract and get Dubinsky as a reward.
They would never take his contract. They're going to have their own cap issues in the next couple years, so Redden would cripple them.

And a defenseman like Redden, that's slow, can't contribute offensively and not physical would be a disaster in that system.

Old
04-20-2010, 05:49 AM
chosen

Quote:
I don't care what case I made. I haven't advocated for playing Avery more. I think he's fine with 13 minutes or so per night, it's a perfect role for him. You've never heard me "express that his ice time should be kept on the low end?" Great. Have you ever heard me express the opposite? No, because I've never said it.

As far as your last two paragraphs, you're off base. The Sixth Man award, as given in the NBA, look at the players that win...they're some excellent players. Many of them have been starters and All Stars both before and after winning the award. They're not thought of as less effective players, they're considered excellent players that maximize their effectiveness by contributing off the bench or in short spurts.

The same goes for a guy like Kris Jenkins in the NFL. He doesn't play every snap. If he does, he wears down and his game becomes less effective. Same goes for rush linebackers that post gaudy sack totals but only play half the defensive snaps. It's about maximizing their talent.

The same goes for subs that come off the bench in soccer. Guys that could easily start, but are extremely effective when they come to play only half a game.

So it's not a basic concept that goes back to the school yard. I'm surprised you wouldn't understand that.
If you are of the belief that a player who doesn't start and sees less time on the playing field than the player playing ahead of him than we are at an impasse.

I am happy that you don't think Avery should be playing a larger role, because all this whining from some of his supporters extolling his greatness at a reduced time is silly. While you understand Avery's role, other supporters of his believe he should be getting more ice time.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 08:04 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsic View Post

And in process they wouldnt have enough room to sign both Backstrom and Semin as well as couple lesser players. Not in our wildest dreams.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 08:32 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
And in process they wouldnt have enough room to sign both Backstrom and Semin as well as couple lesser players. Not in our wildest dreams.
Shhh, that's Sather's plan lol. Babboozle McFee or whatever the Captials GM's name is before July 1st and get them to take Redden. Then whe July 1st rolls around Sather makes an offer sheet to Backstrom and McFee can't match! lol

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:36 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

What if we waive redden and somebody picks him up through waivers....what happens then? Don't we still have the 50% that counts against our cap b/c he was picked up? The entire cap hit will be eliminated only if he clears and goes to the minors right?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:39 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
What if we waive redden and somebody picks him up through waivers....what happens then? Don't we still have the 50% that counts against our cap b/c he was picked up? The entire cap hit will be eliminated only if he clears and goes to the minors right?
No, if he gets taken off of waivers we are free and clear.... If he clears and we decide to call him back up then he goes on re-entry waivers and thats when someone can snag him and saddle us with half the cost.

basically, once hes down he's down.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:41 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
If the Rangers waive Redden, and some team is crazy enough to claim him, the Rangers are not responsible for any money. If he clears and goes to Hartford his $6.5 million salary is completely off the salary cap. If the Rangers put him on re-entry waivers for some reason and a team claims him, then they are on the hook for 50% of is salary for the remainder of the contract, or $3.25 million for another 4 years.

Old
04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Crease

Quote:
Redden will be put on waivers. If someone picks him up, he comes off the Rangers books. If he doesn't get picked up, he gets sent down to Hartford and comes off the Rangers cap. Only on re-entry to the Rangers can a team pick him up and the Rangers would be on the hook for half his cap hit.

Old
04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
No team would take Redden at 3.25 either.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 08:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Appreciate the quick responses guys.

Old
04-27-2010, 08:53 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
If the Rangers waive Redden, and some team is crazy enough to claim him, the Rangers are not responsible for any money. If he clears and goes to Hartford his $6.5 million salary is completely off the salary cap. If the Rangers put him on re-entry waivers for some reason and a team claims him, then they are on the hook for 50% of is salary for the remainder of the contract, or $3.25 million for another 4 years.
So I'm guesing the reason he wasn't waived during the season was? We didn't have nhl ready d-men? Or maybe Sather wants to try dealing him...or something like that...

Old
04-27-2010, 08:58 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Trade an under-achieving defenseman making $6.5 million dollars for the next 4 years? Psssh, give Sather a REAL challenge. I really wouldn't be too surprised if he managed to unload Redden on another team somehow. Even though I know it's pretty much impossible.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:03 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
So I'm guesing the reason he wasn't waived during the season was? We didn't have nhl ready d-men? Or maybe Sather wants to try dealing him...or something like that...
Probably because there were no real NHL ready D-men, at least in their eyes. Sauer was hurt, Sangs was struggling a bit, don't know what was wrong with Heikkenan. That combined with the struggles of Gilroy and that waiving Redden during the season would really do anything, unless they wanted to make a trade and bring in another big contract.