HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Which Injury Hurts Us the Most?

Old
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
The Flyers won without Carter this year, didn't they? When they were absent Lap and Betts, hoo boy, they stank.
Laperriere didn't miss a single regular season game ...

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Laperriere didn't miss a single regular season game ...
Have I a faulty memory?

Yes I do.

Who were they missing when their penalty kill struggled so?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:33 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Have I a faulty memory?

Yes I do.

Probably just Betts. They have some weird record with and without Powe, but he's not exactly Mr. PK.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:16 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
It can. Now other then Betts, show me who else is willing to do it with the frequency as he does.
Amongst our forwards in the regular season? No one (Kimmo, Coburn, Pronger and Carle all had more blocks on the year but its not really fair to compare their numbers to his).

Amongst our forwards in the play-offs? Probably at least half of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Someone should teach Carter about being 6'3".
He's not exactly intimidating, but the reach helps defensively and he'd be a lot easier to move off the puck were he 5'10''. that's all I was getting at.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 05:01 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

I do have no idea if this question is serious. Anyone not saying Carter is clueless. The guy is a game changer.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:29 AM
Black Ice

I haven't answered because I think it's kind of obvious. Carter.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

For this upcoming series, I'd say Lappy because Carter wasn't 100%, and because Gagne hadn't been putting up points. If Carter wasn't already injured at the time he got hurt (again) then it would obviously be him, and in the long run it definitely is him.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
flyersfan1221

None more than the other...

...they are three different players who each do there respective jobs very well. Our minor system is depleted and I don't know if it's possible to replace all that has been lost. On the other hand, The coaches will try to adjust and build around the available talent while others like Hartnell will need to pick up their games.
Gagne-two way wing / losing the left handed shot on the right side is a big loss and will be difficult to replace.

Lappy - what can be said that has not already been said. A heart and soul guy that kills penalties like very few other anywhere in the league. You lose priceless leadership.

Carter - Top scoring forward on the team. Racks up a ton of ice time and creates mismatches when we have the last change.

Last edited by flyersfan1221: 04-29-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: sp
flyersfan1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 02:33 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Have I a faulty memory?

Yes I do.

I don't remember what the record was with both Betts and Powe out but I know it stunk compared to when they are both in.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 02:38 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
He's not exactly intimidating, but the reach helps defensively and he'd be a lot easier to move off the puck were he 5'10''. that's all I was getting at.

He's a big, strong kid. He needs to throw it around.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I haven't read before this page so please forgive me if I repeat others.

To me all three ultimately really hurts. All three are key defensive players and remove one quarter of the forwards... tough to replace in a depth depleted system. Carter and Gagne also are a key to the offense even when not scoring, as they mean the opposing teams have to cover them with the respect that scorers and members of the 30-40+ club deserves. They make room for the others and when on can really contribute quite a bit... As with many scorers they can be streaky, and when in a streak can be game breakers. They have to be treated with respect, hot or not... And they are two way players who kill penalties and are keys on the PK. Carter also has been our top face-off percentage player, IIRC, and at least at one point had a better rate than even Betts.

Lappy may not be the two way player the other two are but he makes up for his lack of offensive prowess with his relentless and fearless penalty killing. There is no player that I can recall that works harder or smarter than him shorthanded... He plays a regular shift and can chip in on offense at times, and at times in key times. He rarely ever hurts you on offense and won't on defense. Added to that he adds toughness that the other two don't; he will not only play tough, but he will fight and will fight when he feels the team needs a fight... He is a main chamber of the heart of the team, both on and off the ice... With Betts they make up an exceptional PK unit that cannot be match on this team without either.

All that said, while I believe that the combination of the three may be too much to overcome, I believe that Lappy's injury will be the one that cannot be made up for, by committee, or by any player playing over their heads.

I do think however that the loss of Lappy will be less felt against the Bruins than it would have been against the Caps... But, IMO, the Flyers have to cut down on their short handed situations... and the Officials have to let the players play and not call every little thing, as seems to be the thing in this postseason.

Sorry to be so long winded here, and at times stating the obvious..

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 01:20 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Pronger: "I'm day to day with hurt feelings."

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
We're going to miss all three guys, not one just individually.

Carter and Gagne provide great play at both ends of the ice. Laperriere for his lead by example attitude and willing to leave it all on the ice to get the 'W'...and let's not forget all three are major contributors on the PK, which is going hurt the most as this will be a very rugged, tight battle with lot's of special teams play I would imagine.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Emery.

The only reason we forget about him is because it happened a long time ago, and Boucher had such a great round 1, but one fart by Boucher and we'll be missing our starter.

For the record I really hope to be proven wrong.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Emery.

The only reason we forget about him is because it happened a long time ago, and Boucher had such a great round 1, but one fart by Boucher and we'll be missing our starter.

For the record I really hope to be proven wrong.
I'm not sure anyone has forgotten about Emery/our goaltending, it's just that the point has been moot with him for a long, long time.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Lomark

Against the Bruins? 1.Carter 2.Gagne 3.Lappy

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
CptCannon

I'm saying Gagne.

Offensively: Carter > Gagne > Lappy
Defensively: Lappy > Gagne > Carter

If one's gotta be chosen to be back as soon as possible, I'd choose he middle dude. Best of those three in overall.

Simon is a key guy on both PP and PK while the two others are not so much. Of course Carter is a HUGE factor on PP but he rarely plays PK.. mostly when one of Richie/Lappy/Gagne/Betts in the box and/or those four are dead-tired. There are Powe+Giroux to fill in aswell.
And Lappy's never on PP.

One thing I hope more than anything, that being wouldn't rush anyone back too soon. Rather give, Gagne for example, a few more days off than force him to get back and get re-injured really bad.

If the games are pretty even, why bother to rush him back to, let's say, game four. The guys playing aren't getting dominated.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 01:06 PM
infidelappel*

I personally don't see how people can think it's a clear-cut decision in favor of Carter, if they've actually watched round 1.

Carter was not back at 100%, and wasn't being utilized in the same ways that made him our best player in the regular season. With the exception of the game in which he was injured, he really didn't do much offensively. Yes, he helps take attention from other players and plays well on the defensive side of the puck, but his contributions were not as big as Gagne's or Lappy's.

Moreover, I might even go so far as to say that, even at 100%, Carter is not as big of a loss as people think, based on the fact that he lead the team in scoring in the regular season. Carter has yet to demonstrate the ability to turn in huge performances in the playoffs when it counts (he's floating at under .5 PPG), so I don't buy the argument that he is a gamebreaker...because I can't recall too many instances of him actually taking over a playoff game. Hell, he only has 4 more points that Giroux in three times as many playoff games...granted, he plays better defensively, but I think his 'big game impact' is severely overrated at this point in his career.

Does he have the potential to dominate games? Yes, but he hasn't done it yet.

...Anyway, I think Lappy's the biggest loss. You can't just do what he does; other people have the talent to fill in for Carter by committee. I also think losing Gagne hurts a lot, too - he was playing very solid defensively, especially on the PK, and his physicality (from Gagne? srsly?) on the forecheck directly led to some of Carcillo's scoring plays.

Lappy > Gagne > Carter, in terms of how they were actually playing. If Carter were 100% when we lost him, I still might say Lappy > Carter > Gagne.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 02:23 PM
donnieb

I wonder how Gagne's MRI went today?

donnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Lappy and Carter. We've been successful without Gags on different occasions. We'll obviously miss his speed on the forecheck and he was playing fairly physical with Richie and Carcillo as well. The lack of finish and the high and wides were driving me nuts against the Devils though. Didn't seem like he could hit the net unless he was shooting back against the grain IMO.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Savynquick*

Seems like an odd topic to go 3 pages. They all hurt, does it matter which more? Maybe lappy would have scored game 7 OT winner, who knows. You have to do what you can with what you've got.

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 05:47 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
I think the puck in the face hurts the most, especially with it busting up the orbital bone and almost blinding Lappy . . . maybe breaking your foot twice is pretty ****** too though.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Seems like an odd topic to go 3 pages. They all hurt, does it matter which more? Maybe lappy would have scored game 7 OT winner, who knows. You have to do what you can with what you've got.
I'm not following that... What 7th game OT would or could he have scored?

PS: Your avatar reminds me of a turkey. haha

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 10:20 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I'm not following that... What 7th game OT would or could he have scored?

PS: Your avatar reminds me of a turkey. haha
I think he's saying he could have scored one in an upcoming series, for all we know. And that therefore, his heroism would be missed the most....though that's an awfully speculative way of going about it.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Carter.

Gagne is a great 2-way player, but it's not like he was lighting the world on fire while Carter was Hartnell-ing around. Gags had 2 assists, Carter had 2 goals, 1 assist, all in his last game. To me, at least, he looked like he was breaking out again. Plus, having Carter allows you to have a very good defensive forward, who may not be as good as Richie but is YEARS (Centuries...millennia...) ahead of Briere. I mean, Christ, if we have Carter, Briere isn't ******** around with Krejci and Bergeron today.

Lappy is a huge loss on the PK, of course he is. But Carter is a good PK'er as well. The only reason he wasn't playing the PK is because we could afford to have him recover while we had guys like Lappy, Betts, and Powe on the PK.

Seriously, even when Carter wasn't producing goals, he was playing good defense on a broken foot. Why is this a question?

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote