HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers interested in Cornell goalie Ben Scrivens

Old
04-28-2010, 01:11 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
The flyers were also looking at another swedish goalie i think people were saying, Wesslau(sp). Any news on that front?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Kidna wierd...why would he go there to most likely play in the ECHL? Oh well. Like I had eariler in this thread, I had Brosky ahead of them all

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:19 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
When can we sign the Russian? After the KHL playoffs?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
When can we sign the Russian? After the KHL playoffs?
May 1st. which is the start of KHL free agency

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:23 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
May 1st. which is the start of KHL free agency
Crossing my fingers for the signing of him. Dude seems legit. Possible back up guy for us next year? Time will tell.

Old
04-28-2010, 01:23 PM
flountown

My ideal situation for goaltending would be: Sign Turco for hopefully 3 year $3-4 mil...or perhaps Dan Ellis for a bit less.

Next Year: Turco-Bouch, with Backlund, Bobrovsky, etc. playing equal time in the AHL;

Two Years: Turco-(whoever wins the AHL battle);

Three Years: Turco-(more time for last years winner);

Four years+: FRANCHISE GOALIE!

Obviously this is very hopeful, but I see the goal tending pool being extremely competitive since its the least available position. I wouldn't mind a Price/Halak but not if it means parting with JVR/Giroux. And for people who will try to tell me that Price is a 5th overall pick and should be getting something close to that in return, I think Lehtonen set the market for previous 1st round goalies who were beat out by other prospects in the system.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:28 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He was an undrafted UFA now, but once you sign the ELC you become part of the system and all the normal RFA rules apply.
Yes. Furthermore, because he turns 24 this year, a one-year ELC contract was the only option.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:34 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Crossing my fingers for the signing of him. Dude seems legit. Possible back up guy for us next year? Time will tell.
yeah same here, especially since he seems to have a good attitude about doing whatever it takes to get to the NHL even if it means spending time in the AHL.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Well, we weren't really in a position to get Giggy. Getting Gustavsson in the mix would have been quite nice, though. Hopefully we sign Bob, and it works out. Still think we need to concentrate on someone already with NHL success in the immediate, however.
The offseason will be challenging for Homer. Before July 1 He needs some cap room to resign RFAs like Coburn, Parent, Carcillo and Powe from the team. Have to assume that Asham probably won't be invited back.

He also needs to decide what he's doing in net. I'm assuming that if we do sign Bobrovsky, he'll start in the AHL.

To have any real flexibility, he's going to need to lose one biggish contract, either Carle or one of the NMC/NTC types, before/at the Draft.

Whether he has money to sign a UFA like Ellis or Turco or acquire and sign Price or another youngish goalie will depend how he does with cap room.

What I think will happen is this:

Sign Bobrovsky. Gives us a realistic future prospect in net in the AHL at least, pending Eriksson's arrival. Resign Backlund too, if he'll sign. He's worth another look.

Fails to persuade a NMC/NTC to waive, so we're stuck with them all.

Trade Matt Carle or Ryan Parent instead, for a young goalie - who we get depends on who we trade and what prospects we add to the deal.

Resign Krajicek cheaply, or promote one of the prospects, likely Bodrov, to the big club to start the season to play with Bartulis in the third pairing.

Failing a deal for a goalie who is ready, re-sign Leighton as 'Cheap Starting Goalie, The Sequel,' with Boucher as backup already under contract.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player.....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Jester

If they sign Leighton to be the starter, I'm going to lose it.

They absolutely need to shed salary, and trading Carle makes a ton of sense. I could also see them putting Hartnell on waivers and seeing if anyone picks him up if a trade can't be worked out.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Larry44

Quote:

They absolutely need to shed salary, and trading Carle makes a ton of sense. I could also see them putting Hartnell on waivers and seeing if anyone picks him up if a trade can't be worked out.
Just wanted to warn you about Leighton to help you prepare psychologically.

On the bright side, if Boosh wins the Cup and the Conn Smythe, Leighton will only be the backup!

I don't want to trade Carle, he is playing very well in big minutes, so I'd prefer to deal Briere or Hartnell, if they would waive, or even Gagne, who only has one year left iirc. So hard to predict what will happen, given that I suspect they've already been there, done that, said no thanks to Homer. Have to hope it doesn't come down to waiving Hartnell. Surely he would waive before being picked up by the Oilers, Leafs or Hurricanes on waivers? At least he would have some control over destination. I can't imagine any team passing him up on waivers, even at his salary...

Whatever happens, there will be no dull moments for us long suffering Flyer fans.

Last edited by Larry44: 04-28-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old
04-28-2010, 02:06 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The offseason will be challenging for Homer. Before July 1 He needs some cap room to resign RFAs like Coburn, Parent, Carcillo and Powe from the team. Have to assume that Asham probably won't be invited back.

He also needs to decide what he's doing in net. I'm assuming that if we do sign Bobrovsky, he'll start in the AHL.

To have any real flexibility, he's going to need to lose one biggish contract, either Carle or one of the NMC/NTC types, before/at the Draft.

Whether he has money to sign a UFA like Ellis or Turco or acquire and sign Price or another youngish goalie will depend how he does with cap room.

What I think will happen is this:

Sign Bobrovsky. Gives us a realistic future prospect in net in the AHL at least, pending Eriksson's arrival. Resign Backlund too, if he'll sign. He's worth another look.

Fails to persuade a NMC/NTC to waive, so we're stuck with them all.

Trade Matt Carle or Ryan Parent instead, for a young goalie - who we get depends on who we trade and what prospects we add to the deal.

Resign Krajicek cheaply, or promote one of the prospects, likely Bodrov, to the big club to start the season to play with Bartulis in the third pairing.

Failing a deal for a goalie who is ready, re-sign Leighton as 'Cheap Starting Goalie, The Sequel,' with Boucher as backup already under contract.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player.....
They are allowed to go over the cap inthe summer by a certain amount though right?

bodrov is an interesting case. Lukas ha sbeen bland really and that is ok for a #6 dman. If he will take a 750k 1 year deal sign him. Unless they thin bodrov is ready now then give him a shot as guys like lukas can be found at any time really. I would hope they have bodrov wokring out. Would have liked to see them call him up to practice during the playoffs to give him some exposure.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:10 PM
jb**

Quote:

Well if Shooter is to be believed he said teams looked to make a deal for him. If they want to move him i think they can as Shooter will just have to lay it out for hartnell that he will not work here any longer.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:25 PM
i am dave

Quote:
I am convinced that was a boldfaced lie.
I'm pretty sure I saw it on the internet, so it must be true.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Well if Shooter is to be believed he said teams looked to make a deal for him. If they want to move him i think they can as Shooter will just have to lay it out for hartnell that he will not work here any longer.
Hartnell has to waive his NTC to go to those teams, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw it on the internet, so it must be true.
Oh, no, he said it. I just think he was lying when he said he didn't know who Gustavsson was. It isn't like the dude was playing in some bohunk league, he was in one of the best pro leagues outside N.A. If Homer didn't know about a young, UFA goalie putting up good numbers over there...then he's asleep at the wheel, which I don't think is the case.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:49 PM
jb**

Quote:
Hartnell has to waive his NTC to go to those teams, though.

As i said he will need to lay it out for him. Accept a trade or go on waivers, ride a bus, so many ways to convince him to waive it.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
As i said he will need to lay it out for him. Accept a trade or go on waivers, ride a bus, so many ways to convince him to waive it.
Hartnell won't make it to the AHL. He scored 30 goals a year ago, he will be claimed by someone.

Old
04-28-2010, 03:03 PM
jb**

Quote:
Hartnell won't make it to the AHL. He scored 30 goals a year ago, he will be claimed by someone.
Probably so of they really want to cut the cord they will. However the slight hcance he wotn be claimed i would think would scare hartnell to death and i doubt he wants to play in ahl for the next few years.

Old
04-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Larry44

Quote:
So giving Homer a list of teams to whom he'd accept a trade is better for him than risking being claimed by one of the bottom feeders....

I heard a rumour that Phoenix was interested in him, would that be better than Edmonton, Toronto or Carolina? Would he go to Montreal for Price?

Should be a fun offseason.

Old
04-28-2010, 03:17 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
I would not mind signing Scrivens. But some people get overly excited or estatic, remember Cornell plays a strong defensive system. Anyone remember David Mckee? he was a Cornell goalie 5-6 years ago. Put up some insane numbers. The guy spent time in the ECHL and AHL struggling to put up a .900 save percentage. He is currently in the CHL.
So I am keeping things in perspective for Scrivens.
I share your sentiments 100%. There have been many goalies from Cornell that put up great numbers in college that couldn't even succeed at the AHL level.

2000-2002 Matt Underhill (GAA under 2.00, save %age over .920) 19 career AHL games in 4 professional seasons

2001-2003 David LeNeveu (GAA under 1.50, save %age near .940) currently in Europe (was starting goalie on Austrian league champions Salzburg)

2003-2006 David McKee (GAA under 2.00, save %age near .930) not even a good ECHL goalie

Even Jean-Marc Pelletier put up good numbers there as a backup for a season before going to juniors.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I share your sentiments 100%. There have been many goalies from Cornell that put up great numbers in college that couldn't even succeed at the AHL level.

2000-2002 Matt Underhill (GAA under 2.00, save %age over .920) 19 career AHL games in 4 professional seasons

2001-2003 David LeNeveu (GAA under 1.50, save %age near .940) currently in Europe (was starting goalie on Austrian league champions Salzburg)

2003-2006 David McKee (GAA under 2.00, save %age near .930) not even a good ECHL goalie

Even Jean-Marc Pelletier put up good numbers there as a backup for a season before going to juniors.
And didn't they once have a kid from Hamilton named Dryden???

Old
04-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
So giving Homer a list of teams to whom he'd accept a trade is better for him than risking being claimed by one of the bottom feeders....

I heard a rumour that Phoenix was interested in him, would that be better than Edmonton, Toronto or Carolina? Would he go to Montreal for Price?

Should be a fun offseason.
I'm sure there are some places he may accept a trade to...just a question of whether they would like him. PHX is an interesting place right now. Up and coming team perhaps, but completely up in the air as an organization.

Old
04-28-2010, 03:23 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
I forget who, but I remember seeing an interview a while ago from a player regarding NTC/NMC issues, basically saying that when a player knows the team wants to move them and go in another direction, they'll usually waive it without much problem as long as it's a trade that's somewhat fair to them. Those clauses are really just for the players to stop teams from sending them to a garbage organization, and not so much to keep them where they are...

In short, if Homer sat down with Hartnell and said they wanted to deal him to a half-decent team, I don't think Hartnell would put up much of a fight, let alone force them to send him to the AHL.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 03:23 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Toronto got Scrivens. Looks like we really need to sign the Russian.

Per - TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=319772

Old
04-28-2010, 03:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Toronto got Scrivens. Looks like we really need to sign the Russian.

Per - TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=319772
Toronto got Scrivens too? Haha jeez. They're really loading up. Gustavsson, Gigeure, Rynnas, and Scrivens.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote