HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End of the line for Sather?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2010, 08:44 AM
  #176
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Guys...you don't want Sather to stay, don't want Mess, don't want Risebrough, have reservations regarding Schoenfeld.....

Who do want?

How about we pull an Islanders move and name Redden GM? We transfer his 6 mill salary hit to the front office and get him off the books!

Or Drury?

LOL
I'd take Gordie Clark as GM. We know he has a good eye for talent, prospect wise, i'm sure he has a good eye to NHL players (That he once evaluated as a scout and head scout with the Rangers) to make trades and sign UFA's.

And don't forget, Snow has a business degree! (From Michigan, which is not too shabby) lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 01:12 PM
  #177
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Guys...you don't want Sather to stay, don't want Mess, don't want Risebrough, have reservations regarding Schoenfeld.....

Who do want?

How about we pull an Islanders move and name Redden GM? We transfer his 6 mill salary hit to the front office and get him off the books!

Or Drury?

LOL
That didn't happen the Islanders bought out Snow's last year and it was part of their cap hit.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:11 PM
  #178
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
19. The Rangers killed rumours last week that Glen Sather was going to drop the GM title (be president only) with Doug Risebrough taking over. Risebrough is somewhat in demand. He's a serious contender for the Tampa job and, if San Jose makes a change, he has a connection with president and CEO Greg Jamison.

20. Wherever Risebrough goes, Tom Thompson, his right-hand man from Minnesota, is going too.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...nucks-mvp.html

Risebrough and Thompson have a long time connection. They were together in Calgary. When Risebrough worked for Slats in Edmonton,Thompson was an Oiler scout. When Risebrough went to the Wild,Thompson joined him.

Quote:
Thompson, 54 (6/24/53), joined the Wild staff after spending two years (1997-99) as a Scout for the Edmonton Oilers. His scouting duties with the Oilers covered college, major junior and international hockey. Prior to his tenure with Edmonton, he served 12 years with the Calgary Flames, the last three years (1994-97) as the Director of Amateur Scouting after serving nine years (1985-94) as a Scout for the organization.
http://wild.nhl.com/club/page.htm?bcid=tea_Thompson

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:15 PM
  #179
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...nucks-mvp.html

Risebrough and Thompson have a long time connection. They were together in Calgary. When Risebrough worked for Slats in Edmonton,Thompson was an Oiler scout. When Risebrough went to the Wild,Thompson joined him.



http://wild.nhl.com/club/page.htm?bcid=tea_Thompson
If San Jose makes a change, I would not mind seeing the Rangers hire Doug Wilson. I don't care that SJ hasn't won, he's a solid GM.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
  #180
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
If San Jose makes a change, I would not mind seeing the Rangers hire Doug Wilson. I don't care that SJ hasn't won, he's a solid GM.
Agreed he has built a power house... that just cant seem to get it together.. only so muchthe gm can do.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:52 PM
  #181
we want cup
Ants in the Pants
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 11,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
If San Jose makes a change, I would not mind seeing the Rangers hire Doug Wilson. I don't care that SJ hasn't won, he's a solid GM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Agreed he has built a power house... that just cant seem to get it together.. only so muchthe gm can do.
Definitely agree. He'd be an excellent choice. Why the **** can I not help but be terrified that we're gonna have to deal with Mess as GM, though?

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
  #182
CrimsonBruin21
 
CrimsonBruin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
And don't forget, Snow has a business degree! (From Michigan, which is not too shabby) lol
Correction: U. Maine

Honestly- Snow hasn't been half the disaster I thought he'd be...

That said- I wouldn't exactly recommend that approach.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
  #183
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
Correction: U. Maine

Honestly- Snow hasn't been half the disaster I thought he'd be...

That said- I wouldn't exactly recommend that approach.
I hear that a lot from isles fans, but really when you look at it how much worse could he have been? He had a playoff team, traded three first round draft picks (two former) for a rental, lost in the first round. And since then they've been a bottom feeder in the NHL. Sorry, but I don't really see how anyone could think he's been anything other than bad.


Last edited by Kel Varnsen: 04-28-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:37 PM
  #184
CrimsonBruin21
 
CrimsonBruin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I hear that a lot from isles fans, but really when you look at it how much worse could he have been? He had a playoff team, traded three draft picks for a rental, lost in the first round. And since then they've been a bottom feeder in the NHL. Sorry, but I don't really see how anyone could think he's been anything other than bad.
I would neither sing Snow's praises nor bash him- but I'd give him an "incomplete". Milbury handed Snow (via Smith) a somewhat talented but woefully under-achieving professional roster with zero character or leadership and a completely barren farm system. 4 years later we're a high character group low on talent with some promising young players (Tavares, Okposo, Bailey) and prospects (Hamonic, de Haan, Petrov, Donovan) and the 5th overall pick coming up in June (possibly one of Connolly/Gudbranson/Fowler/Gormley). Not great. Not side-splitting hilariously bad as many of us thought Snow would be though either. Incomplete.

I stick by my original point though... I wouldn't recommend it.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:42 PM
  #185
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
I would neither sing Snow's praises nor bash him- but I'd give him an "incomplete". Milbury handed Snow (via Smith) a somewhat talented but woefully under-achieving professional roster with zero character or leadership and a completely barren farm system. 4 years later we're a high character group low on talent with some promising young players (Tavares, Okposo, Bailey) and prospects (Hamonic, de Haan, Petrov, Donovan) and the 5th overall pick coming up in June (possibly one of Connolly/Gudbranson/Fowler/Gormley). Not great. Not side-splitting hilariously bad as many of us thought Snow would be though either. Incomplete.

I stick by my original point though... I wouldn't recommend it.
You know that Smyth trade sucked BUT they must have thought they could resign him and Smyth is a great leader and is great with young players. It would have been a brilliant move if he had resigned, it just didnt work out. "ya win some, ya lose some".

Overall I give him credit about building the correct way however I am not sure I am in love with the way he drafts, only time will tell. Bailey and De Haan I thought were taken far too high.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:45 PM
  #186
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I hear that a lot from isles fans, but really when you look at it how much worse could he have been? He had a playoff team, traded three draft picks for a rental, lost in the first round. And since then they've been a bottom feeder in the NHL. Sorry, but I don't really see how anyone could think he's been anything other than bad.
All of these points are half-truths and highly subjective in nature. Both myself and others have explained that to you in detail in the past.

To quote myself:

Quote:
What do you mean? Essentially, he traded a first round pick for a rental player. Players of Smyth's stature usually command such a return in that situation. O'Marra is nothing and Nilsson is a total scrub who'll be playing in Sweden before long. You can't criticize Snow for drafting either of those players, because he didn't. Milbury, the only NHL exec that surpasses Sather in completely failing to understand logical concepts and themes prevalent around the league, drafted those losers.

Snow traded one first round pick and banished two scrubs who weren't "his" guys for a rental of Ryan Smyth, with the added chance of wooing him to stay. He didn't, he's a country boy. But they tried.

This was actually a pretty shrewd move on the part of Snow. Not to mention ballsy. He's doing a solid job, a couple of early setbacks aside. Of course I'd rather have him than Sather. Garth Snow gets it. Like most of the GMs in this league, he gets what's going on, how the league works, and what's necessary to win in this league in its current state, and he's doing this all under MUCH different, and more stressful circumstances than your boy Slats is. Sather doesn't get it. Remember who Snow signed the same summer Sather ****ed us till 2014 by signing Redden AND Rozsival.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
  #187
haohmaru
boomshakalaka
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 6,743
vCash: 500
Snow hasn't been around long enough as GM to criticize him nor has he accomplished anything of worth to praise him. Jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:03 PM
  #188
CrimsonBruin21
 
CrimsonBruin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Snow hasn't been around long enough as GM to criticize him nor has he accomplished anything of worth to praise him. Jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.
1000% agreed.

The fact that we're even saying that 3-4 years out is a "minor victory" for Snow though. We have to grant him that. Most of us thought he would have completely nuked the franchise single-handedly by now...

Honestly- just try to imagine what this board and Ranger-fandom generally would be like if Dolan came out tomorrow and appointed Alex Auld GM. I mean come on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Overall I give him credit about building the correct way however I am not sure I am in love with the way he drafts, only time will tell. Bailey and De Haan I thought were taken far too high.
Tend to agree with you. I would have gone with Schenn in '08 for sure. Snow and his regime seem to have a "Josh McDaniels" style of drafting. Look for character, intelligence and hockey sense above all else, to hell with the "value chart"- and move heaven and earth to get "your guys". As with McDaniels though- only time will tell if these guys know what the hell they're doing...


Last edited by CrimsonBruin21: 04-28-2010 at 07:13 PM.
CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
  #189
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
All of these points are half-truths and highly subjective in nature. Both myself and others have explained that to you in detail in the past.

To quote myself:
First off, there are no subjective half truths in what I said. Three first round picks (two being former first rounders). I disclosed that they weren't all in the future.

Now, maybe it's time to climb back of that ledge there...

Here's the major problem I have with your "analysis". You've been calling for the rangers to trade away everyone who isn't a part of the long term plan and begging sather not to go after any rentals at the deadline because they couldn't win the cup this year. Yet you commend Garth on "ballsy" move to trade youth (former first round youth) and a first round pick for a rental with the squad he had that year!!! Because they were a legit cup threat with Smyth right?

Hello hypocrisy.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:27 PM
  #190
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
First off, there are no subjective half truths in what I said. Three first round picks (two being former first rounders). I disclosed that they weren't all in the future.

Now, maybe it's time to climb back of that ledge there...
You said three draft picks, right? I don't see you disclosing anything, other than trying to put forward an image that he traded three pieces of the future for a rental player, when in fact, that isn't what he did at all.

He traded two huge busts, neither of whom were drafted by him, and one draft pick for a rental player. Big difference.

Quote:
Here's the major problem I have with your "analysis". You've been calling for the rangers to trade away everyone who isn't a part of the long term plan and begging sather not to go after any rentals at the deadline because they couldn't win the cup this year. Yet you commend Garth on "ballsy" move to trade youth (former first round youth) and a first round pick for a rental with the squad he had that year!!! Because they were a legit cup threat with Smyth right?

Hello hypocrisy.
I don't commend him for trading a first round pick for a rental. I commend him for trading a mid-round first (also a key point) for a guy that would have been a very nice veteran leader for a young rebuilding team, because that's really what Smyth is: a glorified role player who is well-respected and a good role model for young players, while also trying to secure a playoff position for a team that has far different off-ice challenges to deal with than this team does. The Rangers don't have to worry about relocation, or attendance, for that matter. Again, this wasn't a trade just for a rental. They wanted to keep Smyth, and they tried to do so. In losing him, however, they didn't lose THAT much, because all they really gave up was ONE first round pick.

If this team was rebuilding, I'd like to see Chris Drury remain on the roster, much in the same capacity.

You also forget the impact that DiPietro's injuries have had on their team, and the way they have had to build their teams since.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:15 AM
  #191
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,057
vCash: 500
Steve Yzerman is being considered for the TB GM job along with Leafs VP Dave Nonis and Doug Risebrough

Quote:
Holland said Yzerman has gained enough experience in the various aspects of running a team.

"He's absolutely ready to be a GM,'' Holland said. "The biggest thing for a GM is knowing people in the industry. It's about knowing who to hire as amateur scouts, pro scouts, etc. He's been in the (management) business for four years, he's built relationships with people in the industry.

"He's got experience evaluating players. He's been in our meetings on a regular basis. All those experiences and conversations add to your information base.''

A team source said Holland will be signed to a contract extension after the season. He has one more year remaining on his deal and will continue to serve as GM for the foreseeable future.

Assistant GM Jim Nill, who also has one year left on his deal, also will be signed to an extension after the season, unless he opts to pursue a general manager's job after his contract expires.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....-+MLive.com%29

Messier has been in the management business for 1 season. His current position is basically a little bit of everything. Messier doesn't have Yzerman's experience. However,the Wings don't rely on Yzerman's hockey acumen when they have Holland who continues to churn out winning teams for nearly 20 years.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:25 AM
  #192
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Sources close to the Tampa Bay Lightning say Dave Nonis, Steve Yzerman and Doug Risebrough are believed to be high on new Lightning owner Jeff Vinik's short list of potential GMs.

Sources say the Red Wings have granted permission for Tampa Bay to speak with Yzerman, currently a vice president in Detroit.

Yzerman won't comment on the possibility, although his interest in making the move now may be amplified by the fact Detroit will soon announce Ken Holland's contract extension as executive vice president and general manager.

Dave Nonis, the senior vice president of hockey operations for the Toronto Maple Leafs is considered the frontrunner, although, if Yzerman, the executive director for Canada's Olympic gold medal team, is genuinely interested in the job, that could change.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=319835

Burke would hate to lose Nonis. He lost Nieuwendyk last spring to the Stars. Burke hired Dave Poulin to replace Nieuwendyk. Poulin would probably replace Nonis. Burke was Poulin's agent before Burke joined the Canucks as Pat Quinn's assistant in 1987. Poulin and Brian Propp were the best PK duo in the 1980's. Probably one of the best ever.

Risebrough may get shut out of a GM job. He could stay on with the Rangers as a top assistant to Messier and/or Sather. Holland talked about relationships. Messier hired Risebrough for Team Canada.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:55 AM
  #193
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You said three draft picks, right? I don't see you disclosing anything, other than trying to put forward an image that he traded three pieces of the future for a rental player, when in fact, that isn't what he did at all.

He traded two huge busts, neither of whom were drafted by him, and one draft pick for a rental player. Big difference.

I don't commend him for trading a first round pick for a rental. I commend him for trading a mid-round first (also a key point) for a guy that would have been a very nice veteran leader for a young rebuilding team, because that's really what Smyth is: a glorified role player who is well-respected and a good role model for young players, while also trying to secure a playoff position for a team that has far different off-ice challenges to deal with than this team does. The Rangers don't have to worry about relocation, or attendance, for that matter. Again, this wasn't a trade just for a rental. They wanted to keep Smyth, and they tried to do so. In losing him, however, they didn't lose THAT much, because all they really gave up was ONE first round pick.

If this team was rebuilding, I'd like to see Chris Drury remain on the roster, much in the same capacity.

You also forget the impact that DiPietro's injuries have had on their team, and the way they have had to build their teams since.
What a bunch of hypocritical crap. If Sather had made the same move you would have lost your mind and would find a way to bring up how awful and detrimental the move was in every post.

But somehow, because its Snow, its commendable.

I am not sure whether to laugh or cry.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.