HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

My own tape to tape/skill pad

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2010, 11:34 PM
  #1
wondeROY
Registered User
 
wondeROY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
My own tape to tape/skill pad

I think there was a thread for this a while back but I couldn't find it, sorry if its a re-tread. But I made my own skill pad this weekend, or tape to tape, whatever you want to call it. I did a slightly different variation of it, instead of just strapping a bungee cord to an acrylic sheet, I bought a 2x4 and nailed the bungee cord to it. Pics and video of result. I'm very happy with the results, I might add a 3rd sheet to lengthen it, the width is great but a bit more length would be nice.

Here you go.
Direct YT link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH_ymgs1Fkg





wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:55 PM
  #2
FloPoErich
Registered User
 
FloPoErich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
what kind of sheets did you use? I like that alot.

FloPoErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:05 AM
  #3
wondeROY
Registered User
 
wondeROY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloPoErich View Post
what kind of sheets did you use? I like that alot.
Its mentioned in the video..but here...these kind. Acrylic lighting panels-prismatic white, home depot.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:17 AM
  #4
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Dude, that's a great Idea. Nice job! I would recommend using a dry erase marker boards that they also sell at home depot. It comes in a full panel sheet which is about 12 feet. I also did a dry-land slide board with the dry erase marker board and it works pretty good. Just use socks! Here's a blue print for that.



Maybe you can use this slide board with your tape to tape pad!

Head coach

__________________
Hundreds of Hockey Drill for FREE at http://www.passthepuck.net
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:18 AM
  #5
FloPoErich
Registered User
 
FloPoErich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
How much were the panels? When I made mine, i used a sheet of plexiglass that cost about $35

FloPoErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:29 AM
  #6
wondeROY
Registered User
 
wondeROY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Dude, that's a great Idea. Nice job! I would recommend using a dry erase marker boards that they also sell at home depot. It comes in a full panel sheet which is about 12 feet. I also did a dry-land slide board with the dry erase marker board and it works pretty good. Just use socks! Here's a blue print for that.



Maybe you can use this slide board with your tape to tape pad!

Head coach
Thanks! Wow i didnt know they sold dry erase boards in 12 foot sections, are these at home depot also? Do they slide as well as the lighting panels that i used? The thing I like most about these panels is how incredibly well it slides, its amazingly a lot like real ice.

What kind of price are we talking on a 12 foot erase board?

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:33 AM
  #7
wondeROY
Registered User
 
wondeROY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloPoErich View Post
How much were the panels? When I made mine, i used a sheet of plexiglass that cost about $35
Again, thats in the video too, I advise you to watch it.
$8 each

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:52 AM
  #8
FloPoErich
Registered User
 
FloPoErich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
I will, my phone is picky about which youtube vids it will watch! Thanks for posting this.

FloPoErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
  #9
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Thanks! Wow i didnt know they sold dry erase boards in 12 foot sections, are these at home depot also? Do they slide as well as the lighting panels that i used? The thing I like most about these panels is how incredibly well it slides, its amazingly a lot like real ice.

What kind of price are we talking on a 12 foot erase board?
Yeah, they sell them at Home Depot and Lowes. The cool thing is you can stand on it. Where as if you stand on the lighting panel, it will crack. I have to run to home depot today, I will check the price and get back with you.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:03 AM
  #10
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Even better is if you can pick up some hockey boards from a rink that is replacing theirs. My local arena was taking all of theirs out, so I asked for one and they said sure. It is big, the puck slides nicely on it, very durable, and best of all FREE!

Another good training aid to build yourself is a big triangle and wrap it with bungee cords, that way you have three side so you can skate around and practice forehand, backhand and one timers. Put a bucket of pucks on top to help keep it still (if you are on the ice)

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:54 AM
  #11
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Again, thats in the video too, I advise you to watch it.
$8 each
Ok, so I went to Home Depot yesterday and the cost of this dry erase marker board is $11.89 for a sheet that is 4 x 8. Hope this helps!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:33 AM
  #12
wondeROY
Registered User
 
wondeROY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Ok, so I went to Home Depot yesterday and the cost of this dry erase marker board is $11.89 for a sheet that is 4 x 8. Hope this helps!

Head coach
Thanks, I was there the other day and saw those, I decided since I already have the 2 sheets i just wanted a bit more length, so I added a 3rd sheet and now its perfect.

Here's an updated video with the 3rd sheet attached.
There's a couple other videos of it with different pucks and lubes if you want to check them out, they're on my YT page.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
  #13
BLKHKhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Those lighting panels are exactly what I used last fall, but I only had one. How did you connect them so smoothly?

Be aware: these sheets are extremely fragile and will crack and chip like a taco shell.

BLKHKhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:51 PM
  #14
wondeROY
Registered User
 
wondeROY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHKhockey View Post
Those lighting panels are exactly what I used last fall, but I only had one. How did you connect them so smoothly?

Be aware: these sheets are extremely fragile and will crack and chip like a taco shell.
I used gorilla tape to tape them together on the underside, works perfectly. I haven't cracked one yet, then again I don't really shoot off my pad, basically used for stick handling drills. And i use this thing about 4x week.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 04:16 PM
  #15
NomadFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Dude, that's a great Idea. Nice job! I would recommend using a dry erase marker boards that they also sell at home depot. It comes in a full panel sheet which is about 12 feet. I also did a dry-land slide board with the dry erase marker board and it works pretty good. Just use socks! Here's a blue print for that.



Maybe you can use this slide board with your tape to tape pad!

Head coach
Slight bump of this thread, mostly because summer's coming up!

How does the dry erase board hold up with shooting practice? I'm thinking of submitting something for beav's slapshot challenge, but I'd be starting completely from scratch - i.e. no net, no skill pad, no radar gun - and funds are a bit of an issue. Would using the dry erase board for that purpose hold up on slapshots or is that a bad idea as well?

In any event, I'd probably still try to finagle this kind of setup so I could also continue working on stickhandling and such. Do you just lay it on the ground and you're good to go, or do you spray it down with anything?

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:09 PM
  #16
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadFan View Post
Slight bump of this thread, mostly because summer's coming up!

How does the dry erase board hold up with shooting practice? I'm thinking of submitting something for beav's slapshot challenge, but I'd be starting completely from scratch - i.e. no net, no skill pad, no radar gun - and funds are a bit of an issue. Would using the dry erase board for that purpose hold up on slapshots or is that a bad idea as well?

In any event, I'd probably still try to finagle this kind of setup so I could also continue working on stickhandling and such. Do you just lay it on the ground and you're good to go, or do you spray it down with anything?
Just bought my Acrylic board today, it's clear a little bit thicker than those sheets shown in the video. It is 36 x 48, enough room to do what ever I need it to do. The trick is finding something to hold down the acrylic when placing in the bungee cord.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:28 PM
  #17
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
good work, man.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:44 PM
  #18
dabeechman
Registered User
 
dabeechman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,749
vCash: 500
Don't recommend the dry erase board if you plan on shooting off of it. Works alright for stick handling though.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 01:19 AM
  #19
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain
 
Jerry Lundegaard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,033
vCash: 500
I made a simple tape to tape the other day.

I use a light coating of WD40. works great.

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 07:58 AM
  #20
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Don't recommend the dry erase board if you plan on shooting off of it. Works alright for stick handling though.
I'm curious why you think this.

I've taken about 3,500 shots so far on mine, and it's holding up just fine. About 2,000 of those were slapshots, and another 500 were one timers with the tape2tape so I'm not exactly taking it easy on the board. (I had to lay off the slapshots lately because my lower hand is sore from the impact of so many shots.)

So far there are a few spots where it was grabbing pucks on slapshots because I hadn't sprayed the silicone lubricant on it in a while, and it has a few superficial scratches from when I wore through the tape, and a small portion of my blade, and that exposed blade wore sharp. (hey when you're in a rhythm, you keep going.)

At this pace I may need a new one next year.

at $11, I can buy a new one for the next 8 years before it would have been cheaper to buy a much smaller "shooting pad"

Having the extra room though is fantastic, as I can start at the back of the pad, stickhandle, move forward on the pad and shoot to simulate shooting in stride.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 09:55 AM
  #21
rinkrat22
Registered User
 
rinkrat22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'm curious why you think this.

I've taken about 3,500 shots so far on mine, and it's holding up just fine. About 2,000 of those were slapshots, and another 500 were one timers with the tape2tape so I'm not exactly taking it easy on the board. (I had to lay off the slapshots lately because my lower hand is sore from the impact of so many shots.)
So far there are a few spots where it was grabbing pucks on slapshots because I hadn't sprayed the silicone lubricant on it in a while, and it has a few superficial scratches from when I wore through the tape, and a small portion of my blade, and that exposed blade wore sharp. (hey when you're in a rhythm, you keep going.)

At this pace I may need a new one next year.

at $11, I can buy a new one for the next 8 years before it would have been cheaper to buy a much smaller "shooting pad"

Having the extra room though is fantastic, as I can start at the back of the pad, stickhandle, move forward on the pad and shoot to simulate shooting in stride.
I feel your pain, sucks getting old.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 01:12 PM
  #22
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain
 
Jerry Lundegaard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,033
vCash: 500
I have yet to bring mine outside and take shots off it. I got it set up in the house to practice stick handling. I need to get a board to stand on to simulate the height of being on skates. I guess I could throw on inline skates but I really try to avoid putting on inlines

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 09:07 PM
  #23
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!
 
gojacketsgo61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,723
vCash: 500
I would not recommend plexi-glass i tried it and it cracked after a few slappers. So I'm using atm those magic carpet snow sled things, there decent but gonna get a hockeyshot.com skill pad. There HDPE I think and I know how to easily add a tape 2 tape passer.

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 09:25 PM
  #24
Razzmatazz
Registered User
 
Razzmatazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
Who's used the Thrifty whiteboards, and how do you like them?

I was going home and planning on spending my Memorial weekend making myself a few skill pads to work with, probably getting a couple of them, keeping the first one as a whole piece screwed to a ply-board, and then getting another one and having them cut it up at the store so that I can have one that can fit in my Honda Accord and bring back to the hockey-less netherworld called the Tallahassee, Florida.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could divvy up the 2nd board? My original plan was splitting it into one 4x4 and two 2x4 pieces, the 4x4 for a more manageable board to use on the back patio to work on stickhandling, and the two smaller ones as two transportable shooting boards that can fit in the car.

For plyboards, what are the most durable, lightest, and cheapest options that I can get at Lowe's or techniques that people would recommend so that I can make it transportable...from scouting around at some of the local hardware stores, I already can tell the 8x4 shooting board is going to weigh a ton, so any ways to make it a little easier to get from the garage to the driveway would be ideal.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:21 PM
  #25
DelZottoLover
Registered User
 
DelZottoLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
How to make a custom shooting pad

Has anyone tried to make their own shooting pad and what did you use to make it?

DelZottoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.