HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Injury Hurts Us the Most?

Old
04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
OK folks, I realize there's a Lappy love fest going on, but...

Carter is our best goal scorer.

Carter is our only center with size.

Carter was playing the most even strength minutes of our forwards against the Devs, I believe.

And, last but not least, Jeff Carter is a good PKer. Only reason he wasn't killing penalties against the Devs is because of the foot I'm pretty sure, and by now it may have healed to the point where they could have put him in that position without fearing further injury too bad.

Frankly, Gagne is a more valuable player than Lappy. Why? He's also a PKer, and a significantly more valuable player at even strength and also does the PP (which Lappy doesn't do).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:32 AM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Lappy. With all the freaking penalties called in these playoffs, losing a guy like him is huge. With all the penalties we take. Someone will need to step up like Powe or Giroux.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:37 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Our whole PK has been effective in the playoffs so far, not just Betts-Lappy. It's easy to notice blocked shots, but the other guys play a more aggressive PK style and force turnovers and bad shots rather than sliding and blocking as much. Losing Lappy hurts our depth and forces us to maybe overuse guys who weren't spending as much time on the PK, but we could survive without Lappy. If Carter and Gagne weren't hurt but Lappy was, would we really be as doom and gloom?

In this case, it might be the straw that broke the camel's back though.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:49 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Of Carter, Gagne, and Laperriere, who is the team going to miss the most and why?

I'd go with Carter, Lappy, Gagne, but am tempted to put Lappy ahead of Carter just because I think it's going to become very clear how much we need him on the PK when we take 8 penalties a game and the Caps (probably, maybe B's) are scoring 3 PP goals per game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I'd say Lappy, Gagne, Carter.

Carter didn't do too much besides the game he got hurt. Gagne at least had been killing penalties and being physical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Lappy. With all the freaking penalties called in these playoffs, losing a guy like him is huge. With all the penalties we take. Someone will need to step up like Powe or Giroux.
You guys can't be serious. Carter at 100% is our BIGGEST offensive threat on the ice, and our team is having trouble SCORING GOALS. He is also a good PK'er.

This isn't even close. Carter by a mile. Gagne is up there also, sure, but he is a smaller, worse puck handling version of Carter who plays wing.

Lappy is a 4th liner with heart and soul. Love the guy, but seriously? Lappy ahead of Carter or Gagne? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
It's Carter by a god damn mile. Is this even a serious question? Lappy is a hell of a player, but you can teach good penalty killing to almost anyone who's willing to do it. Gagne is a good defender and when he starts scoring can be a hell of a player, but he has been cool for a while. You can't teach people to skate like Carter, be 63'', or shoot like he does. Plus he plays very good defense as a center...Like I said, Carter by a longshot.

If we had Carter healthy tomorrow I would honestly like our chances against anyone in the East. We'd be at worst a coin flip versus any of the teams left IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
+1. People love guys like Lappy because they are all heart, but lets be real.
agreed

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:49 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I'm going to say Lappy, because we are already starting to stretch our depth thin, he just makes it much more worse

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:10 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I'm going to say Lappy, because we are already starting to stretch our depth thin, he just makes it much more worse
You might as well be saying having 3 guys hurt is worse than having 2. Of course that's true.

But if you could pick one guy to be hurt of the three and have it damage the team's chances the most, it's not Laperriere.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Our whole PK has been effective in the playoffs so far, not just Betts-Lappy. It's easy to notice blocked shots, but the other guys play a more aggressive PK style and force turnovers and bad shots rather than sliding and blocking as much. Losing Lappy hurts our depth and forces us to maybe overuse guys who weren't spending as much time on the PK, but we could survive without Lappy. If Carter and Gagne weren't hurt but Lappy was, would we really be as doom and gloom?

In this case, it might be the straw that broke the camel's back though.
Carter was, as Jester noted, one of our key PKers, as was Gagne, who was fantastic vs. NJ.

Normal rotation late in the year before Carter got hurt the first time, iirc, was:

Betts-Lappy
Gagne-Richards
Carter-Powe

After Carter came back playing hurt, Giroux played in the third pairing with Powe.

Last year, Hartnell did do a lot of PK work, I don't see why he couldn't do some more now. And Kalinski, Nodl or Ross are all capable of stepping in to help for the inevitable double minors we are going to get screwed with...

Now?

Betts-Powe
Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Kalinski?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:26 PM
jb**

Quote:
It's Carter by a god damn mile. Is this even a serious question? Lappy is a hell of a player, but you can teach good penalty killing to almost anyone who's willing to do it. Gagne is a good defender and when he starts scoring can be a hell of a player, but he has been cool for a while. You can't teach people to skate like Carter, be 63'', or shoot like he does. Plus he plays very good defense as a center...Like I said, Carter by a longshot.

If we had Carter healthy tomorrow I would honestly like our chances against anyone in the East. We'd be at worst a coin flip versus any of the teams left IMO.
yep. Lappy is a distant 3rd and that is not a knock on him at all.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:30 PM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

My heart says Lappy.

My brain says Carter.

Goota say, I trust my brain on this one.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
They are all bad losses because they all put an AHL player into the roster.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Garbage Goal

When Carter is on his game being the goal-scoring machine that he is, it's him. Otherwise, it's Lappy or Gagne.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The proper answer.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 04:36 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I love Lappy, he brings it all every night but people are severely overrating what he brings to this team. Sure he's a great penalty killer, but we've got guys that can kill penalties as well. We've still got Richards, Betts, Powe, Giroux, and potentially Kalinski/Nodl. Not an ideal switch, but we're not going to be on the PK the entire game. What Lappy does can be replaced. We're missing our 2nd best two-way forward in Gagne, and our leading goalscorer in Carter.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I love Lappy, he brings it all every night but people are severely overrating what he brings to this team. Sure he's a great penalty killer, but we've got guys that can kill penalties as well. We've still got Richards, Betts, Powe, Giroux, and potentially Kalinski/Nodl. Not an ideal switch, but we're not going to be on the PK the entire game. What Lappy does can be replaced. We're missing our 2nd best two-way forward in Gagne, and our leading goalscorer in Carter.
Because we aren't allowed to do 'fixed' posts, I've fixed it below:

Not an ideal switch, but we're not going to be on the PK the entire game or we're screwed whether Lappy is in or not.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:00 PM
mm6492

Carter.

Best goal scorer, our "big" center, plays good defense, best wrist shot ion the team, penalty kill, powerplay.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
If Kalinski gets called up, I think it's a discredit to him to call him an AHL player. Yes, he plays in the AHL, but I'm pretty sure he's proven himself capable of being on a team's lower line(s).

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

lappy by far.... take away the PK take away the fact he puts his body into each puck, hes been consistent in his play all year and in the playoffs. carter turned it on 1 game and got injured. we dont know how that will have panned out. but in terms of hurting us the most, well its lappy. who knows what could happen with him. hes got a brain contusion. what are the longterm affects of that? its the same concern i had with gags before.

broken feet heal. lappys presence has too many intangibles that go with it. what would be catastrophic is if we lost bettsy also

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:55 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
it can. now other then betts,show me who else is willing to do it with the frequency as he does.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:05 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
OK folks, I realize there's a Lappy love fest going on, but...

Carter is our best goal scorer.

Carter is our only center with size.

Carter was playing the most even strength minutes of our forwards against the Devs, I believe.

And, last but not least, Jeff Carter is a good PKer. Only reason he wasn't killing penalties against the Devs is because of the foot I'm pretty sure, and by now it may have healed to the point where they could have put him in that position without fearing further injury too bad.
I've got nothing more to add. And I don't think it's close.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:06 PM
DrHamburg

Losing lappy kills, he was on a 4th line that outplayed the other teams 4th line pretty much all season. He also plays on the PK every shift he is able which allows our other guys to not have to play as much which is huge. He also brings intangibles and the other players absolutely love him. Skill wise losing carter hurts more. They each bring different things to the table

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:43 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
The only thing about losing Lappy is that it he is far easier for everyone to rally around than Gagne and Carter. . . after he went out of the game EVERYONE was jumping in front of shots. They didn't play a bad shift the rest of the game. Even when the Devils were throwing everything at them in the final minutes, the Flyers didn't back down.

Not saying guys wouldn't step up with Gagne and Carter out, but not in the way they'll do it for a stanley cup winning veteran player who has now blocked TWO shots with his face.

So i guess back to the question . . . it is worse losing Carter than Gagne, but it could actually be a bit of a godsend with Lappy out even though he was such a great role guy on the ice.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:05 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

Someone should teach Carter about being 6'3".

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:18 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Boston's PP sucks anyway. Don't let Chara shoot, and you're fine. They were 23rd in the regular season.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

The Flyers won without Carter this year, didn't they? When they were absent Lap and Betts, hoo boy, they stank.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Someone should teach Carter about being 6'3".
Very true.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote