HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign Prospect D Kevin Connauton

Old
04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
The Cowboy Poet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Sign Sauve next plz.
Good point! We're only a few years for some home grown help on defense!

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:52 PM
NuxFan09

Great news! Gillis didn't waste any time with this one. Hopefully he has a great rookie season for the Moose next year!

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:56 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cowboy Poet View Post
Good point! We're only a few years for some home grown help on defense!
Hopefully we can get Andersson over after next year.

He's a BIG d-man.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Connautons cap hit is $681,666. Nice cheap callup option that we will see plenty of over the next 3 years. Sauve's contract will likely be between 700-800K. If either breaks into the lineup within the next three years that would be huge as it frees up cap room to be allocated to other areas.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Wow. He put up some pretty darn good numbers this season. Looks to be quite the offensive-minded player - but I've never seen him play. Anybody know how his defensive game looks?

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Wetcoaster

Contract breakdown from Capgeek.com:
http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...d=112494&pos=D

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 01:01 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Moose could be fairly exciting next year... with the potential exit of arniel.. you have to think the heat are really wishing they had the rights to canucks players.
AHL teams with lots of 'good NHL prospects' on them tend to suck. The teams that excel in the AHL are teams with a lot of veteran/experienced NHL talent.

If the Moose are dressing 4 young defenders in Connauton/Sauve/Oberg/Ellington on a regular basis next year, they're going to allow a lot of goals and lose a lot of games. That group might have a fair bit of potential, but in terms of 'right now' they aren't going to be very good at that level.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 01:59 AM
xtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
If the Moose are dressing 4 young defenders in Connauton/Sauve/Oberg/Ellington on a regular basis next year, they're going to allow a lot of goals and lose a lot of games. That group might have a fair bit of potential, but in terms of 'right now' they aren't going to be very good at that level.

completely true however in the case of the heat i belive that having nucks prospects on the roster would sell them more tickets than winning would. because in this market the Canucks are number one

xtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:48 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
I'm sure it will be done very soon after Sauve's season ends. Hopefully the Sea Dogs get to the Mem Cup so it won't be for awhile. I would expect it to be close to Connauton's contract.
I'd expect it to be slightly higher based solely on the fact that he was a 2nd round pick. For example Taylor Ellington's cap hit is 875K () because he was the third pick in the 2nd round. Based on that I would expect Sauve to be in the 780-830K when you factor in bonuses and whatnot.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 04:18 AM
Askel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
AHL teams with lots of 'good NHL prospects' on them tend to suck. The teams that excel in the AHL are teams with a lot of veteran/experienced NHL talent.

Very true hopefully the Moose can add a few AHL vets to play wth the youngsters. Baumer Nycholat and one more mean big guy, would give them decent depht.

Connatuon-Baumer
Nycholat-Sauve
Oberg- Big mean guy
Ellington-

Upfront I hope Keane stays another year and that Canucks Signs Krog or someone else to help the young guys lead the offense.

I think its good to have a successfull farmteam and a winning tradition throughout the line-up.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Wetcoaster

Story in The Province on Kevin Connauton today:
Quote:
(He) has just finished a WHL season that saw him put up 24 goals, 72 points, a plus-four rating and 107 penalty minutes in 69 regular season games.

He then had three goals, 13 points, an even rating and 21 penalty minutes in 16 playoff encounters.

He broke Jon Blum's 2007-08 team record for goals in a season by a defenceman (18) and Brent Regner's 2008-09 club standard for points by a blueliner (67).

Perhaps more importantly, Connauton's defensive game improved dramatically as the season wore on.

At the start of the campaign, he was routinely out of position, the victim of a haphazard man-to-man system taught at Western Michigan. By years end, the 6-foot-1, 196-pounder had become a steady, stable guy in his own zone.

"I've learned a ton of things," said Connauton, who was a minus-seven in his first 17 games and a plus-11 through 12 February games, for example. "Since Day 1, I've been working hard with the coaching staff and all the other guys on the team. I think just everything about my game has improved and I'm learning how to be a complete player.

"I think I'm a lot closer to being a pro player. I'm a lot more confident out there. I really think I've rounded out my game. There's room for improvement, but I think I've taken a few steps up the ladder."
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...763/story.html

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Agent007

This is what our depth on defence looks like heading into next season:

1.Erhoff
2.Edler
3.Salo
4.Bieksa
5.SOB
6.Rome (needs 2 more games to be RFA instead of a UFA)
7.Alberts
8.Sweatt
9.Baumgartner
10.Oberg
11.Connauton
12.Sauve
13.Ellington
14.Zimmerman
15.Funk

Zimmerman and Funk may not get resigned while a guy like Fredheim might get a contract. We'll add at least one maybe two NHL defencemen and we'll likely add at least one vetern AHL defencemen (perhaps resign Nycholat).

If we do add one NHL defencemen and one vetern AHL defencemen then it should give us pretty good depth on defence heading into next season.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
This is what our depth on defence looks like heading into next season:

1.Erhoff
2.Edler
3.Salo
4.Bieksa
5.SOB
6.Rome (needs 2 more games to be RFA instead of a UFA)
7.Alberts
8.Sweatt
9.Baumgartner
10.Oberg
11.Connauton
12.Sauve
13.Ellington
14.Zimmerman
15.Funk

Zimmerman and Funk may not get resigned while a guy like Fredheim might get a contract. We'll add at least one maybe two NHL defencemen and we'll likely add at least one vetern AHL defencemen (perhaps resign Nycholat).

If we do add one NHL defencemen and one vetern AHL defencemen then it should give us pretty good depth on defence heading into next season.
Nice breakdown. I think if you insert a veteran around Bieksa and a guy that can be called up around Baumer we're looking pretty good.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Anonymous User

How about signing Travis Ramsay? He is a 6'5 stay at home d-man who plays physical and has been the Moose best defenseman with all of their injuries. He wants to stay with the Moose for next season, but is a free agent.

Anonymous User is offline   Reply With Quote